BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

03-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #67
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
My M2 has held its value better than any car I’ve ever owned. In almost two years and 21k miles- even with COVID- it’s lost at worst $2-3k. I don’t think people care as much about an M engine as you think- they just care about having an M badge.
From someone who has been in the market and just last week put a deposit down on an M2C, I respectfully disagree. This may not matter to regular Joes who are not BMW fanatics, but these are the type of details that I and many others look for before paying top dollar for a car.

Picking between a used (2019/2020) M2C and a new one is like splitting hairs. The prices are only $2K apart between new and used - which essentially just shows how much resale value was lost.

The regular M2 on the other hand I was able to find in the mid 30s with less than 15k miles. That's a SUBSTANTIAL difference in resale value.

If you go on autotrader, try finding an M2C under $50k nationally. Not only are there less than 40 for sale total, but they all hold their value much better and none are below $50k with a clean title.

Then try the same with the OG M2. Of course there is a difference in the M2C being 1-2 years newer, but that doesn't justify a $15k resale value loss compared to the M2C.

It would have been much easier for me to get a mint M2, save 30% and call it a day. 5-10 years from now the discussion will be "Do you have an N55 or do you have an S55" when trying to sell one.

I don't know how long you've been a BMW fanatic, but this reminds me of the S52 vs S54 MCoupe discussion from 20 years ago. Even though the S52 sounded better, the S54 retained the value much better. Plus, nothing an M-Performance exhaust can't fix

Last edited by AmooManiak; 03-22-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #68
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
From someone who has been in the market and just last week put a deposit down on an M2C, I respectfully disagree. This may not matter to regular Joes who are not BMW fanatics, but these are the type of details that I and many others look for before paying top dollar for a car.

Picking between a used (2019/2020) M2C and a new one is like splitting hairs. The prices are only $2K apart between new and used - which essentially just shows how much resale value was lost.

The regular M2 on the other hand I was able to find in the mid 30s with less than 15k miles. That's a SUBSTANTIAL difference in resale value.

If you go on autotrader, try finding an M2C under $50k nationally. Not only are there less than 40 for sale total, but they all hold their value much better and none are below $50k with a clean title.

Then try the same with the OG M2. Of course there is a difference in the M2C being 1-2 years newer, but that doesn't justify a $15k resale value loss compared to the M2C.

It would have been much easier for me to get a mint M2, save 30% and call it a day. 5-10 years from now the discussion will be "Do you have an N55 or do you have an S55" when trying to sell one.

I don't know how long you've been a BMW fanatic, but this reminds me of the S52 vs S54 MCoupe discussion from 20 years ago. Even though the S52 sounded better, the S54 retained the value much better. Plus, nothing an M-Performance exhaust can't fix
You’re comparing apples and oranges. Almost all OG M2s regardless of mileage are out of warranty, which plays a major factor in their valuation. The M2C hasn’t hit they particular cliff yet.

MSRP on a new M2 was $53k in the states. It’s $60k for a new M2C. Most used M2Cs under 15k miles are selling for about $55k, with 2017 OG M2s with similar mileage around $42k. So you’ve got one car in warranty with $5k of depreciation in 2 years, and another out of warranty with $11k after 4. It’s really not that different.

In the long run neither car is going to hold its value all that well. They were produced in large numbers, many are modified, etc. I end up with new cars every 2-3 years myself, so the long term desirability isn’t a factor for me personally.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
ReRe397.50
      03-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #69
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
You’re comparing apples and oranges. Almost all OG M2s regardless of mileage are out of warranty, which plays a major factor in their valuation. The M2C hasn’t hit they particular cliff yet.

MSRP on a new M2 was $53k in the states. It’s $60k for a new M2C. Most used M2Cs under 15k miles are selling for about $55k, with 2017 OG M2s with similar mileage around $42k. So you’ve got one car in warranty with $5k of depreciation in 2 years, and another out of warranty with $11k after 4. It’s really not that different.

In the long run neither car is going to hold its value all that well. They were produced in large numbers, many are modified, etc. I end up with new cars every 2-3 years myself, so the long term desirability isn’t a factor for me personally.
Sorry, but you are comparing apples to oranges. Again, the MSRP between an M2 and M2C was only $4,400, not $7,000 like you described.

Additionally, there are still 2018 models out there with a warranty, but they are not much different despite being LCI.

To a BMW enthusiast, the M2C is worth the upcharge. Especially now that they have entered the final production year and they are harder to come by, even used. I had to buy mine in the color combo I wanted 4 states over. I could have picked up an OG M2 10 miles away.

That alone tells you that to real enthusiast, getting the right car is worth paying more and traveling for - which is refelected in the value. To a regular Joe and 99% of the population - they won't know the difference between an M2 and M2C. The OG M2 was a mass produced car with a tuned 2 series engine and many argue that it may not even deserve an M-badge. I think it does, but it has that perception by many which it will never get rid of and automatically it will get de-valued by others. Now that the 2 series is FWD and cars are getting bigger and bigger, the market for S55 M2s will only increase.

Again, this is not to knock the OG M2 as it's still a great car and not too much different from the M2C. But anyone who is a real enthusiast and has a chance to pick the M2C over the M2 without sacrificing anything should do so just because of the reasons above.

Last edited by AmooManiak; 03-22-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #70
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Plus, nothing an M-Performance exhaust can't fix
I hear this alot from ppl before the change and then nothing afterwards.

Come back and let us know if it made a difference or not, i wont hold my breath
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #71
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:

We will check up on you 2-3 years from now and see what your brand new m2c is worth. You simply cant predict how much depreciation will hit these cars. Theres too many factors to consider. For example in my area, i bought my 2017 OG for 44k canadian 2 years ago.Dealers are selling 2016-2017 OGs in my area for 48-49k. 2018s are going for over 50k. Noone predicted that dealers are still selling these cars at that price when all depreciation calculations were 10-15% loss every year. No offense but Youre probably just trying to justify why you spent what you spent on a brand new bmw thinking you could predict the future value of it. You have to remmeber that the new m2 is looming with the superior s58. Then it will be the s55 vs s58 debate next and youre gonna find yourself in the position of n55 owners.

My advice to the OP, dont listen to all this dick waving about n55 vs s55. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #72
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
OP is talking about doing long drives of 5+ hours but all the focus is on perceived suspension differences between the OG M2 and the M2C. I think that's barking up the wrong tree. What's more important for long drives is the difference in seats, and this is purely subjective - there is no absolute right answer, only the right answer for your specific body shape.

Before buying our M2, we drove multiple M3/M4 (I believe the M2C seats are close to those in shape, hence the comparison) in situations where the dealer basically throws you the keys and says "see you later". So we got to spend 30-45 minutes in the M3/M4 seats multiple times across multiple visits. We found them really nice looking, but uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes. This was a big deal for us, as we found the OG M2 seats dramatically more comfortable. Since we often visit clients 2-3 hours away, this was an important factor. I'm 5'9" and about 165lbs, my wife 4'10" about 105lbs, and 3 hours in the OG M2 seats is like 3 minutes, zero back pain, leg pain, or fatigue. Like they were tailor made for us.

I'd done a ton of reading here across the M2 and M3/M4 forums, and I noticed a pattern with comments about seat comfort: the M3/M4 seats (and likely by inference the M2C seats) were widely praised by taller/larger drivers, while comments in favor of the OG M2 / 2-Series seats, and complaints against the M3/M4 seats, were often made by drivers under 5'10". Again, I emphasize this is purely anecdotal so don't take this as fact, just a definite pattern I noticed.

Nobody can tell you which feels better - you'll need to figure this out on your own. Maybe consider using Turo to rent an M2C/M3/M4 and then do the same with an OG M2, if possible. At the very least, go find these sitting at dealers and just sit for a while. My guess is your body will tell you very quickly which one it wants to be in for 5 hours. Extra horsepower is always nice and lighted seat emblems are cool, but they won't compensate for seats you dread sitting in for long drives. Likewise, saving $10K on an OG would be great but not if it turns out your specific physique matches the M2C seat design better. Forget how the two designs look - they feel completely different and you need to figure out which is right for you.

(for those who would point out that seats can be swapped/changed, I get that but this post assumes the OP isn't interested in dealing with all that).
This is good advice, though the OP is from Sweden, where the M2 Competition can be optioned with the original OG M2 seats.

But seats and seat comfort in general are an important, often overlooked factor.

That said, anecdotally, as a shortish guy (5'8") I've taken my comp on multi-day road trips without problems. Everyone's body is different though.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #73
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
We will check up on you 2-3 years from now and see what your brand new m2c is worth. You simply cant predict how much depreciation will hit these cars. Theres too many factors to consider. For example in my area, i bought my 2017 OG for 44k canadian 2 years ago.Dealers are selling 2016-2017 OGs in my area for 48-49k. 2018s are going for over 50k. Noone predicted that dealers are still selling these cars at that price when all depreciation calculations were 10-15% loss every year. No offense but Youre probably just trying to justify why you spent what you spent on a brand new bmw thinking you could predict the future value of it. You have to remmeber that the new m2 is looming with the superior s58. Then it will be the s55 vs s58 debate next and youre gonna find yourself in the position of n55 owners.

My advice to the OP, dont listen to all this dick waving about n55 vs s55. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it!
Again, you should stick to facts. Not sure how you came up to the conclusion that I bought the car new. I actually bought a CPO for less than new with a longer warranty.

If you think your N55 appreciated $4k in 2 years, you need to revisit your numbers.

It sounds like you are new to BMW. If you weren't you would know that the whole platform has switched to front wheel drive. It is very doubtful that BMW would ever put an S58 into a 2 series - but I didn't expect you to know that based on your response.

Lastly, the best way to look at this is - point me to the members who have "upgraded" from an M2C to an M2 vs M2 to M2C. I think that alone clarifies everything. I test drove both and M2C is clearly the better car which is why people are buying it despite the M2 being 30% less expensive. If you were to go to the M2C forums and try to convince people to get the M2, people would probably think it's a joke...

There may be slight differences where some smaller things may be preferrable to some on the OG M2 (which is subjective), but M2C is a clear evolution of the OG M2, no two ways about it. Any other way you put it and you only sound like you are getting buyers remorse.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #74
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Again, you should stick to facts. Not sure how you came up to the conclusion that I bought the car new. I actually bought a CPO for less than new with a longer warranty.

If you think your N55 appreciated $4k in 2 years, you need to revisit your numbers.

It sounds like you are new to BMW. If you weren't you would know that the whole platform has switched to front wheel drive. It is very doubtful that BMW would ever put an S58 into a 2 series - but I didn't expect you to know that based on your response.

Lastly, the best way to look at this is - point me to the members who have "upgraded" from an M2C to an M2 vs M2 to M2C. I think that alone clarifies everything. I test drove both and M2C is clearly the better car which is why people are buying it despite the M2 being 30% less expensive. If you were to go to the M2C forums and try to convince people to get the M2, people would probably think it's a joke...

There may be slight differences where some smaller things may be preferrable to some on the OG M2 (which is subjective), but M2C is a clear evolution of the OG M2, no two ways about it. Any other way you put it and you only sound like you are getting buyers remorse.

I never said i thought my m2 appreciated in value. Im just stating facts as they are on how much i bought the car and how much ive seen them selling for around here, and i definitely have no buyers remorse. I can afford to buy the new m2c anytime i want lol. And im not trying to convince people to switch from m2c to an m2, where did you get that idea?

I sound new to bmw? Lol you sound like youre out of the loop. Most reports point to the new m2 receiving the s58. Noone ever thought the m2c would receive the s55 either so your argument is certainly baseless. And other than the x1 and 2 series gran coupe, which other current bmw are fwd based again? Unless you talking bout mini coopers coz technically they bmw too lol

Get off your high horse bud...
Appreciate 1
ReRe397.50
      03-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #75
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I'll tell you the ones regardless of OG or Comp that haven't been tuned or modified in any way will be much more valuable than those that have.
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      03-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #76
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Dinan stage 4 og m2 ftw!

Makes same power and torque as a stock m2cs in a controlled and conservative fashion
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16074.00
      03-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #77
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
This is good advice, though the OP is from Sweden, where the M2 Competition can be optioned with the original OG M2 seats.

But seats and seat comfort in general are an important, often overlooked factor.

That said, anecdotally, as a shortish guy (5'8") I've taken my comp on multi-day road trips without problems. Everyone's body is different though.
Damn I missed that detail about OP location, my bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:21 PM   #78
celcoder
Rep
Drives: bmw

I was in a similar situation about a month ago choosing between OG M2 vs M2 COMP. I probably test drove both cars about 5 times before I decided to choose one over the other.

This is very subjective and I think previous replies pretty much covered most of the stuff you need to know about the pros and cons of both cars.

1. What is your budget?
I personally set a budget of around 50k. While it wasn't a hard budget, my preference was to save money if I can.
2. Is this your only car?
After driving both m2's, my takeaway was m2 comp's suspension setup was noticeably more forgiving on a rough road. While og m2 seat felt a bit more comfortable.
3. Steering wheel feel.
OG m2 steering wheel felt rougher when compared to m2 comp. Even on a sports + on m2 comp the feel of the steering wheel wasn't as rough as the og m2
4. Way it drives
You honestly can't go wrong with both cars. OG M2 felt rawer and visceral, while m2 comp felt like grown-up version of the og m2. M2 comp definitely felt more planted and compliant. It felt more like the modern BMW M car.
5. Interior
I think the m2 comp seats look great. Frankly, these seats should've been on the original m2.
6. Engine & sound
n55 vs s55 there are whole threads and videos about this. S55 more hp, more tunable etc, n55 compared to s55 weaker engine, but it sounds great.
7. Exterior
Pretty much similar, the grille is probably the biggest change from the LCI model.
8. Overall
While I drove m2 and m2 comp it didn't feel like the same car. And it really isn't. M2 comp to me was a superior car, but I ended up getting the M2 LCI because it was the right car for me. That engine and exhaust note and the raw feeling while driving the og m2 felt just right. My advice to you is to drive both cars and see which one puts more smile on your face.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #79
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Wow you guys lighting up this thread! I very much appreciate all your effort.

Celcoder: the way you describe your test drives of both cars is almost exactly what i am picturing in my mind after everyone's advice, and if this is truely the way each car is, i find the M2 Comp better suited for my likings.
It will be my only car yes, and as much as I want an M car i also put big importance to comfort and just daily drives to work, grocery and just sometimes a relaxed drive. Thus if one one of them offers a more relaxed ride (when you want it to be) than the other, this might just be the winning point.

As some of you may read I live in Sweden. It is HARD to easily find a near dealer with M2s to test drive. I am trying to test drive them as back to back as possible and working on booking a date with a dealer.

As for the discussion of some of you here about the resale value and all the pricing related stuff for the future of both cars, it is interesting to read and made me think of something i heard, which is that M2 will no longer be produced in Europe, Is this true? If it is, is the S55 the final engine we will get here? (Not sure what the M2CS engine is)....

Because if the S55 is the final engine we get here, it would hold its value good yes?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #80
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Wow you guys lighting up this thread! I very much appreciate all your effort.

Celcoder: the way you describe your test drives of both cars is almost exactly what i am picturing in my mind after everyone's advice, and if this is truely the way each car is, i find the M2 Comp better suited for my likings.
It will be my only car yes, and as much as I want an M car i also put big importance to comfort and just daily drives to work, grocery and just sometimes a relaxed drive. Thus if one one of them offers a more relaxed ride (when you want it to be) than the other, this might just be the winning point.

As some of you may read I live in Sweden. It is HARD to easily find a near dealer with M2s to test drive. I am trying to test drive them as back to back as possible and working on booking a date with a dealer.

As for the discussion of some of you here about the resale value and all the pricing related stuff for the future of both cars, it is interesting to read and made me think of something i heard, which is that M2 will no longer be produced in Europe, Is this true? If it is, is the S55 the final engine we will get here? (Not sure what the M2CS engine is)....

Because if the S55 is the final engine we get here, it would hold its value good yes?
That was exactly my point. BMW may decide to produce an "M2" on the new platform, but it will be nothing like the current M2s (OG M2 or M2 Comp) The new M2 is based on a front wheel drive platform and even if they somehow made it rear wheel drive, the dynamics of the car won't ever touch what was truly designed to be a rear wheel drive car from the get go.

As these become rarer and rarer and BMW continued preference to technology over driving dynamics, some of the key differentiators for enthusiasts will be N55 vs S55 when it comes time to sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #81
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
That was exactly my point. BMW may decide to produce an "M2" on the new platform, but it will be nothing like the current M2s (OG M2 or M2 Comp) The new M2 is based on a front wheel drive platform and even if they somehow made it rear wheel drive, the dynamics of the car won't ever touch what was truly designed to be a rear wheel drive car from the get go.

As these become rarer and rarer and BMW continued preference to technology over driving dynamics, some of the key differentiators for enthusiasts will be N55 vs S55 when it comes time to sell.
BMW has confirmed that the next generation of 2-series Coupe will keep its rear-drive platform. It's also likely to get the S58 engine in the M2 from the get go, though that hasn't been 100 percent confirmed to my knowledge.

My point mainly being that the FWD based 2-series gran coupe/1-series will be basically unrelated to the next M2. Totally different platforms.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #82
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
The new M2 is based on a front wheel drive platform and even if they somehow made it rear wheel drive, the dynamics of the car won't ever touch what was truly designed to be a rear wheel drive car from the get go.
cptobvious2531.50
ReRe397.50
      03-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #83
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Both BMWs have the exact same suspension. I don't buy that the M2C has a smoother ride.
And yet every review says the M2C is better. So either the weight, the brace or something we don't know - but the ride is certainly different in the M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
The only car that actually rides smoother is the M2CS

Thats because it has adaptive

Not talking just smoother - but more "compliant" - how it handles and recovers from upsets/bumps.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #84
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
BMW has confirmed that the next generation of 2-series Coupe will keep its rear-drive platform. It's also likely to get the S58 engine in the M2 from the get go, though that hasn't been 100 percent confirmed to my knowledge.

My point mainly being that the FWD based 2-series gran coupe/1-series will be basically unrelated to the next M2. Totally different platforms.
I stand corrected.

I still think that if the new M2 goes into a similar digital direction as modern BMWs, it won't appeal to many car enthusiasts looking for a fun drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #85
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Ok so there will indeed be a new M2 coming?
Does that apply in Europe too? In that case what i read about ceasing production was wrong...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #86
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Ok so there will indeed be a new M2 coming?
Does that apply in Europe too? In that case what i read about ceasing production was wrong...
It's true about the F87. Limited spots left to get the 21s.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #87
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Op you have brought up comfort alot, why not try out the f80 m3?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:10 PM   #88
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Op you have brought up comfort alot, why not try out the f80 m3?
I saw some M3s while searching but at the price range i am getting a bit older car in this case. An M2 will be newer.
I actually wanted a brand new M car some years before but too expensive for me to order brand new.
Appreciate 0