BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Trading for a Supra

04-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #45
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I genuinely don't know why you would disregard the laptime comparison from Randy. This video have demonstrated despite having lower HP, the supra have superior chassis to yield faster laptimes in a racetrack.
I think no one is disregarding the lap times.

The track time article referenced in this thread has apparently shown the Supra to have a superior chassis on one big, smooth race track. The related Best Drivers Car Ranking article referenced above has shown the M2 Competition to be the better drivers car on the road, a technical twisty mountain road, to be specific.

Out of 12 cars in the Best Drivers Cars rankings, the Supra came in last place. The only two cars to come in higher than the M2C were the Ford Mustang GT350 and the Porsche 911 Carrera S!

The cars ranked higher as a drivers car than the Supra were every other car in the test...

12. Toyota GR Supra

11. Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye

10. BMW M850i XDrive Coupe

9. Lamborghini Urus

8. Bentley Continental GT V8

7. Aston Martin DBS Superleggera

6. Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S

5. McLaren Senna

4. Jaguar XE SV Project 8

3. BMW M2 Competition

2. Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

1. The 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Is MotorTrend ’s 2019 Best Driver’s Car

So, does the OP want the better lap time car, driven by Randy Pobst at speeds none of us enthusiasts can approach, or does the OP want the better drivers car?

My choice was easy after reading all the articles I could find before purchasing.

I did not care about a slightly faster lap time at Laguna Seca, and I do not care for the Ninja Turtle looks, even if the car kind of looks cool in that way.

If one is happy with their car, that’s cool with me.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7441.00
      04-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #46
AJAXF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp HKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post

The track time article referenced in this thread has apparently shown the Supra to have a superior chassis on one big, smooth race track. The related Best Drivers Car Ranking article referenced above has shown the M2 Competition to be the better drivers car on the road, a technical twisty mountain road, to be specific.

Out of 12 cars in the Best Drivers Cars rankings, the Supra came in last place. The only two cars to come in higher than the M2C were the Ford Mustang GT350 and the Porsche 911 Carrera S!

The cars ranked higher as a drivers car than the Supra were every other car in the test...

12. Toyota GR Supra

9. Lamborghini Urus

6. Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S

5. McLaren Senna

3. BMW M2 Competition

So, does the OP want the better lap time car, driven by Randy Pobst at speeds none of us enthusiasts can approach, or does the OP want the better drivers car?

My choice was easy after reading all the articles I could find before purchasing.

I did not care about a slightly faster lap time at Laguna Seca, and I do not care for the Ninja Turtle looks, even if the car kind of looks cool in that way.

Ouch, you love to see it though! As if my choice was not already set in stone, I am now crazy excited for my new M2C to arrive after this info.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      04-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #47
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I've read that the 2020 Supra had some bump steer problems that were rumored to be fixed sometime in the 2021 rear model.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37457/...nsion-headache
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #48
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:

12. Toyota GR Supra

9. Lamborghini Urus

6. Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S

5. McLaren Senna

3. BMW M2 Competition

Again, one thing to note, this is over one lap, not a duration of 30 minutes or so. I will bet that the M2C will not only close that gap with the Supra but beat it consistently as it has much better cooling, brakes, and a faster shifting tranny. Nobody goes to the track for one lap.
JustinHEMI7441.00
natmad667.00
Mavus2026.00
      04-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #49
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I'll never forgive Toyota for not offering the Supra with a manual. If any car should be offered with one, a relatively small 2-seat sports car like this should be it.

Rant over.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 5
fullstack337.50
GPGP226.50
natmad667.00
Moflow2484.50
Altra265.50
      04-09-2021, 12:35 AM   #50
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
Nah, they won't.
If the Supra is quicker around one lap worldwide I don't really care. The M2C is in general quicker.

How the rear suspension behaves under heavy braking is horrendous...
I genuinely don't know why you would disregard the laptime comparison from Randy. This video have demonstrated despite having lower HP, the supra have superior chassis to yield faster laptimes in a racetrack.
Because it's one track. On most tracks the M2 is quicker.

Yes the Supra has a better chassis. The M2 has better straight line performance. One balances the other one out - according to most laptimes.

Both need upgrades to be track cars anyway and I doubt most can get 5 seconds short of a professional driver in a 2 minute GP track.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:37 AM   #51
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

My suggestion to nearly everyone.

Buy the car that makes you happy.
Nobody cares about press laptimes in such a detail. You'll be always slower than that and there will always be someone faster.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #52
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Hold your horses

More power, lighter and you get to keep the 6MT plus the manual handbrake

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/4x4...er-than-supra/
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      04-09-2021, 01:10 AM   #53
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah, they won't.
If the Supra is quicker around one lap worldwide I don't really care. The M2C is in general quicker.

How the rear suspension behaves under heavy braking is horrendous...
Because it's one track. On most tracks the M2 is quicker.

Yes the Supra has a better chassis. The M2 has better straight line performance. One balances the other one out - according to most laptimes.

Both need upgrades to be track cars anyway and I doubt most can get 5 seconds short of a professional driver in a 2 minute GP track.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 03:08 AM   #54
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

You'll run out of videos soon. I get the point, but I can't take amateur videos on track seriously at all. No offense but most people have no clue what they're doing (I'm no pro either).

Also I couldn't care less what car you end up keeping, fact is the M2C is quicker around most tracks, straight line speed is full 2 seconds faster 100-200 kph (same will be valid for 60-130mph).

Buy what makes you smile.
But google about the Supra's rear suspension under heavy braking.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      04-09-2021, 03:11 AM   #55
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:

12. Toyota GR Supra

9. Lamborghini Urus

6. Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S

5. McLaren Senna

3. BMW M2 Competition

1. The 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Is MotorTrend 's 2019 Best Driver's Car

If one is happy with their car, that's cool with me.
Again, one thing to note, this is over one lap, not a duration of 30 minutes or so. I will bet that the M2C will not only close that gap with the Supra but beat it consistently as it has much better cooling, brakes, and a faster shifting tranny. Nobody goes to the track for one lap.
I have tracked my M2c maybe around 20 days already. ~10 days at laguna seca and I can confidently tell you that no one will beat up heavy car like this for 20 min straight. That is plain stupid.

Stock to stock, you will cook both of your brakes very quickly. Also I would prefer a better handling car at track over better straight line acceleration. That's why you see miata/s2000 around track often.

I think I have to clarify. I love my m2 comp, but I also don't mind owning a Supra. Maybe I'm just salty that our f87 didn't get a sports car platform from the get-go
Bumpinjeep5463.50
      04-09-2021, 03:58 AM   #56
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have tracked my M2c maybe around 20 days already. ~10 days at laguna seca and I can confidently tell you that no one will beat up heavy car like this for 20 min straight. That is plain stupid.

Stock to stock, you will cook both of your brakes very quickly. Also I would prefer a better handling car at track over better straight line acceleration. That's why you see miata/s2000 around track often.

I think I have to clarify. I love my m2 comp, but I also don't mind owning a Supra. Maybe I'm just salty that our f87 didn't get a sports car platform from the get-go
1- I push it for more than 20 minutes, just needs decent tires and new pads etc
2- you can drastically improve M2C's handling with simple mods. Just get it some camber and it's a different car

Also I see way more BMW M's (and Porsche's, escpecially GT's) on track thatn Miatas or S2000. Don't think I've ever come across an S2000, but that's not a good car for the track bone stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #57
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You'll run out of videos soon. I get the point, but I can't take amateur videos on track seriously at all. No offense but most people have no clue what they're doing (I'm no pro either).

Also I couldn't care less what car you end up keeping, fact is the M2C is quicker around most tracks, straight line speed is full 2 seconds faster 100-200 kph (same will be valid for 60-130mph).

Buy what makes you smile.
But google about the Supra's rear suspension under heavy braking.
I had searched around for info about the unstable rear and it looks to have been improved for 2021.

Thank you for everyone's input, it may be my choice but it's always good to get info/opinions from other car enthusiasts. I have a test drive booked next week although the oil consumption issue is definitely playing on my mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      04-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #58
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

after finally seeing two of them in the flesh, I find the design interesting, but also not one that is going to age well. The M2C is one that probably will age far better over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #59
Wolf_Zero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 330, `21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Bosch gave their customers a guarantee it wouldn't be cracked

You would think that by now companies would have learned that they cannot actually guarantee something like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #60
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
Are you mad? No

Blind? Maybe lol

I would be embarrassed to be seen getting out of a Supra...
Even one like this? Obviously had mods for track but to me I kinda like this..
Pretty sure I raced that guy.

B58 sounds insane with the right exhaust.

It really brought be back to the early 2000's
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #61
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Would be fun to read a similar thread at the ToyotaNation forum!
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #62
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Quote:

1- I push it for more than 20 minutes, just needs decent tires and new pads etc
2- you can drastically improve M2C's handling with simple mods. Just get it some camber and it's a different car

Also I see way more BMW M's (and Porsche's, escpecially GT's) on track thatn Miatas or S2000. Don't think I've ever come across an S2000, but that's not a good car for the track bone stock.
Just curious, what track you are able to push for more than 30 min without tire getting greasy and brakes getting soft? I do have track tires/pads and lot of camber, and my pace is similar to randy post stock M2c.

Also I guess Miata/s2000 is more of a US thing. In Germany there will obvious be more German cars, the track there is usually higher speed than normal tracks. Like SPA or the ring.
      04-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #63
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Am I mad?

Had my manual M2 for a year now and it's a great car but there's something drawing me to the new supra. The b58 I have already sampled in my old 240i and the idea of that in a 2 seater is very appealing. Looking at what the supra offers in terms of drag performance, lap times, aftermarket mods and the idea of having something a bit 'different' whilst also being a better daily driver has got me thinking about trading my M2 against one.

Has anyone made the same move?

This is nothing against the M2, it's a very special car and something I enjoy driving. I know I'd be losing the manual transmission but the ZF8 was very good in the 240i and I can imagine it's only been improved more.
This isn't that complicated.

You own an M2 comp with a manual.
If you test drive a Supra and you like it, and are cool with whatever financial hit/price difference, then get whatever car you like driving.

I'd opt for the manual m2 but everyone likes different cars and on an M2 enthusiast board, opinions will be skewed towards the BMW.

Buy what makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #64
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Oh and again did I not mention that 2021 Supra's have oil burning issues and cylinder scarring?

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/sup...rand-new.7131/

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/car...ning-oil.8084/
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:51 PM   #65
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
Am I mad?

Had my manual M2 for a year now and it's a great car but there's something drawing me to the new supra. The b58 I have already sampled in my old 240i and the idea of that in a 2 seater is very appealing. Looking at what the supra offers in terms of drag performance, lap times, aftermarket mods and the idea of having something a bit 'different' whilst also being a better daily driver has got me thinking about trading my M2 against one.

Has anyone made the same move?

This is nothing against the M2, it's a very special car and something I enjoy driving. I know I'd be losing the manual transmission but the ZF8 was very good in the 240i and I can imagine it's only been improved more.
This isn't that complicated.

You own an M2 comp with a manual.
If you test drive a Supra and you like it, and are cool with whatever financial hit/price difference, then get whatever car you like driving.

I'd opt for the manual m2 but everyone likes different cars and on an M2 enthusiast board, opinions will be skewed towards the BMW.

Buy what makes you happy.
I never said it was complicated.

I was asking for other peoples opinions on a forum of which people share the same car and possibly have had experience with the prospect supra.

I've learned of the oil consumption issue and the locked DME both of which I was unaware of and both would be important to me regardless of how good a test drive was.

Thank you guys for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #66
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
This thread upsets me. We're comparing a z4 and an m2c because they put supra on a z4. Do what makes you happy though

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805010
Appreciate 0