BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Lightweight front lip install?

06-11-2020, 03:49 AM   #23
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
All,

I went to install the front lip, and have a few quick questions.

1) Just to confirm, I need to drill 6 new holes--2 on each outer edge and the 2 in the middle for the spacer, correct? For the outer edge holes, do I drill the 2 closest to the edge of the bumper circled in black or the ones in the rear, circled in red? The ones in front seem so close to the edge of the bumper. What are the 2 extra ones in the rear for?

2) There are a couple of rivets along the edge where the bumper meats the plastic guard on the corners. Do I just remove those or leave them on? They are in between the screws that go in the fasteners provided by Lightweight.

3) I pulled the plastic off of the lip and I must say the finish isn't very clean, sort of swirly like. Was your like that? I suppose I didn't expect much but it's a bit rough.

1. It will become pretty clear when you go to install it. Yes it's 6 holes, the ones you circled black plus the two in the middle where the spacer goes.
The red ones go in the OEM holes. That's how you mark the 6 new holes - mount the lip with the OEM holes only, mark the bumper, remove the lip, drill and install jack nuts, reinstall the lip.

2. I had to slightly enlarge the holes in the lip so the plastic rivets fit in them. I did not remove any

3. Dunno, mine is CF and it was flawless.
Appreciate 0