BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Rear Facing Child Seat

04-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
popcornten
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981.1 Boxster S

Rear Facing Child Seat

Looking for suggestions from anyone currently using a rear facing car seat in the rear seat. We are currently 7 months old so I plan on picking up a convertible seat that she can grow with in the car.

Which one do you use and do your recommend it? Hoping to find one shallow enough for my wife to sit comfortably in front.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
Mullins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornten View Post
Looking for suggestions from anyone currently using a rear facing car seat in the rear seat. We are currently 7 months old so I plan on picking up a convertible seat that she can grow with in the car.

Which one do you use and do your recommend it? Hoping to find one shallow enough for my wife to sit comfortably in front.
Unless you mean that your wife will fit comfortably in the trunk, I think you may have purchased the wrong car. I jokingly tried this with my convertible car seat and it only worked with the seat folded forward, and pushed all the way up.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
popcornten
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullins View Post
Unless you mean that your wife will fit comfortably in the trunk, I think you may have purchased the wrong car. I jokingly tried this with my convertible car seat and it only worked with the seat folded forward, and pushed all the way up.
It’s definitely going to be better than the Boxster lol. I have a friend who says he can fit it in the back of his M240i, waiting on his advice too.

Edit: he says they have a Nuna Rava and can fit in front

Last edited by popcornten; 04-20-2021 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
Mullins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornten View Post
Quote:
It’s definitely going to be better than the Boxster lol. I have a friend who says he can fit it in the back of his M240i, waiting on his advice too.

Edit: he says they have a Nuna Rava and can fit in front
Ah ok. I had an Uppababy Mesa, didn't fit in my 235 at all. Forward facing works ok though.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:51 PM   #5
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

I'm looking for same info, my M2c is coming soon and I'll need to be able to fit a rear facing car seat with a 1 year old. If anyone knows let me know. My wife is tiny so she can move the seat up pretty far for the front seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
popcornten
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok. I had an Uppababy Mesa, didn't fit in my 235 at all. Forward facing works ok though.
That makes sense, looks like that is the infant seat and those are definitely huge. The convertible will be much shallower and is the next seat up from infant ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
We have a nuna pippa rear facing infant seat.

Fits surprisingly well behind my wife in my M2. Even with the quick release base.

Plan on getting a nuna rava for when she gets older.

Happy to take pictures if anyone is concerned, just pm me so I don’t miss the thread.

Last edited by Killramos; 04-20-2021 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 05:20 AM   #8
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
We have a nuna pippa rear facing infant seat.

Fits surprisingly well behind my wife in my M2. Even with the quick release base.

Plan on getting a nuna rava for when she gets older.

Happy to take pictures if anyone is concerned, just pm me so I don’t miss the thread.
Would be cool to see a video of the whole process of fitting a baby into a rear facing seat in the M2. It seems hard enough to do in our SUV already, I'm wondering how i'll do it in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:26 AM   #9
chefczyk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa 4C, Z3MC, S3 Fulvia

Very doable - either put the baby through the driver side door or just do it very carefully. M2 is perfectly sized for a family - remember what sizes cars we grew up in ...88 civic here!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #10
dmcM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

I read this thread title as "racing child seat" and was kinda excited to see what this was going to be about.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

While not M2C I have a 15 month old rear facing in my M2. I'm currently using a Graco Slim Fit and also have a Cybex Sirona and Chicco Fit. For reference my wife is about 5'3" but rarely rides in the M2 with me.

To put my daughter in I always go from driver's side, put her in first then get my body in the back and sit down, then I can easily put her in and buckle, really not an issue at all. Taking her out is even easier as I can lean in the back, unbuckle and lift her out without having to get in the back seat.

I got the slim fit because it seems a tad smaller than the other seats and narrower (although width isn't much of an issue in the M2). Ironically I like the buckles the best on the cheaper Graco than the Cybex and Chicco as they are a bit more finnicky and while in a car with a back door I can use it is fine, in the M2 I much prefer the simple in/out buckle.

My wife can sit in the front of it, I wouldn't say 'comfortably' but she fits and we go on 15 min rides to places. What I notice is that it is really the top of the car seat back that impacts comfort, around the lumbar region there is a ton of space behind the front seat, almost makes a triangle of empty space, so if you put the pass seat more upright you can slide it back further.

I spent a bit of time doing this and I put a few seats in the back of the M2, ran the Cybex for a while then moved it to my GTI. Feel free to send a PM and I can send pictures and such.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #12
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Funny timing on this thread as I've been looking for slim forward facing car seats for my 2.5 year old. I kept asking my wife to help me select a seat but she kept stalling. Come to find out she doesn't trust ME to drive the M2 carefully with our daughter in it knowing my daughter will keep yelling "Faster! Faster!" and I will likely oblige.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #13
nismosao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Toyota Tacoma, '21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Funny timing on this thread as I've been looking for slim forward facing car seats for my 2.5 year old. I kept asking my wife to help me select a seat but she kept stalling. Come to find out she doesn't trust ME to drive the M2 carefully with our daughter in it knowing my daughter will keep yelling "Faster! Faster!" and I will likely oblige.
This one is very thin, and is the one I have in the back of my M2C. Daughter fits very comfortably and my wife sits in the front without any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My wife is different. I originally wanted a Supra. She said how will we both be able to go with you? Seems like I lucked out with her decision.

Rear facing seems like it would be a challenge however.
HODLM363.50
      04-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #14
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Since you are in the US/Canada all of your options are bulky. The M2C works very well for its size in front facing configurations but rear? Not easy. If you need to get it done, I'd move your seat all the way forward. It's also worth going with a Klek. We have 2 Fllo's. Admittedly one is front facing in the M2 and it works great. But it would be reasonable for rear facing without excessive bolstering.

As soon as that kid is 20lb turn er around. FWIW getting my kid in and out of my M2 front facing is much easier than it was in my Golf R.
      04-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #15
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
This one is very thin, and is the one I have in the back of my M2C. Daughter fits very comfortably and my wife sits in the front without any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

My wife is different. I originally wanted a Supra. She said how will we both be able to go with you? Seems like I lucked out with her decision.

Rear facing seems like it would be a challenge however.
I looked at this also: Graco SlimFit 3 in 1 Car Seat, Slim & Comfy Design Saves Space in Your Back Seat, Annabelle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTM3IVQ...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #16
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
For what it’s worth. My wife has no issues sitting in front of her, in fact she claims it’s more comfortable than our Lexus NX with the seat in place.

I have sat in passenger after a few wobbly pops a couple times and don’t remember it being a deal breaker.

More than good enough until the kiddo is heavy enough to be in a front facing seat.

Hope it helps.

Edit: I don’t have an answer or solution for the photos being upside down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:33 PM   #17
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
For what it’s worth. My wife has no issues sitting in front of her, in fact she claims it’s more comfortable than our Lexus NX with the seat in place.

I have sat in passenger after a few wobbly pops a couple times and don’t remember it being a deal breaker.

More than good enough until the kiddo is heavy enough to be in a front facing seat.

Hope it helps.

Edit: I don’t have an answer or solution for the photos being upside down.
Thanks for the pictures. I fixed them for you here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #18
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I also highly recommend those Diono seat protectors. If only to prevent your seats from developing permanent indents from hard points on whatever seat you choose. Think i paid $45CAD for them from amazon.

Fit really well in the M2 despite all the bolstering.
Appreciate 1
imOFP210.50