BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 600+ WHP, direct injected, with no supplemental fueling (PI or WMI) on full E85.

02-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #23
fgc7533
Philippines
Rep
Drives: N55 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Long story short, I am running a Speedtech Stage 3 turbo kit with the BorgWarner 7670 turbo right now (check signature for other mods). In partnering with Bend Calibration to dial in my build, we've encountered fueling roadblocks. We're now reaching the limits of the HPFP AND fuel injectors on a conservative tune at about 540WHP on E40.

Someone with the same set-up can probably get more fueling by leaning it out a bit and pushing the HPFP and injectors harder, but that's not the goal here.

I expected the LPFP/HPFP limitation going into the build - not so much the injector limitation. When looking at other high powered builds you'll see people either go for port-injection or water-methanol injection to circumvent these issues.

Fortunately my team consists of very like-minded people that support me on this. I don't want to go the port-injection or water-methanol injection route for a plethora of reasons, and so we're taking a different path. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't say too much right now, but Bend Calibration has partnered with vendors to beta test an upgraded solution so that we can remain direct-injected only that I am fortunate to help out with - that's the HPFP solution.

Also in parallel, we're looking to dial in a solution for upgraded fuel injectors as well. They're from Bosch.

The goal is to push the development on this platform so we can create a framework for future owners to hit their power goals, while remaining as daily friendly as possible. Heck, I'm running flex fuel right now! It's pretty sweet. More ethanol = more power. Less ethanol = less power. Pretty simple, right?

Stay tuned.

And since everyone here likes dyno graphs, attached are three runs, (5th gear, 4th gear, and 5th gear) on about four or five revisions ago (Still running a catted downpipe by the way):
This is my goal.
Appreciate 1
-Eidos482.00
      02-17-2021, 01:35 AM   #24
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iHUSTLE View Post
This is great news for us with upgraded turbos looking to upgrade the DI system. How could I tell if my car needs EU5 or EU6?
M235i owner here.

Also, could you tell me more about the stage 3 HPFP? I only see a stage 2 on Dorch’s website.
You'll want to run the EU5 injector. It will need coding in ISTA and a custom tune to take advantage of the extra flow.

As for the stage 3 hpfp, we internally call it "stage 3" because it outflows the current "stage 2" hpfps on the market (Dorch Stage 2, Spool FX180, Nostrum, etc...) by a significant margin. The vendor for the "stage 3" pump hasn't released it on their site yet.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #25
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

An update today for everyone!

Up to a couple of weeks ago my car was down as we encountered some hardware design limitations on the stage 3 HPFP set-up. After four to five weeks of redesigning and development we got our hands on a revised set-up and went back to dialing in the calibration. It's now rock solid and capable of flowing full Ignite Red (E90) at power levels above what the BW 7670 EFR is capable of.

Attached is a dyno graph on a mobile dyno on full E85 with 95+F degree ambient temperatures with only two fans blowing hot air at the cooling system - my poor turbo was struggling to breathe. Note that I have since switched to NGK SILZKBR8F8S's gapped at .018'' to avoid misfires that were encountered above 600whp last time on high e-content.

You will notice that compared to the dyno graph posted on post #13 that the torque curve in the mid-range is much flatter/cleaner now. This is because with the help of SD Garage, one of the best shops for turbocharged BMWs in Southern California, we were able to take advantage of the downtime to partner with a well renowned Australian clutch company to create a twin-disc clutch for our cars (And 6MT S55s) to hold the extra torque.

This won't be a review of the clutch so I will keep it short to avoid going on a tangent. It holds around 900 ft/lbs of torque, clutch pedal pressure is lighter than other currently available aftermarket equivalents, has light clutch chatter, and is daily-able. This paired with the Autosolutions SSK and Ultimate Clutch Pedal have been a pleasure to drive with.

The fueling, clutch, tune from BendCalibration, and SD Garage's workmanship were all put to the test this past weekend at my first half mile event at NoFlyZone California. There I did over 13 runs (about 8 back-to-back) with IATs between 120F to 140F and a slight headwind. The car and clutch took it like a champ and enabled me to reach my goal of a 160mph trap speed on 3/4ths tank of E82 on the last run before closing time, which felt amazing.

All in all, I think my goal has been reached for a fast DI-only / flex fuel capable daily that can be beat on at events. I may post updates with vendor news on the fueling solution or clutch in the near future. Maybe a new dyno graph as well since cookiesowns thinks we might be closer to 650whp (SAE)/ 663whp (STD) on the road on the current calibration since the mobile dyno conditions were so gnarly (We were desperate to get the calibration done since the event was happening on the day after).

I want to give a shoutout, again, to BendCalibration and their awesome flex-fuel set-up and tune - no hesitations about e-content mixtures and whether or not I can beat on the car in the heat

Also want to thank SD Garage again. The team there was extremely accommodating and diligent during the R&D process for the stage 3 HPFP set-up and the clutch. SD Garage is the shop that customers go to to fix other shops' mistakes and I will leave it at that
Attached Images

Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage

Last edited by -Eidos; 05-06-2021 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 5
F87source7177.50
tenkies147.00
6speed_M23481.50
      05-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #26
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
An update today for everyone!

Up to a couple of weeks ago my car was down as we encountered some hardware design limitations on the stage 3 HPFP set-up. After four to five weeks of redesigning and development we got our hands on a revised set-up and went back to dialing in the calibration. It's now rock solid and capable of flowing full Ignite Red (E90) at power levels above what the BW 7670 EFR is capable of.

Attached is a dyno graph on a mobile dyno on full E85 with 95+F degree ambient temperatures with only two fans blowing hot air at the cooling system - my poor turbo was struggling to breathe. Note that I have since switched to NGK SILZKBR8F8S's gapped at .018'' to avoid misfires that were encountered above 600whp last time on high e-content.

You will notice that compared to the dyno graph posted on post #13 that the torque curve in the mid-range is much flatter/cleaner now. This is because with the help of SD Garage, one of the best shops for turbocharged BMWs in Southern California, we were able to take advantage of the downtime to partner with a well renowned Australian clutch company to create a twin-disc clutch for our cars (And 6MT S55s) to hold the extra torque.

This won't be a review of the clutch so I will keep it short to avoid going on a tangent. It holds around 900 ft/lbs of torque, clutch pedal pressure is lighter than other currently available aftermarket equivalents, has light clutch chatter, and is daily-able. This paired with the Autosolutions SSK and Ultimate Clutch Pedal have been a pleasure to drive with.

The fueling, clutch, tune from BendCalibration, and SD Garage's workmanship were all put to the test this past weekend at my first half mile event at NoFlyZone California. There I did over 13 runs (about 8 back-to-back) with IATs between 120F to 140F and a slight headwind. The car and clutch took it like a champ and enabled me to reach my goal of a 160mph trap speed on 3/4ths tank of E82 on the last run before closing time, which felt amazing.

All in all, I think my goal has been reached for a fast DI-only / flex fuel capable daily that can be beat on at events. I may post updates with vendor news on the fueling solution or clutch in the near future. Maybe a new dyno graph as well since cookiesowns thinks we might be closer to 650whp (SAE)/ 663whp (STD) on the road on the current calibration since the mobile dyno conditions were so gnarly (We were desperate to get the calibration done since the event was happening on the day after).

I want to give a shoutout, again, to BendCalibration and their awesome flex-fuel set-up and tune - no hesitations about e-content mixtures and whether or not I can beat on the car in the heat

Also want to thank SD Garage again. The team there was extremely accommodating and diligent during the R&D process for the stage 3 HPFP set-up and the clutch. SD Garage is the shop that customers go to to fix other shops' mistakes and I will leave it at that
Very nice! I'm excited to see the fuel system you have been cooking up.
      05-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #27
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Very nice! I'm excited to see the fuel system you have been cooking up.
It's an awesome set-up for sure. We'll hit the limit of the single Walbro 525 before we hit any HPFP limits. Will need to hook-up a LPFP sensor soon.

Appreciate 2
      05-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #28
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Looks great! Time for some for a bigger war whistle!
-Eidos482.00
      05-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #29
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Looks great! Time for some for a bigger war whistle!
Once I get bored I'll probably build my motor and go for a bigger EFR turbo.

I'm not a fan of losing rev range from turbo spool so I'll probably want to extend the redline, reliably, to 7500-7800 if possible (Must be nice for you S54 guys!). Ironically, I already have to short shift a little bit after 3rd gear if I want maximum acceleration due to being out of the 7670's efficiency range. So if someone were to go a similar route, a 8374 would allow for better top end with slightly worse spool (Around 100-200rpm).

Maybe this will be me soon: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNoGL...d=ehssh9gpf0e6

Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      05-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Once I get bored I'll probably build my motor and go for a bigger EFR turbo.

I'm not a fan of losing rev range from turbo spool so I'll probably want to extend the redline, reliably, to 7500-7800 if possible (Must be nice for you S54 guys!). Ironically, I already have to short shift a little bit after 3rd gear if I want maximum acceleration due to being out of the 7670's efficiency range. So if someone were to go a similar route, a 8374 would allow for better top end with slightly worse spool (Around 100-200rpm).

Maybe this will be me soon: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNoGL...d=ehssh9gpf0e6
I heard the head and valvetronic system was the limitations to building a higher revving engine, 500-600 rpm should be fine but any higher I heard was an issue.
      05-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #31
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
I heard the head and valvetronic system was the limitations to building a higher revving engine, 500-600 rpm should be fine but any higher I heard was an issue.
I have heard about that limitation from ABR Houston where they said it couldn't be done reliably.

There is also another reputable engine builder working with a reputable tuner in the scene that I've spoken to that hasn't had any short to mid-term issues with 8k redline...So it's doable. But even he doesn't recommend taking it to 8k consistently due to decreased engine longevity so I may just build for 8k rpm and run a 7.5k-7.6k redline.

Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      06-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #32
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

For those that have been following the progress, I just got the okay from Dorch to let everyone know that they will be starting production on the Stage 3 HPFP kit soon!

Appreciate 2
F87source7177.50
SebsM2649.00
      06-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #33
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
For those that have been following the progress, I just got the okay from Dorch to let everyone know that they will be starting production on the Stage 3 HPFP kit soon!
Hell yeah!!!!!!!

Great news! Always nice to seem the fuelling game continue to improve on the n55. Any hints on flow capabilities?
      06-04-2021, 12:22 AM   #34
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Exciting!! Time to start saving my pennies!
      06-14-2022, 07:15 PM   #35
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:

Hell yeah!!!!!!!

Great news! Always nice to seem the fuelling game continue to improve on the n55. Any hints on flow capabilities?
Dorch's lift kit is out!

https://dorchengineering.com/product...-hpfp-upgrade/

Official flow capabilities on the page linked above. And it seems like the tune adjustment is already available on BM3 and coming soon to MHD.

Appreciate 2
F87source7177.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #36
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Dorch's lift kit is out!

Official flow capabilities on the page linked above. And it seems like the tune adjustment is already available on BM3 and coming soon to MHD.
Wow that's fricken amazing, 780 whp max on e85 with the stage 2. This is an incredible development!
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #37
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Dorch's lift kit is out!

Wow that's fricken amazing, 780 whp max on e85 with the stage 2. This is an incredible development!
Agreed

Nothing short of amazing
      08-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #38
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Hey -Eidos, reviving your awesome thread!

I had a few questions about fuel injectors that hopefully will clear up any questions for other guys, too. First, could you please confirm if these are the OE-like injectors (EU6) for our M2? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13647639994kt

And, if we wanted to switch to EU5 for more flow, this is the correct version? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ch-13647599876 I see there are several EU5 options out there.

Secondly, with a lot of guys starting to play with Emixes and stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2 turbos, where would you draw the line to say F10 M5 EU5 injectors should be used?

In my case, I'm using BM3 Stg 2+ Multimap and flexfuel sensor on E50 with a TTE460 for 480whp to redline. Also running a Dorch Stage 1 with the updated HPFP tables that I worked on with Dorch & PTF, so small HPFP dip at tip in, but can sustain this amount of power even in winter. Logs & dyno chart here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884838

I don't really plan to add more power, bc as you can see in the dyno chart the Stage 1.5 TTE460 won't flow much more than 480whp to redline. I could probably get a little more out of her by running E60-80 and getting more flexfuel sensor timing advance, but IMO the little extra power isn't worth having to change from the stock LPFP and I wouldn't run that high of Emix in the winter anyways b/c of long cold cranking.

So, that's my specific situ, but wondered if from your testing you found a whp & Emix line that clearly showed it was time to use a different injector?

Another reason I'm bringing all this up is my car runs strong but has been developing a worse and worse idle over the last year, and now it's bad enough the car can die and codes don't point to anything specific, just random misfire when idling (no misfire at WOT). We're changing plugs (NGK @ 0.027" is what I've been running and is going back in) to see if that clears it up, but I also picked up the Bend Calibration fuel filter setup in case what we're experiencing is clogged injectors from extended E85 use & no line filter.

Anyways, curious to hear your thoughts on all this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #39
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hey -Eidos, reviving your awesome thread!

I had a few questions about fuel injectors that hopefully will clear up any questions for other guys, too. First, could you please confirm if these are the OE-like injectors (EU6) for our M2? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13647639994kt

And, if we wanted to switch to EU5 for more flow, this is the correct version? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ch-13647599876 I see there are several EU5 options out there.

Secondly, with a lot of guys starting to play with Emixes and stock, Stage 1, and Stage 2 turbos, where would you draw the line to say F10 M5 EU5 injectors should be used?

In my case, I'm using BM3 Stg 2+ Multimap and flexfuel sensor on E50 with a TTE460 for 480whp to redline. Also running a Dorch Stage 1 with the updated HPFP tables that I worked on with Dorch & PTF, so small HPFP dip at tip in, but can sustain this amount of power even in winter. Logs & dyno chart here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884838

I don't really plan to add more power, bc as you can see in the dyno chart the Stage 1.5 TTE460 won't flow much more than 480whp to redline. I could probably get a little more out of her by running E60-80 and getting more flexfuel sensor timing advance, but IMO the little extra power isn't worth having to change from the stock LPFP and I wouldn't run that high of Emix in the winter anyways b/c of long cold cranking.

So, that's my specific situ, but wondered if from your testing you found a whp & Emix line that clearly showed it was time to use a different injector?

Another reason I'm bringing all this up is my car runs strong but has been developing a worse and worse idle over the last year, and now it's bad enough the car can die and codes don't point to anything specific, just random misfire when idling (no misfire at WOT). We're changing plugs (NGK @ 0.027" is what I've been running and is going back in) to see if that clears it up, but I also picked up the Bend Calibration fuel filter setup in case what we're experiencing is clogged injectors from extended E85 use & no line filter.

Anyways, curious to hear your thoughts on all this. Thanks!
BMW EU6 Fuel Injector Kit - 13648625397KT (the kit you sent) are the correct injectors. EU5 injectors are good for around for about 600whp range, they are equivalent to Nostrum stage 1 injectors. if you want to make big power, I think your main limitation would be your HPFP and you not being supply fuel with an upgraded LPFP setup. being at Dorch stage 1, will limit your fueling and I suggest you upgrade to a stage 2 HPFP, as well as the LPFP. if you want to run full E85 on DI, I recommend skipping a stage 2 HPFP and go with a Dorch stage 3 and get stage 2 Nostrum injectors with a LPFP upgrade. However, personally, I would just go intake manifold port injection. I was told the fuel filter only needed if the car sits a lot, so I skipped it since I daily the car. As for the gapping, I'd maybe try gapping down to 0.025 since you're upgraded turbo, and try gapping down more if needed. Keep in mind, I'm running a 0.020 gap on 97506 spark plugs and OEM Bosch injectors on a stage 3 EFR turbo with intake manifold port injection at 660whp.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:54 PM   #40
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
BMW EU6 Fuel Injector Kit - 13648625397KT (the kit you sent) are the correct injectors. EU5 injectors are good for around for about 600whp range, they are equivalent to Nostrum stage 1 injectors. if you want to make big power, I think your main limitation would be your HPFP and you not being supply fuel with an upgraded LPFP setup. being at Dorch stage 1, will limit your fueling and I suggest you upgrade to a stage 2 HPFP, as well as the LPFP. if you want to run full E85 on DI, I recommend skipping a stage 2 HPFP and go with a Dorch stage 3 and get stage 2 Nostrum injectors with a LPFP upgrade. However, personally, I would just go intake manifold port injection. I was told the fuel filter only needed if the car sits a lot, so I skipped it since I daily the car. As for the gapping, I'd maybe try gapping down to 0.025 since you're upgraded turbo, and try gapping down more if needed. Keep in mind, I'm running a 0.020 gap on 97506 spark plugs and OEM Bosch injectors on a stage 3 EFR turbo with intake manifold port injection at 660whp.
I don’t want to do any of those things.

Just trying to figure out where the stock injectors max out based on whp & various Emixes, bc I don’t plan on adding more power.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #41
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
I don't want to do any of those things.

Just trying to figure out where the stock injectors max out based on whp & various Emixes, bc I don't plan on adding more power.
wouldn't your HPFP max out before the injectors ? I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure someone told me this before.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #42
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Hey ZM2 !

Quote:
First, could you please confirm if these are the OE-like injectors (EU6) for our M2? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13647639994kt
Yes.

Quote:
Yes. Don't forget to get new decoupling elements. Also these will need a recode on ISTA and an updated tune.

Quote:
wondered if from your testing you found a whp & Emix line that clearly showed it was time to use a different injector?
WHP numbers referenced below are in STD (2% higher than SAE):

On my EFR 7670 and upgraded manifold, I tapped out the Dorch Stage 2 at 550whp on E40 with a tiny bit more headroom on stock injectors while running a fairly rich tune.

On full E85 I imagine potential WHP decreases to 440-460whp (Think WHP curve as an upside parabola (X-axis being E% and Y-Axis being WHP with the peak being at E40). Maybe cookiesowns can chime in here.

The clear line for me was wanting a trackable car with 510whp on full E85. If you want this, you're going to need to an upgraded LPFP, Dorch Stage 2, and upgraded injectors for fueling. If you want more, you'll need a Dorch Stage 1 or 2 with the lift kit upgrade.

Quote:
How often do you cycle in full pump gas? Random misfires at idle lead me to believe that it's a plug issue or your injectors are going out and may need servicing.

Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      08-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks -Eidos.

I rarely run a tank of pump gas, but recently picked up some Lubricity LX4 on Bend’s recommendation.

New plugs & Bend fuel filter going in this week. If plugs don’t fix it, will service or replace injectors with stock since I don’t plan to go above 480whp on E50.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #44
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

An update to this thread and some new data we found.

To give an update, I upgraded to the BorgWarner 8474 EFR. The BW 7670 EFR above 600WHP was out of its efficiency range and generating excess heat on the track. The 8474 barely sweats at that power level and still retains great spool and daily driving behavior.

I also switched from the Walbro 525 to the Walbro 535. Less heat and more flow due to the lack of a check-valve. Starts up fine on E85 in California.

The last big change are coil packs and plugs. Before, I was running F8S flex fuel plugs gapped at .020''. Now I'm running B58TU/S58 plugs gapped at .025'' on B58 coils thanks to Nexsys' kit. Timing has never been better.

As a recap on rest of the setup:

Full E85, DI-Only: Dorch Stage 2 + Lift Kit, EU5 M5 Injectors, Walbro 535 as the primary pump supported by EOS EKP.

Turbo Kit: Speedtech EFR 8474 with inconel shielding and custom lines by SD Garage

Downpipe: Modified Fabspeed 200cell High-Flow cat

Intake: Stock

Tune: Bend Calibration

First run not shown on the road-tuning map did 640WHP. Final numbers landed at 717WHP STD. Early to Mid-range power limited to be conservative since I'm stock block, but I like how the torque curve is flat.

From here we quickly learned that the EU5 M5 injectors are now the bottleneck. Definitely could lean it out more, but that's not the goal .

I have Nostrum Stage 2 injectors on the way which will give more headroom.

We're also flying blind with the Walbro 535's flow rate so a LPFP sensor install is on the horizon.

As always, definitely wouldn't have gotten this far without Bend Calibration and SD Garage's help, so I want to give them a shout out

More to come.
Attached Images

Last edited by -Eidos; 11-07-2022 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 7