BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Dealer claims MPE will invalidate my warranty?

03-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
M2Minerals
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Dealer claims MPE will invalidate my warranty?

Hi. I am new to the forum but had BMW’s for years including two E46’s and an E92. I appreciate any help on this weird one as I am 2 weeks away from fitting the MPE !!
I went to buy an exhaust clamp from my local dealer to fit the MPE to my LCI N55 M2. The dealer told me the MPE was not showing as an option for my car and hence it would not work but would also invalidate my warranty.

As far as I know buying a (second hand ) MPE meant it would not invalidate any warranty as it is a BMW part? My car is a September 2017. Has anyone else heard this before ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Find another dealer. Yours is full of shit.

First off, fitting an exhaust isn't going to "void your warranty" unless they can prove the exhaust was the cause of any kind of warranty claim.

Second, the MPE is a port install option on the M2. My M2 is fitted with the MPE, and my dealership even replaced the muffler under warranty due to a rattling issue.
Appreciate 1
BrettKA7566.50
      03-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Find another dealer. Yours is full of shit.

First off, fitting an exhaust isn't going to "void your warranty" unless they can prove the exhaust was the cause of any kind of warranty claim.

Second, the MPE is a port install option on the M2. My M2 is fitted with the MPE, and my dealership even replaced the muffler under warranty due to a rattling issue.
Probably not a good idea to suppose US standards apply worldwide. No dealer in the EU will sanction illegal modifications, so the dealer that is not "full of shit" does not exist in the UK.

To the OP, your car is probably included in the time batch where it was no longer legal to change exhausts and that why computer says no. It's not to say the exhaust won't fit, just was never sanctioned by BMW.

Warranty wise is a tricky one. They are BMW parts, and I doubt any dealership will be sharp on the dates where you could or couldn't have one fitted, if there was a problem. Probably safe to say the actual exhaust won't be covered under warranty. It is easy enough to swap back to the standard back section if needed. Less easy is the electronic module that integrates the MPE.

Another less costly option is to have the back box opened up and the perforated pipe changed for solid. Pretty much turns the stock box into something MPE like.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Probably not a good idea to suppose US standards apply worldwide. No dealer in the EU will sanction illegal modifications, so the dealer that is not "full of shit" does not exist in the UK.

To the OP, your car is probably included in the time batch where it was no longer legal to change exhausts and that why computer says no. It's not to say the exhaust won't fit, just was never sanctioned by BMW.

Warranty wise is a tricky one. They are BMW parts, and I doubt any dealership will be sharp on the dates where you could or couldn't have one fitted, if there was a problem. Probably safe to say the actual exhaust won't be covered under warranty. It is easy enough to swap back to the standard back section if needed. Less easy is the electronic module that integrates the MPE.

Another less costly option is to have the back box opened up and the perforated pipe changed for solid. Pretty much turns the stock box into something MPE like.
Ah, you're right. I was on mobile and didn't realize that A) the OP was in the UK, and B) this is in the UK forum section.

My bad, ignore me
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2021, 03:16 AM   #5
M2Minerals
Rep

Quote:

This is the conversation that I am having with BMW as I cant see how the exhaust, (which produces no extra power) should impact the rest of the car warranty. It would be interesting to find out what the cut off date is as I don't think my car was within the timeframe.

Hopefully BMW UK will come back with a sensible solution.
Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Minerals View Post
This is the conversation that I am having with BMW as I cant see how the exhaust, (which produces no extra power) should impact the rest of the car warranty. It would be interesting to find out what the cut off date is as I don't think my car was within the timeframe.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm in the UK and your dealer is talking shit. Some parts counter numpty by the sound of it.

You can't "void" the whole car warranty by fitting an exhaust or any other part for that matter. Any failures proven to be linked to an authorised part may not be covered, but nothing else.

Note the word "proven", they have to prove it, the onus is on them not you.

Real oem which mirrors the BMW ETK parts system (see link below) lists the MPE exhaust for June 2017 UK M2 with no restrictions.

It also says June 17 is the last month of M2 production, what is your production date? Maybe it was registered late? Production date is under bonnet.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_4010

Last edited by doughboy; 03-08-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
I'm in the UK and your dealer is talking shit. Some parts counter numpty by the sound of it.

You can't "void" the whole car warranty by fitting an exhaust or any other part for that matter. Any failures proven to be linked to an authorised part may not be covered, but nothing else.

Real oem which mirrors the BMW ETK parts system (see link below) lists the MPE exhaust for June 2017 UK M2 with no restrictions.

It also says June 17 is the last month of M2 production, what is your production date? Maybe it was registered late? Production date is under bonnet.

You might think that, but I can assure you the proof becomes your burden. Organisations have much experience about this
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #8
M2Minerals
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

My car is a September 2017 build according to real OEM but can't find anything online to suggest June 2017 was a date when any law or legislation or even M2 spec changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

My car is a September 2017 build according to real OEM but can't find anything online to suggest June 2017 was a date when any law or legislation or even M2 spec changed.
Did you talk to another dealer? Try one that sold lots of MPE like Cotswold BMW. They might know more than the oil filter pusher at the local dealership.

But in any case, I understand you only needed the sleeve from them?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Real oem only lists M2s up to June 17. None after that. If it lists the MPE against your VIN then you're definitely good to go.

What's the build date on the sticker under the bonnet? That's the accurate one!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You might think that, but I can assure you the proof becomes your burden. Organisations have much experience about this
Yes it does because they provide their own "proof" and think that's final. But if you keep pressing then you stand a better chance.
Appreciate 0