BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

03-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #89
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Ok so there will indeed be a new M2 coming?
Does that apply in Europe too? In that case what i read about ceasing production was wrong...
They're going to be made in Mexico. I assume they would ship them from there to Europe and everywhere else. Maybe the engine is made in Germany and just shipped over to Mexico? What do they do for the X5 or whatever they make in the US?

Anyway it's rwd, zf8 or MT, probably s58. I would expect more options this time around.

Will the f87 m2C be the favorite m2? Will people want the last bmw ever made with MT, or the previous one with analog gauges made in Germany? Will the character of the s55 outshine the more powerful s58? Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:29 AM   #90
chefczyk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa 4C, Z3MC, S3 Fulvia

Buy the one you want - not the one forums / magazines is better.

I have an S52 M Coupe - first question anyone asks me is the engine type (s52/s54) - honestly do not care. Sure the S54 is more rare, powerful, blah blah blah. but nothing can replace how I feel in my S52 coupe and the connection we have. So if you decide N55, I'm sure you'll feel the same way over time - don't worry about it.

That said - I went S55 this time because I liked the look of the seats / mirrors that much more. Just can't get into the look of the seats in the N55 version.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #91
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefczyk View Post
Buy the one you want - not the one forums / magazines is better.

I have an S52 M Coupe - first question anyone asks me is the engine type (s52/s54) - honestly do not care. Sure the S54 is more rare, powerful, blah blah blah. but nothing can replace how I feel in my S52 coupe and the connection we have. So if you decide N55, I'm sure you'll feel the same way over time - don't worry about it.

That said - I went S55 this time because I liked the look of the seats / mirrors that much more. Just can't get into the look of the seats in the N55 version.
Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a diffrence between preference and being better.

Someone might prefer an Iphone 8 due to the physical button, but the Iphone 12 is better overall due to the faster processor, screen and other upgrades.

Same goes for a 240i - someone may prefer it over an M2 CS. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but you can't opinionize facts as far as which one is an evolution.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #92
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Very true guys. It will eventually clear up after test driving, although facts and recommendations are always good to ask for.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #93
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Sorry, but you are comparing apples to oranges. Again, the MSRP between an M2 and M2C was only $4,400, not $7,000 like you described.

Additionally, there are still 2018 models out there with a warranty, but they are not much different despite being LCI.

To a BMW enthusiast, the M2C is worth the upcharge. Especially now that they have entered the final production year and they are harder to come by, even used. I had to buy mine in the color combo I wanted 4 states over. I could have picked up an OG M2 10 miles away.

That alone tells you that to real enthusiast, getting the right car is worth paying more and traveling for - which is refelected in the value. To a regular Joe and 99% of the population - they won't know the difference between an M2 and M2C. The OG M2 was a mass produced car with a tuned 2 series engine and many argue that it may not even deserve an M-badge. I think it does, but it has that perception by many which it will never get rid of and automatically it will get de-valued by others. Now that the 2 series is FWD and cars are getting bigger and bigger, the market for S55 M2s will only increase.

Again, this is not to knock the OG M2 as it's still a great car and not too much different from the M2C. But anyone who is a real enthusiast and has a chance to pick the M2C over the M2 without sacrificing anything should do so just because of the reasons above.
Again, apples and oranges. You’re comparing the newest OG M2 LCI to the oldest Comp. The OG at release was $7k less than the Comp at release.

If you’d like to use the 2018, let’s do it. Ones with under 15k miles are $46-48k and originally sold for $54,500 MSRP. They’re 3-4 years old now, so let’s call it 3.5. That leaves you a depreciation of $7,500 total and $2,100 a year.

An average 2019 Comp is 2.5 years old and had an MSRP of $60k. It sells for about $55k now... which is $5k total/$2k per year average. Given that they’re still all in warranty, the $100 less deprecation per year is not surprising.

I’m sure the Comp will be more valuable one day, but really only because it was more expensive to start with and rarer as a result. Very few people are keeping this car 20 years though, so the long term value is not nearly as important as the short term, and they are nearly identical in that sense. If the original poster had said they’re looking for a car to keep in their garage for two decades, the comp would be the easy choice... but he didn’t. Neither car is going to hold its value all that well north of 50k miles. Neither the OG or Comp are special or rare in that sense.

Last edited by Dasnub; 03-24-2021 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
Fabb227.50
      03-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #94
StevenX94
Private
Rep

The only M2 which I think will hold its value very high after many years is the last version of the M2 which will be produced in the future.

That is why I asked if the S55 will be the last version which will be produced for Europe before stopping priduction due to climate regulation B*ll*hit.
As long as newer M2s are being produced, none of the available versions counts as a rare car thus they depreciate as any other Bmw.
So as the post above this says, niether the OG, Comp or even CS are special as long as newer M2s will be produced.
I may be totally wrong but thats what i think...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #95
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
The only M2 which I think will hold its value very high after many years is the last version of the M2 which will be produced in the future.

That is why I asked if the S55 will be the last version which will be produced for Europe before stopping priduction due to climate regulation B*ll*hit.
As long as newer M2s are being produced, none of the available versions counts as a rare car thus they depreciate as any other Bmw.
So as the post above this says, niether the OG, Comp or even CS are special as long as newer M2s will be produced.
I may be totally wrong but thats what i think...
Crystal ball 🤔

The current M2 is actually large enough

And may of us think the current car is the holy grail
      03-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #96
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It depends what people are looking for. The new M4 is larger than the last gen M6 used to be. Surely the M2 will also increase in size. To me this one is just perfect in size with its short wheelbase. I'm sure many people have specific preferances and won't consider a bigger car, which is why they picked the F87 over an F82.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #97
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I don't know...I could see all F87s retaining their value relatively well long term since they were the first generation M2.

And heralded as one of BMWs best ever made cars.

There are less M2s than M3s, and it seems all generations of M3s find a depreciation bottom, then start to appreciate a bit. I don't know why first gen F87 wouldn't behave the same way.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #98
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So apparently this is what we are looking at for the next M2...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #99
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
From the side it looks like an Audi S5.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #100
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Haha Oh I hope NOT.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #101
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
      03-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #102
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I for one can’t wait for the 2027 M0 that is the same size as the E46 M3...
Appreciate 1
admranger2981.50
      03-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #103
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
I for one can’t wait for the 2027 M0 that is the same size as the E46 M3...
The way things are going, this comment will age well and not be thought of as a joke when someone searches this topic 10 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:20 AM   #104
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, but you are comparing apples to oranges. Again, the MSRP between an M2 and M2C was only $4,400, not $7,000 like you described.

Additionally, there are still 2018 models out there with a warranty, but they are not much different despite being LCI.

To a BMW enthusiast, the M2C is worth the upcharge. Especially now that they have entered the final production year and they are harder to come by, even used. I had to buy mine in the color combo I wanted 4 states over. I could have picked up an OG M2 10 miles away.

That alone tells you that to real enthusiast, getting the right car is worth paying more and traveling for - which is refelected in the value. To a regular Joe and 99% of the population - they won't know the difference between an M2 and M2C. The OG M2 was a mass produced car with a tuned 2 series engine and many argue that it may not even deserve an M-badge. I think it does, but it has that perception by many which it will never get rid of and automatically it will get de-valued by others. Now that the 2 series is FWD and cars are getting bigger and bigger, the market for S55 M2s will only increase.

Again, this is not to knock the OG M2 as it's still a great car and not too much different from the M2C. But anyone who is a real enthusiast and has a chance to pick the M2C over the M2 without sacrificing anything should do so just because of the reasons above.
Again, apples and oranges. You’re comparing the newest OG M2 LCI to the oldest Comp. The OG at release was $7k less than the Comp at release.

If you’d like to use the 2018, let’s do it. Ones with under 15k miles are $46-48k and originally sold for $54,500 MSRP. They’re 3-4 years old now, so let’s call it 3.5. That leaves you a depreciation of $7,500 total and $2,100 a year.

An average 2019 Comp is 2.5 years old and had an MSRP of $60k. It sells for about $55k now... which is $5k total/$2k per year average. Given that they’re still all in warranty, the $100 less deprecation per year is not surprising.

I’m sure the Comp will be more valuable one day, but really only because it was more expensive to start with and rarer as a result. Very few people are keeping this car 20 years though, so the long term value is not nearly as important as the short term, and they are nearly identical in that sense. If the original poster had said they’re looking for a car to keep in their garage for two decades, the comp would be the easy choice... but he didn’t. Neither car is going to hold its value all that well north of 50k miles. Neither the OG or Comp are special or rare in that sense.
I doubt the cost adds to the rarity of the m2c. They didn't sell the base and the m2c at the same time.

I'm not sure if they will have made more n55 m2 or s55 m2c when this is all over. I think they were going to make more m2c cars but then COVID happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #105
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I've driven all 3 variants. Owned 2. Each one is better than the next by a good margin. They are all pretty great though. You can't really go wrong. Choose your weapon, enjoy it and as long as you don't drive the next upgrade you will be perfectly happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:57 PM   #106
mfritz
Rep

Have a 2016 m2 manual 29700 miles. Great car. I can’t decide wether to just keep it , tune it, replace it with an m2c, or wait for the next m2. Cost is not the major factor. I am looking for a fun car. I don’t drive that many miles but enjoy driving. Honestly the hassle of the sale / purchase is a major barrier. My main concern about the next m2 is an increase in weight. The m2c seems like it takes it up a notch without much extra weight, but I really enjoy the sound of my current car which I hear is not as good on the m2c.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #107
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfritz View Post
Have a 2016 m2 manual 29700 miles. Great car. I can’t decide wether to just keep it , tune it, replace it with an m2c, or wait for the next m2. Cost is not the major factor. I am looking for a fun car. I don’t drive that many miles but enjoy driving. Honestly the hassle of the sale / purchase is a major barrier. My main concern about the next m2 is an increase in weight. The m2c seems like it takes it up a notch without much extra weight, but I really enjoy the sound of my current car which I hear is not as good on the m2c.
Been struggling with the same thing lately, but the market for used cars is just too stupidly high to justify an upgrade right now in my opinion. For a couple grand it’s just so easy to keep whats great about the N55 and obtain whats great about the S55 with some bolt ons and a tune. The tunability of the M2C isn’t relevant to me at the moment as I’ve never been interested in voiding warranties. In another year a 2019 M2C will make more sense once prices normalize and tuning them becomes an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #108
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Been struggling with the same thing lately, but the market for used cars is just too stupidly high to justify an upgrade right now in my opinion. For a couple grand it’s just so easy to keep whats great about the N55 and obtain whats great about the S55 with some bolt ons and a tune. The tunability of the M2C isn’t relevant to me at the moment as I’ve never been interested in voiding warranties. In another year a 2019 M2C will make more sense once prices normalize and tuning them becomes an option.
I was in the same position last year, but the prices almost stayed the same. I finally pulled the trigger on an M2C as I was just waiting for prices to come down, which only marginally happened.

Curious, what do you mean by "normalize"? 2021 M2 allocations are almost non-existant anymore. If we were to go by F87 timelines, we won't get a new (G87?) M2 for years to come, so there may be even less options which will drive demand up.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #109
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was in the same position last year, but the prices almost stayed the same. I finally pulled the trigger on an M2C as I was just waiting for prices to come down, which only marginally happened.

Curious, what do you mean by "normalize"? 2021 M2 allocations are almost non-existant anymore. If we were to go by F87 timelines, we won't get a new (G87?) M2 for years to come, so there may be even less options which will drive demand up.
I’m referring to what COVID has done to used prices this year. My M2 has actually appreciated a few thousand dollars, which is unheard of.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:36 AM   #110
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
I’m referring to what COVID has done to used prices this year. My M2 has actually appreciated a few thousand dollars, which is unheard of.
I am not sure the prices will come back down. The price of everything (houses, cars, boats, etc.) went up, which in reality means the dollar just fell in value. Inflation isn't always linear - sometimes it happens in a big surge all at once.
Appreciate 0