BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

10-18-2023, 06:16 PM   #1233
Sultan hamdi
Sultan Hamdi
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Bmw F87 2016 M2 OG

Hi do you have more information about this setup ?

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25771236
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 10:22 AM   #1234
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan hamdi View Post
Hi do you have more information about this setup ?

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25771236
Yes - the best place to pick up that ratchet strap is Home Depot
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #1235
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Those of you running an adjustable sway bar like the CSR bar. What hole are you running it on? Hoping next year leads to a set of EDC coilovers. My front tire temps were even at -3.2 camber, but I was still getting a little on the outer edge of the tire.

Oddly my rear tires at -1.9 degrees were significantly warmer on the inside, suggesting I could use less camber, but I was also getting on the outer edge of the tire a bit.

My thought is that I'm just overwhelmingly the stock springs and victim to lateral G.
      10-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #1236
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I don’t know what rates OG Shark is planning for the EDC Nitrons, but he runs higher rates than most others on his standard R1 kit. I’m going this route in hopes that the sway won’t be necessary, which would be in line with Farkle’s analysis.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #1237
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Those of you running an adjustable sway bar like the CSR bar. What hole are you running it on? Hoping next year leads to a set of EDC coilovers. My front tire temps were even at -3.2 camber, but I was still getting a little on the outer edge of the tire.

Oddly my rear tires at -1.9 degrees were significantly warmer on the inside, suggesting I could use less camber, but I was also getting on the outer edge of the tire a bit.

My thought is that I'm just overwhelmingly the stock springs and victim to lateral G.
I am on the outer of two holes on my CS racing front bar. I am at -3.2 as well on Vorschlag camber plates and stock sprint/dampers. I'd go to -4 to see how that does, but cannot go more negative now. I always cord the outsides first (square set up). Was thinking of going to the inner hole to see how that feels, but I like the way the car feels now - very neutral. I should just do it anyway to see, but now I have to wait until next season. Were you asking about the rear bar? If so, I have the stocker and cannot contribute anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 06:32 PM   #1238
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I am on the outer of two holes on my CS racing front bar. I am at -3.2 as well on Vorschlag camber plates and stock sprint/dampers. I'd go to -4 to see how that does, but cannot go more negative now. I always cord the outsides first (square set up). Was thinking of going to the inner hole to see how that feels, but I like the way the car feels now - very neutral. I should just do it anyway to see, but now I have to wait until next season. Were you asking about the rear bar? If so, I have the stocker and cannot contribute anything.
Nope, front bar like you. It also feels very neutral. Requires a lot of extra throttle get some oversteer, but I like it. The car now fits my driving style. The car transitions so well now that I need to start reconsidering my lines at the track I run.
      10-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #1239
jwr9152
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

I run the Hotchkis bar in the 3rd stiffest position.

You might want to look at your rear toe for inside tire wear. It typically contributes more to wear then camber.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 06:41 PM   #1240
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr9152 View Post

You might want to look at your rear toe for inside tire wear. It typically contributes more to wear then camber.
The inside of the rears still looked good. I just noted the tire was hotter on the inner 3rd vs middle and outer, which surprised me. But you might be right. If the toe is a bit too much, then even if it's not visibly wearing the tires it could be an indicator that there's more friction there.
What toe are you running in the rear?
      10-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #1241
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
The inside of the rears still looked good. I just noted the tire was hotter on the inner 3rd vs middle and outer, which surprised me. But you might be right. If the toe is a bit too much, then even if it's not visibly wearing the tires it could be an indicator that there's more friction there.
What toe are you running in the rear?
I think it depends on what toe arms you are running. With the spl toe links I ran 1/16 total toe in and with the stock toe arms I think it needs to be closer to 1/8 total toe in.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #1242
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it depends on what toe arms you are running. With the spl toe links I ran 1/16 total toe in and with the stock toe arms I think it needs to be closer to 1/8 total toe in.
I'm running the turner toe arms. The bulky ones, not the race variant.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:25 PM   #1243
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm running the turner toe arms. The bulky ones, not the race variant.
I'm not familiar with those. What bushings do they use?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #1244
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not familiar with those. What bushings do they use?
They are some type of solid spherical bushing.
      10-20-2023, 09:01 PM   #1245
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did you track it prior to the Hotchkis bar?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 11:45 PM   #1246
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Quote:
Nope, front bar like you. It also feels very neutral. Requires a lot of extra throttle get some oversteer, but I like it. The car now fits my driving style. The car transitions so well now that I need to start reconsidering my lines at the track I run.
If it feels neutral/natural now, just leave it alone!

You can bump your camber up a bit to -3.5deg-ish. -4deg was too much when I tried it.

If you guys want more roll stiffness you can go up on the front bar setting, but might end up wanting to balance that out with a smidge more rear bar or spring rate, but like I said before, if things feel natural/neutral now, just leave it or you could be spending lots more $ trying to figure out how to make the new parts all work to get back to that feeling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
I don’t know what rates OG Shark is planning for the EDC Nitrons, but he runs higher rates than most others on his standard R1 kit. I’m going this route in hopes that the sway won’t be necessary, which would be in line with Farkle’s analysis.
For a setup like this, it might benefit from a rear bar instead of front since the front springs are so stiff relative to the rear (opposite of how BMW tunes it).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2023, 05:35 AM   #1247
jwr9152
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did you track it prior to the Hotchkis bar?
No, just autox it with the stock bar, and felt it needed more front bar. Originally went with the 2nd position and then moved to the 3rd position and it felt better. Haven't tried full stiff yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 09:33 AM   #1248
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

FYI Essex is starting their Black Friday sale tomorrow... some pretty good pricing on full AP kits, rotors, Ferodo pads, etc. Best time to buy for sure. If anyone wants pricing let me know.
Appreciate 1
M1500Z423.00
      11-01-2023, 12:39 PM   #1249
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
FYI Essex is starting their Black Friday sale tomorrow... some pretty good pricing on full AP kits, rotors, Ferodo pads, etc. Best time to buy for sure. If anyone wants pricing let me know.
Definitely hit OG Shark up for AP/Ferodo stuff. He's helped me out in a pinch in the past.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #1250
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Does coating a dp for the n55 cars help that much? Looking to go catless to help with temps and have been recommended jet-hots 2000 coating. But I’m somewhat thinking that’s overkill for stock power, stage 1 at most

Insta: @kmannc
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:16 AM   #1251
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mann View Post
Does coating a dp for the n55 cars help that much? Looking to go catless to help with temps and have been recommended jet-hots 2000 coating. But I’m somewhat thinking that’s overkill for stock power, stage 1 at most
Coatings help but marginally. Belt and suspenders approach would likely be the most effective. Meaning, coating from swaintech and then a custom heat shield from https://headershield.com/

Overkill depends on use case. For a track tool, it’s very welcome but I wouldn’t stop at the downpipe and I’d address the entire hot side given the cooling challenges tuned N55 cars can encounter on certain tracks in high ambient temps.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:32 AM   #1252
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Coatings help but marginally. Belt and suspenders approach would likely be the most effective. Meaning, coating from swaintech and then a custom heat shield from https://headershield.com/

Overkill depends on use case. For a track tool, it’s very welcome but I wouldn’t stop at the downpipe and I’d address the entire hot side given the cooling challenges tuned N55 cars can encounter on certain tracks in high ambient temps.
Yeah that’s somewhat how I was thinking. I’ll probably run at truck uncoated, and if everything is still toast I’ll pull coat dp and more upstream components

Insta: @kmannc
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #1253
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

It’s winter for most of the country which means project work. I’m upgrading suspension and adding a bit of power courtesy of OG Shark and Bend Calibration.

What’s everyone got cooking before it warms back up?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      12-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #1254
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s winter for most of the country which means project work. I’m upgrading suspension and adding a bit of power courtesy of OG Shark and Bend Calibration.

What’s everyone got cooking before it warms back up?
I did a lot of upgrades between June and October of this year. Enabled, Track\S goodies, CSR wheels, suspension arms/bushings, etc. Probably taking a brake from track days in 2024 because I'm saving for an OG Shark suspension upgrade.