BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > So.....what’s the most anal thing you do while cleaning your M2?

10-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Question So.....what’s the most anal thing you do while cleaning your M2?

Since we’re here, we’re pretty anal about our cars...that includes cleaning them. I kind of have a real life test to see if I’m talking to one of “us”:

Q: how do you clean your engine bay?

A1: tells me how, at length. Verdict: one of us

A2: looks at me like I have 2 heads. Verdict: talk about sports.

For us #1s, wants the most anal thing you do while cleaning?

For me, I have a little 2” wire wheel I use with my drill to shine up the inside of the exhaust pipes. It really finishes them off. It’s a trick I started with my E46 M3.

There are many others, but that one stands out.

What’s yours?

Kind of laughing as many of us will read responses with what some would consider crazy tips, but they won’t be crazy to us. I’ll just get a funny look from the GF when I mutter, “I gotta try that”.

So, whatcha got?

Last edited by McGary911; 10-21-2018 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      10-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Not sure if its anal...but I just keep engine bay clean, with light spray, spritz of water, after covering electrical with small grocery bag. Then lightly brush and use a microfiber glove to clean around hoses and underneath. Keep all the sharp bits from scratching like a cat with claws. Then rinse, wipe and start the motor to dry off a bit. How often? when it looks like it needs it. LOL
Appreciate 1
McGary911472.00
      10-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Remove wheels to wash and wipe down inside the barrels and the blue calipers. I use carpro reload over the ceramic afterwards and then re-install. every 3 months or so.
I also sit down on the garage floor every 3 or 4 months and polish the tail pipes with Flitz 5 star polish. Get all that grimy stuff off so they look better than new.
Also when doing my interior detail I use my shop vac attachment micro tools, the one with the hairy detailing brush that’s the size of a dime to suck up all the dust from within the A/C vents. I hate that dust. I do this every time I detail inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post

For me, I have a little 2” wire wheel I use with my drill to shine up the inside of the exhaust pipes. It really finishes them off. It’s a trick I started with my E46 M3.
What a great idea... can you post a link where you got the brush?

Mine would be taking about 30mins too long during any wash by constantly walking around the car drying the water smudge marks the windows make along the bottom when they 'autocrack' upon door opening
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

I use a leaf blower, two waffle towels and 2 microfibers (1 for interior/trunk latches and 1 for wheels) to dry the thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Quote:

Mine would be taking about 30mins too long during any wash by constantly walking around the car drying the water smudge marks the windows make along the bottom when they 'autocrack' upon door opening
Those watermarks on the window when opening the doors always annoy me!
Appreciate 1
McGary911472.00
      10-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post

I got the wire wheel locally for like $4. Any hardware store or big box home improvement store should have one. I may have even gotten mine @ Horrible Freight.....

Run the wheel in there (it'll likely be wet which helps) then wipe out with an old rag and it really shines. Just ensure you start the wheel inside the pipe rather than threading the needle with a spinning scratchy wheel.

And yes, add me to the list of folks who hate that 1 1/2" water stripe......and since it's on the outside there's no way to get to it once you're in the car.............unless you roll down the window.....hey, wait.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Since we're here, we're pretty anal about our cars...that includes cleaning them. I kind of have a real life test to see if I'm talking to one of "us":

Q: how do you clean your engine bay?

A1: tells me how, at length. Verdict: one of us

A2: looks at me like I have 2 heads. Verdict: talk about sports.

For us #1s, wants the most anal thing you do while cleaning?

For me, I have a little 2" wire wheel I use with my drill to shine up the inside of the exhaust pipes. It really finishes them off. It's a trick I started with my E46 M3.

There are many others, but that one stands out.

What's yours?

Kind of laughing as many of us will read responses with what some would consider crazy tips, but they won't be crazy to us. I'll just get a funny look from the GF when I mutter, "I gotta try that".

So, whatcha got?
De-ionized water
Appreciate 1
McGary911472.00
      12-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

For the window auto cracking itself, I found a quick dry with microfibre after a wash, then lower windows all the way down and then back up and another dry with microfibre, then once again down and up, and another dry and they are completely dry after that. The auto crack doesn’t leave a mark. It does take a bit of time, but better than the inch of dirty window streaks. I also use a couple sprays of Reload on my drying towels to keep her slippery.
Appreciate 0