Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
The n55 actually sounds pretty damn amazing for a turbocharged straight 6

It's not the best sounding BMW engine in history but it sounds absolutely epic compared to the twin turbo s55
Mate, stop contradicting yourself. Just a few posts above you said the N55 is the best sounding BMW. It does not sound "epic" in any way, even compared to a 4 cylinder civic. Please get off your high horse. It sounds a little better than the S55 version, but both are not "good" in any way and far away from "epic." You will need to get into a V8 and V10 BMWs to get anywhere close to Epic. I've owned 3 different SUVs that sound better.

You are doing BMW a disservice by suggesting the N55 is the best sounding BMW. Owners like you who keep lifting their cars up to unrealistic levels is why people think the M brand is washed out.
For starters, he never said that.

Second, everyone's opinion of the sound quality is 100% subjective anyways.

There's folks out there who thing a 4 banger civic with a huge fart can sounds amazing. Doesn't make them right or wrong, just means they have different tastes.

That being said, the exhaust note of the N55 M2 is widely praised by a whole heap of folks both here, and in the media. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. But trying to pose your opinion as fact is disingenuous, and the way you're coming across is just plain insulting. Take your trolls somewhere else.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN16281.00
cptobvious2531.50
      04-11-2021, 02:31 AM   #46
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
N55 sounds way better than the S55 IMO.

OG M2 was a great car for me.
Yes indeed Chris

04-11-2021, 06:20 AM   #47
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
I loved the M2 ever since it was released but I wasn't in a position to buy one until 2019. I wanted a new car so the M2C was it. I haven't spent much time around the OG or CS but it's definitely strange to see so much shade thrown around between the owners of the different species.

There are obviously differences between the cars and individual preferences for one vs the other, but it's a bit odd to hear some on this forum say they'd NEVER buy the OG or the C. Come on. They're very similar. Can't we all just get along. band together and make fun of the new M3/M4 grilles?
Appreciate 8
///M TOWN16281.00
cptobvious2531.50
DrKevM52272.00
wjones14650.50
Altra265.50
Moflow2484.50
Jimjamz4572.50
      04-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #48
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by veenut28 View Post
I loved the M2 ever since it was released but I wasn't in a position to buy one until 2019. I wanted a new car so the M2C was it. I haven't spent much time around the OG or CS but it's definitely strange to see so much shade thrown around between the owners of the different species.

There are obviously differences between the cars and individual preferences for one vs the other, but it's a bit odd to hear some on this forum say they'd NEVER buy the OG or the C. Come on. They're very similar. Can't we all just get along. band together and make fun of the new M3/M4 grilles?

Unfortunately, no, it's impossible for us M2/M2C/M2CS enthusiasts to all just get along.

Anyone here a follower of Scott Alexander?

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/3...-the-outgroup/

No? (Crickets...) Yeah, I suspect the overlap between car forum membership and Rationalist Movement is pretty small. But, as Scott Alexander so pithily put it, "I can tolerate anything except for the outgroup." So, what makes an outgroup? "Proximity plus small differences."

That's why you see Catholics and Protestants blowing each other up, but both groups say nice words when they talk about Hindus. That's why Real Madrid and Barca fans are happy to slit each others' throats, but say, "Oh, yeah, the Red Sox? Uh... they must be a good team." And that's why you see M2/M2C/M2CS enthusiasts clawing each others' eyeballs out, when the real enemy is the Nissan Rogue.

But, you know, god save my soul, but I LOVE the crazy back-biting and random attacks on this forum. It makes for fun reading. And it's a great way for us to vent our id, so that in real life, hopefully, we can be well-mannered and well-domesticated human beings.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      04-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #49
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Name:  2d5e9ef7-9e0e-4cad-a382-386661f504ab.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  150.8 KB
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16281.00
Kikuchiyo113.00
      04-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #50
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I think the N55 M2 with a stock exhaust and a sport-catted DP is the sweet spot for that engine. Not a big pop-and-bang-on-lift guy, myself. Is it the best sounding engine on the planet? Obviously not. I can think of many better--the recent Ferrari NA 12 cylinders are freaking amazing, for example. But at a more human level of car, this is a good sound. The stock S55 on the M2C is not my aural cup of tea. I like it better with the AA mid-pipe, but that is a difficult engine to tune for sound.
Appreciate 2
DanG10630.00
HODLM363.50
      04-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #51
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
I think you are delusional, but it's understandable since you own the car.

If you think that the M2 (N55) is the best sounding BMW, then you must be new to the brand. May be out of your price range, but you should try driving an S65 or S85 BMW. They actually sound exotic next to an N55 fart can.
Oh my, a bit of a snob are we? You clearly are trolling the forum, everyone and their grandma says the n55 is amazing sound to it and sounds exotic , you calling n55 a fartcan i can only imagine what the s55 would be in that case, the car you are pleading with ppl is leaps beyond

By the way you know me? Who i am or what i do? What i can and can't aford? You do know that the cars you mentioned can be had for less than the price of m2?

Your comments do demonstrate however your mindset, all your auto advice has been strictly about cost and price ranges , you lack a bunch in the passion category. Your posts remind me of those dudes that get their harleys shipped into bike week on a trailerbed and then drive the last 1/2 kilometre into town,

lol you sound crazy
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #52
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I bought a 2018 M2 with 6300 miles the other day owned by an elderly doctor who never drove. The M2 is amazing, sure the comp is marginally better but no one can drive the OG M2 and tell me it didn't make them smile. This car is stupid fun, I absolutely love everything about it, simple interior, no nonsense features, pure driving pleasure. if you turn DSC off the car struggles to stay in a straight line under full throttle which is so much fun! I bought this little guy and traded in my fully loaded 2091 X5 50i for it. I have a G80 M3 Comp AWD on order coming in August so this was a fun car to hold me over until then.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
nelsdvn229.00
Moflow2484.50
      04-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #53
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Delusional post, n55 M2 is the best sounding bmw

I dont think youve actuslly heard these different cars yourself
I think you are delusional, but it's understandable since you own the car.

If you think that the M2 (N55) is the best sounding BMW, then you must be new to the brand. May be out of your price range, but you should try driving an S65 or S85 BMW. They actually sound exotic next to an N55 fart can.
it's not about the money, the M2 isn't expensive. I traded in a car that was much more expensive for my OG M2 and I have no regrets. Sure the S85 is amazing, who doesn't love a V10... the N55 doesn't sound bad at all, it's not my N63 of my last car but I don't care because the car is still amazing to drive
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #54
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I bought a 2018 M2 with 6300 miles the other day owned by an elderly doctor who never drove. The M2 is amazing, sure the comp is marginally better but no one can drive the OG M2 and tell me it didn't make them smile. This car is stupid fun, I absolutely love everything about it, simple interior, no nonsense features, pure driving pleasure. if you turn DSC off the car struggles to stay in a straight line under full throttle which is so much fun! I bought this little guy and traded in my fully loaded 2091 X5 50i for it. I have a G80 M3 Comp AWD on order coming in August so this was a fun car to hold me over until then.
AWD won't be as fun as the M2 IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #55
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
AWD won't be as fun as the M2 IMHO.
I know it won't be, I might keep my M2 anyway. the goal was to build a track car, strip it out, roll cage, etc but I don't know what I'm going to do now. I love the M2, I'd like one in a standard (mines the M-DCT) but we will see what happens. I might go another direct all together. I ordered AWD on my G80 so it could launch, but as with the M5 you can disengage the front diff and only have RWD. my G80 is fully optioned to the tune of $100K +/- $2K since the ordering guide hasn't dropped for AWD yet
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #56
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veenut28 View Post

Unfortunately, no, it's impossible for us M2/M2C/M2CS enthusiasts to all just get along.

Anyone here a follower of Scott Alexander?

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/3...-the-outgroup/

No? (Crickets...) Yeah, I suspect the overlap between car forum membership and Rationalist Movement is pretty small. But, as Scott Alexander so pithily put it, "I can tolerate anything except for the outgroup." So, what makes an outgroup? "Proximity plus small differences."

That's why you see Catholics and Protestants blowing each other up, but both groups say nice words when they talk about Hindus. That's why Real Madrid and Barca fans are happy to slit each others' throats, but say, "Oh, yeah, the Red Sox? Uh... they must be a good team." And that's why you see M2/M2C/M2CS enthusiasts clawing each others' eyeballs out, when the real enemy is the Nissan Rogue.

But, you know, god save my soul, but I LOVE the crazy back-biting and random attacks on this forum. It makes for fun reading. And it's a great way for us to vent our id, so that in real life, hopefully, we can be well-mannered and well-domesticated human beings.
That blog reminds me of thelastpsychiatrist.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #57
Fuji550i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 m3, E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsdvn View Post
I absolutely love my OG M2. I have also noticed the constant shade thrown on the OG, and I appreciate you starting this thread, but it is a lost cause trying to convince C and CS owners otherwise. I just ignore it but a recent vehicle addition to my fleet has informed a pretty interesting experience in car ownership.

Is the OG an M? This is a ridiculous question and no person on the InTerNet has the authority to crown or dethrone a BMW as an M. One authority is the manufacturer and all BMW M models have VIN numbers that begin with WBS. All other BMW vehicles have VIN numbers that begin with WBA. Black and white. End of discussion.

Over my nearly 40 years of driving and car ownership I have always been a "car guy" and sought "cool" cars and lusted after the aspirational Porsches, Ferrari's, etc. I always thought that a component of ownership of cars like that (or my M2) would engage random folks. Thumbs up, knowing nods, waves, etc. Nope. The only people that notice may be a person that owns a similar car, which by nature is rare, as we seek unique cars. The reality is 90+ % of the public is oblivious.

Now what changed for me? I bought a tricked out Jeep Wrangler as a third vehicle. I have never been flooded with more random waves, thumbs ups, Dads pointing at the Jeep with their little kids, random conversations at gas pumps, etc in my entire life.

Does this mean anything? Maybe we are our worst enemy? The constant diminution and toxicity towards our own, car guys and gals, is ridiculous. It makes us all look like a bunch of arrogant non-blinker using a$$holes. Not approachable, rich snob whatever. We need to get over ourselves. The Jeep community is the polar opposite (mostly). Now there is some of the "OnlY a WraNGLer Is A rEal jEEP" crowd, but the community is much more of a true community than a bunch of guys measuring the length of their units or gals comparing can size.

At the end of the day we should all try to be more welcoming. Motor on.
Nice post buddy & well said.
I come from a background of 30 years of performance cars ownership & 20 years of motorsport competition (been on most the big forums/still on a few) & I simply don't understand the hatred you find on this site towards fellow enthusiasts. Is it a brand thing ? Is it snobbery ? Is it inexperience ? Is it insecurity ? Is it immaturity ?... I don't know but it's a shame it's tolerated & even encouraged by some on here.
The division between M2, M2C & M2CS owners on this site at times is almost like Ford vs Chev, Which is crazy because they are all versions of the same car !.
Having said that, there are some really nice folk on here so it is worth persisting, best just to try to stay away from the M2CS threads as those people CAN be particularly nasty/sad.
I have recently been spending more time on the M3/4 forum as I'm interested in most new performance cars & I found the owners on there are generally a little older/wiser demographic & as such are more accommodating of others ( just don't mention the grille ).
What's odd is I recently got out of an AMG & you would expect a similar demographic to BMW M owners but it was a much more pleasant group of owners/enthusiasts.
Anyway all the best & be assured we are not all arseholes .
The division between M2, M2C & M2CS owners on this site at times is almost like Ford vs Chev, Which is crazy because they are all versions of the same car !.
Having said that, there are some really nice folk on here so it is worth persisting, best just to try to stay away from the M2CS threads as those people CAN be particularly nasty/sad.

Seriously, I am one of the CS owner and I don't think anyone of us are sad or nasty.

The true enemy and all the hatred should gear toward BMW marketing because they make each new variant of the M2 with more Goodies or should I say more appealing to the buyer. Just like Apple selling their iPhone with different models. Why do buyer pay more for a pro instead of a SE?

For the record, I lusted the OG M2 when it first came out because of the fender flare and the size but the OG was missing a lot of the M parts compared to other M cars. If BMW didn't produce any other M2 variances then the OG M2 would have the same sought after car just like the 1M.

We all should be happy for each other that we own a M2 regardless what model it is. If you are not happy about yours then do something to make you happy.

OG M2 ( lusted )
M2C. ( sold less than 1 year )
M2 CS. ( current)
Appreciate 6
///M TOWN16281.00
DanG10630.00
(K)1270.50
Moflow2484.50
      04-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #58
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think the S55 is a great motor in terms of power and technology, but that crank hub is a huge issue, IMO. It would suck knowing that you really should fix that at some point prior to warranty expiring because of the potential motor doom a spun crank hub can inflict.

An S55 sound pretty terrible on a start and rather raspy and metallic under load. A midpipe can fix the sound a decent amount. The EWG N55 like the one used in the OG M2 sounds pretty freaking good. Add a catted DP and it sounds even better. The N55 with a DP and MPE has a very fluid warble that growls under heavy load and screams up top. It sounds like an NA I6 on steroids with some faint turbo noises.

I'm a DIYer. My M235 with the nearly the same N55 as the one used on the OG M2 has been flawless over it's course of 5.5 years and 50K miles of ownership. The N55 alone is the reason I see the OG M2 as the ideal option for me. The N55 is simple in comparison. Power wise, it not superior. The S55 will always come out ahead. The liquid to air intercooling on the S55 is ideal, but it's complex and can leak coolant into the motor, yikes! Then there's the crank hub. Parts for the S55 have the typical "M" markup. The N55 parts generally do not. Parts, overall, are cheaper for the N55.

If you want a reliable M2, I think the OG M2 is the better choice. The N55 is easy to tune and get into the 390-400whp/420-430wtq range on pump gas with the basic bolt-ons. That's a pretty fast car. If you want a higher revving turbo motor that can make 500whp without breaking a sweat, the M2C/CS is where it's at. Of course, that is assuming your DME isn't locked.
///M TOWN16281.00
      04-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #59
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Here we go again
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #60
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I think the S55 is a great motor in terms of power and technology, but that crank hub is a huge issue, IMO. It would suck knowing that you really should fix that at some point prior to warranty expiring because of the potential motor doom a spun crank hub can inflict.
Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me. The N55 and S55 crank hubs are the same.

Go look at the latest poll as far as how often this occurs and what's causing the crank hub to fail. Hint, it's not power levels so you can see it on the N55 just much.

People will always blow things out of proportion to justify things. In this case, it affects both cars the same.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1526190
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #61
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

M2 drivers taking the baton from M3 drivers
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Mook20.00
      04-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Tell me you don't know what you're talking about without telling me. The N55 and S55 crank hubs are the same.

Go look at the latest poll as far as how often this occurs and what's causing the crank hub to fail. Hint, it's not power levels so you can see it on the N55 just much.

People will always blow things out of proportion to justify things. In this case, it affects both cars the same.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1526190
You don't see the crank hub failure on n55 as often as s55. So many more n55 engines sold by bmw and not a whisper of crank hub failure concern.

Not a single n55 m2 crank hub failure I'm aware of on this forum but it didn't take long after the m2c showed up to see posts about failures here and bmw replacing engines.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #63
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You don't see the crank hub failure on n55 as often as s55. So many more n55 engines sold by bmw and not a whisper of crank hub failure concern.

Not a single n55 m2 crank hub failure I'm aware of on this forum but it didn't take long after the m2c showed up to see posts about failures here and bmw replacing engines.
Again, in the thread I just pointed out to you there were 5 known failures on N55 just a few posts down.

There's an active poll on the M2C forum which includes tuned cars and out of 111, there are 3 failures.

At the end of the day, they have the same crank hub and based on history, power output is not the main issue so this part can fail on either car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #64
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Yes, I I think that it's safe to say that the squeaky wheel gets the grease in a forum setting. I think that the whole spun crank hub problem is getting blown way out of proportion. It would be interesting to see the percentage of spun crank hubs there have been in the S55 total production. My guess is that it's extremely low.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16281.00
      04-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #65
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Yes, I I think that it's safe to say that the squeaky wheel gets the grease in a forum setting. I think that the whole spun crank hub problem is getting blown way out of proportion. It would be interesting to see the percentage of spun crank hubs there have been in the S55 total production. My guess is that it's extremely low.
Issues do get more attention on forums and there can be a perception that a large percentage of cars have a particular issue when it’s actually much smaller. At the same time, 3 spun crank hubs (so far- M2Cs are all relatively new, low mileage still) on 111 tuned cars is a HUGE failure rate from an engineering standpoint, and a reasonable concern when you consider the cost of a new S55. The biggest argument for the M2C tends to be tunability but if it can’t be tuned reliability, it’s not actually an advantage. BMW would never let a car get close to leaving the factory with a 3% engine failure rate- and of those 111, you can be sure that number will go up before they all get out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #66
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
@pruettfan out of curiosity what are your modifications? I wonder how much juice it takes a bone stock OG to be at the comp's level in terms of lap times
Appreciate 0