BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic Slip-On + Akrapovic Evolution Link pipe

02-26-2024, 03:23 PM   #1
Mister_Gorilla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Question Akrapovic Slip-On + Akrapovic Evolution Link pipe

I have an M2 Competition 2019 with OPF's and as you know the sound is... lacking.

So i started looking for some exhaust options and after weeks of combing through the internet and forums i decided on the Akrapovic. Now i've listened to every youtube and instagram video i could find but i need more info from people who have it or have heard it in real life. I am on stock DP's.

Does it have any rasp or a trumpet-like sound?

Any vibrations during any RPM?

Does it drone ?

I wouldn't want to pay 8300 euros for an exhaust that i don't really like
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:52 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

No OPFs on my car. With stock DPs no drone or unpleasant bass caused by the exhaust at regular rpm. Increase in volume with valves open by quite a margin. Very tame with valves closed. Catless DPs creat unpleasant noises here and there, but make it crazy loud.
      02-27-2024, 02:04 PM   #3
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Gorilla View Post
I have an M2 Competition 2019 with OPF's and as you know the sound is... lacking.

So i started looking for some exhaust options and after weeks of combing through the internet and forums i decided on the Akrapovic. Now i've listened to every youtube and instagram video i could find but i need more info from people who have it or have heard it in real life. I am on stock DP's.

Does it have any rasp or a trumpet-like sound?

Any vibrations during any RPM?

Does it drone ?

I wouldn't want to pay 8300 euros for an exhaust that i don't really like
It's expensive, yes. I had the slip on installed recently and all i can say is that it greatly complements the eventuri intake. It gives you the option to drive the car in efficient mode which is great. I think that in efficient mode, stock, the car sounds like crap.

Sport and sport plus sound better too. Avoid the link pipe, try to pair it with the eventuri intake. This is how the car should have come from the factory.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2024, 04:44 PM   #4
Mister_Gorilla
Registered
Rep

Avoid the linkpipe because it isn't necessary ? Or because of something else ?

Yeh the next item on my list is the Eventuri intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 04:25 AM   #5
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Avoid the linkpipe because it isn't necessary ? Or because of something else ?

Yeh the next item on my list is the Eventuri intake.
In your original post you ask three questions. It seems that you are concerned about everyday drivability. At least this is how i interpreted it. My suggestion was to use the money for the link pipe and get the eventuri.

That will make your car sound much better in all modes, but also in efficient mode which is great for a daily driver because u get a great sounding car without having to deal with that damn ASD.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2024, 04:50 AM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
In your original post you ask three questions. It seems that you are concerned about everyday drivability. At least this is how i interpreted it. My suggestion was to use the money for the link pipe and get the eventuri.

That will make your car sound much better in all modes, but also in efficient mode which is great for a daily driver because u get a great sounding car without having to deal with that damn ASD.
There's truth to this. Some have done Akra back box only and not liked the sound improvement. Sound changes but still to quiet. Link pipes with even factory back box gets a volume increase.
      02-28-2024, 06:19 AM   #7
Mister_Gorilla
Registered
Rep

I forgot to say that this is my daily and i am concerened about everyday drivability i forgot to mention that...

I already disabled the ASD and i can finally hear the engine work which is nice.

I was just concerened about rasp because in my last car a Mercedes C400 w205 i installed an Armytrix turbo-back exhaust with 200 cell cats and it rasped and droned like a trumpet from 2800 to 3400 RPM and it drove me crazy, so i put back the factory cats and the drone and rasp went away. So i don't want to make the same mistake with the M2 comp... Which shouldn't be a problem with the stock cats as i am led to believe plus Akrapovic's reputation of quality
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2024, 06:35 AM   #8
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to say that this is my daily and i am concerened about everyday drivability i forgot to mention that...

I already disabled the ASD and i can finally hear the engine work which is nice.

I was just concerened about rasp because in my last car a Mercedes C400 w205 i installed an Armytrix turbo-back exhaust with 200 cell cats and it rasped and droned like a trumpet from 2800 to 3400 RPM and it drove me crazy, so i put back the factory cats and the drone and rasp went away. So i don't want to make the same mistake with the M2 comp... Which shouldn't be a problem with the stock cats as i am led to believe plus Akrapovic's reputation of quality
Yes, keep the stock cats and you'll be happy. I don't have a rasp with mine, but that bassy drone at 2800 is fierce. I'm really sensitive to bass and it does bother me. Not enough to switch back to the stock cats, but it's borderline.
      02-28-2024, 08:59 PM   #9
thrilla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Get the Akrapovic link pipe and the back box. I don’t have the OPF. I have it mated to the stock down pipe and I like the sound. It fits the character of the M2 better. No drone for me either.
I have to admit that my favorite part about the mod is losing the diaper look from the rear.
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2024, 06:49 AM   #10
Mister_Gorilla
Registered
Rep

Yes i will get the back box and the link pipe together, because i don't want to cut the stock exhaust just in case if i ever want to sell the car. I don't know anybody who wouldn't want an Akrapovic exhaust with their car but you never know.

First i wanted to get an equal length exhaust, but then i started researching and found out if i order a backbox and the midpipe from AA it will cost me nearly as much as the akrapovic. Then i started looking for alternatives and stumbled upon the Ragazzon equal length but i wasn't sure about the quality of the exhaust so i opted for the Akrapovic. Heard a couple of videos and liked the metallic sound of the S55 unleashed. So i came here to bimmerpost to reassure myself that i am making the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #11
SlicRick
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Get the Akrapovic exhaust and link pipe when paired with the stock downpipe it sounds really nice. I don’t remember having any drone running that setup, it is kinda loud once you go into sport plus though good amount of burbles and pops.

I’m currently now running the full akrapovic downpipes exhaust and link pipe and that setup is well LOUD!! once I go over 4000rpm all hell breaks loose 😂, and I have to say I love it that way.
Appreciate 1