BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > I think my tint guy put a decent scratch on the back seat

04-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I think my tint guy put a decent scratch on the back seat

I haven't had anyone ride in my backseat. I've never really been back there until I vacuumed the car for the first time today.

My car never sat on the lot, so it didn't have people in and out at the dealership. The only other person with access to my car was the PPF guy, but I don't see why he would need to get back there.

The tint guy is my best guess, though I don't know if they need to do any cutting inside the car since I believe the film is templates.

It's at the bottom, so it's not too obvious but I'm pissed that I have my first blemish that I don't know of any easy way to rectify. I'm not going to call the dude out, as I have no proof and it took me weeks after he was done to notice it.

Oh well, at least it's clean.

Name:  01617841825.jpeg
Views: 668
Size:  630.1 KB

Name:  01617841828.jpeg
Views: 656
Size:  579.8 KB
Appreciate 1
Wah2778.50
      04-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Probably not worth repairing but so annoying.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

Unfortunate. I’ve learned my lesson many times over to inspect the car before and after anyone touches it. A leather guy could improve it, or you could get a new backseat cushion from bmw perhaps.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 07:58 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I haven't had anyone ride in my backseat. I've never really been back there until I vacuumed the car for the first time today.

My car never sat on the lot, so it didn't have people in and out at the dealership. The only other person with access to my car was the PPF guy, but I don't see why he would need to get back there.

The tint guy is my best guess, though I don't know if they need to do any cutting inside the car since I believe the film is templates.

It's at the bottom, so it's not too obvious but I'm pissed that I have my first blemish that I don't know of any easy way to rectify. I'm not going to call the dude out, as I have no proof and it took me weeks after he was done to notice it.

That's not a minor scratch. I'd bring it up with the installer. Insurance may help out?
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Man that stinks! If it were me I would be looking at replacement cushions.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
It actually looks a little worse with the dome light in the pic than in real life, but is certainly noticeable.

My deductible is $1,000 so not sure I want to go through insurance. If it was one of the front seats I'd most certainly do something now but it took me nearly a month to notice it at the bottom of the rear seats.

I looked up some leather repair kits, but I'm concerned that a poor DIY will make it stand out even more than it does now. Anyone had any luck with a DIY repair?

Again, I really have no proof it was the tint installer and I doubt he would accept blame if he didn't point it out when I picked up the car.

I guess I'll check out replacement seats, but thinking maybe it's something to do down the road as I'm bound to get some wear over the years.

All ideas are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Sorry man. Mistakes happen but that’s unacceptable. Be careful about filing an insurance claim of giving anyone your vin. It might become a flag on the car. Carfax loves to add dings for no reason what so ever
mfarrzhp1491.00
Rumbloki176.00
      04-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Fuji550i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 m3, E60 550i

Ouch. That hurts. Sorry to see that. Now I'm going out to inspect my car
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
jessief29812
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

I would reach out and just ask him if he damaged your backseat and share the story with him. I wouldn't mention the PPF guy and if he admits fault, kudos to him and ask if he's willing/knows someone who can fix it.

If he denies, just move on. But don't think it hurts to ask. There are still good people with a moral compass in this world so he might help with trying to get it repaired/pay for it.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

Don't attempt a DIY. Call a leather guy first and have him take a look. Black is more forgiving than other leather colors. Leather Medic is one I see around a bit.
Appreciate 2
mfarrzhp1491.00
e92ben1053.00
      04-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
RV1M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M M2CS

Quote:

I recommend going to the nearest shoe and leather repair shop and ask what they recommend to correct the area. They usually have the experience to repair or diminish the scratch. An auto upholstery shop would be my second recommendation.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #12
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably have a leather shop take a look. I'm still a little wary of anyone touching it any further.

Here's a wider shot, and the location of the scratch is not the worst place to have one. Still bums me out.

Name:  01617848673.jpeg
Views: 764
Size:  635.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Ouch. That doesn't look very good.

I would try what you do with shoes, horse hair brush and brush it a bunch, then some leather conditioner, brush, and then some dark polish, brush then buff. It won't clean that deep of a scratch completely, but should improve it.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Almost looks like an eyelet hook on a boot because of the two tracks. Definitely be gentle with the approach.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #15
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

https://www.fibrenew.com/national-accounts/

They did great work when my mother in law scratched the leather on my x5 with her purse hook. It was textured Dakota I believe AND perforated. Couldn't tell anything was ever done. They even put a matte finish on it to match.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
mfarrzhp1491.00
TechE9219.50
Poochie9104.50
      04-08-2021, 05:08 AM   #16
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

^^^ I agree, I have been using a Fibernew guy, on 5 different vehicles so far with good results.

That scuff would bother me.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Looks as if someone dragged a metal toolbox or a sturdy cardboard box with sharp edges, that was sitting/positioned on the backseat, out of the car. Double attempt as it kept sticking on the red-stitched 'ridge'.

Question: why would any such object be there located in the first place. Did you transport something on the backseats ? Did some passenger wear jeans with metal rivets on the back pockets (getting in or out via the driver's door) ? Big dog ?

Or someone entered via the driver's door, going on his/her knees inside the backside with boots featuring those sharp metal parts for guiding the laces, scratching the backseats in the process (reaching for something located on the passenger side of the back side or cleaning the glass rear window).

Did the dealership allow people to enter the car to have a look at the all-new M2 CS (mechanics or visitors) ? If that would be the cause: I always instruct dealerships that, once my new car arrives at the dealership, the car must remain locked at all times.
      04-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #18
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
I found these after a quick search, hope it helps

https://leatherhero.com.au/fix-a-rip...crack-or-hole/

04-08-2021, 06:10 AM   #19
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Looks as if someone dragged a metal toolbox or a sturdy cardboard box with sharp edges, that was sitting/positioned on the backseat, out of the car. Double attempt as it kept sticking on the red-stitched 'ridge'.

Question: why would any such object be there located in the first place. Did you transport something on the backseats ? Did some passenger wear jeans with metal rivets on the back pockets (getting in or out via the driver's door) ? Big dog ?

Or someone entered via the driver's door, going on his/her knees inside the backside with boots featuring those sharp metal parts for guiding the laces, scratching the backseats in the process (reaching for something located on the passenger side of the back side or cleaning the glass rear window).

Did the dealership allow people to enter the car to have a look at the all-new M2 CS (mechanics or visitors) ? If that would be the cause: I always instruct dealerships that, once my new car arrives at the dealership, the car must remain locked at all times.
I agree, it does look something with a sharp edge was dragged in or out.

I haven't had any unusual cargo in the car, at least I'm pretty sure I haven't. Just grocery bags on the front passenger floor or trunk. Nobody has sat in my backseat yet. I only have about 325 miles on the car.

I arrived at the dealership the same day the car did and it still had the protective film on it sitting in the back service bay.

The only times it was out of my hands was at the Dealer new, tint shop, and PPF shop. The tint guy is the only one who had to get in the back, but it was a nice shop and I'd be surprised if it happened there and they didn't admit it.

I'm not going to accuse the guy a month later, and I'm surprised it took me this long to see it even though I haven't been driving it more than 3X per week.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #20
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
https://www.fibrenew.com/national-accounts/

They did great work when my mother in law scratched the leather on my x5 with her purse hook. It was textured Dakota I believe AND perforated. Couldn't tell anything was ever done. They even put a matte finish on it to match.
Thanks for the information and the picture. My scratches seem to be deeper, but hopefully they can achieve the same results.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I agree, it does look something with a sharp edge was dragged in or out.
I haven't had any unusual cargo in the car, at least I'm pretty sure I haven't. Just grocery bags on the front passenger floor or trunk. Nobody has sat in my backseat yet. I only have about 325 miles on the car.
I arrived at the dealership the same day the car did and it still had the protective film on it sitting in the back service bay.
The only times it was out of my hands was at the Dealer new, tint shop, and PPF shop. The tint guy is the only one who had to get in the back, but it was a nice shop and I'd be surprised if it happened there and they didn't admit it.
I'm not going to accuse the guy a month later, and I'm surprised it took me this long to see it even though I haven't been driving it more than 3X per week.
Don't accuse. Just ask the dealer and tint shop how they think this could have happened, considering that you never used the backseats.

Below: metal parts of a boot that I meant. Imagine one of your knees pinching the passenger side of the backseats, facing the headrest of the passenger backseats (in other words, your body is diagonally inside the back of the car, after entering via the driver's door), your boot pointing downwards: risk of the metal parts scuffing the leather of the middle part of the backseats.

And when you meet the tint guy, maybe first check what shoes he (and possible colleagues) wears in the work place. Ask whether they wear boots during tint operations.

Name:  Boot.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  220.6 KB
Poochie9104.50
      04-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #22
M2forme
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Competition

These are the kinds of things that keep us car guys up at night. Sorry to see this...this would put me in the nut house for sure. Considering the low mileage and limited accessibility, it may be worth a call or trip to the tint shop but honestly, I think too much time has elapsed and the only resolution would be a high end upholsterer or a new seat.
Appreciate 4
mfarrzhp1491.00
f80_MG562.50
Poochie9104.50