BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Auto Solutions & UCP Review

05-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #243
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
What made you go with 70A instead of 80A+?

That's the one thing I'm still vacillating over.
The 80A+ have no increase NVH. The noise some people are experiencing is with the stock shift knob resonating - mostly cause it's plastic and fits a hair looser on the shifter - Ron's shifter is slightly smaller in diameter than stock.

I would just order the 80A+ and call it a day. Super happy and NO additional noise once I ditched the stock knob. Even with the stock knob it was fine, I'm just super picky and have sensitive hearing.

Last edited by DarthFader; 05-10-2020 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #244
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
The 80A+ have no increase NVH. The noise some people are experiencing is with the stock shift knob resonating - mostly cause it's plastic and fits a hair looser on the shifter - Ron's shifter is slightly smaller in diameter than stock.

I would just order the 80A+ and call it a day. Super happy and NO additional noise once I ditched the stock knob. Even with the stock knob it was fine, I'm just super picky and have sensitive hearing.
I'm planning on sticking with the stock knob-- hence the vacillation.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #245
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I'm planning on sticking with the stock knob-- hence the vacillation.
I guess my point is that the stock knob might make noise on the 70A bushings as well due to not fitting perfectly on the shifter.

However, I can get the stock knob to not resonate by adding a little tape around the shifter before putting the knob on. The tape helps the shift knob fit tighter since Ron's shifter is slightly smaller in diameter vs stock.

Ultimately I ended up going with the heavier shifter because I liked the feel.

For comparison, when I drive my car vs my friend's, which is stock, there is zero NVH difference.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #246
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
I guess my point is that the stock knob might make noise on the 70A bushings as well due to not fitting perfectly on the shifter.

However, I can get the stock knob to not resonate by adding a little tape around the shifter before putting the knob on. The tape helps the shift knob fit tighter since Ron's shifter is slightly smaller in diameter vs stock.

For comparison, when I drive my car vs my friend's, which is stock, there is zero NVH difference.

Hope this helps.
It does. Much appreciated. I was wondering if I could shim the knob, so that answers that.

Thanks again.

R.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #247
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:

Hope this helps.
May I ask which shifter did you choose?
What kind of tape did you use to wrap the shifter?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:04 AM   #248
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Any concern with the shifter coming off if the diameter is smaller?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #249
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
May I ask which shifter did you choose?
What kind of tape did you use to wrap the shifter?
Thank you
I went with the Raceseng Contour. It's shaped close to stock and isn't too heavy. Feels great paired with the SSK. My friend has the Raceseng Slammer and that feels great too, just slightly heavier. The Raceseng shift knobs are high quality and look great.

When I had the stock knob on, I used a small piece of racket tape on the shifter (I chose racket tape only cause it's the first thing I found). I didn't even go all the way around or the shift knob won't fit. Will take some experimenting. It did get rid of the tiny noise I was getting.
Appreciate 1
mzcp2660.00
      05-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #250
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Any concern with the shifter coming off if the diameter is smaller?
I don't think so. It didn't feel like it would come off while shifting.

I think the stock knob also relies on the the little alignment notch on the top of the shifter to hold it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #251
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
There are several people who have added a Raceseng knob to complete the AS SSK. I have a Blue Ashiko Knob F/S ($125) I switched to a different style.

Its the translucent model looks and feels great. I use the same knob in my RF MX-5.

Highly recommended..

HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 05-11-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #252
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I went with the Raceseng Contour. It's shaped close to stock and isn't too heavy. Feels great paired with the SSK. My friend has the Raceseng Slammer and that feels great too, just slightly heavier. The Raceseng shift knobs are high quality and look great.

When I had the stock knob on, I used a small piece of racket tape on the shifter (I chose racket tape only cause it's the first thing I found). I didn't even go all the way around or the shift knob won't fit. Will take some experimenting. It did get rid of the tiny noise I was getting.
Ok got it thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #253
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Well Autosolutions SSK fitted today and boy what a difference, it is absolutely rock solid, no give at all. In gear it might as well be welded on it is so solid and slack free.

Real clickety clack rifle action feel between shift's. I need to recalibrate my shift action to cope with the extra spring force pushing back against you, I was getting the hang of it after an hour today.

It is a little harder to move obviously, but in a mechanical way not in a sticky / friction way and you need to be precise with your movement, but I love it. Nice bit of extra vibration to the hand which adds to the feel. I'm sure as with anything it will loosen up with time.

Centering in Neutral is great, strong crisp pull to the 3-4 centre point.

I went for 20% reduction which is the lower amount Ronald suggested. And 10mm shorter, but I don't even notice that to be honest. Plus the poly bushes.

It's a man's shifter now, at risk of being sexist, my wife will hate it...

Altogether very happy with it
This above pretty much sums up how I feel about the SSK. Precise and solid shifting. You feel the extra vibration to the hand and the rev-match in a good way. I most definitely recommend this mod

Last edited by mzcp; 05-11-2020 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #254
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Just had mine installed, 20pc throw, stock height, 70a bushings. No additional NVH I could detect on my 40 minute drive back. Very crisp, tight throws. I liked the stock shift action but this is definitely a huge upgrade.

Middle setting on the UCP, has a nice weight to it now. The clutch delay valve is certainly more obvious as shifting very slowly takes more effort to control the clutch but I'm sure I will get used to it.
Appreciate 1
mzcp2660.00
      05-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #255
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

[QUOTE=The clutch delay valve is certainly more obvious as shifting very slowly takes more effort to control the clutch but I'm sure I will get used to it.[/QUOTE]

I may have missed this, but you don't want to remove the CDV?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #256
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I may have missed this, but you don't want to remove the CDV?
I find it really only impacts 1-2 shifts, maybe a little on the 2-3. Hasn't bothered me enough to change it. I'll see how I feel about the new setup after a few thousand miles and some track days.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #257
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Wrapped up my installation a couple weeks ago. I went with 20% throw reduction and 80a+ bushings. I went ahead and threw on the E series slave cylinder without CDV while I had everything apart, too. There's definitely more effort getting into each gear, but it doesn't bother me. Throws feel much shorter and everything is tighter and more direct. I feel like my 1-2 shifts are smoother now as well since the clutch seems to behave more normally. Overall I'm very happy with the upgrades.
Appreciate 3
BruceM984.50
mzcp2660.00
      06-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #258
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I have noticed a small amount of left to right play in the shifter regardless of neutral or in gear, almost a looseness before it feels solid. A couple of mm left to right if that makes sense. Apart from that feels very solid. Anyone else noticed this? I'm thinking it's play further down the gearbox as they actual shift action is so precise.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #259
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I have noticed a small amount of left to right play in the shifter regardless of neutral or in gear, almost a looseness before it feels solid. A couple of mm left to right if that makes sense. Apart from that feels very solid. Anyone else noticed this? I'm thinking it's play further down the gearbox as they actual shift action is so precise.
I haven't experienced this in my car. My shifter is rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #260
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I just want to follow up - I had the opportunity to drive the AutoSolutions shifter both on the street and in the track.

It’s an absolute revelation.
Appreciate 1
mzcp2660.00
      06-18-2020, 03:18 AM   #261
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Yea mine has the same, it's pretty impossible not to have some tiny play in a linkage with this many plain connections and pivots plus the leverage length of the shifter.

1 to 2 mm at the shift knob is negligible and like you say then its solid.

But it still really tight compared to stock with about an inch of rubbery wobble either way
Appreciate 1
Montaver2135.50
      06-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #262
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Just posted my raceseng knob in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #263
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I have the same play as well, was told it's normal. Once you go SSK, you ignore all the faults because how solid it feels rowing through the gears. Also mine makes humming noise as well time to time.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2135.50
      06-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #264
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yea mine has the same, it's pretty impossible not to have some tiny play in a linkage with this many plain connections and pivots plus the leverage length of the shifter.

1 to 2 mm at the shift knob is negligible and like you say then its solid.

But it still really tight compared to stock with about an inch of rubbery wobble either way
Yeh I'd say mine is probably 3mm at the gear knob but hard to say, you don't feel it shifting at all. Only left to right, forward and back is rock solid. I didn't even notice it at first. Feels like something further down the gear linkage as the shift action itself is rock solid. I asked Ron he said it didn't sound abnormal, just quirk of BMW boxes I guess.
Appreciate 0