BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > To resonate or not resonate (AA EL + aftermarket exhaust)

03-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #45
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
Was the 11 year old revving or filming??

I have one of those, too. I think she'd launch a piston out of pure glee if I allowed her to rev the car!
No way…I was revving the motor, kid was the ‘film crew’
      03-11-2023, 12:20 AM   #46
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
It's interesting seeing the impact the resonators have in your setup. I'm running the AA single with resonators and a Remus Race and while I have no idea what it would sound like without them, I can tell you that's it's plenty rowdy and loud with valves open. Valves closed is substantially quieter, which is interesting in its own right bc the Remus Race uses helmholtz resonators instead of a typical baffle design. Amazing how effective they are.
In the end, everything comes down to personal preference, some might find a particular setup obnoxious, some might find it too mild. I have the same setup as you except without the resonators and Wagner Tuning catted downpipes. It has a loud and deep tune in the lower RPM ranges and gets kind of raspy when you go pass 4k or so. That's due to the characteristics of the engine.

I'm very satisfied with this set up mainly because with the valves closed it sounds pretty much stock with the tones overall deeper. No droning with the valves open or closed
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 05:20 AM   #47
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

I installed the resonators yesterday (I have the full DP-back AA exhaust). I'm honestly shocked at how big of a difference those tiny resonators make. I was skeptical when I opened the box.

I can drive around now in Sport mode without being embarrassed by how obnoxious it can be. But, the counterpoint is, I wish it was a bit louder when I'm really beating on it.

The grownup in me is very happy with the change, as is my wife... and I'm sure also my neighbors whose bedroom faces the butt-end of my car, people in parking lots, etc. My inner hooligan will occasionally miss the brashness.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 08:12 AM   #48
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
The last two posts sum it up well:

- AA EL and resonators combo does a fantastic job in cleaning up the raspiness
- adding an aftermarket axleback further helps clean up the sound
- S55 now becomes way more civilized yet still ‘mean’ enough for most (your neighbors will love you for it)
- unfortunately, while resonators do remove raspiness, they also reduce the dB levels somewhat - and some may want a more rowdy or raucous exhaust
      03-14-2023, 08:23 AM   #49
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsaneM View Post
I have the same setup as you except without the resonators and Wagner Tuning catted downpipes. It has a loud and deep tune in the lower RPM ranges and gets kind of raspy when you go pass 4k or so. That's due to the characteristics of the engine.
Interesting (but not surprisingly) you noted that; with aftermarket DP (catted or not) the flow is highly increased and so are dB levels along with the native rasp. So, as shown in this thread…if the existing raspiness bothers you, AA’s resonators will do a great job clean up the sound.

I think that most vendors (and exhaust manufacturers) recommend resonators with aftermarket DP setups.
      04-02-2023, 04:36 PM   #50
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: going back to straight pipes and removing the 6” resonators… all in the name of science eh???

The resonated A/B link pipes do EXACTLY what they promote: clean sound, no drone or rasp! They are absolutely perfect in that regard, if I can choose 3 words to describe their experience: ‘grown up growl’!

However, all that comes at the cost of decreased dB levels. If you want a more raucous, louder and more engaging exhaust experience, resonators will diminish that by say ~ 25%! So I decided I can live with occasional 3k RPM rasp and even more minimal hwy droning, but gain the all day raucous exhaust. Besides, Efficient mode quiets down everything…

I could never describe my previous exhaust setup as racy, or obnoxiously too loud (OEM DPs, non res AA EL midpipe, Dinan axleback). However, I could really see these A/B resonators do a bang-on job at cleaning up raspiness for something like Remus Race + AA midpipe, or cattless DPs thrown in the mix.

Sidebar: ideally, the absolute perfect exhaust setup for me would be keeping the resonators in but also adding AA own hi-flow catted DP, but unfortunately they are too cost prohibitive for me at this point (DPs + install > 3 grand, nein danke ) …so a relatively cost effective middle ground is simply removing the resonators.

Hope this thread helped someone.
      04-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #51
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep

I've become perfectly happy with the resonated exhaust, especially with a couple of overpass "tunnels" that I pass through regularly that gives me a chance to really hear what the exhaust sounds like at full song.

Sidenote, I need to physically adjust it a little. At certain RPMs I can hear it physically vibrating and I know it's where the driver's side passes very close to the differential support. I hate to move it since I sealed everything when I installed the resonators, but oh well, it's an easy fix.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2023, 03:16 PM   #52
dead.pixel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
I’m surprised so many people find the resonated too quiet. I’m curious which scenario they are referring to, since I’ve found there is a significant discrepenecy in volume when accelerating in gear and the “brap” anti-lag sound on throttle lift off. The ladder sounds 3x louder on my single pipe resonated setup and is way too roudy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:36 PM   #53
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
So I received numerous DMs about exhaust changes since I created this thread, so I think it may be beneficial if I were to sum up my findings on the exhaust mods I’ve experienced...

A. adding non resonated EL midpipe to OEM muffler and DPs:

- improves upon the OEM S55 rasp by about 55-65% (massively cleaner, less tinny sounds)
- increases burbles by at least 35%
- annoying raspberry sounds at cold start-ups
- occasional rasps between 2-3.2k RPM levels when in S+
- also, when in S+, somewhat present hwy droning
- when in efficient, most issues above disappear

B. adding an axleback muffler to OEM DPs and non res AA EL (MPE, Remus, Dinan, etc):

- further improves upon the S55 rasp and removes these unwanted OEM tinny noises by another 15-20%
- rasps between 2-3.2k RPM levels are still present, but much less pronounced
- burbles are further exaggerated by at least 25%
- considerable cold start up improvement…barely any rasp noticeable till the cats warm up and RPMs settle
- occasional raspberry sounds when downshifting under high boost (I have 6 speed, I don’t know if DCT experiences same)
- minimized hwy droning in S+, but still there if you listen for it
- when in efficient, most issues above disappear
- deletes the sagging cow udder

C. adding resonated link pipes to A. and B. above

- when in S+, totally removes any trace of hwy droning or raspberry farts when downshifting
- zero rasp when cold starts
- super super clean growl across all RPM range - a far, FAR cry from stock S55, and 100% improvement. Stop!
- minimized dB levels by ~25%
- when in efficient, no issues of course, just less volume on everything the motor/exhaust is doing.

For most folks, I reckon scenario B would suit most people. Scenario C would make your car extremely clean with a purposeful mean growl (no rasp, no drone and definitely NOT quiet by any means) and livable especially if you daily your M2C and code out burbles, just not as ‘exciting’ or ‘raucous’ as scenario B due to its lowered volume.
Kattanah137.50
      04-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #54
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
So I received numerous DMs about exhaust changes since I created this thread, so I think it may be beneficial if I were to sum up my findings on the exhaust mods I’ve experienced...

C. adding resonated link pipes to A. and B. above

- when in S+, totally removes any trace of hwy droning or raspberry farts when downshifting
- zero rasp when cold starts
- super super clean growl across all RPM range - a far, FAR cry from stock S55, and 100% improvement. Stop!
- minimized dB levels by ~25%
- when in efficient, no issues of course, just less volume on everything the motor/exhaust is doing.

Nice summary! ...thanks
Under "C" with the reduced 25% compared to "A" or "B"
What would you estimate the increased dB level is over stock.

TIA
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #55
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
What would you estimate the increased dB level is over stock.
Hmm…it’s been years since I ran OEM exhaust, but I would venture scenario C is about maybe 10-15% (at most) louder than stock. You will never be accused of having a loud exhaust if you run in C setup…the main difference is a MASSIVELY cleaner sound, no rasp/drone and lower frequency (growl). The frequency is also dependent on which axleback you go for; in my research, Remus, and to some extent MPE, has a higher frequency (more racy) vs Dinan. Akra to me is absolutely poo-poo, that titanium body does not complement the S55 rasp at all…it amplifies it.

These A/B resonating link pipes are incredibly efficient in removing rasp and droning, making the motor/exhaust experience akin to the old NA 330ci… but as I mentioned, it is more noticeably quieter vs scenario B, and even A.
Kattanah137.50
      04-03-2023, 06:27 PM   #56
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Hmm…it’s been years since I ran OEM exhaust, but I would venture scenario C is about maybe 10-15% (at most) louder than stock. You will never be accused of having a loud exhaust if you run in C setup…the main difference is a MASSIVELY cleaner sound, no rasp/drone and lower frequency (growl). The frequency is also dependent on which axleback you go for; in my research, Remus, and to some extent MPE, has a higher frequency (more racy) vs Dinan. Akra to me is absolutely poo-poo, that titanium body does not complement the S55 rasp at all…it amplifies it.

These A/B resonating link pipes are incredibly efficient in removing rasp and droning, making the motor/exhaust experience akin to the old NA 330ci… but as I mentioned, it is more noticeably quieter vs scenario B, and even A.
Thanks.. That really helps!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 04:15 AM   #57
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

Quote:

Can you comment on how the dinan changes the exhaust tone?

I have stock downpipes, EL resonated and stock back box. It sounds pretty damn good but at lower RPMs I feel like the exhaust is a little high pitched tone.

My old single mid in my m3 was deep sounding but less clean sounding at higher rpm’s.

I’d like to get a lower tone if possible without breaking the bank.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 05:36 AM   #58
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy View Post
Can you comment on how the dinan changes the exhaust tone?

I have stock downpipes, EL resonated and stock back box. It sounds pretty damn good but at lower RPMs I feel like the exhaust is a little high pitched tone.

My old single mid in my m3 was deep sounding but less clean sounding at higher rpm’s.

I’d like to get a lower tone if possible without breaking the bank.
Given my experience, the Dinan axleback without the x-pipe (which comes as a package) will most certainly lower the frequency, providing you w/ that deeper tone you’re after. I have no idea the impact the x-pipe has as I never installed (since it overlaps the EL midpipe).
      07-05-2023, 12:29 PM   #59
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I have AA EL res mid pipe and Eisenmann Performance Exhaust - Valved

Pics and Video's in the link below.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865324

I had the Dinan system prior and it was "ok". Post #10 in the link above details my experience.
      07-07-2023, 11:42 PM   #60
R0me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

So I noticed something strange regarding the resonators on the f87 m2c equal length system from Active Autowerke.
It would seem that they are using different kind of resonators on their system.
There seems be to two kinds of resonators, one long, short.

The one that 'No_curebimmer' has, is the long version.
Link: https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...32078378434671

The one I have is the short version that I bought from Pureturbos.eu link: https://pureturbos.eu/media/catalog/...res1_2048x.jpg

I have reached out to Active Autowerke but they have not answered.

So I believe there is absolutely a difference of muffling the sound and resonance between those two resonators.

I hope that Active Autowerke can come with an answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #61
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0me View Post
So I noticed something strange regarding the resonators on the f87 m2c equal length system from Active Autowerke.

The one I have is the short version that I bought from Pureturbos.eu link: https://pureturbos.eu/media/catalog/...res1_2048x.jpg

So I believe there is absolutely a difference of muffling the sound and resonance between those two resonators.

I just bought my EL mid pipe from XPH 2 weeks ago and have the short resonators.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 03:09 PM   #62
Sequence_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0me View Post

To my knowledge, originally the M2C mid pipe came with smaller resonators and AA deemed them not enough so increased the size. maybe they have changed back but I doubt it so anyone still getting them may be getting some old stock possibly.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #63
R0me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequence_ View Post
To my knowledge, originally the M2C mid pipe came with smaller resonators and AA deemed them not enough so increased the size. maybe they have changed back but I doubt it so anyone still getting them may be getting some old stock possibly.
Okay. I got my midpipe back in March 2021. So it's some time ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #64
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

I got my AA single midpipe with resonators around Jun'22 and it has the smaller resonators. I was under the impression that the smaller versions were the latest design as AA consolidated parts across the Single and EL midpipes, but I could be wrong.

Edit. Updated date

Last edited by maxcbrdriver; 07-09-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #65
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
According to my email conversation w/ AA, the small version was the OG version…now they only sell the larger ones as it’s their latest iteration (the longer ones help reduce the raspiness even more, which was a common complaint).

If some of you got the shorter ones, it must have been old stock from a distributor.

FYI - I got mine straight from AA earlier in the year, and received the larger set.
      07-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #66
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep

I'll have to peek under the car and see which ones I have. I feel pretty certain they're the shorter, fatter ones, and I bought them earlier this year.

Whichever ones they are, I've been blown away by how well they work and how much better they make the full AA setup sound overall.
Appreciate 0