BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > At last, I again have Bass - Audio upgrade project restarted

12-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

At last, I again have Bass - Audio upgrade project restarted

After a 10-month hiatus, I dove back into upgrading the audio in my M2C over the last week. My pile of audio equipment that I can't use because it was all too big for the available space in this car is sort of depressing, but that's life.

I considered going ahead and having MusicarNW build the drop-down amp rack in my car (they've done it on another member's car now), but I really wanted to get this car to a point where I could pull everything out myself if needed.

Items I bought to get started again (with notes):
Visual Ice corner-mount subwoofer enclosure - I could not be happier with this fella. It took a couple of weeks to get here, but it was actually flat-out stellar service considering the made-to-order nature of it and the distance between Oregon and England (shipping time). See below for a picture of it (upside down - no matter what I do this morning, it keeps ending up upside down...grrrr). I did a crap job with a strip of Velcro (it's visible in the shot), which I'll fix after work tonight...or tomorrow...or sometime.

Helix Match UP 7BMW - I did replace the PP86 from Bimmertech with an UP 7. I ended up having an unexpected space issue with the PP86 (the RCA cables for the mono-out actually make it not fit in it's spot very well). Space issues aside, I just wasn't happy with the low amount of power going to the under seat channels with the PP86, so I ended not feeling like dealing with the minor space issue, The UP 7 software now has some FX features that are interesting. There's a "Bass Expander" that was active by default at a 3 DB boost centered at 60Hz. Turn it off if you are running a real sub...it was awful. There's also a feature to enhance the Center Channel, and I'm curious as to how well it does (but my center channel is unplugged). Overall, I love this little amp. Still kicking myself for buying the PP86 in the first place.

The tunes you can download from the manufacturer are, uh, interesting. There's some choices made in them that are a pretty bad idea. Careful with them.

JL XD300/1 to power the subwoofer - this fella was purchased simply because it would fit. I had a perfectly good sub amp. Oh well. I had a friend 3D print four small mount plates for each corner of the amp out of heat-resistant resin so that the amp wouldn't be sitting directly against the floor of the right-side behind-the-wheel space (same spot Dirtyboy used). I'm concerned about clearance issues for heat dissipation (the mount plates are only a quarter-inch thick, but there wasn't much space in there to begin with) , so I haven't put the storage thingy back in yet. My friend and I are looking at 3D printing a cover for that area instead of the bucket-thing.

I have some tuning to do, but I loaded a basic tune last night and it already sounds tons better. As soon as I have some time, I'll head into the doors and get my Hybrid Audio Mids and Morel Tweets in, and then the tuning fun really begins!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0