BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > F87 M2 Comp Mirrors Retrofit - getbmwparts

12-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
Bloomberger
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

F87 M2 Comp Mirrors Retrofit - getbmwparts

Hi - did anyone install these M2C retro fit mirrors from getbmwparts.com on their OG M2?

https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-f87-m2...kf87m2cmirrors

Want to buy the mirrors for my 2017 M2 but wonder whether they require any other changes on the mirror’s base, electrics or modules of the car? Or whether no other parts are needed to get them installed?

I already checked with getbmwparts.com but they referred me back to the forum to confirm..

Thanks for any pointers
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:46 AM   #2
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberger View Post
Hi - did anyone install these M2C retro fit mirrors from getbmwparts.com on their OG M2?

Want to buy the mirrors for my 2017 M2 but wonder whether they require any other changes on the mirror’s base, electrics or modules of the car? Or whether no other parts are needed to get them installed?

I already checked with getbmwparts.com but they referred me back to the forum to confirm..

Thanks for any pointers
Wow, that's super expensive.

Check out JB Speed. A lot cheaper, and they look great, but ... be warned, they are a pain to put on. I had to get my mechanic to help me install them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:11 AM   #3
Bloomberger
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post

Check out JB Speed. A lot cheaper, and they look great, but ... be warned, they are a pain to put on. I had to get my mechanic to help me install them.
Thanks a lot for the JB Speed recommendation!

I do prefer the non-carbon version of getbmwparts.com though.. hopefully they're easy to install mirrors w/o having to go a mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

I think you only need a mirror housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

I bought / installed the M2C retro fit mirror kit from getbmwparts. You get everything you need to install.

You will have to have the caps painted or get the carbon fiber ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
Bloomberger
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
I bought / installed the M2C retro fit mirror kit from getbmwparts. You get everything you need to install.

You will have to have the caps painted or get the carbon fiber ones.
Awesome, thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
eldogo
Lieutenant
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi BMW X5 F15 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Why don't you just get this?

https://ind-distribution.com/product...or-housing-kit
      12-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

not everyone wants a fake housing. Some people want the real deal for the bigger mirror glass and the unique LED
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN16304.50
AndrewC198910931.00
Fedorov162.00
      12-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberger View Post

Thanks for any pointers
Man, where were you 2 weeks ago when I was selling the entire M2 Competition Mirror setup off of my OG for $1,300 USD I paid $2,400 for with genuine Carbon Fiber caps and Euro spec mirrors? I ended up having to let them go with the car because nobody bought them.

Anyways, to answer your question they're a direct fit but require you to remove the door panels for installation.

Last edited by nothingman; 12-18-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogo View Post
I bought the version that looks like that from autoid. My only complaint is the color match isn't perfect. Ind probably does a better job but costs more.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I bought the version that looks like that from autoid. My only complaint is the color match isn't perfect. Ind probably does a better job but costs more.
I purposely purchased from IND to ensure a perfect color match (though to be honest, I didn't know anything about AutoID/Autotechnic painting).

I already had the euro/wide angle mirrors and I didn't think it was worth $2K (with paint) for the genuine ones (although it does transform the look and should have been standard on the OG).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Absolutely happy with my AutoID mirror assemblies. Same as the ones sold by IND.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I went the easy way with these IND mirror caps: https://ind-distribution.com/collect...rror-cover-set
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post

JB Speed are mirror housing replacements on for the stock F-series chassis mirrors. AutoID, AutoTecknic, pick some additional company that pulls stock from Taiwan or China, sells. They are "good" but definitely not OEM. I have read complaints on poor plastic quality compared to OEM as well as fitment issues. Find the threads and you can read for yourself.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
I think you only need a mirror housing.
Incorrect.

If you go to the Cosmetic Modification Forum there are several threads on retrofitting the M2C mirrors to the OG M2.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1557865

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1561537

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Man, where were you 2 weeks ago when I was selling the entire M2 Competition Mirror setup off of my OG for $1,300 USD I paid $2,500 for with genuine Carbon Fiber caps and Euro spec mirrors? I ended up having to let them go with the car because nobody bought them.

Anyways, to answer your question they're a direct fit but require you to remove the door panels for installation.
I would have bought them...but I had white mirrors
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #15
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

I can't figure out why people would pay money for these. For the silly curve bump at the top that actually makes it less aerodynamic?

/rant
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 02:13 AM   #16
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I think they are pretty easy to install but it's good to have a second set of hands to hold the mirror because once you remove the last bolt (3 total) it will fall off and, of course, could damage the paint on the door or the door itself.

Getting the 'door card' off is pretty easy, 5 torque head screws (2 on the bottom, 2 inside the handle under the CF cover and 1 behind the cover of the opening handle) and a bunch of button clips. Start on the bottom inside corner with a plastic tool and work it until you hear a couple pop and then you should be able to get your fingers under it. The top along the window has a bunch of clips but you should have all the rest loose at this point and just pull straight out starting on the inside. There are 3 electrical connects inside the doors plus the cable running to the door lock. The driver's door has a lever style connector (push down the clip, rotate the lever about 70 degrees to remove the connector) for the control panel, the passengers side is a simple push on.

The hard part is getting the insulation and little speaker off as you need to get behind them to get to the bolts. Top Gear Top Tip, take some photos of this area and how the wiring runs to help reinstall it.

The replacement mirror housing fits exactly when original one used to be but check the bolt holes on the new mirror housing. Not sure about all but mine didn't have screw threads cut in them and the bolts were not self tapping. Maybe this 'kit' will come with self tapping bolt or with the thread already cut but I ended up running a tap into them before putting them on the car. I didn't have the right tap for captive holes so I just use the tap I had to cut a few threads at the top of the hole to allow the bolt to thread and then used the bolt to cut the rest as it went down. This makes it hard to judge how tight to torque the bolts but when you think you have them all tight, check if the housing is loose. I tightened each bolt a turn at a time.

The mirror caps come in primer gray so you'll have to have them painted before doing the install.

I have no problem with anyone going the cover only route but the real deal are the real deal for a reason!

Enjoy

Last edited by dtmurf; 12-18-2020 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: type-o
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #17
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I paid $2,500 for with genuine Carbon Fiber caps and Euro spec mirrors
You can get them for way less than that if you know where to look. Granted I didn't get the carbon caps, but still...

Appreciate 3
gphung193.50
      12-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #18
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
You can get them for way less than that if you know where to look. Granted I didn't get the carbon caps, but still...
Nice, but not exactly an apples to apples comparison. You didn't get the auto-dimming heated aspherical Euro mirrors, and the carbon fiber caps are significantly more expensive than the regular mirror caps. My total was $2,322 USD below before shipping, so my actual total was close to $2,400.

You did get a much better deal on the housings at 384.20€ ($470.45) each whereas I paid $585. The other items aren't comparable.
Attached Images

12-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #19
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You didn't get the auto-dimming heated aspherical Euro mirrors
I did actually, both sides are powerfold, euro glass (aspherical), heat, and autodim. Perhaps the P/N's on the invoice don't match up for whatever reason (error or updated/outdated part number) but it's exactly what I got and what I have installed.

Quote:
The carbon fiber caps are significantly more expensive than the regular mirror caps.
True, but I wouldn't be able to justify paying twice as much just for the carbon caps.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #20
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
I did actually. Maybe the P/N's don't match up for whatever reason but it's exactly what I got and what I have installed
Are you sure yours are auto-dimming? That may be the difference.

https://bmwrecambios.es/Mirror-glas-...83-51168065297

Either way, the Euro mirrors are awesome and I'm glad you got them. Anyone following this thread who goes either route will love them.
      12-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #21
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you sure yours are auto-dimming?
Yup, 100% sure. Mirror goes from silver to blue in the specific lighting circumstances that trigger it.

Quote:
Either way, the Euro mirrors are awesome and I'm glad you got them. Anyone following this thread who goes either route will love them.
Yes, they are great! Huge difference in blindspot visibility.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #22
Bloomberger
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
I think they are pretty easy to install but it's good to have a second set of hands to hold the mirror because once you remove the last bolt (3 total) it will fall off and, of course, could damage the paint on the door or the door itself.

Getting the 'door card' off is pretty easy, 5 torque head screws (2 on the bottom, 2 inside the handle under the CF cover and 1 behind the cover of the opening handle) and a bunch of button clips. Start on the bottom inside corner with a plastic tool and work it until you hear a couple pop and then you should be able to get your fingers under it. The top along the window has a bunch of clips but you should have all the rest loose at this point and just pull straight out starting on the inside. There are 3 electrical connects inside the doors plus the cable running to the door lock. The driver's door has a lever style connector (push down the clip, rotate the lever about 70 degrees to remove the connector) for the control panel, the passengers side is a simple push on.

The hard part is getting the insulation and little speaker off as you need to get behind them to get to the bolts. Top Gear Top Tip, take some photos of this area and how the wiring runs to help reinstall it.

The replacement mirror housing fits exactly when original one used to be but check the bolt holes on the new mirror housing. Not sure about all but mine didn't have screw threads cut in them and the bolts were not self tapping. Maybe this 'kit' will come with self tapping bolt or with the thread already cut but I ended up running a tap into them before putting them on the car. I didn't have the right tap for captive holes so I just use the tap I had to cut a few threads at the top of the hole to allow the bolt to thread and then used the bolt to cut the rest as it went down. This makes it hard to judge how tight to torque the bolts but when you think you have them all tight, check if the housing is loose. I tightened each bolt a turn at a time.

The mirror caps come in primer gray so you'll have to have them painted before doing the install.

I have no problem with anyone going the cover only route but the real deal are the real deal for a reason!

Enjoy
Thanks a ton for these detailed instructions!!!
Appreciate 1
dtmurf481.50