04-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #45
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
To eliminate any questions in the future:

Why did I buy M2CS regardless of the fact that I think it is overpriced and the M2CS suspension should be upgraded to make its street driving better?

- M2C is my wife’s summer car
- I like the M2C exterior, its size, fun factor, DCT, and I want to keep that car for ages
- the M2C has already some serious mileage and the kids already put some scratches to its interrior
- It made zero sense to buy another M2C
- I wanted CCBs
- I wanted better leather

Given the above it was logical to think of M2CS and to add it to wife’s M2C. Yes it is overpriced and Cayman GT4 is by far a better car but I think I earn enough to swallow that pill if I just want to buy M2 as a keeper regardless of it being overpriced.

On top of that the spring time affected my decision as it happened with Cris Harris as well and I was offered a VERY good deal with discount and thus just could not resist.
Since we are being honest here please allow me to comment on your approach to the M2 CS.

You're treating it like you would an M2C WHICH IT IS NOT.

BMW made the BEST RIDING street car it's made in many years and you're willing to throw that out the window for what, cause that's what you did on the M2C?

The M2 CS is the epic car it is due to the current and entire suspension design it sits on. Changing springs won't change the character of the ride either. Just ask those who have installed them.

But changing to coilovers on an M2 CS is like removing the V8 in the E92 M3 and installing the S14 because it worked well in the E30 M3.

Very unique approach to the M2 CS you just spent $85k plus on.
      04-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #46
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Since we are being honest here please allow me to comment on your approach to the M2 CS.

You're treating it like you would an M2C WHICH IT IS NOT.

BMW made the BEST RIDING street car it's made in many years and you're willing to throw that out the window for what, cause that's what you did on the M2C?

The M2 CS is the epic car it is due to the current and entire suspension design it sits on. Changing springs won't change the character of the ride either. Just ask those who have installed them.

But changing to coilovers on an M2 CS is like removing the V8 in the E92 M3 and installing the S14 because it worked well in the E30 M3.

Very unique approach to the M2 CS you just spent $85k plus on.

All I did with M2C I changed its suspension to MP coilovers and was happy with the result.
When I thought of M2CS I was not 100% sure if I install the MP coilovers or not as SOME members on this forum stated that adaptive suspension of M2CS is such a beautiful one. I was skeptical about it but I accepted that it might be the case that BMW created a miracle this time.

I planned to test-drive M2CS to check if it is true or not. But I just could not travel to Germany due to Covid and finally ended buying M2CS instead of test-driving it.

I bought the M2CS from one of BMW dealers in Germany having not even sat in the car as I was 2000 kilometers away. Signed the contract over email, payment done the same day.

And later when they delivered M2CS in 10 days to me I had a chance to drive it back to back with my M2C with MP coilovers. The reality turned out that the M2CS suspension provides better comfort than OEM M2C suspension but it is still less comfortable and ib principle worse than MP Coilovers.

End of story.

P.S. M2CS is significantly more expensive in Europe than $85K which they are offered in US for

Last edited by kart driver; 04-16-2021 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
chris7197334.00
      04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #47
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All I did with M2C I changed its suspension to MP coilovers and was happy with the result.
When I thought of M2CS I was not 100% sure if I install the MP coilovers or not as SOME members on this forum stated that adaptive suspension of M2CS is such a beautiful one. I was skeptical about it but I accepted that it might be the case that BMW created a miracle this time.

I planned to test-drive M2CS to check if it is true or not. But I just could not travel to Germany due to Covid and finally ended buying M2CS instead of test-driving it.

I bought the M2CS from one of BMW dealers in Germany having not even sat in the car as I was 2000 kilometers away. Signed the contract over email, payment done the same day.

And later when they delivered M2CS in 10 days to me I had a chance to drive it back to back with my M2C with MP coilovers. The reality turned out that the M2CS suspension provides better comfort than OEM M2C suspension but it is still less comfortable and ib principle worse than MP Coilovers.

End of story.

P.S. M2CS is significantly more expensive in Europe than $85K which they are offered in US for
Ah gotcha. Back to back comparison of the M2 CS with the MP Coil-overed M2C. Ok great comparison.

I'm thinking about changing the electronics all together in my M2 CS.

Racing Dash, Racing Steering wheel, Coilovers etc...

That would be a bad ass hybrid now wouldn't it!

PTG did the same to my LTW back in 1995 and to this day 25 years later it's one of the baddest machines on the road.

Back in 1995 the conversion alone cost $75,000. That's equivalant to $130,000 in today's dollars for mods on top of the M2 CS purchase. That's how you make an epic car. Whose with me?

Make your street M2 CS epic. Install race parts!

Last edited by ptgltw; 04-16-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #48
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Why is installing coil overs on M2 CS such a big deal? Seems like you just pick the set you want have them installed. Adaptive suspension function just goes away in favor of better ride quality and performance. I did this on my RS3 which had adaptive suspension, no issues. Why is the M2C even being brought into this? Cause the dealer want install what you want? Have a shop do it. It won't void warranty on anything not affected by suspension. Seems like M2C vs M2 CS is a moot point IMHO.
Brandt51875.50
      04-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #49
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Why is installing coil overs on M2 CS such a big deal? Seems like you just pick the set you want have them installed. Adaptive suspension function just goes away in favor of better ride quality and performance. I did this on my RS3 which had adaptive suspension, no issues. Why is the M2C even being brought into this? Cause the dealer want install what you want? Have a shop do it. It won't void warranty on anything not affected by suspension. Seems like M2C vs M2 CS is a moot point IMHO.
You needed to install mag ride deletes (iSweep) on your RS3 otherwise your dash will light up with faults. The deletes are not cheap too - $500 for a set. I have to imagine the deletes don't exist for the M2 so you'll have constant errors on the dash whereas with the M2C, it's a simple swap. The RS3 comes with fixed suspension option and I would have gone with that over the mag ride all day long if it was a standalone option in 2018.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #50
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
You needed to install mag ride deletes (iSweep) on your RS3 otherwise your dash will light up with faults. The deletes are not cheap too - $500 for a set. I have to imagine the deletes don't exist for the M2 so you'll have constant errors on the dash whereas with the M2C, it's a simple swap. The RS3 comes with fixed suspension option and I would have gone with that over the mag ride all day long if it was a standalone option in 2018.
$500 might be a lot on a $20k car but not on a $60k or $85k car. Fixed suspension was not a standalone option on the 2018 RS3, it was part of a package that added $5k to the sticker, included ceramic brakes which were a nightmare with major issues for that car, why that option disappeared for 2019. So yeah, for roughly $2300 I got bilstein coil overs including mag ride deletes and never looked back. I think someone mentioned the fault cancellation kit from Ohlin would probably work for the M2 CS.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...ation-kit-edc/

Last edited by yaymitch; 04-16-2021 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #51
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
$500 might be a lot on a $20k car but not on a $60k or $85k car. Fixed suspension was not a standalone option on the 2018 RS3, it was part of a package that added $5k to the sticker, included ceramic brakes which were a nightmare with major issues for that car, why that option disappeared for 2019. So yeah, for roughly $2300 I got bilstein coil overs including mag ride deletes and never looked back. I think someone mentioned the fault cancellation kit from Ohlin would probably work for the M2 CS.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-405066-bmw-m3-f80-m4-f82-cancellation-kit-edc/
I'm well aware. It was the only option I didn't tick mainly because the price for what you get - fixed suspension, CCBs, higher speed limit, CF engine bits. They got rid of the CCBs because no one was ordering them. They also got rid of individual colors after 2018. I have a buddy that has a nogaro RS3. That's the color to get and I'm still kicking myself for not going that route.
Appreciate 1
yaymitch867.50
      04-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #52
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
2 Davil & ptgltw:

May I just ignore your posts? The below is written of people like you:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...63&page=22

Post #469

Unfortunately you are just two BMW fanatics, who blindly believe that everything BMW produces, is a great product.

How old are you? You sound both like 20 year old kids.

Whereas ptgltw sounds sometimes in a more respectful way, you, Davil, are chasing me with your posts like a lunatic.

Internet is a funny thing. People hide themselves behind the screen. And in many cases those, who act like real machos, are weak guys with lack of self confidence.
I can just bet you would never tell me even 10% of what you have already said if we were standing face to face in real life.
Well said, 100% agree with you, as do many others I've seen say the same. Best just to hit the ignore button.
Anyway best of luck with getting the MP suspension fitted, I'd be inclined to forget dealers & just have a workshop do it. Yes you may impact warranty if you get a rattle or something that a dealer wishes to blame on MP suspension (even though it's a BMW endorsed product )but it won't affect your drivetrain warranty which is whats really important.
      04-17-2021, 02:55 AM   #53
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Well said, 100% agree with you, as do many others I've seen say the same. Best just to hit the ignore button.
Anyway best of luck with getting the MP suspension fitted, I'd be inclined to forget dealers & just have a workshop do it.
Yes you may impact warranty if you get a rattle or something that a dealer wishes to blame on MP suspension (even though it's a BMW endorsed product )but it won't affect your drivetrain warranty which is whats really important.

That is exactly the plan as these discussions lead to nowhere.

And yes, I have the plan to fit the MP coilovers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 03:20 AM   #54
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Well, if my CCBs have any issues and I had some bad experience in the past with BMW CCBs, then they may just insist, that suspension effected it.

But in the end, I may just take it off and install the OEM suspension in case any warranty issue arises. I am putting the MP coilovers anyway as there is no way I will drive M2CS (a more expensive M2) with suspension, which is worse for street driving than M2C (a cheaper M2), which I already have.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 03:50 AM   #55
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Sell the car. Problem solved...
I know 2 people who did that mainly because they can't mod their CS (lack of sound and message error). Everybody knows that a well moded M2 or M2C are faster than a M2CS.
Appreciate 3
ptgltw3777.50
Davil6523.00
f80_MG563.50
      04-17-2021, 07:31 AM   #56
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
I know 2 people who did that mainly because they can't mod their CS (lack of sound and message error). Everybody knows that a well moded M2 or M2C are faster than a M2CS.
I'm still confused as to why he bought the car in the first place. BMW should do a case study on this one to understand the "doesn't really want it but buys anyway" market.
Davil6523.00
f80_MG563.50
Hedoniste3834.00
      04-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #57
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
, which is worse for street driving than M2C (a cheaper M2), which I already have.
All I can say is. Ok then.

I only bother to reply so that any new person wandering into this forum can understand that you are just plain out there and everything you come out with in no way reflects anything approaching reality. Think of this as a public service moral obligation.

Now let's wait for your Australian twin the angry bogan to post something about this and of course himself in 3. 2. 1...
Appreciate 1
f80_MG563.50
      04-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #58
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
BMW dealer refuses to install MP coilovers

This guy is definitely in the minority. This is the wrong car to buy if your goal is to make a modded track monster, unless you have unlimited funds.

I know at least one forum member has done KW DDC coilovers on their CS. It looks great, and I'm sure it drives great as well. However, I don't have the need to run coilovers as I think the car is great from the factory. Nearly every review raves about the handling and the ride.
Appreciate 3
f80_MG563.50
Davil6523.00
      04-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #59
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

Now let's wait for your Australian twin the angry bogan to post something about this and of course himself in 3. 2. 1...
      04-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #60
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

I just don't understand why you'd buy a M2 CS to mod the crap out of it, and not just get the Racing instead, or buy a C and just mod it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #61
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm still confused as to why he bought the car in the first place. BMW should do a case study on this one to understand the "doesn't really want it but buys anyway" market.
There are a several bad roads in my area and none of my M drove good on it. The CS is a bit more progressive than my previous F80 M3 which helps to put the power down but it is not possible to drive too fast because I would take too many risks and crash the car. I guess the M135i will be easier to drive on those bad tarmac. So I understand the problem of Kart Driver regarding bad roads but I will be suprised if passive can solve this problem (My dad's M2 is even worse on those roads with its passive setup). Maybe with a softer passive setup and more suspension travel it could be more usable...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #62
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
This guy is definitely in the minority. This is the wrong car to buy if your goal is to make a modded track monster, unless you have unlimited funds.

I know at least one forum member has done KW DDC coilovers on their CS. It looks great, and I'm sure it drives great as well. However, I don't have the need to run coilovers as I think the car is great from the factory. Nearly every review raves about the handling and the ride.

I will be clear on that one.
The reality is that ON POOR roads MP coilovers provide better comfort, than adaptive suspension of M2CS.
I want to make M2CS better for STREET driving, than it is now.

I DO NOT want to make a “modded track monster” as you stated.
Moreover this M2CS will most likely never see track days unless I am bored to death and because of Covid can’t travel to have a seat time in a racing car as it happened last year.

Quote:

I know at least one forum member has done KW DDC coilovers on their CS. It looks great, and I'm sure it drives great as well.
Can you please post a link?
Maybe that is the way to go for me.

Thank you.

Last edited by kart driver; 04-17-2021 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      04-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #63
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
"doesn't really want it but buys anyway" market.
It’s just life...

Example: I really don’t want you posting in this tread, but you post anyway...

Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
chris7197334.00
      04-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #64
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There are a several bad roads in my area and none of my M drove good on it. The CS is a bit more progressive than my previous F80 M3 which helps to put the power down but it is not possible to drive too fast because I would take too many risks and crash the car. I guess the M135i will be easier to drive on those bad tarmac. So I understand the problem of Kart Driver regarding bad roads but I will be suprised if passive can solve this problem (My dad's M2 is even worse on those roads with its passive setup). Maybe with a softer passive setup and more suspension travel it could be more usable...

M2C with OEM suspension is a disaster on bad tarmac. But properly adjuster MP coilovers are a complete game changer. I did it and was really impressed with the reasult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
I just don't understand why you'd buy a M2 CS to mod the crap out of it, and not just get the Racing instead, or buy a C and just mod it.

There is no plan to mod. The idea is just to improve the comfort M2CS suspension by just ADDING coilovers specifically designed for M2. That is it. Nothing else
Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3834.00
chris7197334.00
      04-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #65
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

May I just ask you to leave this thread. Please go post somewhere else.

P.S. You sure you would say it if you were standing in front of me face to face?
If yes, I am inviting you to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #66
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I will be clear on that one.
The reality is that ON POOR roads MP coilovers provide better comfort, than adaptive suspension of M2CS.
I want to make M2CS better for STREET driving, than it is now.

I DO NOT want to make a “modded track monster” as you stated.
Moreover this M2CS will most likely never see track days unless I am bored to death and because of Covid can’t travel to have a seat time in a racing car as it happened last year.
All good. You seem to be one of the few CS owners unhappy with the street setup.

I wish you well in you quest to install the MP Coilovers, and would love to hear a review of the before and after. I wouldn't rule it out years down the road, but for now I'm completely happy with the suspension. Our roads near the Florida beaches are pretty nice though. I just prefer a slight drop via sport springs, which will happen in a couple of days.
Appreciate 0