BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > GarageMadness | Build & Ownership Thread *Update: UCP and AS SSK 7.22.21**

10-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #23
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMaddness View Post
Thanks for link. They look quality but I'm not diggin the design pattern. Do you have install pics on your car?

Thanks. I appreciate it. Be safe and ticket free
Sure, heres a pic when I first installed them, (pardon the dirt!)
I like the M on the dead pedal. Thanks for sharing.
Fair enough! Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #24
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Very nice. I know it's all personal preference, but i personally love the orange stitching!
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 02:14 AM   #25
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Very nice. I know it's all personal preference, but i personally love the orange stitching!
Especially on SO, polar blue wouldn't be as complimentary.
Moflow2484.50
      10-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #26
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Keep the S2000. I agree with much of what you've said. I been thinking also about selling but I did something interesting the other day which changed my mind - I drove them back to back. After getting out the M and into my S I realized what the M is missing. Somewhat difficult to replicate the connected feeling you get in the S within the M but maybe over time things would change. Nevertheless, I decided to keep my 06 GPW for now. However do I really need 2 of them???
IMO, the S2K is a more pure drivers car and it scratches the convertible itch. But for me the M2C is better in every other way - so much so that I have not driven the S2K in months. My youngest daughter (senior in HS) let me know that she was hoping I would not sell the S2K so I'll probably keep it for a while longer. Regarding your dilemma - if you have the space and funding only you can decide how many toys you need.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #27
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Back in 2001 I was about to pull the trigger on a new S2000, but found out we going from a family of 2 to 3, so that was shattered. I have no coals in the fire, but just to stoke the fire.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-s2000-review/

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #28
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Quote:
Keep the S2000. I agree with much of what you've said. I been thinking also about selling but I did something interesting the other day which changed my mind - I drove them back to back. After getting out the M and into my S I realized what the M is missing. Somewhat difficult to replicate the connected feeling you get in the S within the M but maybe over time things would change. Nevertheless, I decided to keep my 06 GPW for now. However do I really need 2 of them???
IMO, the S2K is a more pure drivers car and it scratches the convertible itch. But for me the M2C is better in every other way - so much so that I have not driven the S2K in months. My youngest daughter (senior in HS) let me know that she was hoping I would not sell the S2K so I'll probably keep it for a while longer. Regarding your dilemma - if you have the space and funding only you can decide how many toys you need.
Yes the M is better in many ways. Having both for now is fun. The CR is an investment for now but the GPW gets driven.
      10-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #29
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
Back in 2001 I was about to pull the trigger on a new S2000, but found out we going from a family of 2 to 3, so that was shattered. I have no coals in the fire, but just to stoke the fire.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-s2000-review/
Unlike most S owners I'm a fan of Miatas. It has outlasted everything in its class. I wish Honda would bring back a modern S2000 even though I love the ones I own. It would be cool to see what could be improved in time to the formula. The M is definitely more functional especially even with a young family.
Sarg33554.50
Moflow2484.50
      10-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #30
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Decided to get out and work at a local coffee shop this afternoon. Gotta get to that 1200 mile service.
Attached Images

Sarg33554.50
Poochie9099.00
      10-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #31
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Unlike most S owners I'm a fan of Miatas. It has outlasted everything in its class. I wish Honda would bring back a modern S2000 even though I love the ones I own. It would be cool to see what could be improved in time to the formula. The M is definitely more functional especially even with a young family.
They're definitely both really good cars. And honestly they're different enough that I think there's room to really love both platforms. S2Ks are just special in a way that Miatas are not. Which is a double edged sword, because half of the fun of the miata is the feeling of "fuck it, its just a miata!" and the car is like "Yeah! I'm here for that action!"

You treat the S2000 with a hell of a lot more respect and it rewards you with an engine character not commonly seen outside of exotics.

I say this as someone who has never owned either, but who's obviously driven both. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #32
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
They're definitely both really good cars. And honestly they're different enough that I think there's room to really love both platforms. S2Ks are just special in a way that Miatas are not. Which is a double edged sword, because half of the fun of the miata is the feeling of "fuck it, its just a miata!" and the car is like "Yeah! I'm here for that action!"

You treat the S2000 with a hell of a lot more respect and it rewards you with an engine character not commonly seen outside of exotics.

I say this as someone who has never owned either, but who's obviously driven both. YMMV.
Totally agree. Probably a regret I have is not moving on to a different platform a few years ago. I bought the S2000 CR brand new in 08 and the GPW S2000 used in 2017. Basically driven those plus some other Acura, Honda, Lexus, and Infiniti models as well for the last decade. The M2C is so much fun as I've discovered the last 3 weeks of driving and I have yet to push it to the max.
      10-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #33
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Apex EC-7 Wheel in Anthracite

Got my wheels in today. Nice finish to a long work day.

Apex EC-7
Anthracite
19x9.5 +28
19x10.5 +45
Attached Images

Last edited by GarageMadness; 12-02-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #34
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

I too come from s2000's - made the mistake of selling mine though to make space in the garage - don't make the same mistake as me though!!
      10-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #35
j0oftheworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 01 S2k, 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I too come from s2000's - made the mistake of selling mine though to make space in the garage - don't make the same mistake as me though!!
Warren, we both have S2k's and M2's..
I'll his ass if he tried to be S2k-less..
      10-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #36
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree. I have an emotional attachment to the S2000. Let's put it this way. It's outlasted a divorce, putting my kid through college, job changes, relocation, and lots of other life events. Plus I have two S2000s.
Sublime001129.00
      10-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #37
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0oftheworld View Post
Quote:
Warren, we both have S2k's and M2's..
I'll his ass if he tried to be S2k-less..
I expect no less when I'm thinking stupid
      10-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #38
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

Nooo I’m selling my s2000, my dd for last 10+ years... need to make room for my so m2c. As much as I want to keep it, doesn’t make sense to pay 600$ A month in insurance and parking.
Hopefully the m2c drive as well. It’ll be different for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #39
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
Nooo I’m selling my s2000, my dd for last 10+ years... need to make room for my so m2c. As much as I want to keep it, doesn’t make sense to pay 600$ A month in insurance and parking.
Hopefully the m2c drive as well. It’ll be different for sure.
Live with the indecision point for a while. Do yourself a favor....get the M2C and then drive them back to back literally. you may regret the decision. Honestly, they serve do different purposes in my mind.
      10-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #40
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Received a few odds and ends from IND yesterday. Looking forward to putting these on shortly. Although I like the quality of IND parts, their shipping attention to details needs some work as this is the 3rd shipment where I received the wrong part or one was missing, but they are responsive in getting things corrected. Will post up some installed pics and some drive reviews on the pedals and shift knob.
Attached Images

Last edited by GarageMadness; 12-02-2020 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: IND Parts Order
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #41
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

M Performance Shift Knob | Install and Review

Providing an updated review on install and driving characteristics of the M Performance shift knob I installed, bought from IND. I will answer questions I had in effort to help others who are deciding if this is something they want for their M2C. I will then go into a bit of detail on my answers. Please note my answers are my subjective opinions and I'm not trying to convince anyone of purchasing this shift knob. Feel free to post or PM if you have other questions.

Would I recommend or is it worth it?
Yes. It's a bit pricey but I personally like the SO matched stitching on the shift boot, the OEM fit/finish, and the look and driving feel of the shift knob.
Is it easy to install?
Yes. It was the easiest install I've had of any shift knob. *see install steps at end of this post*
Does it look better than OEM inside the cabin?
Yes. Without hesitation it looks better by adding a modern style to the center console versus the stock shift knob which looks a bit dated. The CF/alcentera/matched stitching is all but perfect. Quite honestly it should have come from the factory with this as an option at the least. I also like the shape, curvature, and shift engraving on the MP shift knob as it fits the interior trim asthetics better. The shift pattern is easier to see in low light situations for my eyes. *subjective of course*
Does it enhance shifting feel?
Yes. It's a noticeable improvement in shift feel as you row through every gear. It minimizes the vague rubber-like shift effort you feel in comparison to stock.
Is it comfortable?
Yes and no. It's comfortable for me for two reasons. The overhand and pistol grip shifting feels better in my hands. It also reduces the bend in my wrists when my elbow is resting on the armrest while shifting. This is attributed to the drop in height of the shift knob. *see pics at end of this post* For tall/bigger driver's the size, weight, and drop in height may not be a great match.
Is the shift boot and knob OEM?
Yes. All BMW parts as evident by the shift boot sticker at the bottom. It tells you the production mo/yr.
Are the shifts shorter?
Yes and no. At first, the shifts feel shorter but after some driving you realize this is mainly due to the greater tactile (not mechanical) feel of the shift knob given slight height and weight reduction of the entire shift boot and knob (20 grams as posted by another member).
Is the 1st to 2nd shift improved?
Yes. This is most improved when engaging 1st and 2nd gears. Infact competing a gear shift in every gear feels more solid as you row through the gate. You have a better feel while driving for the gear you're in, if that makes sense, eliminating the ambiguity of guessing if you're in 3rd or 5th gear while driving around town at low to mid RPMs.
Is the shift knob shorter in height installed?
Yes. *see pics at end of post for visuals*
Does the shift knob feel and more noisy and mechanical when driving?
Yes and no. It definitely feels lighter whether you're gripping the shift knob overhand or pistol grip fashion. It's slightly more mechanical but definetely not like a true short-shifter install. I would describe it as more as tactile versus mechanical feel. It provides a small "clicky-noise" sensation at the end of each gear change. To me that confirms by gear change better than the stock shift knob. Otherwise no increase in noise.
Are the shift boot and knob assembled well?
Yes. Just like the stock shift boot and knob with the underside clips, glue, etc.
Does the shift boot have any odd looking gaps when installed on the the center console trim?
No. I actually looked for that specifically and didn't notice any.

The Install
The most simple install I've ever done on any car period. It took me less than 10 minutes and no tools were needed. To prepare I watched a couple of videos on YouTube from owners to orient myself. I also took a few pics for comparison. Below are the seps to my simple install.

NOTE: with any install ensure you understand the installation, make time and don't rush the install, and be patient.

1. Move driver's seat back.
2. Put the car in 4th gear.
3. Gently unclip the shift boot in 3 locations. *see pics at the end of this post*
4. Unravel the shift boot above center console trim to avoid any interference before removing the stock shift knob.
5. Grab the stock shift knob and twist slightly to remove some friction.
6. While holding with both hands pull shift knob up and towards you with some pressure. *do not stand or lean above the shift knob to avoid having it hit your face as you pull up and towards you as this is where patience comes into play*
7. Remove the stock shift knob from the shift lever slowly.
8. Center the MP shift knob onto the shift lever and gently push down (you will push down on it later).
9. Position and 1 clip in the rear facing part of the boot.
10. Position and 2 clips in the front facing part of the boot.
11. Check boot fitment is clipped properly all the way around.
12. Finally press down on top of MP shift knob to ensure it rest completely on top of shift lever. *does not require tremendous effort or force*
13. Smile and enjoy your work!

Driving Summary
For me it's one step closer to the the overall transmission feel I want while driving. The shifting is more connected as I row through the gears.There is less guess work involved as I'm rev across the power band (still in my break-in period). I'm used to driving an S2000 so shift feel is high on my priority for this build. I'm conversing with Ron to determine my exact specs for the AutoSolutions SSK. With the UC Pedal and the SS SSK, this would be the 3rd piece of a precision feel evident in my S2000. I'm doing this first so I can determine if I want any height changes in the shift lever and the % short-throw reduction I want relative to the shift effort for my driving purposes (track vs. daily).

All in all I'm happy I made the purchase. it looks and feels great. It offers a better sensation. IND offers this and I would recommend contacting them if you have specific questions on the MP boot-n-knob.

Install and Comparison Pics
Attached Images

Last edited by GarageMadness; 12-02-2020 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 7
smknjoe234.00
KevinM2931.00
iBurble99.00
Moflow2484.50
TRM2C14.50
      10-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #42
atronlol
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
2021 M2C  [0.00]
Thanks for this post!! Great to see the review and detailed install instructions, as well as pictures of stock and the new shift knob for comparison.

Out of curiosity did you consider the “M” shifter and just wondering why you didn’t go with it.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...-EQUIPMENT-KIT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #43
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I did consider that one but ruled it out for several reasons:
- it was quite a bit more in cost.
- the shift knob seemed a bit bulky and tall from the all the pics I've seen, although more ergonomic for larger hands I'm sure.
- IND M Performance CF/Alcentera material design matches much better to the interior of the M2C and a bit more modern looking.
- wanted a more tactile feel and didn't think this shifter would accomplish that.
- ease of installation - did not want to splice for illuminated gear pattern.
- most importantly, it's not an attractive looking shift knob *subjective opinion of course*
      10-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #44
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

BMW 'Stealership' Goods

Had the dealer order me a Navigation Manual from Germany. I guess several years ago, BMW stopped printing them. Call me old school as I just wanted one with the Owners Guide in my glove box. While I was there, I picked up a 'M' hat and COVID mask. Need to stop going to parts department while I'm there.
Attached Images

Last edited by GarageMadness; 12-02-2020 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
smknjoe234.00
Moflow2484.50