BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Trickle Charging - How To

08-13-2019, 12:15 AM   #23
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F87

It was my understanding that the cigarette lighter socket is disconnected from the battery via software-controlled circuit after the car has been switched off for a period of time. The last BMWs you could actually charge through the cigarette lighter 24x7 are the E85/E86 Z4 M Coupe and E46 M3, which are pretty old now.

Please let me know if that's not the case and it's been confirmed that we can indeed use a trickle charger via the cigarette lighter socket. I'd be genuinely surprised if it's supported in any F-series BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #24
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Please let me know if that's not the case and it's been confirmed that we can indeed use a trickle charger via the cigarette lighter socket. I'd be genuinely surprised if it's supported in any F-series BMW.
I can confirm you can NOT
Appreciate 1
ried608.50

11-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
cy88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Miata RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachbluem2 View Post
Reviving old thread. In preparing for winter hibernation, I figured I'd post how I wired the CTEK comfort connector. I have it connected in the trunk next to the battery so the IBS isn't bypassed. Hope this helps

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just want to say that this works wonder for me!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #26
Prodigy.
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Great thread.

Question..can the charger be left connected for an extended period of time, say a month or so, or does it need to be removed once the battery is fully charged?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #27
SlowM2C
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition 6spd

Any decent battery maintainer like Deltran can be left connected to an AGM battery indefinitely. You will need to connect the leads directly to the battery in the trunk.

http://products.batterytender.com/Au...12V-0-75A.html
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #28
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Does the hood of the car have to be open or can I shut it?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #29
Altra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscdman View Post
Does the hood of the car have to be open or can I shut it?
You can shut it, not the whole way. Just gently lower the hood until it latches once and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:17 AM   #30
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi Prodigy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Question..can the charger be left connected for an extended period of time, say a month or so, or does it need to be removed once the battery is fully charged?
Sorry for the delay - only just seen your question now

The answer is that you can leave this for an extended period of time: I have the CTEK charger as you know from the pictures/process and it's designed to remain connected almost indefinitely.

Once it reaches "full" charge, it performs a regular top up pulse to keep the charge full on the car. The manual mentions that it continues to monitor the battery to keep the charge between 95% & 100%, providing a pulse every now and then to maintain this.

The usual caveats on this advice apply: car & battery should be in good condition, and its best to try charging a couple of time while you are around to monitor it and make sure that there are no issues

I've left both my BMW's on extended charge for over a month a few times (when I've been away on holidays) and the cars have been fine when I've returned.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
David
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I just bought the CTEK. Can we use the recondition feature on the M2 AGM battery
Appreciate 0