BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS delivery - USA (BSM - 6MT - 2NH - GLD 763M - Cup2)

12-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

M2 CS delivery - USA (BSM - 6MT - 2NH - GLD 763M - Cup2)

I took delivery today. I requested that it remain filthy and with the plastic wrap still on. My son had a lot of fun pulling the shipping wrap off and standing in the front seat driving. I drove it 4mi to Auto Obsessions in Matthews, NC and turned it over. I'll post up an official delivery review when I get it back, but here are some initial thoughts that may or may not change with more seat time.

These are the first impressions that I had while receiving the keys, walking around the car, pulling of the shipping plastic, and on the short drive to drop it off.

Where are the real keys? The toy keys they gave me feel fake. They lack the substance of my x5 keys.

The immense contrast between interior quality is hilarious. Seat leather is super nice. Janky lever for pulling the seat forward is not. Nice alcantara touches. Plastic dash looked nicer than I remember in m2C at performance center. Carbon center console sides are very thin and dare I say flimsy.

Shifter is fine. Not great but not bad. I think the knob is part of the problem. The movements are good. My last MT had a machined metal shift knob. It felt substantial in the hand. The clutch is numb. I couldn't feel the clutch engage. I liked the Rev match. Haven't driven a manual in 5yrs.

Steering wheel is great. Super comfy. I like the girth. No heated wheel won’t be an issue. This one doesn't seem to get cold.

No arm rest is not a problem. My arm still kinda rests comfortably. I was surprised that I didn’t even notice the lack of armrest.

Sooooooo glad I'm get rocker PPF. Those cup2s throw up everything. It's going to be a sand blaster behind the wheels.

It's fantastic the way the car feels like it wraps around you.

I was expecting a stiffer ride in comfort

Gold wheels look gold to me. I didn't see much of the silver hue.

I can't really comment on the drive. Car tracks nicely.

Super glad I made the purchase. The negatives are my own nitpicks as I think anyone should be picky about items in this price range. I was also surprised by how much colored flake is in BSM.

Another thing I liked was how the alcantara curves around the back side of the console. Looks sharp.

It's now prepped for ceramic coating.

Last edited by medphysdave; 12-27-2020 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 13
2taCoS279.00
CSBM52716.50
Hedoniste3820.50
Artemis29276.50
BMrDrmr314.50
GimmeanM1448.50
6speed_M23632.50
Darth One6612.50
F87EVO4031.00
bogeyman106.00
cptobvious2531.50
      12-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Talking

Picked up the car again

If I would describe how this car feels in one word. It would be "Purposeful". It feels special in the sense that it's built with purpose, and doesn't feel like day to day transportation. I can modulate shifts reasonably well in all modes, but they do lack clutch feel. The dampers are fantastic for day to day driving. I find comfort mode perfect for driving around town. It soaks up bumps as good as any car, and feels firmly planted at the same time. They've done a good job of letting enough noise and vibration through to feel communicative.

I'm sure they'll figure out how to transmit feel through force feedback in upcoming models as it's related to suspension travel.

The car looks great after PPF and Ceramic.

PPF pros and cons.

If you don't get the whole car done, then you will have seems. No way around it. My car is wrapped on front half and rockers and I'll be honest about it bothering me. I'm sure it will fade, but a factor for going full ppf would be to avoid seems. Or don't do A pillars and rockers.

Glad I went with the tint. I also tinted the colored reflectors. I didn't want them completely blacked out because I like seeing the contrast.

Other notes for those debating PPF: BMW has horrible orange peel that will not be remedied by paint correction. You might be able to spend less on paint correction and more on PPF and get the whole thing ceramic coated. I was told that paint correction under PPF doesn't to a whole lot to improve the overall look unless the paint is in bad shape to start. My preference is corrected, but options are out there.

My PPF adventure is still under way. My car returns to Auto Obsessions to take my car from partial PPF to full PPF. Michael is going to remove the ceramic and then recoat. I feel like a jerk doing this, but Aaron and Michael have been great. They discussed this stuff with me ahead of time. I thought I knew what I wanted. I hope this can help others with their decision.

Why??? My choice to go full PPF has very little to do with the added protection and more to do with the visual enhancement that it provides.

1. I didn't think the seams would bother me, but they do. The line across the roof and the front/rear of the rear quarters. The M2 panel breaks are such that you would have to do everything but the trunk and and rear bumper to avoid seems. However, the rear section is designed that the rear bumper is a larger area behind the rear wheel.

2. BMW paint is not as good as Jaguar. My first foray into paint correction was on an F-type SVR. Very little orange peel from the factory and paint correction resulted in close to a wet sanded finish. BMW orange peel is intense, and you can't remove enough material without compromising the clearcoat. Paint correction results in a significantly improved finish, but not that same as what was achievable on my Jaguar. The PPF further improved the delta between the peaks and troughs in the orange peel. I have a new X5 next to my CS so I can see how vastly improved the paint corrected finish is vs factory.

3. Protection isn't completely out of my mind. While sitting in my car coding my daughter leaned in through the passenger window. I'll I could think about was how I'm glad she wasn't wearing jeans. My son is two and like to mimic what I do. I'd hate to see him grab a rock and start washing the car

Back to the shop to add PPF to entire car. While there we ran into a HS CS getting the full coverage. I also asked to add some PPF to the carbon tunnel.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-03-2021 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 6
GimmeanM1448.50
BMrDrmr314.50
prompt292.00
Hedoniste3820.50
bogeyman106.00
      12-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Impressions

This will be my driving updates for pre and post break-in.

There is so much to discuss that it's easy to lose site of everything.

I placed a deposit in March of 2016, which created a list based on rumors and spy photos. We knew it was coming, but didn't know if it was a CS or a CSL in the modern BMW definition. I wanted back seats, so I was hoping for a CSL of old.

I built turbocharged 1993 miata years ago. It was a beast, super fun. I learned a lot of lessons about trying to make a car that does two things great. DD and track. It doesn't work. As i built, removed, added, etc. I reach a point where the car really needed a full cage to exploit on track. It was too quick. I took the car too far. The door bars, race seats, and five point harness made hopping in and out a chore. The car felt amazing to drive in the sense that it seemed to be telepathic in how it communicated what was going on at the four corners. It loved to be pushed, almost taunting you to push harder in corners. You asked, and it delivered. The five speed was great, and it liked living above 3500rpm.
I wanted a car that possessed this same spirit. Was special, and could be a little more livable as a DD. Taking the idea of a DD to the limit before becoming excessive and compromising too much for the track. I want a radio, ac, heated seats, etc. I wasn't looking for a 1993 beater that goes fast, but a respectable, reliable car, that enjoys being flogged.

I must say that so far the CS is exactly what I hoped it would be. An extension of me knowing what I want, and knowing what's important to me.

The CS has that same giddy nature a low speed or high speed. The engine sounds like it enjoys life above 4k instead of acting like it's being abused. The seats are comfortable. As expected the interior quality fades away and goes unpriced. The lesser dash and the finer seats disappear. The feel of the alcantara sticks with you and reminds you of "race car". Childhood fantasies of driving a race car come rushing back. It precise, it's noisy, it's nimble, it's quick, it's exciting. But now a family man where a true race car doesn't work it's also comfortable, carries four, and does costco runs like a champ. Jumbo packs of toilet paper and paper towels? Yes please, I'll take one of each and put them both in the trunk with my other stuff.

I like the analogue gauges, but having a G05 I do see where some special touches could have been added with an idrive upgrade. Comfort access would be nice. As would a higher quality key fob. The cabin does feel like a special place to be sitting. The carbon, the color, the alcantara. My svr ftype had a nice interior, so I have a reasonable reference point. It was really nice, but didn't feel special. Again, this fades away once your beyond buckling up and the engine starts.

Super glad I got the track connect kit. The TPMS are garbage for monitoring temp. They read between 15 and 30 degrees colder than the track connect sensors. This was the difference between thinking your tires were not up to temp and being right in the sweet spot. The cup 2s are doing just fine running around in ambient temps in the upper 30s. The tires heat pretty quickly. I'm relying on the track connect app for tire pressure. The door cards seem to be for the PSS tire as the guy at Costco said it said 32. The cup2 on road suggests a hot temp between 36 and 44. I'm targeting 38. The ride is significantly more firm at 38psi than at 34 psi.

I like the steering wheel. It's comfy and stay warm so I don't miss the heated wheel. The steering feel is very limited if you've ever experienced a manual hydraulic rack. The body and seats do an excellent job of transmitting feel. Instead of most of the front tire feel coming through the wheel it now has to be sensed through more of the seat and pedals and less through the steering wheel. It may never be as connected as older generations, but we won't return to that level of feel until we are full electric and providing force feedback on everything the body touches in the car.

I also think the shifter is just fine. The throws feel a little long when on the highway, so I believe I'll still plan to get the AS SSK this summer. There is almost zero lateral play in my shifter when in gear. When pushing forward on the shifter while in gear there is a little play that feels rubbery or springy. I've learned that it's a non issue if I'm not gorilla handling the shifter. Put it in gear, don't cram it into gear if that makes sense.

Coding the car has added some features I appreciate. Most notibly the auto fold mirrors when locking via fob, easy entry/exit, and vld with headlight cornering. Other things like rolling windows up and down with fob, exterior running lights, and blinking brake lights under hard breaking are less noticeable.

I'm glad I ended up getting full PPF on the car with the ceramic. It's getting dusty but I'm very surprised by the amount of dirt that doesn't stick. If you have gold wheels with 2nh, then I hope you like bronze wheels too.

Glad I didn't go full monty with the weight savings from the start. Child seats are heavy. I thought I would take it in and out as necessary to "save weight". Bullshit, that thing is a PIA and will stay in there until it's no longer needed. I'm more likely to dent the car pulling in and out all the time. It also reduced the joy of carrying my little passenger when the seat had to be installed. Now we just ride. Unfortunately he gets car sick

Overall I think it's a really special car that has a rawness relative to it's era, but captures a driving spirit that transcends generational changes.

The sound of the car is OK. It's not good, it's not bad. I'm really indifferent. I think they may pipe a little sound into the cabin because I think the cabin is very well insulated and would be very quiet. Yet somehow the exhaust can still get noticed. The car has excellent vibration. You can feel the engine, and I think that is more important than the exhaust sound.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-17-2021 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Driving updates
Appreciate 1
bogeyman106.00
      12-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Reserved for your first congrats buddy!
BMrDrmr314.50
      12-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

This thread was added as entry in the first post of the dedicated compilation thread ("BMW M2 CS Delivery Threads").
      12-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
BSM metallic flake is wonderful. I had a BSM Z4 M coupe in that color. Looked awesome clean.
      12-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Congratulations!
      12-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
congrats

she looks the dream car she was promised to be
      12-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Great looking car!! Congrats....
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

"Purposeful" is the word I would use to describe this car. Added a couple more pics.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Is this your first foray into ppf? If so, let me share the lesson I learned. My 18 m3 comp was the first car I ever did ppf on. My initial thought was the common driver package was enough protection for where I’d see the majority of hits. Front clip basically - a pillars,fenders, bumper, hood, half of cf roof. It made the expense digestible and I used coating for rest of the car.

Within a week of driving I started to notice small little chips in the paint along the side skirt of the car as well as above the stock ppf in the rear fender area.

I took it back- they extended the rear arch and did the side skirts- while they did the side skirts they did the little airstrip on the bottom of the doors. I said cool, that should do it right.

Within a month I started to notice chips on the doors. I took it back- we did the four doors and while I was there I had the rear bumper.

Today my m3 is just missing ppf on the trunk , half the cf roof and full quarter panels. At first glance the full wrap price tag scared me off- was like cmon putting your car in a full blown condom is ridiculous/ but once you realize you spent so much money to preserve the paint in other areas of the car, watching it deteriorate in the areas you didn’t protect makes the whole thing a little pointless.

I promised myself (and my installer lol) that my next car will be getting the fulldeal And that’s exactly what I’ll be doing with my m2 cs. My recommendation is do the same- if you’re going to protect the paint just protect all of the paint once you realize the peace of mind it provides and how much easier it is to wash the car, it makes it truly worth it and while my m3 is garage kept another thing that ate at me is if the non ppf paint is going to wear differently than the ppf paint over time

In fact- I plan to double up in the high impact rear fender area. We’re going to lay the full fender and then do a cut out on top of that that’s meant to absorb the impact and be easily swappable without pulling the entire fender off

Last edited by gemini.m3; 12-27-2020 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      12-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
That's why I am doing the whole car PPF. I don't have time anymore to do full pair corrections 1-2 a year anymore.
      12-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmed Out View Post
Gorgeous car, congrats! FYI — The car is mislisted in this thread’s title and also in the dedicated compilation thread as having black 763M’s.
Thanks for the heads up. I likely copied the wrong format when I was creating the thread. I updated the thread. Artemis will have to change it in the main thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
Is this your first foray into ppf? If so, let me share the lesson I learned. My 18 m3 comp was the first car I ever did ppf on. My initial thought was the common driver package was enough protection for where I’d see the majority of hits. Front clip basically - a pillars,fenders, bumper, hood, half of cf roof. It made the expense digestible and I used coating for rest of the car.

Within a week of driving I started to notice small little chips in the paint along the side skirt of the car as well as above the stock ppf in the rear fender area.

I took it back- they extended the rear arch and did the side skirts- while they did the side skirts they did the little airstrip on the bottom of the doors. I said cool, that should do it right.

Within a month I started to notice chips on the doors. I took it back- we did the four doors and while I was there I had the rear bumper.

Today my m3 is just missing ppf on the trunk , half the cf roof and full quarter panels. At first glance the full wrap price tag scared me off- was like cmon putting your car in a full blown condom is ridiculous/ but once you realize you spent so much money to preserve the paint in other areas of the car, watching it deteriorate in the areas you didn’t protect makes the whole thing a little pointless.

I promised myself (and my installer lol) that my next car will be getting the fulldeal And that’s exactly what I’ll be doing with my m2 cs. My recommendation is do the same- if you’re going to protect the paint just protect all of the paint once you realize the peace of mind it provides and how much easier it is to wash the car, it makes it truly worth it and while my m3 is garage kept another thing that ate at me is if the non ppf paint is going to wear differently than the ppf paint over time

In fact- I plan to double up in the high impact rear fender area. We’re going to lay the full fender and then do a cut out on top of that that’s meant to absorb the impact and be easily swappable without pulling the entire fender off
Yes, first time considering PPF. I was originally planning to only do the front bumper and mirrors. It will be interesting to see how what I've had done holds up. My thought is that it may be best to either go minimal with front bumper, or whole hog with everything. I'll keep an eye on it and potentially add more if needed.

For others contemplating this. Remember that doing it in sections is going to be more expensive because you'll have to remove some of the old sections, replace them, and redo the ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 01:32 AM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmed Out View Post
Gorgeous car, congrats! FYI — The car is mislisted in this thread’s title and also in the dedicated compilation thread as having black 763M’s.
Thanks for the heads up. I likely copied the wrong format when I was creating the thread. I updated the thread. Artemis will have to change it in the main thread.
Thanks. It's fixed.
      12-28-2020, 02:21 AM   #16
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Nice and good choice. Welcome to the CS group. Enjoy that exceptional M2!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:01 AM   #17
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Beautiful car.

From the comments though, this is the car for you.

Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post

My PPF adventure is still under way. My car returns to Auto Obsessions to take my car from partial PPF to full PPF. Michael is going to remove the ceramic and then recoat. Aaron and Michael have been great. They discussed this stuff with me ahead of time. I thought I knew what I wanted. I hope this can help others with their decision.

Why??? My choice to go full PPF has very little to do with the added protection and more to do with the visual enhancement that it provides.

1. I didn't think the seams would bother me, but they do. The line across the roof and the front/rear of the rear quarters. The M2 panel breaks are such that you would have to do everything but the trunk and and rear bumper to avoid seems. However, the rear section is designed that the rear bumper is a larger area behind the rear wheel.

2. BMW paint is not as good as Jaguar. My first foray into paint correction was on an F-type SVR. Very little orange peel from the factory and paint correction resulted in close to a wet sanded finish. BMW orange peel is intense, and you can't remove enough material without compromising the clearcoat. Paint correction results in a significantly improved finish, but not that same as what was achievable on my Jaguar. The PPF further improved the delta between the peaks and troughs in the orange peel. I have a new X5 next to my CS so I can see how vastly improved the paint corrected finish is vs factory.

3. Protection isn't completely out of my mind. While sitting in my car coding my daughter leaned in through the passenger window. I'll I could think about was how I'm glad she wasn't wearing jeans. My son is two and like to mimic what I do. I'd hate to see him grab a rock and start washing the car

Last edited by medphysdave; 12-29-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #19
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

I have full front PPF. Can't see a seam anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #20
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
I have the A pilliars and a piece that covers a quarter of the roof from the windshield. I then have pieces in front and behind the rear wheels. If you do just the front then there won't be seams.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #21
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
I have the A pilliars and a piece that covers a quarter of the roof from the windshield. I then have pieces in front and behind the rear wheels. If you do just the front then there won't be seams.
Gotcha
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #22
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Interesting on the orange peel for you. I finally hand washed the car tonight, and was inspecting the paint and it's the flattest paint I have among the 4 BMW's straight from the factory. May be something with MB though.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0