BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Just sold my M2, bought a 911... my early thoughts.

01-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #45
twocannsam
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

OP - congrats on making the move to a 911. I, like you, have been a long time M enthusiast and am in my late 20's. I have had a slew of e30's (some 24v swapped), e46's (one m3), and most recently an m2c - all of which served an everyday driver and weekend track car with some light modification (mostly suspension).

Last week I moved on from from the M2c to a 981 GT4 and I was not expecting to find just how different the two cars were. I found this surprising because of how much they had been reviewed against one another and how often I heard folks cross shopping the cars. In fact they almost seem more different than they do similar.

While I love (still do) the M2c, it felt like a Grand Touring car in comparison to the feeling and experience of driving the GT4. Not implying that this is a bad thing but it the result of being 3600+ pounds and based off base 2 series rather than a purpose built sports coupe like the Cayman. There was an immediate validation around the premium that comes with Porsche and why they live up to the name that I previously had no insight into.

No arguing, the OG and M2c new and used both check all the boxes and are hugely valuable across power, performance, interior, infotainment, and smile creation for the price. Its why I bought mine. But find the right model and spec Porsche for you and it can be worth the additional $$ even if its performance numbers don't wow on paper.
Appreciate 3
akhbhaat180.50
Montaver2068.00
      01-31-2021, 07:46 AM   #46
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
Not to hijack OP's thread but couldn't resist when I saw the turbo vs NA discussion (congrats on your 911 btw OP) I owned several turbocharged cars in the past 10 years and must admit I quickly became a huge fan especially after owning an M4 Comp. I loved the S55 so much and ended up replacing my M4C with an M2C. It was another love story for me and enjoyed it very much on both street and track. Last year I sold my M2C with the initial plan to get something with a 4-door this time. Out of nowhere, I had an opportunity to test drive a 981 Cayman GTS but I had zero intentions to moving to a P-car. Well, at least until the test drive. That 20min test drive changed my whole perspective on these cars. I knew I had to get one and I did 6months later (took me awhile to find the exact spec I wanted). My 2016 CGTS isn't anywhere near as powerful as my tuned M2C, doesn't have nearly as much torque especially at low rpm but the way it drives, handles and sounds is something I have never experienced to this day in my previous cars. This is not to take anything away from M2/M2C and I would own another one in a heartbeat in the future (as long as I can keep my GTS ). However, as much as I hate to say it, I don't miss my days with a turbocharged car at all. Maybe it's because I'm not in my 20s anymore but I'm having more fun with less powerful, lighter cars than I did with 400-500+ HP cars and I much prefer NA engines over their turbocharged counterparts these days.
This post definitely resonates (no pun intended) with me. The sense of connection and immediacy with a normally aspirated engine trumps the increased power and torque of a turbo engine. I realized this many moons ago when I test drove a 128i and a 135i back to back. The 135i was obviously much faster and powerful, but guess which one i liked better? The 128i throttle was like a direct connection to the engine with immediate response. The 135i, like any turbo, was less connected and direct.

I do find the s55 M2C application pretty good for a turbo engine, certainly more NA feeling than other turbos, but its still a turbo. I would gladly take a 300 hp/tq NA engine in there over a more powerful turbo. 0-60 would likely fall to 5.5 seconds, but it would, for me, be a more enjoyable driving experience.

The s55 is a nice engine with lots of character, but it can't compare to the visceral nature and connection of the flat sixes in the porsches I previously owned.

I hope to have a masterpiece of a NA engine in an audi R8 v10 someday...(been looking for a year already)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:29 AM   #47
Bl4ckD0g
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C DCT HS MY2021

We would have loved to go for the 911, likely the next one for my wife when the children drive themselves. It is those rear seats in the M2C that makes it very practical as a daily driver...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #48
ScoobyMoji
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI & brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
I feel like every BMW owners next "step up" car is either a 911 or Cayman lol

personally I don't really like the newer generation Porsches(they are getting so big), I like the 911 997 or the 987 Cayman
I just went from 981 Cayman S to M2 lci - and I have not looked back or regretted the decision at all.

I also had a 987.1 Boxster S for 8 years and the IMS issue just kept coming back to haunt you despite low failure rate.

Knowing that the M2 with N55 is and will be rock solid for years to come is in my opinion an upgrade from anything with major engine defects.
Appreciate 0