BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs 992

09-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
IronCore864
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2C

M2 vs 992

Did a test drive of 992 c2s, full option, my current drive is m2c. Simple review of the 992:

1. Seats

Sitting position: low, although not very low. M2 sitting position is much higher even if you adjust it to the lowest. Enough wheel/chair adjustment to find a comfy position, much better knee-to-dash room than 718.

14 way electric seats much harder than M2c, not very comfy, after 4 hour test drive my back hurt. As daily driver it's fine, but I'd prefer to do long distance tours in M2c than this.

Lumbar support adjustment range is much much smaller than M2c. It's better than none, but doesn't really help much in my case.

No lateral support cause the seat is just too wide. I'm not skinny, nor fat, but during cornering, there is no support at all in the waist area.

2. Drive

Steering wheel feels skinny, not a bad thing though; M2c steering wheel is fat, but it's not bad either.

PASM normal is good enough on normal B road, sport is too harshy bumpy. The ride is much nicer than the 718 T I test drove last week.

Sport exhaust sounds deeper and a little louder. I can live with normal mode so I guess I can save a few quid here. When driving at higher speed, it actually feels quieter than my M2c, I guess it's because it has 8 gears so the rev is low and the engine is further from the driver.

Never did launch control during the 4 hour 160km test drive. I figured if I didn't do it in somebody else's car, I'd definitely not do it in my own car. So I can save two grand here again. I know it has active engine mount but I don't really know how different it would feel if it hadn't got it. In real life I'm not gonna drive one with it then immediately drive another one without, so I think I can live without it. If I had made the order before my test drive, I'd probably choose chrono, now I can save the money.

Rear wheel steering didn't really feel it, can save money again.

Not sure how much PDCC changes the ride either, because the low body roll could just be that it has a much lower center of weight than M2c.

As a summary, nothing from the Antrieb und Fahrwerk section is a must-have for me. I'd probably only get the 90L fuel tank.

In addition, I feel the gas pedal is less responsive than M2 in sport plus mode. It's fast, but I think mainly because of the PDK: when you press gas hard it drops down a few gears. Tried in manual mode no change down acceleration, somehow feels less torquey than M2c. Had a Golf GTI DSG before and it felt the same.

3. Interior

A few things probably everyone already knew from other reviews:

The two outter most dash can't be seen because blocked by the steering wheel. When in sat nav mode, it blocks where you are on the map perfectly so you have to look at the main LCD screen in the middle;

No physical AC on/off button so you have to poke the touch screen many times, so is exhaust mode/auto start-stop.

For me the sat nav is weird and I don't like it. when it prompts you to turn or exit, in that status, you can't change between north-up/forward-up because it is "not possible at the moment".

Gear lever weirdly I can live with.

At the end of the day, I didn't make the order right away, although I have played with the configurator for months before the test drive. I wasn't fully convinced. In my region the price of c2s is more than doubled than my M2c, but I don't really feel it worths that. In the end I probably still will make the order, but it's mainly becuase the lack of options in this price range (don't like the look of AMG GT), rather than I really love it.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      09-04-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Thanks for the review.
Seeing videos in a straight line thru gears 100-200kmh 992S 'destroys' even a GT3RS and M5Comp in about 7s.

M2C stock about 10-11s

That's a big difference

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
You need to sit in the adaptive 18 way seats. Far superior to the 14 way.
Appreciate 1
ReRe397.50
      10-21-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
You need to sit in the adaptive 18 way seats. Far superior to the 14 way.
Agreed. 14 ways are notorious on the P forums. It's with her you love em or hate em.

Also, I'd highly recommend sport chrono if you ever plan on selling the car in the future.