BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Anyone Drive the 8Y Audi RS3 (2022+)

09-13-2023, 12:41 PM   #1
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Anyone Drive the 8Y Audi RS3 (2022+)

I'm tempted by the newer RS3 with the slightly more rear-biased torque distribution. Not to replace my manual M2C, but to add to the garage as a second family car (with four doors), has a dual clutch (wife doesn't like driving manual) that could handle a few track sessions in a pinch (in case the M2C is sidelined for any reason right before an HPDE). I'm about to buy an F80 ZCP DCT, since I know I love my M2C on road and track and it's a very similar experience and mechanical setup (plus, I love the ability to easily code dampers, steering, diff, and traction/stability to my heart's content). However, the novelty, the 5-cylinder, and the diverse format (front-engine/AWD) tempt me to consider the RS3.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
1stM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChase View Post
I'm tempted by the newer RS3 with the slightly more rear-biased torque distribution. Not to replace my manual M2C, but to add to the garage as a second family car (with four doors), has a dual clutch (wife doesn't like driving manual) that could handle a few track sessions in a pinch (in case the M2C is sidelined for any reason right before an HPDE). I'm about to buy an F80 ZCP DCT, since I know I love my M2C on road and track and it's a very similar experience and mechanical setup (plus, I love the ability to easily code dampers, steering, diff, and traction/stability to my heart's content). However, the novelty, the 5-cylinder, and the diverse format (front-engine/AWD) tempt me to consider the RS3.
It was my choice but after the dealer wanted to charge more than G87 M2 with the carbon package, M2 is now on order. New RS3 is good 👍. Hope you can find it at MRSP.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:09 AM   #3
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Not a bad choice! I love my manual M2C and am lapping it long term, so I’m thinking if I can get an RS3 at sticker price, maybe it’ll be a good idea to inject some variety into the garage. I’ve always been with front-rear and mid-rear layout cars, aside from strictly daily driver or family vehicles. I think the RS3 is a potentially more exciting and less “pedestrian” way to scratch the FWD/AWD itch (and still not be too frustrated by dynamic limitations) on track.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 07:46 AM   #4
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

It would be a very strong contender if it had a 6MT option.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:37 AM   #5
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stM View Post
It was my choice but after the dealer wanted to charge more than G87 M2 with the carbon package, M2 is now on order. New RS3 is good 👍. Hope you can find it at MRSP.
Im pretty sure a RS3 at MSRP is a no go.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
RWD-by-the-Sea
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Funny you should post this -- I JUST traded in my 6-speed M2 for a 8Y RS3.

Also funny -- I think your reasoning is basically why I got the RS3. I think I might be an Audi guy now? Strange to say. My first VW/Audi anything. I'm quite literally over the moon with the RS3. The sound (oh, that glorious 5 cylinder sound), the tech, the comfort, the handling, the space, etc. Just wonderful.

Let me add though that I LOVED my M2. It looked amazing, the sound was great, and I loved kicking the rear end out at will. That said, it was an amazing 3rd car. Unfortunately for me my wife decided we needed to go back down to two cars (driveway/garage *******, so my wife got a new giant SUV, and me, thinking that I could absolutely daily a 6-speed coupe with two small children to haul around, sold off our other practical cars.

Well, two weeks later, turned out managing a 6-speed in traffic, putting two kids in car seats in a coupe, being unable to carry any of their friends, and having a car my wife also couldn't drive was a giant pain in the ass. Started looking for other options, but really just wanted something that sounded amazing, made hauling kids easier, was still small, and something my wife could drive. Most cars I came across were too big for what I wanted (looking at you G80 M3), or not much improvement from a family-friendly situation (F83 M4 w/DCT -- and no, I didn't love the F80 M3 for reasons I won't get into here).

Anyway, wife can drive it, kids love the sound it makes (as do I), I'm actually enjoying the DSG, and really love the adaptive suspension. Android Auto is an unexpected bonus -- forgot how much I enjoyed having that in cars, and the size (basically same footprint as the M2) is perfect.

I mean, I think the M2 was gorgeous and fun, but truthfully the RS3 is better (for me, at this stage of my life) in nearly every other metric.

Something else -- I loved driving my M2 when it was an extra car. It was a treat, an occasion. But when it became my only car I began to dread it. Now I look forward to driving the RS3. Says a lot, I think.
Appreciate 0