BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > PSA: Put wipers down when lifting hood.

03-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
I had my windshield replaced in December and Allstates' recommended shop in the area is Safelite. I could have found a different place
but a local assured me that Safelite did a great job with several of their vehicles.

And... they did a great job with my M2C as well. I had the work completed at the Safelite facility as I figured there was a better chance
of getting good work vs a mobile unit. I insisted they use BMW factory glass and it was not an issue.

Did allstate cover factory glass? I called safelite today and they are confirming with allstate on whether it's covered or not.
If you make a claim and ask them outright to pay for a BMW OEM windshield because you're the man and can dictate how they settle their claims, they will laugh at you and tell you to go kick rocks.

An insurance company will only pay for cheapest glass replacement currently available for your vehicle. Especially Allstate, with the vast nationwide network of aftermarket repair shops they are contracted with.

Some of you guys that claim that they demanded! an OEM glass and the insurance company just caved, in fear of your mighty words, just makes me smirk in amusement, bless your simple hearts..

If you want an insurance company to pay for an OEM glass without any BS; make an appointment with a franchise BMW dealer, take your car in and make a claim immediately afterwards, letting them know the car is at a dealership.

Once the car is at a BMW dealership, they are then obligated to pay for an OEM windshield, since the dealer's liability policy doesn't cover aftermarket replacement parts.

However, an OEM windshield cost me $380 plus tax and I paid out of pocket to replace it.

There is no way I'm dinging my insurance claim record for a glass claim, when I could absorb the cost myself.

I'm saving my auto insurance coverage for when I run over a school kid or something major, not a simple glass claim. But to each is own..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #24
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

love your outlook Poochie lol the theoretical bus stop full of orphaned children is what I usually cite
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #25
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I had my windshield replaced in December and Allstates' recommended shop in the area is Safelite. I could have found a different place
but a local assured me that Safelite did a great job with several of their vehicles.

And... they did a great job with my M2C as well. I had the work completed at the Safelite facility as I figured there was a better chance
of getting good work vs a mobile unit. I insisted they use BMW factory glass and it was not an issue.

Did allstate cover factory glass? I called safelite today and they are confirming with allstate on whether it's covered or not.
If you make a claim and ask them outright to pay for a BMW OEM windshield because you're the man and can dictate how they settle their claims, they will laugh at you and tell you to go kick rocks.

An insurance company will only pay for cheapest glass replacement currently available for your vehicle. Especially Allstate, with the vast nationwide network of aftermarket repair shops they are contracted with.

Some of you guys that claim that they demanded! an OEM glass and the insurance company just caved, in fear of your mighty words, just makes me smirk in amusement, bless your simple hearts..

If you want an insurance company to pay for an OEM glass without any BS; make an appointment with a franchise BMW dealer, take your car in and make a claim immediately afterwards, letting them know the car is at a dealership.

Once the car is at a BMW dealership, they are then obligated to pay for an OEM windshield, since the dealer's liability policy doesn't cover aftermarket replacement parts.

However, an OEM windshield cost me $380 plus tax and I paid out of pocket to replace it.

There is no way I'm dinging my insurance claim record for a glass claim, when I could absorb the cost myself.

I'm saving my auto insurance coverage for when I run over a school kid or something major, not a simple glass claim. But to each is own..
It may be state dependent, but comprehensive claims shouldn't go against your insurance record.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #26
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It may be state dependent, but comprehensive claims shouldn't go against your insurance record.
All glass claims, nationwide, are recorded as a "Comprehensive" incident, in something called a CLUE database, as in: Comprehensive Loss & Underwriting Exchange, for up to 7 years.

Glass claims are weighed as a Comprehensive loss, regardless of how a future insurance companies wants to interpret it, for underwriting purposes.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeo...e/clue-report/
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #27
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Ever since I moved to Florida a about 13 years back, I’ve used Allstate for my auto insurance. I’ve replaced 4 windshields in that time 2 on my old CLK 430 and 2x on my E46 M3. I’ve always told them I expected factory glass. 2x I got that right out of the gate and 2x they tried OEM. On those latter 2 times I noted that there’s factory glass on the car and thats what I expected. They then ordered and installed factory glass.

When I get a new car, my agency asks to bring the car by and they document a few things and I always make sure they take a pic showing the car has factory glass.

So with Allstate, in Florida, I’m 4 for 4 getting factory glass. Take that for what it’s worth, but that’s what happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #28
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
I paid the $100 deductible. The Safelite invoice lists $480 in parts and $397 in labor along with $48 tax. I also told Safelite before we started
that I would pay the difference if Allstate would not cover factory glass but it did not come to that.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #29
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Your photo shows a wiper blade attached to the arm still. Which became detached? The arm (w/o the wiper blade) came down on the windshield and created that? I can't imagine the wiper blade will do a damage like that for just coming back down.

ouch.

Quote:
Made an idiot mistake today. Was cleaning the M2 and had my wipers out to clean the glass. Then I decided to spray my engine bay and forgot to fold down the blades.

The passenger side became detached from the arm, and slammed down onto my windshield.

See photo for results.

Have safelite coming out Tuesday to replace, hopefully they don't do a piss poor job. I've used them in the past with "lesser" cars and didn't have any problem.

Sucks, but lesson learned!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:24 AM   #30
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Must confess each time I get a car it takes me a little while to remember how to putt the wipers into maintenance mode, no idea on the current FType either! Haha.
What's the point of this maintenance mode anyways, we should be able to change the blades w/ the arms still in that down-at-the-bottom position. Right?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:26 AM   #31
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Must confess each time I get a car it takes me a little while to remember how to putt the wipers into maintenance mode, no idea on the current FType either! Haha.
What's the point of this maintenance mode anyways, we should be able to change the blades w/ the arms still in that down-at-the-bottom position. Right?
The wipers are hidden lower down in modern cars, for aero reasons I assume. You actually can't pull them all the way away from the windscreen at their bottom rest position. They hit the top edge of the bonnet.

Thus maintenance settling/ mode puts them vertical and you can 'get to them'.
      03-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #32
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, MY20 M2C ED Sept

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I did the same thing, windshield wipers up and raised the hood. I also have PPF full hood covering. The windshield wipers scraped away a portion of the PPF and I had to redo the hood along with the ceramic coating. That won't happen again.
      03-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #33
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Your photo shows a wiper blade attached to the arm still. Which became detached? The arm (w/o the wiper blade) came down on the windshield and created that? I can't imagine the wiper blade will do a damage like that for just coming back down.

ouch.

Quote:
Made an idiot mistake today. Was cleaning the M2 and had my wipers out to clean the glass. Then I decided to spray my engine bay and forgot to fold down the blades.

The passenger side became detached from the arm, and slammed down onto my windshield.

See photo for results.

Have safelite coming out Tuesday to replace, hopefully they don't do a piss poor job. I've used them in the past with "lesser" cars and didn't have any problem.

Sucks, but lesson learned!
I put the wiper blade back on before taking the pic.

It came off when it fell.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #34
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

2018 M2 LCI. The wiper can fold up fine without going thru some maintenance mode. I can change the blades.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #35
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
All glass claims, nationwide, are recorded as a "Comprehensive" incident, in something called a CLUE database, as in: Comprehensive Loss & Underwriting Exchange, for up to 7 years.

Glass claims are weighed as a Comprehensive loss, regardless of how a future insurance companies wants to interpret it, for underwriting purposes.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeo...e/clue-report/
Great info! I always knew there was some sort of info sharing service that insurance companies use but I did not know exactly what it was. I also did not realize consumers can access the reports.

And thanks for sharing that link. I'm in a similar situation where my wife's 4Runner got a chip in the windshield and created a crack a few miles later. I've been meaning to call my agent to see if I'm covered for genuine Toyota glass but I think I'll pass to be sure they don't submit one of these reports even if I don't submit the claim.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #36
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Update here.

Allstate denied my claim for either OEM or factory glass. They said I had to pay the difference, which is total bullshit. I pay my insurance on time, every time, and haven't had a claim in as long as I can remember. Not to mention I have several cars and homeowners policies with them. I was pretty irate about the situation.

After going through a half dozen people at Allstate, and Safelite, I finally reached someone who would file an appeal for the denial. I composed a pretty well thought-out email for them to include in the appeal.

After doing that, I contacted my Allstate agent. He's an older gentleman whose very "excitable" and told me that its total BS that Allstate wouldn't cover it, and he's going to get the the bottom of it "if its the last thing he does".

A few hours later, I got a call from Glass America, a Safelite competitor. My insurance broker apparently knows someone there, and they reached out, telling me they can get the approval for OEM glass. I decided to give it a go, and had the claim transferred over to them.

The following morning, they called me and told me the claim was APPROVED and they would be ordering my replacement glass that came in this morning.

The Glass America installer will be here tomorrow to do the installation. I'll update here once its complete and I have a chance to inspect things.

Its been a long road, but I'm glad I stuck to my guns on this one.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #37
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Update here.

Allstate denied my claim for either OEM or factory glass. They said I had to pay the difference, which is total bullshit. I pay my insurance on time, every time, and haven't had a claim in as long as I can remember. Not to mention I have several cars and homeowners policies with them. I was pretty irate about the situation.

After going through a half dozen people at Allstate, and Safelite, I finally reached someone who would file an appeal for the denial. I composed a pretty well thought-out email for them to include in the appeal.

After doing that, I contacted my Allstate agent. He's an older gentleman whose very "excitable" and told me that its total BS that Allstate wouldn't cover it, and he's going to get the the bottom of it "if its the last thing he does".

A few hours later, I got a call from Glass America, a Safelite competitor. My insurance broker apparently knows someone there, and they reached out, telling me they can get the approval for OEM glass. I decided to give it a go, and had the claim transferred over to them.

The following morning, they called me and told me the claim was APPROVED and they would be ordering my replacement glass that came in this morning.

The Glass America installer will be here tomorrow to do the installation. I'll update here once its complete and I have a chance to inspect things.

Ask your agent to find you a new insurance company

Great news thanks for sharing

Screw Allstate
      04-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #38
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

Screw Allstate
It crossed my mind, but we just paid up our next 6 months premiums. So we'll likely reevaluate after that.

Insurance is literally insane in Michigan. 6 month premium on my M2 is $800 and thats with 4 cars and home owners on it. I was paying a couple hundred less than that in Georgia with JUST 1 car on the policy.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #39
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Update here.

Glad you got this sorted out.
I got my bmw glass too.

For anyone that has to jump through hoops to get OEM glass, try this:

Find a reputable shop

Let them know you'll only give them business if they can get approval for bmw glass

Suggest that they tell insurance that they don't have any non OEM replacement glass.

Enjoy your new bmw glass
      04-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #40
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I learned this same lesson with my 428i. Safe lite did a stellar job.
      04-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #41
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update here.

Screw Allstate
It doesn't matter which major insurance company you are dealing with, all the adjusters are out to save their company a buck and will lowball you every single chance they get, with the empathy of a robot.

Those bunch of papers with the terms and conditions they sent you at the beginning of your policy period, of which you ignored and immediately discarded, gives them the right to flood your car with aftermarket parts, if they are readily available.

Some of the field adjusters I've dealt with are really shady also, they lie and cheat you, strait to your face with no shame in their game, just to lessen the payout. I've met more reputable folks buys drugs.

Best way to handle them is taking your car to shop than can fight or bribe the adjuster to write an estimate for OEM parts. The adjuster can do it but it would cut into his bonus but if the shop rubs him the right way, he'll give in.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #42
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Update here.

Screw Allstate
It doesn't matter which major insurance company you are dealing with, all the adjusters are out to save their company a buck and will lowball you every single chance they get, with the empathy of a robot.

Those bunch of papers with the terms and conditions they sent you at the beginning of your policy period, of which you ignored and immediately discarded, gives them the right to flood your car with aftermarket parts, if they are readily available.

Some of the field adjusters I've dealt with are really shady also, they lie and cheat you, strait to your face with no shame in their game, just to lessen the payout. I've met more reputable folks buys drugs.

Best way to handle them is taking your car to shop than can fight or bribe the adjuster to write an estimate for OEM parts. The adjuster can do it but it would cut into his bonus but if the shop rubs him the right way, he'll give in.
I myself would have filed it as a comp claim and been done with it

I'm just not a fan of Allstate
      04-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #43
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:

Screw Allstate
It crossed my mind, but we just paid up our next 6 months premiums. So we'll likely reevaluate after that.

Insurance is literally insane in Michigan. 6 month premium on my M2 is $800 and thats with 4 cars and home owners on it. I was paying a couple hundred less than that in Georgia with JUST 1 car on the policy.
I shop whenever I have an opportunity

If you get better rates you cancel the other company simply has to refund your remaining policy accordingly
      04-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #44
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Last update.

Glass America came out this morning to replace my windshield. The installer has been doing glass for about 15 years and told me explicitly that they wouldnt just send anyone out to work on my car. They recognized it was just not another Honda, and sent one of their best techs out.

That being said, he did a fantastic job. They brought factory glass, as far as I could tell, and the installation was clean, and quick. Took about an hour start to finish. We drove around the block a couple times to recalibrate the sensors. They seem to use some kind of remote calibration service that does it for them. They basically hooked a box up to the OBD port and had a remote tech put the car in diagnostic mode, and do the calibration while I drive.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the service provided, and I will certainly be telling folks to checkout Glass America if its an option in your area.
Appreciate 1