BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone painted/obscured the M2C exhaust muffler ?

02-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #331
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
1.) We have SO many threads about the muffler. Can an Admin here consolidate all of it into one giant thread, lol?

2.) For those who have painted it black, what process are you guys using? I've read everything from spraying it to hand painting it with a brush with the muffler still attached to the car. My concern with spraying with the muffler still attached is overspray (yes I know it's under the car but still I'm OCD about this kind of stuff), and hand brushing just seems like it would be a PITA, plus leave inconsistent brush strokes. I figure the best way to DIY paint it would be to remove the muffler, set up a paint area and then spray it? Thoughts?

MMMBRAP, you are 100% right, man! This is like Groundhog Day!

1. See attached pic
2. Literally, took 10 minutes. Lie down on the ground. Spray upward at the muffler
3. No prep, no nothing. Can of VHT costs less than $10. Either tape off exhaust tips, or another member was even smarter and just put disposable rubber gloves over the tips! Genius!
4. The muffler is so far down, away from anything with paint, that there is infinitesimal risk of overspray, unless you have epilepsy, or Parkinson's

In the end, complaining is human nature. I am as guilty of this as anyone. For example, I have this job where I'm in the 1%, I have a super cushy schedule, everyone treats me nicely and with respect... and all I do is complain about how I should be the CEO! "How do those idiots not realize that I should be in charge???"

Forum members complaining about the M2C muffler = me complaining about my job.

As so many photos have amply shown, you spray it, visually it disappears. And it only takes 10 minutes!!!

Now, here's something fascinating that has to do with the human propensity to complain. Guess what is the #1 predictor as to whether someone with clinical depression will commit suicide?

If that person knows he/she has no reason to be unhappy, THAT is what predicts his/her propensity to commit suicide!!! Isn't that crazy? If you THINK you have a reason for being unhappy, you at least have something to strive for, something that you think you can fix, so you don't commit suicide. If you know that there's no reason whatsoever for you to be unhappy, but you're unhappy nonetheless, obviously there's no cure via your own agency, therefore, suicide is your best option!

If we forum members didn't have the muffler to complain about, well, we'd have to come up with something else to blame our unhappiness on!

In my own case, I was telling my wife: "Well, it's a good thing that my unhappiness always has to do with my job. That way, I can blame my professional life, and not my personal life, anytime my limbic system makes me unhappy." I'm very happy with my home life. I suspect if I didn't have work to blame any time I felt bad about stuff, somehow that unhappiness would get redirected by my limbic system toward my home life.

So... maybe we should be thankful that BMW gave us this giant, saggy nut sack muffler to get upset with!

Name:  IMG_2382-1.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  115.4 KB
Appreciate 7
MMMBRAP975.50
Robin_NL8679.50
Dav3946.50
      02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #332
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

1. See attached pic
2. Literally, took 10 minutes. Lie down on the ground. Spray upward at the muffler
3. No prep, no nothing. Can of VHT costs less than $10. Either tape off exhaust tips, or another member was even smarter and just put disposable rubber gloves over the tips! Genius!
4. The muffler is so far down, away from anything with paint, that there is infinitesimal risk of overspray, unless you have epilepsy, or Parkinson's

In the end, complaining is human nature. I am as guilty of this as anyone. For example, I have this job where I'm in the 1%, I have a super cushy schedule, everyone treats me nicely and with respect... and all I do is complain about how I should be the CEO! "How do those idiots not realize that I should be in charge???"

As so many photos have amply shown, you spray it, visually it disappears. And it only takes 10 minutes!!!

Now, here's something fascinating that has to do with the human propensity to complain. Guess what is the #1 predictor as to whether someone with clinical depression will commit suicide?

If that person knows he/she has no reason to be unhappy, THAT is what predicts his/her propensity to commit suicide!!! Isn't that crazy? If you THINK you have a reason for being unhappy, you at least have something to strive for, something that you think you can fix, so you don't commit suicide. If you know that there's no reason whatsoever for you to be unhappy, but you're unhappy nonetheless, obviously there's no cure via your own agency, therefore, suicide is your best option!

If we forum members didn't have the muffler to complain about, well, we'd have to come up with something else to blame our unhappiness on!

In my own case, I was telling my wife: "Well, it's a good thing that my unhappiness always has to do with my job. That way, I can blame my professional life, and not my personal life, anytime my limbic system makes me unhappy." I'm very happy with my home life. I suspect if I didn't have work to blame any time I felt bad about stuff, somehow that unhappiness would get redirected by my limbic system toward my home life.

So... maybe we should be thankful that BMW gave us this giant, saggy nut sack muffler to get upset with!

lol thanks for chiming in about this cptobvious.

For me there's really only 2 ways to go about this muffler issue:

1.) Paint the damn thing and be done with it.
2.) Get an entirely new (albeit expensive solution) exhaust setup.

But I totally get it about the complaints from both sides. It's unproductive to complain about an issue that you have 2 solutions for, but it's also a sign of the times (imo) where M won't go the extra mile to go with a factory exhaust system that doesn't look hideous and requires customer modding to be acceptable, lol.

One would say "Oh but Porsche doesn't have this issue!" - and yeah they don't, because you're paying 6 figs for it and they better damn don't have an udder problem at that price point.

At the end of the day I think M2C is great value for money, and unfortunately at this price point, you're not going to really get something "perfect". Which is fine.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      02-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #333
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

BMW has door chime engineers (teams) dedicated how you might feel about beeps

They missed what majority of m2 owners are complaining about

0:46 he looks stressed about the exact beep tone, 14 engineers lol

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #334
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

It looks like the metal garbage can attached to the back of new M cars is the new normal..

Emissions/Sound related :

Check out these spy shots of the upcoming G80 M3 :

#SpraypaintNotIncluded
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #335
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post

I wonder how they feel about the burble mod tunes lol, if the pops and bangs disrupt the harmoniousness undercarriage frequencies they were trying to perfect, etc.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      02-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #336
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

I wonder how they feel about the burble mod tunes lol, if the pops and bangs disrupt the harmoniousness undercarriage frequencies they were trying to perfect, etc.
BMW meeting: customers are complaining about the large cow udder on our new M cars, we can mend the problem with just some flat black paint, NO, we need more sound engineers, let's double the teams maybe give them a building to concentrate on the big big problem (door chimes)
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      02-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #337
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:

Not to mention the brilliant position of the oil cooler.

And all the confidence it inspires...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #338
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
BMW meeting: customers are complaining about the large cow udder on our new M cars, we can mend the problem with just some flat black paint, NO, we need more sound engineers, let's double the teams maybe give them a building to concentrate on the big big problem (door chimes)
"Seems the issue is customers are confused. It looks like a cow utter, but doesn't sound like a cow utter. Maybe our sound design team can tackle this problem. I hear they have a new hire, Winston, who spent 5 years in Texas studying cattle. He seems perfect for the task! People are gonna love the M2 CS in 2022"
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      02-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #339
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

They are using very expensive Stax headphones to listen to chimes in a dark room, lol.

It is mind boggling how they can end up with this huge muffler or bad steering feel but they spent so much money and attention on the little things.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #340
milazzo71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19'M2C HS - 17'M3C YMB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
1.) We have SO many threads about the muffler. Can an Admin here consolidate all of it into one giant thread, lol?

2.) For those who have painted it black, what process are you guys using? I've read everything from spraying it to hand painting it with a brush with the muffler still attached to the car. My concern with spraying with the muffler still attached is overspray (yes I know it's under the car but still I'm OCD about this kind of stuff), and hand brushing just seems like it would be a PITA, plus leave inconsistent brush strokes. I figure the best way to DIY paint it would be to remove the muffler, set up a paint area and then spray it? Thoughts?

1. See attached pic

Spot on w everything you said.

Literally 10 minutes and it's gone forever.

Name:  01549740236.jpeg
Views: 1014
Size:  370.9 KB
Appreciate 4
MMMBRAP975.50
2PUTT511.50
cptobvious2531.50
srwatters146.00
      02-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #341
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

When a child is goofing around with something you take it away and it's: "out of sight, out of mind." With that painted muffler it might be "out of sight," but according to this thread it is NOT: "out of mind."

Deep huh?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #342
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I thought it could also serve to offset the added weight from the engine up front to keep the car mode balanced
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #343
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

I assume I have to take the rear diffuser off before painting?
      02-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #344
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I didn't take anything off. Used that high temp paint. It's been 1.5 months and no signs of flaking or looking crappy.

Still looks amazing. Beat $5 ever
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
bplewis24188.50
      02-24-2019, 05:01 AM   #345
quadrapete
Rep
Drives: BMW m135i

Thought I'd just add my experience in for those that might be interested...

Dropped the exhaust off the rear hangers and supported with an engine lift so that I could get good enough access to the top of the rear box.

Prepared the surface by cleaning with wire wool and a degreaser and then scuffed the metal slightly with some Emery paper.

Masked and taped around the area and just used a big piece of card to protect any other areas as I sprayed.

Did one light coat first, allowed to touch dry and then did a heavier coat and ran the engine to dry it, followed by an hours drive home on the motorway.

Really pleased with the finish - super cheap improvement!!

Name:  01551006175.jpeg
Views: 1602
Size:  1.24 MB

Name:  01551006187.jpeg
Views: 1610
Size:  788.2 KB

Name:  01551006195.jpeg
Views: 1556
Size:  421.3 KB

Name:  01551006201.jpeg
Views: 1572
Size:  436.8 KB

Name:  01551006207.jpeg
Views: 1544
Size:  447.2 KB

Name:  01551006213.jpeg
Views: 1554
Size:  371.4 KB
Appreciate 13
///M Houbi1653.00
devo755.00
srwatters146.00
cptobvious2531.50
GoHerd87.50
ChrisK4449.00
bplewis24188.50
dmboone254970.50
Karazy49.50
hansomatic-2500.00
      02-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #346
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrapete View Post
Dropped the exhaust off the rear hangers
Can someone elaborate on this? Is it as simple as unscrewing a few bolts?
      02-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #347
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
exhaust hangers (the metal ones that the rubber hangers hook on to) are usually bolted to the body. unbolt them to lower the muffler...

example below...its the hanger connected to the resonator.

Last edited by 2PUTT; 02-24-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
bplewis24188.50
      02-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #348
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
I assume I have to take the rear diffuser off before painting?
Nah, you don't, I used a paint roller and a paint brush. Bought a can of POR 15 High Temp paint and painted the muffler with the roller since I was concerned about overspray. I used the brush to paint the hard to reach areas by the tips. It came out great. Word to the wise, open up your garage door before painting or just do it outside.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #349
quadrapete
Rep
Drives: BMW m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Quote:
exhaust hangers (the metal ones that the rubber hangers hook on to) are usually bolted to the body. unbolt them to lower the muffler...
example below...its the hanger connected to the resonator.
[PICTURE]
Yep correct, I think it was 4 bolts in total. You could let the exhaust rest on the little brace that sits half way down the exhaust system...I just propped it up slightly to avoid any undue stress on the flexi joints
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #350
Greg75
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C LBB DCT

Garage List
Removed, scored/sanded, spayed with VHT Flame Proof (2000 degree)--no primer recommended. Two months/3k miles with no issues or chipping. Looks so much better; disappears in black, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 03:28 AM   #351
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Add me to the list

Painted mine this past weekend. Used Krylon high heat primer and matte black. Went on well. Allowed to dry overnight. We'll see how it holds up. Just looks so much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #352
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
FYI!

VHT Black is currently on sale for $9.99/can at Autozone.