BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M Performance Exhaust on M2 CS - It's possible

01-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #45
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

The titanium also creates a more tinny sound, which is already bad enough from this motor. Likewise with the Akra. Cat back exhaust cost for zero HP gain is also totally ridiculous. Better off getting a Dinan or other for about $2k if you want more sound. Also, the MPE hangs just as much as the stock exhaust although slightly smaller.
Appreciate 2
GimmeanM1448.50
      01-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #46
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
The titanium also creates a more tinny sound, which is already bad enough from this motor. Likewise with the Akra. Cat back exhaust cost for zero HP gain is also totally ridiculous. Better off getting a Dinan or other for about $2k if you want more sound. Also, the MPE hangs just as much as the stock exhaust although slightly smaller.
I may get Dinan or just AA mid pipe for my CS. I like the MPE on my M2C but want something different for the CS. I actually like the CS OEM sound...just wish it was louder.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #47
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

If your M2 CS has not hit the port yet you can add MPE for $6,310 installed at the VPC by adding 0ZA4 M Performance Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #48
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
If your M2 CS has not hit the port yet you can add MPE for $6,310 installed at the VPC by adding 0ZA4 M Performance Exhaust.
Ooof. It's great to roll into the financing for someone like me so it makes this attractive Vs aftermarket

Other people paying cash probably wouldn't care
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #49
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionM3 View Post
I may be wrong, but isnt the MPE notorious for cracking?

Why spend this much for that system when Akra is about the same and doesn't break?

Please pardon the ignorance if I'm incorrect here
V2's don't have the cracking issue as others said. More than that, exhaust sound is very subjective, I don't like the sound of the Akra so despite it being all titanium and probably lighter than the MPE, it's not something I would buy.
Others love the Akra and would not buy the MPE even if it was half the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just beware of 'yellowing'/'bronzing' of titanium tips. I recall that some referred to that phenomenon with the 1M Akrapovič titanium tips (see for example here and here).

New:

Used:
Thanks Artemis , interesting point. I like the discoloration in the muffler, but hadn't thought about the tips. Have ceramic coated them to prevent some level of soot deposition, but doubt it would prevent that discoloration.
Do you know if this is covered under warranty or just considered 'normal use'?
Just adding my two cents. I had one of the original F80 MPE's and it did crack. Sounded great however and the carbon tips in addition to looking good also made any issue with natural appearance discolouration negligible.

If it does become an option for Aust install, I may consider the MPE exhaust. Will wait and see what others think. Also looking forward to hearing some of the other exhausts when installed. The m sport exhaust in the CS itself is also growing on me.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #50
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Just adding my two cents. I had one of the original F80 MPE's and it did crack. Sounded great however and the carbon tips in addition to looking good also made any issue with natural appearance discolouration negligible.

If it doesn't become an option for Aust install, I may consider the MPE exhaust. Will wait and see what others think. Also looking forward to hearing some of the other exhausts when installed. The m sport exhaust in the CS itself is also growing on me.
I'd be really interested to see a dyno and sound test of CSs between stock, MPE, and Akrapovic. Not too many cars around, but over time, hopefully we can make that happen.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #51
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
Thanks Artemis , interesting point. I like the discoloration in the muffler, but hadn't thought about the tips. Have ceramic coated them to prevent some level of soot deposition, but doubt it would prevent that discoloration.
Do you know if this is covered under warranty or just considered 'normal use'?
My guess: normal use.

That's why I opted for the Akrapovič CF tips on my 1M and for the BMW MPE CF tips on my OG M2: zero issues.
Jimjamz4565.00
      01-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #52
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:

If it doesn't become an option for Aust install, I may consider the MPE exhaust. Will wait and see what others think. Also looking forward to hearing some of the other exhausts when installed. The m sport exhaust in the CS itself is also growing on me.
I'd be really interested to see a dyno and sound test of CSs between stock, MPE, and Akrapovic. Not too many cars around, but over time, hopefully we can make that happen.
No one should expect that a CB exhaust will add power. It will improve performance slightly from the weight savings, but that's it. The real motivation is the sound improvement.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #53
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to hear the sound inside the cars as well. For me they all sound good from the outside.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #54
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
What are everyone's general thoughts on Akrapovic vs MPE from a sound perspective?? As a side note, Its tough to say how much better the MPE looks than the stock exhaust. 100x better? 1milx better?

Last edited by ScullyD; 01-24-2021 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #55
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
What are everyone's general thoughts on Akrapovic vs MPE from a sound perspective?? As a side note, Its tough to say how much better the MPE looks than the stock exhaust. 100x better? 1milx better?
I don't like the sound of the Akra and would not buy one. I think the MPE is one of the better sounding systems. The ones that sound best to my ear seem to be less popular. I think my favorite so far has been the AA EL midpipe with a stock M3CS rear section. I think it was running stock downpipes too. It's on YouTube.

The MPE hangs down like the stock exhaust. It's saving grace is that it's smooth, polished, and says m performance where you can see it. Its better than stock, but wonder why they didn't tuck it up higher. I don't mind it and think it looks good. Almost every other solution looks better though.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #56
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
I don't like the sound of the Akra and would not buy one. I think the MPE is one of the better sounding systems. The ones that sound best to my ear seem to be less popular. I think my favorite so far has been the AA EL midpipe with a stock M3CS rear section. I think it was running stock downpipes too. It's on YouTube.

The MPE hangs down like the stock exhaust. It's saving grace is that it's smooth, polished, and says m performance where you can see it. Its better than stock, but wonder why they didn't tuck it up higher. I don't mind it and think it looks good. Almost every other solution looks better though.
So improving sound and eliminating stock diaper look are only benefits of MPE or any exhaust here?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #57
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Yes. There could be some high rpm gains over the stock system, but I've read the stock exhaust flows pretty well. I think max hp/tq numbers won't budge, but 4500 to redline could see benefit. Then most exhausts see similar gains so sound and weight reduction are biggest benefit if there is little power gain.

I think AA claimed 18hp gain. I'd be surprised if that was max hp. I'd like to see the dyno from stock to aftermarket. I'm sure there is a 5-10hp error bar to consider.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #58
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
This is probably not a 100% accurate for CS sound, but thought may be adding this exhaust mega compilation from the M2 comp here:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1585328

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1742843

Lol, yes, the removal of the udder alone gives me a sigh of relief.

Quote:
I'd love to hear the sound inside the cars as well. For me they all sound good from the outside.
Easily 3-5x louder than stock exhaust on the inside. Audible with music volume at 30% of maximum. There's a few clips from the M3 on youtube, like this one. (start at 4:16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
No one should expect that a CB exhaust will add power. It will improve performance slightly from the weight savings, but that's it. The real motivation is the sound improvement.
True, and a decent weight saving, over 26 pounds, and if I remember correctly more than the complete Ti Akra solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #59
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

I think I'm with you in the minority camp who much prefer the MPE sound over the Akra.

There is some space behind the diff, but looking at it, I think the piping would have to kink upwards right before the muffler to tuck it underneath, so I'm assuming that was the restriction.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #60
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
So improving sound and eliminating stock diaper look are only benefits of MPE or any exhaust here?
For me personally, yeah. I want to like the stock diaper and say, in the long run, it will add character to the car and be a defining trait. But i think it actually looks horrible, and hangs on a slight tilt on my car (and some of the pics i see).

Akrapovic hangs less than MPE, but still hangs a tad bit. MPE looks cool with the M-Performance logo. I think MPE sounds a bit better than Akrapovic, at least based on the clips i can find. Plus you get the warranty. If you do the full evo with the link-pipe from Akrapovic, presumably BMW could void your warranty for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #61
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For me personally, yeah. I want to like the stock diaper and say, in the long run, it will add character to the car and be a defining trait. But i think it actually looks horrible, and hangs on a slight tilt on my car (and some of the pics i see).

Akrapovic hangs less than MPE, but still hangs a tad bit. MPE looks cool with the M-Performance logo. I think MPE sounds a bit better than Akrapovic, at least based on the clips i can find. Plus you get the warranty. If you do the full evo with the link-pipe from Akrapovic, presumably BMW could void your warranty for it.
Quote:
And you chop off 26.2 lbs of weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #62
Apppo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

I'm sure MPE if sold in California is CARB legal. Akra should also be right given its CAT back?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #63
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Hol' up, so the MPE titanium muffler and tips at $6,300 will not stay polished and shiny but will instead blue/yellow/darken? Eh...

cb804 how has yours held up?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #64
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Quote:
Hol' up, so the MPE titanium muffler and tips at $6,300 will not stay polished and shiny but will instead blue/yellow/darken? Eh...

I think you’re talking about titanium Akrapovic tips. Those are the ones referred to earlier in this thread. No issues with the MPE.
Appreciate 2
MomoM3984.00
      01-24-2021, 11:28 PM   #65
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
Quote:

I think you’re talking about titanium Akrapovic tips. Those are the ones referred to earlier in this thread. No issues with the MPE.
How loud is the MPE? Any drone? Hard to tell via clips online.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #66
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
This might settle it that the MPE is the way i'd go.
Appreciate 0