BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA exhaust drone

03-08-2024, 11:56 PM   #1
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

AA exhaust drone

Hi,

I recently got the AA EL midpipe and muffler - resonated.
I really like the sound of high rmp range but on lower rpms it's quite boomy and drones on highway speed. Is that normal? didn't expect it to be like that..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:22 AM   #2
dangaroo
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 2016 VW GTI

What rpm are you getting drone? I have the AA EL midpipe with resonators to the AA valved axle back and it’s not droney at all. Even without resonators and it wasn’t bad.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 11:31 AM   #3
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmm thx thats what i was expecting.
Its under 3k and most pronounced at 1800 rpm. I dont think its a leak. Not sure if it could drone if it has slight contact somewhere. The resonator was definitely fitting pretty tight aroubd the area..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:57 PM   #4
SchnellerM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: M2c, s54E30, Z3MCoupe,

I agree, the AA system which I own sings at higher RPMs , but at cruising speed there's definitely a drone.

I find myself driving around in a lower gear than I normally would, just to get out of that 1800-1900 RPM band. It certainly kills the fuel economy battling to get rid of the boom ... 25-27 mpg w/ stock system, down to 20-21 mpg trying to live w/ the AA.

The AA system was also annoyingly loud on cold start w/ the stock exhaust valve map opening the valves. I chose a valve controller with the valves shut all the time and have it go in to the stock valve map when I activate the valve controller remote. That way I can occasionally hear the wail in sport mode when the coast is clear.

I still own the complete stock system and may well swap it back on
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 09:01 PM   #5
santua
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 xDrive & M2C

I think the EL midpipe is known for having a bit of a drone/rasp at the 2kish rpm. I have the EL non-res (soon to be resonated) and the AA muffler. The low end is definitely more droney and a tad too loud when revving in at idle IMO.

Hoping the resonators will fix some of those things for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 11:24 PM   #6
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by santua View Post
I think the EL midpipe is known for having a bit of a drone/rasp at the 2kish rpm. I have the EL non-res (soon to be resonated) and the AA muffler. The low end is definitely more droney and a tad too loud when revving in at idle IMO.

Hoping the resonators will fix some of those things for me.
I have zero drone with AA EL resonated midpipe with stock everything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 11:40 PM   #7
santua
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
I have zero drone with AA EL resonated midpipe with stock everything else.
Yeah, I think the resonators will help a lot. I do think the rear section contributes to some of that drone, specailly because in sport+ the valves are open 100% all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:28 PM   #8
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah I was on that setting for a couple of months and wanted more sound so went with AA box but didnt want the droning. I guess there are pros and cons for going loud (except it isn't as loud as i hoped for in the high rpm range either.. )
I though this would be a happy medium but now i wish i would have stayed EL mid and stock exhaust or jus might as well go all the way with Remus race..
Appreciate 1
n8dgr84173.50
      03-11-2024, 10:30 PM   #9
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by santua View Post
Yeah, I think the resonators will help a lot. I do think the rear section contributes to some of that drone, specailly because in sport+ the valves are open 100% all the time.
Would be interested to hear how its like with the resonator on. Let me know once you have them on!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:07 PM   #10
santua
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojuhan View Post
Would be interested to hear how its like with the resonator on. Let me know once you have them on!
Will do, I might try just putting just one of the resonators on the passenger side like I've seen some others do. I guess I will experiment a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:19 PM   #11
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (DCT) - Sunset Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojuhan View Post
Yeah I was on that setting for a couple of months and wanted more sound so went with AA box but didnt want the droning. I guess there are pros and cons for going loud (except it isn't as loud as i hoped for in the high rpm range either.. )
I though this would be a happy medium but now i wish i would have stayed EL mid and stock exhaust or jus might as well go all the way with Remus race..
I have stock DPs, AA EL midpipe w/ resonators, and Remus Race axelback and I have 0 drone. Valves closed sounds stock levels of quiet except with a deeper smoother sound because of the EL and race mufflers. Valves open is pretty smooth all the way through the RPMs, maybe the slightest bit of drone if there is a heavy load going up an incline but it's basically negligible.

When I had the stock muffler on with the AA EL resonated pipes I didn't experience any drone either FWIW.
Appreciate 1
n8dgr84173.50
      03-12-2024, 11:52 AM   #12
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangaroo View Post
What rpm are you getting drone? I have the AA EL midpipe with resonators to the AA valved axle back and it’s not droney at all. Even without resonators and it wasn’t bad.
This is my experience. I don't have any drone at all.

The resonators make a shocking amount of difference given their size. I also had my tune done to keep the valves closed and reduce the magnitude of the rev at startup because that was simply ridiculous, even with the resonators.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:43 AM   #13
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
This is my experience. I don't have any drone at all.

The resonators make a shocking amount of difference given their size. I also had my tune done to keep the valves closed and reduce the magnitude of the rev at startup because that was simply ridiculous, even with the resonators.
Hmm that's strange.. I'm wondering if it could be something with the install. Would have noticed it if it were a leak. I'm thinking maybe its cuz the resonators are touching the heat shields but not sure if that can cause those low boomy sounds. Also the resonators were quite a tight fit around the heat shield not sure if contact is totally avoidable.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:56 AM   #14
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep

I had to dimple the driver's side piping where it passes closest to the differential brace/mount. It would make contact and buzz really badly just off idle. Upside was that it made a nice mark on the tubing exactly where it needed to be modified.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:03 AM   #15
GTPR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
I had to dimple the driver's side piping where it passes closest to the differential brace/mount. It would make contact and buzz really badly just off idle. Upside was that it made a nice mark on the tubing exactly where it needed to be modified.
hmm i don't have the buzzing issue. I had one before midpipe hitting the brace but fixed it. do you have any tune or code changes?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:26 AM   #16
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep

Yes, I have an ECU swap with an Enabled tune.
Appreciate 0