BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Clutch Action (Manual Cars)

04-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

Clutch Action (Manual Cars)

Hi!

I'm relatively new to the BMW brand and M cars so I hope I don't get flamed for this post lol. As much as I love the CS, the clutch action on this car feels a little artificial. IMO, It's not linear and I find it difficult to modulate (very springy) compared to the clutch on my GT3. Also, it feels like the ECU is doing some funky things with the throttle as I'm letting go of the clutch from a stop. To some extent, it feels like it's completely ignoring my throttle input. Does the clutch get better as it gets broken in (I only have 250 miles on the car) or are people performing mods to fix this?

Other than that, this car is amazing. Sounds great. Drives even better.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostytacos View Post
Hi!

I'm relatively new to the BMW brand and M cars so I hope I don't get flamed for this post lol. As much as I love the CS, the clutch action on this car feels a little artificial. IMO, It's not linear and I find it difficult to modulate (very springy) compared to the clutch on my GT3. Also, it feels like the ECU is doing some funky things with the throttle as I'm letting go of the clutch from a stop. To some extent, it feels like it's completely ignoring my throttle input. Does the clutch get better as it gets broken in (I only have 250 miles on the car) or are people performing mods to fix this?

Common complaint on the M2. It's not great, but not terrible.

Some people installed the ultimate clutch pedal and CDV delete. and it seemed to make it a bit more linear.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #3
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Hi!

Funny I had similar issues as well.
What really helped was clutch stop and also driving in sport plus mode.
Clutch stop really helps with consistency in clutch engagement point.
Sport plus improved the rev hang.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

You're not alone!

As others have stated the clutch stop is very helpful. There is an auto brake feature if on a hill to prevent roll back. Unsure if you are experiencing a little of that in some situations. Sport + was the mode where throttle response seemed to match my style.

I've ordered an auto solutions ask. I'll be honest. At 3k miles I'm finding the clutch has worked in very nicely. It's a significantly different feel from new imo. I'm sure some of this is me adapting. Pgltw will attest that the shifter upgrade gets it closer to that GT3 feel you have come to appreciate.

There is a built in CDV inside the slave cylinder. I'm replacing this as well. It's decide to prevent drive line shock, but makes it difficult to modulate. The E90 slave cylinder is the same part without the delay valve. Others have used a screw to pull the delay valve out of the factory slave cylinder.
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3777.50
      04-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Hi!

First and foremost, welcome to ///M TOWN where all the coooool Bimmers live

Secondly, congratulations on your choice of M - may your driving joy compound daily and exponentially with your new acquisition.

Thirdly, due to political regulations, we've had to stop burning witches at the cross for some time now, so feel safe as there are no fires here

Finally, the clutch takes some getting used to; Rev-Matching on top of that.

Most importantly, welcome to BimmerPost my friend
f80_MG563.50
MomoM3984.00
      04-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
Debtm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m3

[QUOTE=frostytacos;27456999]Hi!

Other than that, this car is amazing. Sounds great. Drives even better.[/
It took a few weeks for me to get used to the clutch now I love it.... but I can’t compare to the clutch of a Porsche gt3 but in September I will.....
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

It's like most modern cars IMO. I think it's better than most, but it still has far too much rev hang, which has nothing to do with the clutch, that's just the factory tune.
Appreciate 1
Davil6523.00
      04-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #8
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

DSC off removes rev hang and deleting the clutch delay valve helps tremendously.
      04-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #9
Debtm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
DSC off removes rev hang and deleting the clutch delay valve helps tremendously.
Can you explain what rev hangs is ?
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #10
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debtm3 View Post
Can you explain what rev hangs is ?
The RPM stays up between shifts for a moment and then drops.
      04-10-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
Debtm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
The RPM stays up between shifts for a moment and then drops.
Is that to keep the gear changes smooth? If so it really helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:

Not sure why it does that maybe emissions ? and I also thought it would help with smooth shifts but only if shifting very slowly otherwise under normal or more aggressive driving it makes it allot worse and almost impossible to smoothly shift.

Also back to the OPs original post had my 718 Spyder out for a ride this morning and the catch point is allot lower and more direct than the M2CS. The clutch stop on the M2CS really helped. I purchased the BMS and removed one of the discs. Very happy with the results.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...06-mini-cooper

Less rev hang in the sport plus mode and didn't seem to make the throttle too twitchy which I don't usually prefer.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

After owning the OGM2 6MT, with a horrible clutch feeling (sorry to say, but the truth) I've gone the DCT route on the M2CS.

1 The travel far to long
2 No feeling what so ever
3 Engagement to high

The MT was very good indeed, precise, direct, no rubbery feeling to me, but the clutch ruined it completely for me
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Hi!

First and foremost, welcome to ///M TOWN where all the coooool Bimmers live

Secondly, congratulations on your choice of M - may your driving joy compound daily and exponentially with your new acquisition.

Thirdly, due to political regulations, we've had to stop burning witches at the cross for some time now, so feel safe as there are no fires here

Finally, the clutch takes some getting used to; Rev-Matching on top of that.

Most importantly, welcome to BimmerPost my friend
I lol'd pretty hard reading this and thank you appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #15
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Quote:

Not sure why it does that maybe emissions ? and I also thought it would help with smooth shifts but only if shifting very slowly otherwise under normal or more aggressive driving it makes it allot worse and almost impossible to smoothly shift.

Also back to the OPs original post had my 718 Spyder out for a ride this morning and the catch point is allot lower and more direct than the M2CS. The clutch stop on the M2CS really helped. I purchased the BMS and removed one of the discs. Very happy with the results.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...06-mini-cooper

Less rev hang in the sport plus mode and didn't seem to make the throttle too twitchy which I don't usually prefer.
Great! This sounds like what I'm looking for so I'll give it a shot. Thanks! 🙏🏽
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
eric giles
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

I have zero issues with the clutch or it's action. I've owned many manual BMW's, and as I've told a few others...this is the easiest to drive manual BMW I've ever owned. It's the first one I have ever owned that does rev matching, and I really like it. My size 14 feet have always had trouble doing a well executed heel-toe, so I appreciate any help I can get!
      04-14-2021, 01:58 AM   #17
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Also, it feels like the ECU is doing some funky things with the throttle as I'm letting go of the clutch from a stop. To some extent, it feels like it's completely ignoring my throttle input.
This is the anti-stall crap fighting you. If you aren't giving it "enough" gas, it feeds more.

It will actually start moving on an incline with zero throttle input from the driver.

I want to remove the clutch delay valve myself as I hate the non-linear clutch engagement, but I actually kinda like the anti-stall stuff. Makes the car idiot-proof (or distracted-brain proof at least). It also allows you to one-foot drive the car for creeping in traffic - just let out the clutch and it will give you a 1st gear creep, then push it back in again and you coast (and can easily brake), without needing to go back and forth with your right foot.

I fear that changing the clutch engagement rate (by removing the CDV) will either totally mess up, or make less effective, the anti-stall system. (Would love to know if other people have done the CDV delete and have experience/opinions on this.)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:37 AM   #18
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
This is the anti-stall crap fighting you. If you aren't giving it "enough" gas, it feeds more.

It will actually start moving on an incline with zero throttle input from the driver.

I want to remove the clutch delay valve myself as I hate the non-linear clutch engagement, but I actually kinda like the anti-stall stuff. Makes the car idiot-proof (or distracted-brain proof at least). It also allows you to one-foot drive the car for creeping in traffic - just let out the clutch and it will give you a 1st gear creep, then push it back in again and you coast (and can easily brake), without needing to go back and forth with your right foot.

I fear that changing the clutch engagement rate (by removing the CDV) will either totally mess up, or make less effective, the anti-stall system. (Would love to know if other people have done the CDV delete and have experience/opinions on this.)
I'm with you on this. I didn't think it would be impacted, but if it is, then I'll leave my cdv alone. As is it's no issue at all driving this car in stop and go city life.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #19
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Also, it feels like the ECU is doing some funky things with the throttle as I'm letting go of the clutch from a stop. To some extent, it feels like it's completely ignoring my throttle input.

Can't comment directly on S55 programming, but CDV delete and clutch stop did not change antistall on N54. It does not read clutch pedal position....it detects the reduced idle speed as clutch and adds load request to maintain idle rpm. You can overwhelm it if you engage the clutch too rapidly. I can't imagine the S55 does this differently.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      04-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #20
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric giles View Post
I have zero issues with the clutch or it's action. I've owned many manual BMW's, and as I've told a few others...this is the easiest to drive manual BMW I've ever owned. It's the first one I have ever owned that does rev matching, and I really like it. My size 14 feet have always had trouble doing a well executed heel-toe, so I appreciate any help I can get!
Same here, Eric. I'm on my 6th manual BMW (5th manual M car) and have gotten used to the stock clutch by now. Its nuances are 2nd nature to me at this point. Also agree that the M2 CS has the best clutch and gearing feel compared to the past BMWs I've owned.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 10:54 PM   #21
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

The CDV removal has no correlation with S55 anti-stall tuning, in other words, that stays.
      04-19-2021, 01:33 AM   #22
H20neun
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Hi!

to answer your question, yes there are mods to fix that issue!

this blog post: https://55parts.de/blogs/wissen/das_...kupplungspedal
describes mods to fix the issue, it's in german unfortunately but maybe you can use a translator to read it

I did those mods expect deleting the cdv and the clutch feels much better, shorter, linear feeling resulting in a better clutch feel, disabling the ASD also helped to get a better feel for the clutch and car in general

what i did to the clutch: installed the clutch stop, the new copper bushings and got rid of the over dead center spring
Appreciate 1