BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > M2 to M2C pricing

06-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #23
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Really?? How does that work out. They only invoice you $20k in such an arrangement?
They deduct the trade-in value from the purchase price so you only pay tax on the remainder.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #24
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

It's actually more like 56.5k. 6.5k savings in HST.
Typically the gap in HST makes private deal pointless, especially on newer/pricier cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
as i'm sure most are aware there is a tax incentive to trade in your car at the dealership, if they offer you 50K for your car and the new car is 70K you pay HST on the 20K difference only, so basically in this scenerio (for ontario) 50K from the dealer would be equivalent to getting 54K privately..with this being said if you are willing to go through the hassle of private sale you will probably still come out on top
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #25
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
It's actually more like 56.5k. 6.5k savings in HST.
Typically the gap in HST makes private deal pointless, especially on newer/pricier cars.
ahh yes that's right, i always prefer to go with the ease of trading in the car to the dealer... if the car falls apart the next day i dont think they would care
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #26
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Do not trade-in your vehicle to your dealer if you want more $$.
Have your time and sell it through autotrader and kijiji + bimmerpost. (possible craiglist as well) you will get about 15-20% more than what dealer will value yours.

It will be little hassle procedure but you do get your money back. There are ppl looking for good condition used M2s in North America especially for those who wants the great performance sports car under budget while M2C is not a bargain anymore as BMW Canada offers M2C standard as pretty much highly speculated.
One thing most forget is that, at least in Ontario (and I suspect other provinces), when you trade a vehicle in, you also save the HST on that amount. Trade in is subtracted from the new car price BEFORE taxes are calculated. A $55,000 trade in offer, therefore, is really worth $62,150 on the after tax price of the new car.

55k still seems low but if I could negotiate the after tax value up to 65k, might not be bad and a lot less hassle. Just sayin'
Appreciate 0