BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Place to hide Valve Controller in F87 trunk?

02-29-2024, 07:57 PM   #1
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Place to hide Valve Controller in F87 trunk?

Recently got the SST Valve controller to pair to my exhaust setup- I am playing around with different setups to see what is my optimal daily, and fine tune all the little annoyances.

First one was the loud coldstart- not just the loud idling sound, but that loud boom for a second, which was really annoying with the Remus and Valvetronic exhausts. After doing some tests I noticed even in Comfort mode, the valves open for a second then close back for idling. With the SST Valve controller I can close the valve and override the valve opening-closing sequence, and sounds MUCH better.

I've seen some cases of G8X platforms having easy trunk to valve access via one rubber grommet, but I tried this in the battery pocket in the trunk for the F87, with no luck. Has anyone found a place to hide this?

It's bunched up and zip tied on one of the frame pieces, doubt there will be any issues, but would like a more secure spot!
      02-29-2024, 09:07 PM   #2
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Hopefully I'm understanding your question on where to place the box and route the wiring and this helps. Check out the Akra installation guide here. The Sound Kit install starts on page 40—it's relatively involved but could inform you on how you'd like to setup your SST kit. The Akra harness has its own grommet already installed, but you could measure the stock grommet and get a spare to put a hole in.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 12:01 AM   #3
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow nice! thank you! It does seem a little more involved than anticipated, but nothing too hard!
      03-03-2024, 06:34 PM   #4
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just for anyone that might come across this in the future, confirming the right storage compartment in the trunk is an easy access to the bottom of the car. You don't even have to remove all the trunk liners unless you need access to the wiring.
I just popped off the storage bin and just had to remove the small panel behind the wheel.
There are two holes with rubber plugs, I removed one and drilled a hole for the wire, and cut to slide the wire through. The valve plugs were just a little bigger than the hole so I had to snip it just a little and fold over with pliers, insert plugs, and fold back and plug back in.