04-21-2021, 10:13 PM   #45
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Most people reading this will probably get upset-

But don't go and throw Jenkee springs on your $90,000 car expect the vehicle to perform the way that it was developed to. If you can afford $90,000 for a vehicle you should be able to afford a proper spring adjustment height kit.

I'm telling you you're going to ruin your adaptive dampers using springs that were not developed for this car. The only kit that I would trust is the MPERFORMANCE HAS Kit. If you look up the part numbers the M2CS has the identical adaptive dampers from the M3/M4/M4CS.

This is why I would never buy a used M car because you never know the Jenkee things that have been done to them!
I would like to offer a counter point to this perspective. I think the only true, proper way to improve the suspension is to get proper coilovers. That is the route I will be going.

In my opinion a HAS kit is no better than a lowering spring, and in fact opens up the potential to be worse. The HAS allows you to lower the car even further than a typical lowering spring. Thereby further reducing suspension travel and often taking it to the point of riding on the bump stops. The only real advantages to a HAS kit is that it allows you to dial in your desired ride height and corner balance. However, they add complications. Going too low is a problem and they reduce inner wheel clearance. I would seek a lowering spring that is in the height range that I like, a spring rate that is decently matched to the shocks and isn't so low that it rides on bump stops. I have repeatedly seen people slamming their car with HAS kits causing more damage to the dampers than any lowering spring.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:22 AM   #46
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I would like to offer a counter point to this perspective. I think the only true, proper way to improve the suspension is to get proper coilovers. That is the route I will be going.

In my opinion a HAS kit is no better than a lowering spring, and in fact opens up the potential to be worse. The HAS allows you to lower the car even further than a typical lowering spring. Thereby further reducing suspension travel and often taking it to the point of riding on the bump stops. The only real advantages to a HAS kit is that it allows you to dial in your desired ride height and corner balance. However, they add complications. Going too low is a problem and they reduce inner wheel clearance. I would seek a lowering spring that is in the height range that I like, a spring rate that is decently matched to the shocks and isn't so low that it rides on bump stops. I have repeatedly seen people slamming their car with HAS kits causing more damage to the dampers than any lowering spring.
What springs are you planning on going with?
      04-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #47
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:

MP HAS or KW HAS? The MP kit is different from the KW kit in spring rates and a limited collar that prevents lowering too much.
      04-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #48
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Quote:

What springs are you planning on going with?
I'm not doing springs on this car.

I will be testing a few different coilovers kits:
Ohlins R&T standard
Ohlins R&T with custom springs

Moton 2-way
Ohlins TTX 2-way

That being said I have had great results with HR springs on my daily drivers. Currently have them on my X3M and previously used them on my F31 330i with good results on both.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #49
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:

MP HAS or KW HAS? The MP kit is different from the KW kit in spring rates and a limited collar that prevents lowering too much.
My option applies to either one. However I agree that the BMW version is the better of the two.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #50
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Just one I personally don't want to risk. But if you can drive at a higher percentage without incident or don't care if you do, lowering does make for an impressive stance.
Yes. "Stance" over handling. I'll never get it. Maybe because I am over 30 and actually like taking corners.
Yeah I'm in this camp. The reason the car is sought after is because of the handling, and then lowering negates that at some level. So I don't really get the appeal of it.
Appreciate 1
Davil6511.00
      04-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #51
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Just one I personally don't want to risk. But if you can drive at a higher percentage without incident or don't care if you do, lowering does make for an impressive stance.
Yes. "Stance" over handling. I'll never get it. Maybe because I am over 30 and actually like taking corners.
Yeah I'm in this camp. The reason the car is sought after is because of the handling, and then lowering negates that at some level. So I don't really get the appeal of it.
There is a ton of room for improvement with the car's handling. Stock suspension is nice but pedestrian standards, required snow chain clearance, and generally conservative OE setup is designed to please the masses. Additionally if you have any desire to track the car, the shortcomings will be amplified. OE camber will kill the outer edge of the front tires in one or two fast 20 minute track sessions. If you are part of the masses that desires a conservative setup then consider yourself fortunate. Taking the car to the next level is not cheap. I agree that 1/2 a$$, compromised, "stance" driven alterations make no sense given that this car is very nicely setup out of the box.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4031.00
JoeMatt160.00
      04-22-2021, 05:17 PM   #52
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Man, you guys think the handling of the CS is perfect??? Have you driven other cars? I'm not saying it's bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. It's always going to be a battle between those who swear that BMW OEM Is perfect versus those who like to do some modifications. Both are okay. Some people are afraid to mod. Some people can't afford to mod especially if they think the warranty is void. I get it. However, saying that you ruin handling by lowering a car is a vague generalized statement with no substance. I personally think my lowered M Perf HAS with proper alignment corners better than the original setup. Each to his own. I don't put down those who keep it stock.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Wah2778.50
      04-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #53
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
Man, you guys think the handling of the CS is perfect??? Have you driven other cars? I'm not saying it's bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. It's always going to be a battle between those who swear that BMW OEM Is perfect versus those who like to do some modifications. Both are okay. Some people are afraid to mod. Some people can't afford to mod especially if they think the warranty is void. I get it. However, saying that you ruin handling by lowering a car is a vague generalized statement with no substance. I personally think my lowered M Perf HAS with proper alignment corners better than the original setup. Each to his own. I don't put down those who keep it stock.
I never said the handling was perfect, and i never said lowering ruins the handling. I'm merely saying, the defining characteristic compared to the M2C is how the M2 CS handles combined with the ride quality from the adaptive dampers. I do believe lowering could negate the ride quality to handling balance of the car.

I personally have no desire to find out if it does or doesn't, and will be leaving my car stock. Not tracking my car either, its meant as a backroads car.
Appreciate 3
kyrocks1070.50
Davil6511.00
chris7197334.00
      04-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #54
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

What are ya'll thoughts on doing just something modest like 10mm-15m using something like this...

MSS F87 M2 Height Adjustable Spring Kit

https://ind-distribution.com/product...ble-spring-kit

Thoughts on the MSS stuff?
      04-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #55
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
What are ya'll thoughts on doing just something modest like 10mm-15m using something like this...

MSS F87 M2 Height Adjustable Spring Kit

https://ind-distribution.com/product...ble-spring-kit

Thoughts on the MSS stuff?
Based on the replies I've had so far, in summary, I think the H&R springs are the way to go, not the adjustable (M perf.) type, 2cm drop is modest at best but will improve the looks and POSSIBLY the handling or at least not significantly change those dynamics. The coilover solution is fine if you're tracking and $$$ is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #56
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Apparently there is a different part number for M2 CS H&R springs now?
Attached Images

04-29-2021, 07:20 PM   #57
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Looks like H&R 28802-1 is for M3, M4. and M2 Adaptive Suspension and 28802-5 is for M2, M2C standard...

But oddly 28802-1 is listed as a Super Sport Spring for the M3 and M4
Lowering Specs:
Front - 1.6"
Rear - 1.0"

but Sport Spring for M2 CS

F87 M2 Competition Lowering Specs:
Front - 1.0"
Rear - 0.8"

https://www.hrsprings.com/applicatio...e/4/Suspension
      04-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #58
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like H&R 28802-1 is for M3, M4. and M2 Adaptive Suspension and 28802-5 is for M2, M2C standard...

Lowering Specs:
Front - 1.6"
Rear - 1.0"

Front - 1.0"
Rear - 0.8"

Interesting. I put the 28802-5 springs on my M2CS and they work just fine with the adaptive suspension. The quoted ride height change seems accurate on my car.

It makes it look just right, any lower and I'd surely be scraping out of my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #59
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:

Lowering Specs:
Front - 1.6"
Rear - 1.0"

Front - 1.0"
Rear - 0.8"

But the lowering spec on the M2 CS is
identical to the M2 C
Front - 1.0"
Rear - 0.8"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #60
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

According to this thread. the M2 CS spring part numbers are exactly the same as the M2C.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...90&postcount=1

The coil spring part # for the the M2 CS,
Spring Front: 31337853271, shared with M2/M2 LCI/M2 Competition
Spring Rear: 33537853275, shared with M2/M2 LCI/M2 Competition

And of course EDC are carried over from the F80/82/83, albiet having a different tuning,
Spring strut, EDC, front left : 31318008627
Spring strut, EDC, front right : 31318008628
Shock absorber for EDC, rear left: 33528008629
Shock absorber for EDC, rear right: 33528008630
      06-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #61
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I find it interesting some feel the M2 is really high stock..looks great to me maybe 1-2cm less.

See VW for stock ride heights and really you will see the SUV effect!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:03 PM   #62
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
I find it interesting some feel the M2 is really high stock..looks great to me maybe 1-2cm less.

See VW for stock ride heights and really you will see the SUV effect!
Ha. Yeah, looking just for 10mm / 1cm.
      06-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #63
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Is anyone that's lowering their stance using a "diff lift" kit. I was watching a video by Misha charoudin. They modified their OG M2. They should this kit and the logic made sense to me. It seems to correct the geometry from lowering. They also slid mounted the diff etc. I wonder if the CSR has this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834869

Last edited by medphysdave; 06-20-2021 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
2taCoS279.00
      07-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #64
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
It might corner better on a good road, but you are making some trade-offs for that. Obviously, it's fine, but on a car this expensive I would just do it the right way with coilovers where you know what you're getting.

The engineers didn't deliver the car like that from the factory for a reason. I don't think BMW is always perfect, but I do think without knowledge of the reasons that went into their decisions it is sometimes difficult to say what is a good idea and what is not. In this case, it's fairly standard to assume the overall impact is slightly negative and could wear the dampers faster. Lowering springs always take the system out of the range it was designed for. Not a big deal, but I'm sure it's worse than stock over really bad surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #65
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Is anyone that's lowering their stance using a "diff lift" kit. I was watching a video by Misha charoudin. They modified their OG M2. They should this kit and the logic made sense to me. It seems to correct the geometry from lowering. They also slid mounted the diff etc. I wonder if the CSR has this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834869
Lowering the car 3/4" won't need this part. Lowering it to CSR specs likely would need to have something changed.

I'm just guessing but the kinematics on BMW Motorsport cars are totally different and wouldn't need an after market diff lift kit.
      07-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #66
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Lowering the car 3/4" won't need this part. Lowering it to CSR specs likely would need to have something changed.

I'm just guessing but the geometry on BMW Motorsport cars are totally different and wouldn't need an after market diff lift kit.

What's the diff lift kit look like?
Hard to explain what it looks like. There is an active thread in the suspension setting showing more detailed pics. Someone bought it and had it installed. Looks like a high cost install since the diff has to be dropped.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50