BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS delivery - USA (BSM - 6MT - 2NH - GLD 763M - Cup2)

02-15-2021, 05:46 AM   #67
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
That's good to know. How about tire noise? If they're not too bad I may switch to them when it's time to replace the PSS (alternatively may go to PS4S if they're an option).
They are quite loud. The noise level on the highway surprised me.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #68
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

BMS clutch stop getting ready to go on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #69
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Added the stop with on disc removed. Agreed with other forum consensus that it gives about 1" before engagement. I'm going to drive it like this for a couple of weeks. I'm not convinced that I like it with this little slop. I think it makes it a little more difficult in stop and go traffic because any small release of the pedal engages the clutch. I could see this being a problem in some scenerios. I also think my wife will find it more difficult to learn when the time comes. Definitely easier to shift more quickly if desired. Less lurching when doing low rpm gear changes. This car is happiest when your winding it out and shifting.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #70
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Poster
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #71
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Poster
did you get in? i had to give up on mine and waiting for a new one to dremel it down
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #72
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv-cs View Post
did you get in? i had to give up on mine and waiting for a new one to dremel it down
I got it in. I pressed it in a bit, and then screwed it in most of the way. With about 20% left I pushed it through.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #73
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
I got it in. I pressed it in a bit, and then screwed it in most of the way. With about 20% left I pushed it through.
i got my new one from BMS today and that went right through - 2 discs only for me.. it feels amazing standing still, will need to drive it tomorrow!
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #74
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

SSK is in the mail so I'm going to give my pre installation opinion.

At this point I'm not sure how a new shifter is going to be worth the $750 or so it will cost to put into place. The stock shifter seems like it's gotten better as I've used it. I'm placing this here because I'm a skeptic. I'm going through with the swap out of curiosity as I have no burning unsatisfaction with the stock shifter. Im never thinking, "man, this is great, but if only the shifter were better.". It never crosses my mind. Ok, that's a little untrue as I do complain on how long and awkward the 5-6 shift is. I'll report back after install and driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #75
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
SSK is in the mail so I'm going to give my pre installation opinion.

At this point I'm not sure how a new shifter is going to be worth the $750 or so it will cost to put into place. The stock shifter seems like it's gotten better as I've used it. I'm placing this here because I'm a skeptic. I'm going through with the swap out of curiosity as I have no burning unsatisfaction with the stock shifter. Im never thinking, "man, this is great, but if only the shifter were better.". It never crosses my mind. Ok, that's a little untrue as I do complain on how long and awkward the 5-6 shift is. I'll report back after install and driving experience.
What do you mean $750 to put it into place? Are you referring to the total cost of the SSK and the installation? If so that sounds about right.

Oh you will see the difference. It's night and day and not in a boi racer type of shifting way. It's so engaging and confidant inspiring. You will feel like more of a man when shifting. I'm not joking. It will also help your sex life...ok now I'm joking.
      04-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #76
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
What do you mean $750 to put it into place? Are you referring to the total cost of the SSK and the installation? If so that sounds about right.

Oh you will see the difference. It's night and day and not in a boi racer type of shifting way. It's so engaging and confidant inspiring. You will feel like more of a man when shifting. I'm not joking. It will also help your sex life...ok now I'm joking.
Yes, I'm estimating 750 all in with shifter and installation. I wanted to set the perspective that I'm coming from when I give my review. I'm really curious about if I'll feel like this is must have upgrade,. Good if you've got the spare cash, or don't bother. I went with stock height, 25% reduction, and the 80a+ bushing. I can't recall if this is the newest bushing or not. The build quality has been attested to time and time again and no need to touch on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #77
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Great experience at Eurocars Southend in Charlotte. Alex was super personable. Clean shop. I always like when I see race cars where my car is being worked on. Work came in well under estimate. New shifter is installed, new slave without CDV, and SRF brake fluid in anticipation of a track day or two this year.

Shifter review: I'll post up on Sunday after I put on roughly 350 miles between now and then. I want to see if my first impressions change between now and then.
      04-25-2021, 09:42 PM   #78
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The CDV delete and AS SSK is in. After 350mi here are my thoughts.

I picked up my car after eagerly awaiting the bliss that would come from my new modifications. Before even leaving the parking lot I moved through the gears. WTF have I done to my car? It's ruined and I'm going to have to spend more money to put it back to stock. Not what I was expecting. Why didn't I listen to Ron and go with a 20% reduction instead of 25%.

I leave the parking lot. The shifts take a lot more effort. The stock shifter slides effortlessly through neutral in comparison as you move through the gate to the next gear. This shifter has definitive positions, and neutral is one of them. It requires purpose when shifting.

The toy-like sponge news is gone. The end of the shit is solid. The whole shifter is solid. My primary complaint about the stock shifter is gone. This shifter inspires confidence when holding onto it. Downshifting before a corner no longer feels like the mechanism is going to snap as you go through the corner.

The CDV delete was immediately apparent. Not so much in low speed drives, by hi speed quick shifts no longer came with a little lurch. I could modulate the clutch as I wanted. It felt linear. The clutch pedal seems slightly easier to depress. The lightness of the clutch no longer seemed to match the all business shifter. None of the low speed drivability was impacted by CDV delete.

When I got home I felt like this was a mixed bag. On one hand the one thing I wanted remedies was achieved. On the other hand the super chill shifter action was gone. My second major gripe was also fixed. The awkward length of the 5-6 shift no longer felt long and awkward.

I thought to myself if give it a few hundred miles to see if there was a break-in period.

The next morning I hopped in, put it in reverse and thought it felt a lot easier. So did the shifts in forward gears. Ok, I thought. Muscle memory at play here. I was so used to the stock shifter that I was retraining myself on the amount of force to use for shifts.

After a 150 trip where I made it a point to row through the gears frequently I believe things started to smooth out or break in. Starting to glide through neutral easier, or I'm adapting to the new style.

Tonight I did another 150 miles. Everything is second nature now. Shifts are easy. Really loving the solid feel of the shifter. CDV removal is a great mod. It was very easy to identify how is adapted to anticipating what the clutch was going to do. It's amazing how quickly we get used to things. The 25% reduction in throw seems to have put things where I like them. 20% would likely have made the transition easier. Vibration increased through the shifter, but nothing changed audibly. I like the feedback. If someone were sensitive to vibration then they shouldn't use these bushings.

I'm pleased. Is it worth 750 (clutch plus install). I'm going to say that if you have the $750 laying around, you won't be disappointed. If you don't, the you shouldn't rush out to change the factory box. If you are bothered by the feeling of flex in the stock shifter and the 5-6 shift length, then I think it's worth every penny. The shifter does seem to loosen a bit as it breaks in. If I did it again I'd probably go with the 22.5% right now, but that might be a mistake. It's already broken in a bit, and I suspect in a couple thousand miles it will be perfect.
Appreciate 2
f80_MG561.50
cptobvious2531.50