BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Clutch pedal release not smooth?

03-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

Clutch pedal release not smooth?

2017, 5700 miles, MT.

I have started noticing that when releasing the clutch pedal, there is a noticeable "click" feeling at the top of the throw which is probably where it engages/disengages. I can feel it in my foot, not the shift knob. I can replicate it while at a stop and just engaging / disengaging the clutch. I also notice a little more vibration in the pedal when shifting at higher RPMs.

Does anyone else have this feeling? Or is the pedal butter smooth with no clunks/clicks/vibrations. I can't hear it, I just feel it - it's not smooth at that engagement point. No grinding either. The vibrations might be normal at higher RPMs - seems to come and go.

I haven't driven the car for a while so it might just be my mind messing with me. I don't think it's always been there because it's so noticeable now, but maybe it always was. Can anyone else feel the engagement point?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
untzklee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

^ Same here. 5000 miles MT. It's really hard to shift smooth at higher RPMs. Also I have been noticing a hesitant shake when I down shift from 3rd to second... frustrating...........

There is that feeling on top of the throw of the clutch pedal it feels like somethings is there
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Maybe a flywheel issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by untzklee View Post
^ Same here. 5000 miles MT. It's really hard to shift smooth at higher RPMs. Also I have been noticing a hesitant shake when I down shift from 3rd to second... frustrating...........

There is that feeling on top of the throw of the clutch pedal it feels like somethings is there
I haven't noticed a hesitation necessarily, but describing it like "something is there" sounds like the same thing. It's like it's catching on something. I checked around the pedal and nothing seems to be in the way - it definitely feels like it's in the linkage or the clutch itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:43 AM   #5
BMWPWR18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 87' 535is, 18'M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
2017, 5700 miles, MT.

I have started noticing that when releasing the clutch pedal, there is a noticeable "click" feeling at the top of the throw which is probably where it engages/disengages. I can feel it in my foot, not the shift knob. I can replicate it while at a stop and just engaging / disengaging the clutch. I also notice a little more vibration in the pedal when shifting at higher RPMs.

Does anyone else have this feeling? Or is the pedal butter smooth with no clunks/clicks/vibrations. I can't hear it, I just feel it - it's not smooth at that engagement point. No grinding either. The vibrations might be normal at higher RPMs - seems to come and go.

I haven't driven the car for a while so it might just be my mind messing with me. I don't think it's always been there because it's so noticeable now, but maybe it always was. Can anyone else feel the engagement point?

Thanks!
Have you found the cause? I have the exact same symptoms and I'm only at 1600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I have no model specific advice, but problems like this one typically involve one (or more) of the following: (1) pressure plate springs (including the throwout bearing/spring finger interface); (2) clutch fork interfaces to throwout bearing, the "pin" and to the slave cylinder piston; and finally (3) the "guide bush" as BMW calls it which is the tube on the nose of the transmission that the throwout bearing rides on.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep

I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't notice anything, but at least it's documented. It definitely goes away after driving the car for a while and everything is really heated up. I typically don't drive it far and it's been cold each time I have noticed it more. After driving for an hour it seems to be smooth. I really do think this is something in/near the throw out bearing. No resolution yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Are any of you utilizing a clutch stop?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
BMWPWR18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 87' 535is, 18'M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Are any of you utilizing a clutch stop?
I did for the first couple hundred miles, but went back to stock since then.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
GreyF87
HawaiiM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 05 G35

HOPE ITS NOT A SLAVE thing.....that is one problem on the early G an Z Cars.
If you just drive for a bit its ok.....but on long drive wen car warms up....pedal start to stick
an you gotta lift pedal up with your foot.
      05-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #11
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

I also have a click feeling on my clutch, it's up high nowhere near the engagement, no clutch stop. Doesn't seem serious, no sticking but bothers me a bit. I will be taking it in for break-in service this week and will ask them to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
I also have a click feeling on my clutch, it's up high nowhere near the engagement, no clutch stop. Doesn't seem serious, no sticking but bothers me a bit. I will be taking it in for break-in service this week and will ask them to check it out.
Totally normal I have it as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #13
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

I have the click on engaging the clutch pedal. It's been there for a few months. Dealer today said not normal and is replacing. They ordered parts and will get done later this week. I'll post a pic of the part that is making it once they pull it out again.

It's something with the bushing/spring on the pedal, not an issue with clutch/bearing or anything serious.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #14
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

2018 w/ 26,000mi
Having the same problem. Not as smooth and feeling a bit gritty. Everything working well but a bit annoying. Will probably take it in for them to check it over.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #15
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
2017, 5700 miles, MT.

Thanks!
Does it ever fight you when trying to engage 1st, or shift from 1st to 2nd? It may be that the friction plate isn't sliding freely on the gearbox input shaft.
Appreciate 0