BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke M2 Competition Midpipe Install Instructions

02-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
thanks for the pdf guide

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #24
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I would say 15-20% increase in sound with the valves open. As an aside I get hearing tests annually and I have 0 hearing loss on all spectrums which I'm told is very good :P Also I installed it myself in under an hour so my back to back sound comparison was very direct. Basically don't get your hopes too high that this will be a game changer in sound...I think most people who have posted have never modified their car with real exhaust systems before, based on all the threads on the AA Midpipe I definitely went in with higher expectations.

Comparisons:
My X5 Diesel with straight pipes is considerably louder and better sounding. I would say 1.5x loud but the diesel is super smooth sounding and the turbo whistle is intoxicating.

My E46 M3 with 4" turbo back and a couple vibrant resonators is very loud but sounds so much better; probably twice as loud.

The M2 Comp is still too quiet for me and my wife and she didn't notice a difference when I put it in. I quote "When are you going to put the new exhaust on" and I said it is on.

So I have VRSF downpipes in a box waiting until I decide to tune it; currently waiting to see what EcuTek comes out with.

I have listened to nearly every exhaust over and over again and done extensive searching on youtube, facebook, instagram for all different exhausts and I believe the best sounding seems to be the Active Signature setup for what I'm specifically looking for which is a deeper, smooth and louder tone. It's not perfect but the main sound is due to the twin turbo/wastegate design...a big single has proven to make the exhaust note a beautiful symphony but that requires some extensive changes for another day.
Haha if the wife didn't even notice it then it's not loud enough! I don't want stupid ear bleeding loud but I want it to be immediately noticeable. I had the dinan midpipe and rear section on my 17 M2 and it was noticeable but not obnoxious. Actually it could have even been a bit louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #25
BigBear2016
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp 2019

Aa mid pipe install ?

Hi Guys,

for anyone that has done the AA mid pipe install themselves, were the measurement cuts of OEM exhaust correct at 1.5 inches and 6.25 inches from resonator...

for the longer measurement, it appears that the cut would be closer to 7 inches.

also, did you need exhaust gaskets between the down pipe and aa exhaust.... there weren't any when I took off

AA tech reported not knowing these specific answers.... I don't want to mess this up, as my wife is curious why i need a part for my 5 month old car...

any help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #26
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear2016 View Post
Hi Guys,

for anyone that has done the AA mid pipe install themselves, were the measurement cuts of OEM exhaust correct at 1.5 inches and 6.25 inches from resonator...

for the longer measurement, it appears that the cut would be closer to 7 inches.

also, did you need exhaust gaskets between the down pipe and aa exhaust.... there weren't any when I took off

AA tech reported not knowing these specific answers.... I don't want to mess this up, as my wife is curious why i need a part for my 5 month old car...

any help appreciated!
It is wise to purchase two gaskets from the dealer that mate up the oem downpipe to the AA midpipe. These are one time only use compression style gaskets. Some have reused their old gaskets with success but if you want a leak proof seal I would purchase new gaskets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c8616c6de1e7eb

Watch this video for reference.

Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      06-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
BigBear2016
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Aa mid pipe install ?

THANKS! I did see this video, and I have confirmed a gasket is needed for the m3/m4 so I thought it would be needed for the M2C install. REalOEM is showing a gasket needed for connection between turbo and down pipe but i didn't see for mid pipe to down pipe flange for the M2C

Did you complete this install yourself and see a gasket needing replacement or re-use? That would be super helpful to confirm if needed. it is possible this was not installed at factory for my 12/18 build

I carefully separated the exhaust pipe flange from the down pipe, and there was no gasket. There is a tapered metal angle which mates up perfectly to the pipe.

Not seeing the gasket upon disassembly makes me raise this concern. The AA tech guy said if there was no gasket upon disassembly then, there would be no gasket needed. When pushed on their install experience, i was told the first install was done a shop away from them and 2nd install also elsewhere, and was used to create the instructions. they did do some installs in house, but these detail questions couldn't be confirmed...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #28
BigBear2016
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks Chmura- after seeing the video a 2nd time, the gasket is rigid and still on the car. I mistakenly viewed it as part of the alignment plate.... The car only has 2k on it and it all looks perfect.

I'm so glad i figured this out... appreciate the help...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #29
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear2016 View Post
Thanks Chmura- after seeing the video a 2nd time, the gasket is rigid and still on the car. I mistakenly viewed it as part of the alignment plate.... The car only has 2k on it and it all looks perfect.

I'm so glad i figured this out... appreciate the help...
I'm glad you figured it out. I applaud people working on their own cars. Much more satisfaction than overpaying someone to do it for you! And no one will take care your car better than yourself!
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #30
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Reviving an old thread here, but has anyone paired the AA mid-pipe with the MPE exhaust on their M2C? I am really interested to see if can be fitted without cutting up the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #31
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

How many hours would it take for a shop to do the install? Wondering what is a reasonable price to pay for the labor. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #32
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOrosie View Post
Reviving an old thread here, but has anyone paired the AA mid-pipe with the MPE exhaust on their M2C? I am really interested to see if can be fitted without cutting up the MPE.
Pairing it should be zero issue. MPE would line up with mid pipe after stock exhaust is removed. No cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1002 View Post
How many hours would it take for a shop to do the install? Wondering what is a reasonable price to pay for the labor. Thanks.
If you are just doing the mid-pipe and having to cut stock to accommodate, my guests would be 2-3 hours tops.
Appreciate 1
JL1002133.50
      05-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #33
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Pairing it should be zero issue. MPE would line up with mid pipe after stock exhaust is removed. No cutting.

If you are just doing the mid-pipe and having to cut stock to accommodate, my guests would be 2-3 hours tops.

Cutting the stock midpipe and installing AA takes less than 45 minutes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #34
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Nope. My BMW service tech had a used one from his F80, and we tried to fit it. Would have taken a bunch of cutting to fit it around the tranny fins at the axle. Not an easy fit at all, and I didn't want to hack the hell out of either.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #35
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Nope. My BMW service tech had a used one from his F80, and we tried to fit it. Would have taken a bunch of cutting to fit it around the tranny fins at the axle. Not an easy fit at all, and I didn't want to hack the hell out of either.
I didn't think the OP was trying to fit an F80 MPE but an M2C specific one.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #36
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct. But the AA midpipe is the same for both the F80 and F87. I was trying to fit my M2C MPE with the AA mid-pipe. That was the crux of my original question (which you replied to). I had my tech try to fit his old AA midpipe that he had used successfully with his F80 MPE. He thought it would work with my M2C MPE, but we tried and could not do it without major hacking, so I passed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:38 AM   #37
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Jus installed. Id say 25% louder if u have dps. Biggest diff is spool sound now. Can really hear them and i love it. Couplings deff leak by. U can feel air passing by.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2020, 02:37 AM   #38
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Jus installed. Id say 25% louder if u have dps. Biggest diff is spool sound now. Can really hear them and i love it. Couplings deff leak by. U can feel air passing by.
Oh one more thing. Burbles with just decat dps is not to bad but both midpipe and dps is too much for sure. Plan to disable if doing both or prepare to be annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #39
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Disabled burbles are the only way to go...oe burbles are bad enough imo.
      06-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #40
sarkuch
Private
Rep
Drives: M3C Xdrive 2024

Here's the AA midpipe install video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I installed the AA midpipe yesterday on my M2 Comp and it came without instructions. The link on the AA webpage ended up being the M3/M4 and not the M2.

Here is a link the the M2C install instructions:
https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Ac...5da4999c9c1e77

My quick review:
- Not a crazy difference in sound on the M2C to be completely honest. Slightly deeper and slightly louder...slightly. (Stock Downpipes, No tune, Efficient/Sport/Sport+ tested) For anyone in California you should not be worried about installing this mod...not in the slightest.
- Rear clamps definitely don't fully seal and they seem like junk to me but I've been spoiled with V-band everything for quite some time. I will most likely get v-bands installed and these ball clamps removed/piping welded together at a later date.
- Lastly I'm still after a deeper and better sounding symphony from the exhaust so if anyone in SoCal has the Signature Exhaust maybe we could get together for a listen. I have VRSF downpipes to install at a later date when I decide to tune but that will be a little bit.
Here's the best video I've found on AA midpipe instllation for M2C. It also includes sound clips:

Appreciate 2
      06-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #41
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkuch View Post
Here's the best video I've found on AA midpipe instllation for M2C. It also includes sound clips:

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 07:20 PM   #42
OverRev
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F22 M235i

can someone confirm if the mid pipe is the same between F80 M3 and F87 M2C? Although they share the same S55 engine and but I think the length of the factory exhausts are different.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:25 AM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRev View Post
can someone confirm if the mid pipe is the same between F80 M3 and F87 M2C? Although they share the same S55 engine and but I think the length of the factory exhausts are different.
Different midpipe ,we offer both

Appreciate 0