BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Performance Engine Software for the F87 M2 (N55)

06-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan Performance Engine Software for the F87 M2 (N55)

Name:  F87_M2_Flash_Banner_Forum.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  349.9 KB

Dinan Performance Engine Software for the F87 M2 (N55)

Part Number(s): D900-N55-M2-S1 & D900-N55-M2-S1-W
Applications:
  • 2016-2018 F87 M2
Product Page(s) / Pricing: Release Date: Available Now!

Description:
Dinan engine flash releases continue with the unveiling of software for the original F87 M2 (N55). Gains of up to +67 WHP / +98 WTQ on an otherwise stock engine along with a removed top speed governor, multiple octane calibrations and warranted options highlight the feature set of these new offerings. These feats were made possible by a dizzying array of optimizations (boost control, cam phasing, fueling, airflow targets, various temperature controls/targets, etc) in order to maximize power output on a platform with well documented stock fueling and turbo limitations. Want the most out of your M2 without additional modifications? Visit a Dinan dealer and treat yourself to a "new" M2.

The Dinan Stage 1 Performance Engine Software is designed for the N55 engine to yield maximum power (for a variety of different octanes), improve drivability, and remove the factory speed governor for unadulterated entertainment. The Dinan + variant of software offers these same features but also carries the signature Dinan 4yr / 50k, factory matching warranty that the brand is synonymous with.

Features/Benefits:
  • More Power.
    o Dinan Stage 1: Max gains of 74 HP / 104 lb-ft of torque over stock at the crank on 104 octane. Consult the product page for performance charts for additional octanes.
    o Dinan +: Max gains of 50 HP / 74 lb-ft of torque over stock at the crank on 93 octane. Consult the product page for performance charts for additional octanes.
  • Warranty options to fit individualized need.
    o Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
    o Dinan + performance software has factory matching warranty coverage (4year / 50,000 mi), including the possibility of consequential damages.
  • Access to numerous octane calibrations (91, 93, 100 and 104) depending on your needs and/or variant of tune (Stage 1 or +). Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer.
  • No required parts. Install on a stock car and receive the full power gains.
  • Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide-open throttle and everywhere in between.
  • Optimized boost control, cam phasing, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
  • Top speed governor removed.
  • Upgradeable from DINANTRONICS Elite.
  • Retains all BMW factory engine safeguards and adds an additional safety precaution with the stationary rev limiter set to 5000 RPM.
  • Torque gains drastically improve acceleration.
  • Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
  • Downloads through the OBD2 Port.

COMPATABILITY NOTICE - BOX CODES

While Dinan has created files for all known North American M2 box codes we have not had access to international box codes. In these instances we will need to create a file for your vehicle. This process could take several days and multiple dealer visits.

Name:  N55_M2_104_Wheel_FLASH.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  203.5 KB
Name:  N55_M2_100_Wheel_FLASH.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  202.4 KB
Name:  N55_M2_93_Wheel_FLASH.jpg
Views: 2501
Size:  200.0 KB
Name:  N55_M2_91_Wheel_FLASH.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  190.7 KB

DINAN N55 ENGINE PERFORMANCE SOFTWARE FAQ:

I already own a DINANTRONICS Elite kit for the N55 engine, can I switch to the flash?
Yes, you can trade in your existing DINANTRONICS kit and qualify for a warrantied tune (balance of the factory matching 4yr/50 k warranty) upgrade for only $149.95 if the option is available. If you are already out of warranty or simply want more power you can opt to switch to the full stage 1 options (no factory matching warranty) without any associated upgrade fee. Pricing listed is dependent on trade-in of registered, first-hand units. Used, second-hand units do not qualify.

When I purchase a Stage 1 N55 flash do I only have access to one of the octane mappings?
When a stage 1 N55 flash is purchased you obtain licenses for ALL the various octane maps. However, only one map can be loaded on the car at any given time so if you wish to use a different octane then what is initially loaded it would require a trip to your authorized Dinan dealer for a reflash. Labor / install charges to perform this service would be at the discretion of the dealer. We recommend loading the octane mapping that is most commonly used for the vehicle (91, 93 most likely) and only do a map change for special occurrences such as a track day.

I do not live near a Dinan Dealer can I still purchase Performance Software?
At this time Dinan N55 Engine Performance Software must be installed through one of our authorized dealers. Our dealer list is constantly expanding however so check out the dealer locator often at https://www.dinancars.com/authorized-dealers/ to make sure a new dealer has not begun servicing your area. Alternatively, the DME can be sent in directly to Dinan to bench flash. If interested in this method please contact the sales/support team at support@dinancars.com and they can assist.

Can I flash my vehicle back to the stock tune?
Yes, you have the ability to flash the vehicle back to stock but the process would need to be completed by a dealer. There is no cost to do so from Dinan but you would potentially be subject to dealer labor rates to perform the service.

What if I am not happy with my Dinan Engine Performance Software purchase? Is there a return window?
All Dinan engine software include a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked. If for any reason the owner is dissatisfied with the Dinan engine software, they may return to the place of purchase for a full refund, provided they are within the 30 day period from the time of the initial purchase. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the guarantee and are at the discretion of the place of install.
Appreciate 2
hz101171.00
      06-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Wow what happened with 91 OCT such low gains?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Wow what happened with 91 OCT such low gains?
Its 91 octane on an already pushed motor. Minimizing knock conditions is the goal there and that is what you get. Go 91! One of the few reasons I don't miss CA. =)
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      06-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

What is the story for those of us particularly devoted Dinan customers who invested in a Dinan Stage 4 piggyback, with up-rated turbo? What is their reward?

Or is that the "Elite Dinantronics" kit you are referring to above? I don't remember that nomenclature back when the Stage 4 came out....
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
243Racing
Banned
Rep

I made 358/384 at the wheels stock on 93 (stock map).

What can I expect from the stage 1 and dinan+ tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
What is the story for those of us particularly devoted Dinan customers who invested in a Dinan Stage 4 piggyback, with up-rated turbo? What is their reward?

Or is that the "Elite Dinantronics" kit you are referring to above? I don't remember that nomenclature back when the Stage 4 came out....
Quote:

I'll explain tomorrow morning — I don't want to type a novel on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
I made 358/384 at the wheels stock on 93 (stock map).

What can I expect from the stage 1 and dinan+ tune?
On 93 the numbers would be identical between the stage 1 and Dinan+. Only difference is the warranty— tune is the same. You can expect the same delta as what is shown in the 93 chart above. Don't concern yourself with the absolute numbers but rather the delta as that is ultimately what you are purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Please advise what is the difference between the Stage1 and the +, and why the latter is twice the price. Thx.
      06-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Please advise what is the difference between the Stage1 and the +, and why the latter is twice the price. Thx.
Because of the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Because of the warranty.
Quote:
Quote:
Because of the warranty.
What beastie said. Dinan+ has the factory matching warranty and would be considered what you historically would expect of Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #10
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Because of the warranty.
So the less expensive product doesnt come with the standard Dinan 4 yr match with BMW's own, but does I assume come with the Dinan 2 yr Limited warranty?
      06-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Because of the warranty.
So the less expensive product doesnt come with the standard Dinan 4 yr match with BMW's own, but does I assume come with the Dinan 2 yr Limited warranty?
Warranty options to fit individualized need.

o Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty and are at the discretion of the installer/dealer.

o Dinan + performance software has factory matching new car warranty coverage (4year / 50,000 mi), including the possibility of consequential damages.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      06-03-2020, 11:54 PM   #12
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Warranty options to fit individualized need.

o Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty and are at the discretion of the installer/dealer.

o Dinan + performance software has factory matching new car warranty coverage (4year / 50,000 mi), including the possibility of consequential damages.
Is that 4/50 from the time of installation?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that 4/50 from the time of installation?
Matches the factory new car warranty so 4/50 from time of vehicle purchase/ownership and/or total mileage. So, if you have a 2016 MY M2 you have no warranty left, or very little, and have little incentive to look at the Dinan + tune with the factory matching warranty.

Quote:

Stage 4 DINANTRONICS Elite would translate into the Stage 2 Flash. The big turbo M2 mapping (stage 2) is in the works as well although there will be little difference in peak power with it versus what is presented here with stage 1. The difference will be mainly in a healthier delta in the lower/mid RPM range and the power holding for a bit longer. Already at the cusp of what is possible given fueling limitations unfortunately.

The flash, regardless of stage, allows you versatilty in octanes, removes the governor, updates the sport gauges, and generally is just a more complete tune then its DINANTRONICS counterpart.

So, you can wait for the stage 2 flash if you like or switch over to the stage 1 flash now and then upgrade later (difference is basically just 2 install fees vs. 1). Either way you get more out of the flash although for stage 4 DINANTRONICS users that difference is really more in features than anything else at this point. The one thing you will lose the ability to do would be to turn off the tune like you can with DINANTRONICS but typically you don't want to go to stock power levels so not sure how big a deal that may be for some.
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
BruceM984.50
      06-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Thanks for all the responses. Last question, I promise.

Would there be any issue running the 93 flash on the street with 91 fuel? It's hard for me to get 93 and I have to transport it to the track in containers.

Last edited by 243Racing; 06-04-2020 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the questions. Last question, I promise.

Would there be any issue running the 93 flash on the street with 91 fuel? It's hard for me to get 93 and I have to transport it to the track in containers.
In short stints its not the end of the world but I would avoid doing it for extended periods of time as it would be stressing the engine more then intended.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #16
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
In short stints its not the end of the world but I would avoid doing it for extended periods of time as it would be stressing the engine more then intended.
Thanks. I've reached out to my local installer for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #17
BruceM
Major
Rep

[QUOTE Stage 4 DINANTRONICS Elite would translate into the Stage 2 Flash. The big turbo M2 mapping (stage 2) is in the works as well although there will be little difference in peak power with it versus what is presented here with stage 1. The difference will be mainly in a healthier delta in the lower/mid RPM range and the power holding for a bit longer. Already at the cusp of what is possible given fueling limitations unfortunately. QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll wait for that Big Turbo mapping in Stage 2. But I'm curious to compare the piggy with that mapping when it becomes available....I suppose I can flash back to stock + piggy if I choose?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #18
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
[QUOTE Stage 4 DINANTRONICS Elite would translate into the Stage 2 Flash. The big turbo M2 mapping (stage 2) is in the works as well although there will be little difference in peak power with it versus what is presented here with stage 1. The difference will be mainly in a healthier delta in the lower/mid RPM range and the power holding for a bit longer. Already at the cusp of what is possible given fueling limitations unfortunately. QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll wait for that Big Turbo mapping in Stage 2. But I'm curious to compare the piggy with that mapping when it becomes available....I suppose I can flash back to stock + piggy if I choose?
It sounds like you can, but you'd have to visit an "authorized" installer to have the flash done.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Technically yes but you would be forfeiting the cost savings in the process. For the "free" upgrade its a trade in program where the piggy is turned in for the flash.

Quote:
It sounds like you can, but you'd have to visit an "authorized" installer to have the flash done.
Correct.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #20
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Technically yes but you would be forfeiting the cost savings in the process. For the "free" upgrade its a trade in program where the piggy is turned in for the flash.

Correct.
The cost savings would be $150 total?

Are either of your Seattle-area dealers (BMW of Seattle or Strictly BMW) on the list of dealers who will do this?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The cost savings would be $150 total?

Are either of your Seattle-area dealers (BMW of Seattle or Strictly BMW) on the list of dealers who will do this?
If you wanted to keep the piggyback you would be paying full boat on the flash ($699 or $1399 depending on version). Whereas upon trade-in the flash would be free (assuming the stage 1 tune).

BMW Seattle has the new tools for the new flashes but Strictly has not signed up to date. More often then not, most dealers don't invest in the new tools until they have a customer in front of them so if you prefer to work with Strictly just call them ahead of time so they can order the new tools, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Does the cost listed for the flashes include dealer labor for the install, or is that an additional fee?