BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Paint Issue or Repaired ?

08-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #23
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

I’m with the last two posters. Sure, I’d be upset if in a similar situation, but BMW said they’d repaint the panel, so what’s the issue? Why all the lawyers and conversation-recording and all that? Your angst and anxiety is unwarranted IMO - get it repainted, get new PPF a month or so later, and forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #24
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

I appreciate your candor, I truly do..

I shared our situation (as I see many others doing) in hopes that this might help someone in the future and to gain insight from the community. The information/advice shared by the community is a great value to me. The responses I received to my inquiry we're extremely informative. The paint does "appear" to be corrected outside the factory but we just weren't sure. This is business and unfortunately, one has to prepare/protect themselves as a consumer. Is that wrong ? Are we loosing sleep over this, no. Are we feeling anxiety(angst). Absolutely not as we've done nothing wrong. Do we feel we're being lied to. Unfortunately, yes. Am I documenting everything that occurs. Yes. A dealerships "word" is worthless in my opinion.

Would anyone find it acceptable to discover that you "potentially" purchased a repaired vehicle. One that had no record of the repair or it's extent. Would you feel this is something out of your control as a consumer and shrug this off as nothing more than an inconvenience and absorb the loss and incurred expenses. All of which is rhetorical.

Thanks to all who provided their input. I truly appreciate it.

///Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
I’m with the last two posters. Sure, I’d be upset if in a similar situation, but BMW said they’d repaint the panel, so what’s the issue? Why all the lawyers and conversation-recording and all that? Your angst and anxiety is unwarranted IMO - get it repainted, get new PPF a month or so later, and forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #25
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

At least you have some recourse with the dealer. I am not so lucky.

I bought mine from an out of state dealer and had it shipped to me. Somewhere along the shipping process, the shipper decided to re-paint my front bumper and did an absolutely horrible job. There are multiple runs in the paint and over spray everywhere.

I basically have no recourse because the shipper is denying they did anything. I got a quote to make a full repair, which was to replace the front bumper cover, emblems and reflectors, paint, install, etc. The quote is $2100. They claim the cost to properly repaint the front bumper is same cost as replacing since they have to sand it down to bare plastic so the paint does not become too thick and crack later.

Shipping company will not respond to me, the shipping broker or the dealership I purchased from. It's pretty frustrating.

The shipping broker has agreed to not bill the dealership for the shipping who can then give that money over to me ($800), but that's the extent I am going to get, it seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #26
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. This is truly a difficult situation given the fact that the selling dealership appears to have severed the relationship. A couple of questions come to mind.

Was the vehicle new ?
Any relationship between the dealer and transport agency (broker) ?
How long was the vehicle in transport ?
We're you able to track the vehicle via GPS (I bet the shipping company did) ?
Was an inspection report provided to you by the shipper (pre/post delivery) ?
Did the dealer inspect the vehicle prior to transport ?
Any complaints filed with the BBB (shipper; dealership) ?
Did you retain the web photos of the vehicle (to prove it's condition) hosted by the dealer ? Can you still acquire these ?
Mileage recorded prior to and after shipment ?
Was the agreement to deliver the vehicle direct to residence ?

Realizing that both entities are 'ghosting' you at the moment, I'd persist using all means available to you. We live in a digital age and there is most definitely some information somewhere regarding this vehicle.

Sometimes it's easier to just give up and get the vehicle corrected and move on. However, it's a matter of principal to me which is why I'm so cautious in situations such as these. We sold our previous vehicle to a private (out-of-state) seller and not only had a local dealership inspect the vehicle but also required that the shipping company provide an inspection as well. This all occurred and we observed the shipping company pull the vehicle onto a flat bed basically damaging the exhaust tips. We made sure it was noted on the document and we immediately sent photos to the buyer in the event this information was "misplaced".

///Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
At least you have some recourse with the dealer. I am not so lucky.

I bought mine from an out of state dealer and had it shipped to me. Somewhere along the shipping process, the shipper decided to re-paint my front bumper and did an absolutely horrible job. There are multiple runs in the paint and over spray everywhere.

I basically have no recourse because the shipper is denying they did anything. I got a quote to make a full repair, which was to replace the front bumper cover, emblems and reflectors, paint, install, etc. The quote is $2100. They claim the cost to properly repaint the front bumper is same cost as replacing since they have to sand it down to bare plastic so the paint does not become too thick and crack later.

Shipping company will not respond to me, the shipping broker or the dealership I purchased from. It's pretty frustrating.

The shipping broker has agreed to not bill the dealership for the shipping who can then give that money over to me ($800), but that's the extent I am going to get, it seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #27
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

So, Monica, it sounds like you are getting the car repaired at no cost to you, so that's good. Sure, you may have to pay a few hundred for the PPF, but that's peanuts compared to what could have been, so I wouldn't sweat it.

As for diminished value, that's usually after a car has been in an accident and body panels have been repaired or replaced and maybe a bit of frame straightening, and of course paint work. All of that diminishes the value of the car.

A small spot repaint (which we all know is often done without our knowledge and when done right - like at the VPC - is usually done without future detection) is no big deal and really won't affect the future value of the car. It may not even show up in the Carfax.

I suggest that you do not pursue a DV claim, because a) you won't win and b) you'll just annoy BMW, and they'll be less likely to help you out if something else comes up.

What I do suggest is that you keep all the paperwork, pictures, etc. documenting that it was a very minor paint defect that was repaired. This way you can show any future prospective buyer that it was not caused by an accident and should therefore not diminish the value of the car in any way.

If the shop does remove some of the PPF and doesn't replace it, then it would be reasonable to nicely ask BMW to cover the cost, but I wouldn't have high hopes.

Best of luck.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      08-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

In case you would like to check the car paint, use a paint thickness gauge:

For example:

08-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #29
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
Her screen name has /// in front of her name, of course she's going to be all nerdy about everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #30
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
So, Monica, it sounds like you are getting the car repaired at no cost to you, so that's good. Sure, you may have to pay a few hundred for the PPF, but that's peanuts compared to what could have been, so I wouldn't sweat it.

As for diminished value, that's usually after a car has been in an accident and body panels have been repaired or replaced and maybe a bit of frame straightening, and of course paint work. All of that diminishes the value of the car.

A small spot repaint (which we all know is often done without our knowledge and when done right - like at the VPC - is usually done without future detection) is no big deal and really won't affect the future value of the car. It may not even show up in the Carfax.

I suggest that you do not pursue a DV claim, because a) you won't win and b) you'll just annoy BMW, and they'll be less likely to help you out if something else comes up.

What I do suggest is that you keep all the paperwork, pictures, etc. documenting that it was a very minor paint defect that was repaired. This way you can show any future prospective buyer that it was not caused by an accident and should therefore not diminish the value of the car in any way.

If the shop does remove some of the PPF and doesn't replace it, then it would be reasonable to nicely ask BMW to cover the cost, but I wouldn't have high hopes.

Best of luck.

It won't show up on carfax unless there was a police report, or insurance claim reported.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #31
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. This is truly a difficult situation given the fact that the selling dealership appears to have severed the relationship. A couple of questions come to mind.

Was the vehicle new ?
Any relationship between the dealer and transport agency (broker) ?
How long was the vehicle in transport ?
We're you able to track the vehicle via GPS (I bet the shipping company did) ?
Was an inspection report provided to you by the shipper (pre/post delivery) ?
Did the dealer inspect the vehicle prior to transport ?
Any complaints filed with the BBB (shipper; dealership) ?
Did you retain the web photos of the vehicle (to prove it's condition) hosted by the dealer ? Can you still acquire these ?
Mileage recorded prior to and after shipment ?
Was the agreement to deliver the vehicle direct to residence ?

Realizing that both entities are 'ghosting' you at the moment, I'd persist using all means available to you. We live in a digital age and there is most definitely some information somewhere regarding this vehicle.

Sometimes it's easier to just give up and get the vehicle corrected and move on. However, it's a matter of principal to me which is why I'm so cautious in situations such as these. We sold our previous vehicle to a private (out-of-state) seller and not only had a local dealership inspect the vehicle but also required that the shipping company provide an inspection as well. This all occurred and we observed the shipping company pull the vehicle onto a flat bed basically damaging the exhaust tips. We made sure it was noted on the document and we immediately sent photos to the buyer in the event this information was "misplaced".

///Monika
Thanks for that -

The M2 is a 2018 with 6500 miles on it. Other than the bumper being repainted by the shipper, the car was 100% immaculate. I did not get any pre/post inspection documents from the shipper. In fact, the guy literally left me there with the car without me even signing anything, which I thought was odd.

The dealership (BMW of Southpoint in North Carolina) was really good about helping me try to get restitution from the shipper, however, they were not successful. The broker got involved as well, but they also got zero response from repeated attempts at contacting the shipper.

In the end, the broker agreed to not invoice the BMW dealer for the shipping I paid and the dealer ended up cutting me a check this week for the shipping cost. I will use those monies (plus some of my own, I'm sure) to get it repaired and over with.

The only thing that bothers me is that the shipper just went silent after I provided them proof and in the end they get away with it. The broker says they are refusing to pay the shipper, so I guess they are out a little money, at least. They have been black-listed by the broker now and claim they have also told all of their partner brokers about it and asked them to do the same.

All that being said, I have seen a lot of people on forums talking about getting their bumpers/hoods, etc re-sprayed. What do you guys usually see for a cost on this? The one estimate I got claiming the bumper needing to be replaced seems like the ultra-high end of the spectrum at $2100.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #32
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes,

We're happy that BMW approved the repair. I'm also happy my husband is out of town as it will allow me to take the burden off him in dealing with scheduling, phone calls etc. to schedule the repair. It's time he start enjoying this car (birthday coming up soon - new parts coming).

Here is the last email sent to me earlier this week:
"The body shop will need the clear bra off that quarter panel and adjacent rear door. Once that is done we can schedule your vehicle in for the paint work ."

As for DV, it's too soon to tell regarding our position. Allow me to explain. Once the vehicle is repaired, they accept full responsibility in an attempt to make a correction (which is great) to a factory paint job. However, if the work is less than a factory finish, no further repairs will be performed (pause) and I'll address this with BMW/NA directly. I'm not looking for acts of kindness from this company and there should never be a perception that they do anything that doesn't benefit themselves. This is business and we have a factory warranty which they're required to honor regardless of me holding them accountable.

If the paint work is exceptional (and the reviews indicate it will be) then I believe we're good and we can move forward. Nothing else will be pursued and I'll have the film re-installed and consider this a lesson learned.

Here's a response from the dealer after I got the OK from the PPF installer to allow the body shop to remove the film:
"Our body shop is very capable of removing the clear. I just thought you preferred your guy do it. It is possible they might blend the door, not sure. The body shop is going to reach out to you for scheduling."

As you can see, this might be more than just a small area of repair. If we ever sell the car, regardless of Carfax being apprised or not, we/I'd feel it's our responsibility to disclose this to whomever we sell it to. I know it would effect resale value but it's the right thing to do. I believe my husband will keep the car for a good while, he loves this thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #33
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You know I can hear you right ? I'm going to develop a complex and probably start dropping the /// in front of my name now. Thanks for that ! (J/K).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Her screen name has /// in front of her name, of course she's going to be all nerdy about everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #34
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you Artemis. I'm pretty sure the dealer told us the rep used on to determine if the paint was factory. If we owned (surprised we don't) one I guarantee I would have used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In case you would like to check the car paint, use a paint thickness gauge:

For example:

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #35
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm happy to hear that at the very least, some of your expenses are recoverable. Have you considered filing a BBB complaint against the shipper. Might be worth a try if they've gone silent on you. Imagine if at least one person reads your complaint and decides to use another company. That's a win win even if it's not money in your pocket.

IND (vendor here) sells an OEM Competition Bumper painted (SKU: IND-M2-RETRO-PKG) with gloss black grill for 2395. I'm not sure if this helps put things into perspective as IND is on the higher end (products and price).

Take care and let me know how things turn out..

Monika (<--- See what happened here CosmosMPower ... )

Quote:
Thanks for that -

The M2 is a 2018 with 6500 miles on it. Other than the bumper being repainted by the shipper, the car was 100% immaculate. I did not get any pre/post inspection documents from the shipper. In fact, the guy literally left me there with the car without me even signing anything, which I thought was odd.

The dealership (BMW of Southpoint in North Carolina) was really good about helping me try to get restitution from the shipper, however, they were not successful. The broker got involved as well, but they also got zero response from repeated attempts at contacting the shipper.

In the end, the broker agreed to not invoice the BMW dealer for the shipping I paid and the dealer ended up cutting me a check this week for the shipping cost. I will use those monies (plus some of my own, I'm sure) to get it repaired and over with.

The only thing that bothers me is that the shipper just went silent after I provided them proof and in the end they get away with it. The broker says they are refusing to pay the shipper, so I guess they are out a little money, at least. They have been black-listed by the broker now and claim they have also told all of their partner brokers about it and asked them to do the same.

All that being said, I have seen a lot of people on forums talking about getting their bumpers/hoods, etc re-sprayed. What do you guys usually see for a cost on this? The one estimate I got claiming the bumper needing to be replaced seems like the ultra-high end of the spectrum at $2100.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #36
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm happy to hear that at the very least, some of your expenses are recoverable. Have you considered filing a BBB complaint against the shipper. Might be worth a try if they've gone silent on you. Imagine if at least one person reads your complaint and decides to use another company. That's a win win even if it's not money in your pocket.

IND (vendor here) sells an OEM Competition Bumper painted (SKU: IND-M2-RETRO-PKG) with gloss black grill for 2395. I'm not sure if this helps put things into perspective as IND is on the higher end (products and price).

Take care and let me know how things turn out..

Monika (<--- See what happened here CosmosMPower ... )
Here's the rub in regards to filing a complaint about the shipping company - I have only heard one mention of their name from the broker (TAD Trucking). They have absolutely no online presence, so it's hard to know who I am actually trying to report. The car shipping business as a whole really needs to come up to date with technology (like the ability for a customer to track via GPS). Sometimes I think this industry stays in the dark ages for situations like mine. They go and hide and don't have to assume responsibility for their own mistakes.

My last resort will be to attempt to sue them in small claims court. I have all of the evidence (tons of emails/pics/texts) and feel it's all in my favor - just have to decide if it's worth the hassle. My luck, I'd win the case and they'd still not pay up. The shipping company is based out of another city remote to me, so I don't even know if I'd file here or have to file where they are located. Much to research, short on time! I should just call Judge Judy.

Thanks for the tip about iND. I've ordered sooo much stuff from them over the last few years and know their stuff is pricey. Nice to see what a full cost for that item would be so I can gauge repair costs.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #37
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
The car shipping business as a whole really needs to come up to date with technology (like the ability for a customer to track via GPS).
The really good (i.e. expensive) shipping companies offer that service. The fly-by-night guys that most brokers use don't need or want to spend the extra money, because you're probably just a one-time customer.

I've shipped cars before, and yes, it's a real pain and you kind of throw the dice each time.

Quote:
You know I can hear you right ?
LOL. I guess the "NO GIRLZ ALLOWED" sign fell off of our tree fort. Right Hobbes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
It won't show up on carfax unless there was a police report, or insurance claim reported.
I don't think that this is accurate.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0