BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Paint Protection

04-12-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Paint Protection

I have my new M2 Comp arriving early June and was looking for paint protection ideas and recommendations Melbourne.
My current OG M2 has Opticoat and it has held up reasonably well for the BSM color.
Is it worth doing Expel film or GYEON coating as the front of current car is really very chipped.
Any feedback or recommendations appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Firstly, congrats on the Comp. It's a great car.

My last 3 cars I've had front end ppf installed (front bar, headlights, mirror caps, bonnet, side skirts and rear wheel arches), and then full detail and ceramic coating of the whole car. Rarely get nicks in the ppf from stones, but just makes maintenance and protection so much easier. Worthwhile if keeping the car for a long time as it's a bit of an investment (around 5k all up), or if you're OCD about car maintenance like me.

I use Dan's Garage for detailing and coating (in Nunawading), and Max Wang for ppf in Moorabbin (SunTek). Both very professional and highly skilled (can't see the joins of the ppf which is not easy to achieve).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:23 AM   #3
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
I have my new M2 Comp arriving early June and was looking for paint protection ideas and recommendations Melbourne.
My current OG M2 has Opticoat and it has held up reasonably well for the BSM color.
Is it worth doing Expel film or GYEON coating as the front of current car is really very chipped.
I used Max at Etuners Detailing. Previously he worked at The Lab detailing however has set up his own outfit.

I had GTechniq ultra serum as a ceramic coating and has a 10year guarantee. Was very happy with the way the car turned out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
I used Max at Etuners Detailing. Previously he worked at The Lab detailing however has set up his own outfit.

I had GTechniq ultra serum as a ceramic coating and has a 10year guarantee. Was very happy with the way the car turned out.

Thanks, it looks good just like my current one!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #5
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

Front end ppf and ceramic coating. It's worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Front end ppf and ceramic coating. It's worth it.
Thanks, that is exactly what I am thinking to do.
Nice CS.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
J15
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I have my whole car wrapped and coated. I do about 10,000km per year so better safe than sorry was my take.

If you're expecting the film to completely cover the car keep in mind that the front bar has a lot of complex angles in it. The PPF template has a lot of relief cuts in it to mould it to shape which means the film won't completely cover everything.

Also, don't expect them to wrap the film around every panel edge. For example, while it's pretty easy to wrap the bonnet around the edges of the panels, the film on the front bar stops a couple of mm short of the front head lights.

I still think it's worth it but if you wanted perfection you would need to ask for it and pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Do PCD and take to Extreme Colors Auto Spa. They are 10 min from the Performance Center and will do all PPF and Ceramic service needed. Drop my name and they will give you a discount! They work on every car at the Performance Center and are an XPEL dealer.
Attached Images

04-18-2021, 10:42 PM   #9
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J15 View Post
I have my whole car wrapped and coated. I do about 10,000km per year so better safe than sorry was my take.

If you're expecting the film to completely cover the car keep in mind that the front bar has a lot of complex angles in it. The PPF template has a lot of relief cuts in it to mould it to shape which means the film won't completely cover everything.

Also, don't expect them to wrap the film around every panel edge. For example, while it's pretty easy to wrap the bonnet around the edges of the panels, the film on the front bar stops a couple of mm short of the front head lights.

I still think it's worth it but if you wanted perfection you would need to ask for it and pay for it.
You'll never be 100% happy with a template because the edges are visible and will trap dirt eventually. Take it to someone skilled enough to custom cut and fit the front bar and you'll never see the edges as they're all tucked in behind the panels. I say 'skilled' because less skilled installers will leave razor blade cuts in your paint

If you're in Melbourne, happy to meet up at some stage and show you what a high quality ppf installation looks like.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:07 PM   #10
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J15 View Post

You'll never be 100% happy with a template because the edges are visible and will trap dirt eventually. Take it to someone skilled enough to custom cut and fit the front bar and you'll never see the edges as they're all tucked in behind the panels. I say 'skilled' because less skilled installers will leave razor blade cuts in your paint

If you're in Melbourne, happy to meet up at some stage and show you what a high quality ppf installation looks like.
Lol false. A modified pattern can look as good as a bulk install. It does require a lot of skill but saying a custom install is the only way to make it look good is false. PPF is very hard regardless.

OP-wrap the whole car. It's worth it
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:10 AM   #11
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Lol false. A modified pattern can look as good as a bulk install. It does require a lot of skill but saying a custom install is the only way to make it look good is false. PPF is very hard regardless.

OP-wrap the whole car. It's worth it
The template wraps I've seen look awful. I wouldn't accept it on my car. It might look good at the start but looks crap after a few years once some dirt has trapped at the leading edges.
Your experience with it says otherwise, I'm not doubting you. It seems to be that the installer is more important than the technique.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2C View Post
Do PCD and take to Extreme Colors Auto Spa. They are 10 min from the Performance Center and will do all PPF and Ceramic service needed. Drop my name and they will give you a discount! They work on every car at the Performance Center and are an XPEL dealer.
Thanks, I am just not sure how I get my car from Australia to that location?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Didnt see your location, thought you were doing PCD and were actually local to me in Melbourne FL. Research for local XPEL installers. The film is half of it, key is finding an experienced installer.
      04-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #14
lagunaseca
Rep
Drives: M2C

If anyone has recommendations for good installers in Sydney, it would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #15
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN_M2C View Post
Quote:
Didnt see your location, thought you were doing PCD and were actually local to me in Melbourne FL. Research for local XPEL installers. The film is half of it, key is finding an experienced installer.
😂
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #16
RickHansen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I am really confuse in my experience. I have only just had a ceramic coat for the first time ever with my M2C but have always looked after my cars with wax etc. Is it coincidence that my M2C which now hs 2100 k's on it has the worst chip I have had in my life, right to bare metal but not a dent or anything, just a chip. I feel like the ceramic is like a ceramic plate and I seem to always have a plate with a chip....not a scratch...a chip, so doe this protection act like a hard coat that where typically would cop a scratc, actually chip instead?? I don't think I'll ceramic coat again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 05:19 AM   #17
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
I am really confuse in my experience. I have only just had a ceramic coat for the first time ever with my M2C but have always looked after my cars with wax etc. Is it coincidence that my M2C which now hs 2100 k's on it has the worst chip I have had in my life, right to bare metal but not a dent or anything, just a chip. I feel like the ceramic is like a ceramic plate and I seem to always have a plate with a chip....not a scratch...a chip, so doe this protection act like a hard coat that where typically would cop a scratc, actually chip instead?? I don't think I'll ceramic coat again.
Just unlucky. The ceramic coat adds a hardness to the top of the clear coat, but it won't change the hardness/density of the paint below.

Don't count on ceramic coating to stop stone chips. It "may" reduce damage of glancing blows, but if your looking for proper stone chip protection PPF is the way to go. Ceramic coatings main job is to help keep the paintwork In good condition from contaminants and washing etc and helps make it way easier to clean.

Lots of people that get PPF apply ceramic over the top for the "help keep clean" properties.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:06 AM   #18
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Had my m3 cs recently done by Affinesse in Clayton. Would highly recommend as they wrapped most of it over the edges rather than using mostly pre-cuts which leave a gap.

Chose to do ceramic coating myself as it is somewhat fun to DIY!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 05:15 AM   #19
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunaseca View Post
If anyone has recommendations for good installers in Sydney, it would be much appreciated.
My car has a full wrap with Suntek done by Ozi Cozi at Artarmon, great job and reasonable pricing. They use a template & unlike an earlier poster I would never let someone cut on the car, truth is you won't know for sure whether they've scarred the paint with their knife until the ppf is later removed.

3.5yrs/83K km on still happy and honestly best money I've spent on the car as I do a bit of hard country driving plus track. I've had 2 windscreen replacements and 2 repairs in current screen, front number plate cover looks like it's been sandblasted and I have a lot of marks on the film from bigger rock hits but the paint is safe. I'll be getting the film replaced within 12mths, pretty much only the roof/boot are free of impact damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #20
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Had my m3 cs recently done by Affinesse in Clayton. Would highly recommend as they wrapped most of it over the edges rather than using mostly pre-cuts which leave a gap.

Chose to do ceramic coating myself as it is somewhat fun to DIY!
I had my current one ceramic coated by these guy's and found them easy and competent to deal with so might get them to requote the incoming.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #21
Blitz168
Rep
Drives: M2

Ceramic coating is good and makes it easier to clean.
But wraps work amazing. I've seen some bad jobs and could only reccomend xpel
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #22
BMW ///M
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition Germany Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHansen View Post
Lets see - a diamond has a hardness of 10 and Talc has a hardness of 1.

If you hit a diamond with a hammer it shatters into chips and Talc will deform to the shape of the hammer. So paint is somewhere in the middle, and ceramics are up near diamonds (being 9H). And since "ceramics bond to the paint" you bet your butt that ceramic coatings increase the hardness of your paint.

Thus if you put ceramic coatings on your car you increase the severity of the any stone chips. I think that is why people insist on putting on PPF first.

Just a thought
Appreciate 0