BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2020 Corvette C8 an M2 Killer?

07-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #67
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

[QUOTE=MystroX5;25052454]
Second is the horrific build quality from cheap GM controls the build materials will look nice for 6 months before they start to deteriorate and rattles appear everywhere. The exterior paint work will be thin and spotty at best. Fit and finish is not a theme GM has ever embraced as they build at a low quality price point. I would much rather GM build a high quality Corvette with better materials and charge $100k. Price point of the models shown at the release is perhaps high $88k usd?? Nobody wants the entry level Corvette as they are very low rent even by GM standards so forget the under $60k wow factor. You have to really hate your passenger to make them sit in the passenger seat as it looks as if they are quarantined.

I realize some GM products are exceeding cheap, however this looks nicely done. All hydro-formed aluminum, for a mid-engined car it appears to be constructed like any of the other high end exotics I've seen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
epic131.50
      07-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #68
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I highly doubt we will see a C8 under 75K for couple of years.

Well, Chevy had troubles cooling the V8 in a C7 Z06. What are the chances it will keep it cool in their first mid engine car?
As long as they keep it NA no issues.

Now, that bespoke Tremec DCT is a whole other story.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #69
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
Thought they couldn't move the exhaust tips closer to center like on M cars, because there were too many components in the way. From this pic that doesn't look like it's the case. You can see the downpipes on either side of the transmission. That's a fail, IMO the exhaust tips look not only too small, but also weird at the corners of the car. Wouldn't stop me from getting the car, just one of those why on Earth questions. Then again, one look at the G80 M3 and the C8 looks stellar in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #70
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

If this actually makes it to the UK in RHD form, I’ll be in one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #71
JacobBMW14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Thought they couldn't move the exhaust tips closer to center like on M cars, because there were too many components in the way. From this pic that doesn't look like it's the case. You can see the downpipes on either side of the transmission. That's a fail, IMO the exhaust tips look not only too small, but also weird at the corners of the car. Wouldn't stop me from getting the car, just one of those why on Earth questions. Then again, one look at the G80 M3 and the C8 looks stellar in comparison.
There are pictures of test mules with the exhaust tips in the middle and air outlets on the sides where the exhaust tips are now on the C8 Stingray. Chevy will eventually come out with another version of the C8 and it’s rumored to have a twin turbo V8.. maybe they will move the exhaust to the middle on the upcoming model to increase engine air flow/cooling. Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #72
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The new design is train wreck.
Having owned a few Corvettes before my German cars...The few truths about the GM Corvette has always been their performance numbers are never even close to what the owner can actually obtain. Case in point all the videos of the current Z51 Stingrays that struggle to get below 5 seconds 0-60mph. Even one video had a GM test driver trying to get the best times and was left at just under 5 seconds 0-60mph. Second is the horrific build quality from cheap GM controls the build materials will look nice for 6 months before they start to deteriorate and rattles appear everywhere. The exterior paint work will be thin and spotty at best. Fit and finish is not a theme GM has ever embraced as they build at a low quality price point. I would much rather GM build a high quality Corvette with better materials and charge $100k. Price point of the models shown at the release is perhaps high $88k usd?? Nobody wants the entry level Corvette as they are very low rent even by GM standards so forget the under $60k wow factor. You have to really hate your passenger to make them sit in the passenger seat as it looks as if they are quarantined.
Last year I tried to help my elderly neighbor do a few runs in his 2017 Z51 Stingray since he knows I have the tech gear to measure performance and our best Draggy times were just at 4.97 seconds 0-60mph.. It is suppose to be a "3 second car." To put that in perspective, my latest 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport luxury/muscle SUV does 4 seconds flat with half a tank of gas and not using launch control with the same Draggy unit. Funny thing is the BMW can do those times all day long.

Break down of the new design:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...3316385B719171

Last Z51 Stingray performance 0-60mph
Interesting view. I have been surprised by the number of C8 vs threads. When I first saw the car, then the price, my first thought was "where did they cut the cost on this car". $60k for a 3 second mid engine car? Something has to give, seems a bit too good to be true.

In any case this car will sell well based on the initial marketing. However, the Camaro has proven to be a spectacular car, yet GM can't give them away. I live in a large city and I barely ever see Camaros. There are tons of used Camaros on AutoTrader and the like.

I hope that GM genuinely got this car right, though I can't see myself in one. I heard the new Porsche Cayman GTS is getting the same 4.0 liter motor from the GT4 next year, just detuned to about 410hp. If I find the need for a mid-engined car, that would be my choice
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #73
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Why are you a former owner of the Camaro? I loved my experience driving them the few times I had them but I'm curious what it is like to live with daily. I've basically only driven the car on a 300 mile round trip road trip. My only complaint was noise levels being in the car for a few hours. Curious on why you got rid of it.
It was not the car's fault - I go through cars. My recent 4-5 year history: 2014 911S, 2016 GT4, 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2017 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 BMW M2C (still own) and current special whip, 2019 Porsche GT3T. Yes, I have problems but I loved them all and tracked them all. That does not include my non-track cars as that group has slightly more stability in it.

Oh, I forgot the 2016 BMW M4 GTS . . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #74
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Why are you a former owner of the Camaro? I loved my experience driving them the few times I had them but I'm curious what it is like to live with daily. I've basically only driven the car on a 300 mile round trip road trip. My only complaint was noise levels being in the car for a few hours. Curious on why you got rid of it.
It was not the car's fault - I go through cars. My recent 4-5 year history: 2014 911S, 2016 GT4, 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2017 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 BMW M2C (still own) and current special whip, 2019 Porsche GT3T. Yes, I have problems but I loved them all and tracked them all. That does not include my non-track cars as that group has slightly more stability in it.
Thanks appreciate the insight. If you had to pick one as a daily driver, would you take GT4, m2c or the Camaro? I'm thinking the Camaro is too loud for me to drive regularly and the GT4 is probably too track focused so the m2c seems like a good balance
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #75
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I have no ill will to GM other than I lost a crap load of money on their bail out years back. I feel like I have owned the current Stingray Z51 as my elderly neighbor asked me to do about everything to his car since delivery from set up to teaching him the driving modes. At this point of my automobile ownership I just couldnt live with the horrific build quality. His car has been plagued with all kinds of electrical issues to overheating and the guy drives it easy and only puts 2k miles a year on it in perfect weather.
I have a lot of miles logged in his Z51 and I feel I know what the car can do with running many Draggy times in it. I am the only one that has really driven it hard. He wanted me to get a ZR1 that was on sale locally at a good deal but even after the test drive and spending time in it, it still feels like GM truly can’t build a quality vehicle. The history and discipline of GM isn’t there in building a quality vehicle. I got back into my 911 C4S and the German quality washed over me to a point where I don’t care how much faster the ZR1 was, I can’t deal with a Chevy and all that ownership includes. Corvette are everywhere where I live and it’s not a stretch to see 3 of them parked out side Walmart almost all summer long so it won’t be long till the new one is everywhere. I am thrilled with my M2C and it matches my personality and driving style.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-21-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
cptobvious2531.50
      07-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #76
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The amount of features and customization are impressive.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #77
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Does it come with a selection of Hawaiian shirts?
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
      07-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #78
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Does it come with a selection of Hawaiian shirts?
No but at the big release event they made sure to demonstrate 2 sets of golf clubs will fit in the trunk.
Appreciate 2
Brandt51839.50
cptobvious2531.50
      07-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #79
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
The new design is train wreck.
Having owned a few Corvettes before my German cars...The few truths about the GM Corvette has always been their performance numbers are never even close to what the owner can actually obtain. Case in point all the videos of the current Z51 Stingrays that struggle to get below 5 seconds 0-60mph. Even one video had a GM test driver trying to get the best times and was left at just under 5 seconds 0-60mph. Second is the horrific build quality from cheap GM controls the build materials will look nice for 6 months before they start to deteriorate and rattles appear everywhere. The exterior paint work will be thin and spotty at best. Fit and finish is not a theme GM has ever embraced as they build at a low quality price point. I would much rather GM build a high quality Corvette with better materials and charge $100k. Price point of the models shown at the release is perhaps high $88k usd?? Nobody wants the entry level Corvette as they are very low rent even by GM standards so forget the under $60k wow factor. You have to really hate your passenger to make them sit in the passenger seat as it looks as if they are quarantined.
Last year I tried to help my elderly neighbor do a few runs in his 2017 Z51 Stingray since he knows I have the tech gear to measure performance and our best Draggy times were just at 4.97 seconds 0-60mph.. It is suppose to be a "3 second car." To put that in perspective, my latest 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport luxury/muscle SUV does 4 seconds flat with half a tank of gas and not using launch control with the same Draggy unit. Funny thing is the BMW can do those times all day long.

Break down of the new design:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...3316385B719171

Last Z51 Stingray performance 0-60mph
Are you bitter or something? This feels more like a rant than a critical assessment of a new vehicle that was just released.

For the record, I've owned 6 BMW's. I just sold my 2017 M2. Rattled like you can't imagine both inside and out - had to continually take it in for the M-perf exhaust rattle and never could fix the interior rattles. The paint on all of my bmws (except alpine white) had orange peel from the factory. The fit and finish in this vehicle looks nicer than the M2 at the same price.

I just don't understand the hate. This car is literally the best value under then sun right now and you want to post videos of the previous generation as some kind of proof for the new model? Even if the 0-60 times are off by 30%, this is still a car that goes to 60 faster than just about anything in the price range.

If you want the same car for $100k or more, Acura and Audi are happy to oblige.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #80
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Are you bitter or something? This feels more like a rant than a critical assessment of a new vehicle that was just released.

For the record, I've owned 6 BMW's. I just sold my 2017 M2. Rattled like you can't imagine both inside and out - had to continually take it in for the M-perf exhaust rattle and never could fix the interior rattles. The paint on all of my bmws (except alpine white) had orange peel from the factory. The fit and finish in this vehicle looks nicer than the M2 at the same price.

I just don't understand the hate. This car is literally the best value under then sun right now and you want to post videos of the previous generation as some kind of proof for the new model? Even if the 0-60 times are off by 30%, this is still a car that goes to 60 faster than just about anything in the price range.

I see this all over this forum unfortunately. Same folks who "decided" to go with the OG M2 instead of the M2C. The C8 Vette is hands down a performer and the M2C isn't in it's league. This is all coming from an M2C owner who just picked his up yesterday. I'll tell you this much once they come out with their ZO6 I'm selling my M2C.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #81
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

Of course I am not bitter. My ego isn’t wrapped up into how fast a car has got to go in a strait line for it to be considered “better”. There are a lot of other factors in a performance car than just going faster. My own performance testing with the current C7 model shows its real world 0-60mph times and the video posted is showing my same results except a GM professional driver doing the tests.

I am sharing my experience with actual ownership and my perspective. Why would you think the new Corvette’s dna would be any different than previous models?? Every new generation Corvette release is always the same. They claim it’s all new with better build quality and it never is. If you can’t see the over all build quality difference between a Chevy and BMW then go buy a Chevy and save your money. Regardless how fast a car is, it can’t outrun poor build quality. I own many cars at the same time for different uses in my fleet.
My 3 decade long Porsche 911 ownership experience as well as Audi, MB and BMW over those years has a significant different build quality experience over the 2 Corvettes I have owned. Every time I purchased a Corvette while owning my German cars I end up questioning my laps of judgment and end up traded them on at a huge loss. I fell for the “it’s better this time” hype from GM. (My only bigger car mistakes was possible a Ferrari Modena or Range Rover....ugh).

You can go faster for a lot cheaper than the C8 Corvette if your willing to modify many lower priced cars if that is your main goal.

The take away is don’t get swept away with the mega hype surrounding every release of a Corvette as history shows nothing really changes. As a European car fan I fell for it and regretted it each time. This is not a rant but my real world experience and take on the Corvette ownership.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-22-2019 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
      07-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #82
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

GM has realized the competition and in this iteration, they're attempting to entice the higher end market. As such, I believe the C8 has stepped up their game in interior quality when you go into their higher end trim levels. No matter how you look at it, they're competing in the $60K segment (GM's original demographic) and now in the low $100K.

Really interested to see how the competitors will respond.
      07-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #83
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I don’t see the M2 Competition and the Corvette as rivals, even if the base C8 is close in price.

One is a high performance German sports coupe.

One is a super high performance racer boy image sports car.

I’d love to be a race car driver, but I don’t need to look like one every day.

No offense meant, it’s just not for me.

Last edited by natmad; 07-22-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #84
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Of course I am not bitter. My ego isn’t wrapped up into how fast a car has got to go in a strait line for it to be considered “better”. There are a lot of other factors in a performance car than just going faster. My own performance testing with the current C7 model shows its real world 0-60mph times and the video posted is showing my same results except a GM professional driver doing the tests.

I am sharing my experience with actual ownership and my perspective. Why would you think the new Corvette’s dna would be any different than previous models?? Every new generation Corvette release is always the same. They claim it’s all new with better build quality and it never is. If you can’t see the over all build quality difference between a Chevy and BMW then go buy a Chevy and save your money. Regardless how fast a car is, it can’t outrun poor build quality. I own many cars at the same time for different uses in my fleet.
My 3 decade long Porsche 911 ownership experience as well as Audi, MB and BMW over those years has a significant different build quality experience over the 2 Corvettes I have owned. Every time I purchased a Corvette while owning my German cars I end up questioning my laps of judgment and end up traded them on at a huge loss. I fell for the “it’s better this time” hype from GM. (My only bigger car mistakes was possible a Ferrari Modena or Range Rover....ugh).

You can go faster for a lot cheaper than the C8 Corvette if your willing to modify many lower priced cars if that is your main goal.

The take away is don’t get swept away with the mega hype surrounding every release of a Corvette as history shows nothing really changes. As a European car fan I fell for it and regretted it each time. This is not a rant but my real world experience and take on the Corvette ownership.
I didn't catch bitterness in your original post.

more of a buyer beware to me.
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 2
MystroX56246.00
Davil6333.50
      07-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #85
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
I didn't catch bitterness in your original post.

more of a buyer beware to me.
Thanks, as I never intended to introduce anything but past experience and perspective from owning other German brands.

This is the last Z51 I have a lot of testing/experience with.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-22-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #86
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
Interesting view. I have been surprised by the number of C8 vs threads. When I first saw the car, then the price, my first thought was "where did they cut the cost on this car". $60k for a 3 second mid engine car? Something has to give, seems a bit too good to be true.

In any case this car will sell well based on the initial marketing. However, the Camaro has proven to be a spectacular car, yet GM can't give them away. I live in a large city and I barely ever see Camaros. There are tons of used Camaros on AutoTrader and the like.

I hope that GM genuinely got this car right, though I can't see myself in one. I heard the new Porsche Cayman GTS is getting the same 4.0 liter motor from the GT4 next year, just detuned to about 410hp. If I find the need for a mid-engined car, that would be my choice
Camaros don't sell because pony car fans are buying Mustangs and Challengers instead for a variety of reasons and high on the list is the fact that most people don't like the looks of the Camaro. The Camaro is proof that if you build the best performance car and saddle it with a poor interior and exterior styling that consumers will gladly purchase better looking alternatives.
Appreciate 4
MystroX56246.00
natmad667.00
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6333.50
      07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #87
DKM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Still keeping my M2C.
Love the fact Corvette finally came out with a mid engine car and an affordable one at that. I think it's really cool and will definitely help to change the market.
With that said, I just like my M2C. It's a fun car.
Appreciate 3
natmad667.00
cptobvious2531.50
gmazet307.00
      07-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #88
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

It’s a great alternative for people who have a tight budget. Let’s face it, many who can afford P cars aren’t going to cross shop the corvette regardless of performance.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00