BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Adaptive Headlights aimed too high??

04-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Adaptive Headlights aimed too high??

Hi everyone,

I recently went on a night drive with some fellow M2 owners and one of my buddies pointed out that the headlights on our cars are abnormally bright (I was mainly following behind him for most of the drive). That same evening I also got high-beamed by an oncoming driver. Upon arriving home, I did notice in fact that my headlights were aimed quite high. In accessory mode, the headlights seem to aim at a normal height, but as soon as I start the car, I notice them adjust in a way that points them higher. The odd thing is that when making turns, they seem to drop in height, only to spring back up when I straighten up.

I have coded VLD using expert mode in Bimmercode, but restored the FEM using the restore button in the app thinking it would help. I'm thinking of going back into Expert Mode to double check that VLD did in fact restore to its default, but haven't gotten the time. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue? Any solutions?

TIA!
      04-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You must have adaptive lights, they will lower and spread out at low speed turns amongst other irritating things.

Try putting rotary light control switch to ON instead of AUTO, this disables all the fancy auto headlights garbage and gives you steady fixed lights just like a "normal" car.

Any light adjustment checks have to done in this mode, try it and see if it is better, if it is then your auto function / calibration is screwy.
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      05-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You must have adaptive lights, they will lower and spread out at low speed turns amongst other irritating things.

Try putting rotary light control switch to ON instead of AUTO, this disables all the fancy auto headlights garbage and gives you steady fixed lights just like a "normal" car.

Any light adjustment checks have to done in this mode, try it and see if it is better, if it is then your auto function / calibration is screwy.
Thanks for the tip! Ill try the coding adjustments in the ON mode. I noticed that even in ON mode they aim high.
      05-02-2020, 03:55 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

In ON mode the self leveling still works but not the adaptive features like beam spreading and cornering turn etc.
Appreciate 0