BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > M2 Mountain gathering

09-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, RAM 2500

M2 Mountain gathering

I've spent a bunch of time out in East TN and Western NC on bikes and in my m2, considering planning a M2 rally out here and hitting all the great roads from all the mapping i've done. Some normal staples will be hit like dragon, and cherohala skyway etc. I know getting large groups of cars on more complicated routes can be a pain but I have some gems of roads out there that are rarely occupied. Any interest?

some two wheeled fun and a tow rig
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
RollingInDubs
Rep
Drives: 2015 Challenger Scat Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewstd View Post
I've spent a bunch of time out in East TN and Western NC on bikes and in my m2, considering planning a M2 rally out here and hitting all the great roads from all the mapping i've done. Some normal staples will be hit like dragon, and cherohala skyway etc. I know getting large groups of cars on more complicated routes can be a pain but I have some gems of roads out there that are rarely occupied. Any interest?
I'm a regular on the dragon so I'm very interested!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingInDubs View Post
I'm a regular on the dragon so I'm very interested!
there are some roads out in that region that will make you forget about the dragon

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I’m interested! Want to get back out to the Dragon, Skyway, and Hellbender and Moonshiner 28. From Raleigh, I take I-40 to Asheville, then hop on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee... that section rises up over 6,000 feet at the highest point on the BRP, with great views, and 17 tunnels for your acoustic enjoyment!

Yep, counted them with my son, when we used to go out to the mountains in my Speed3, when he had his driver’s permit. Taught him right!

Just got back from the NC mountains last weekend. I was between Asheville and Boone this time with family.

Micaville, NC to Bakersville, NC to Roan Mountain, TN... via NC 80, then over to NC 261, TN 143 was a very good run!

Not much traffic, except around Roan Mountain trailhead. Nice hiking around there too! The overlook, the rhododendrons, the balds (treeless grassy areas on top of isolated mountain ridges).

Also did a moonlight run on 226A (Diamondback) below Little Switzerland, NC. Fun but narrow, especially at night.

Please share your favorite roads in the area, maybe there’s a great road I haven’t been on, yet.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

from dragon take 28 all the way into Franklin .NC and then take wayah Rd back towards Robbinsville

Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'm going on my own short trip in this area on October 24th with some friends. Showing hem around a bit, most have never been. Currently have Skyway, Dragon, 28 to Bridal Veil Falls, Wayah Road planned. Any other recommendations in the area we should add? Would also be up for an M2 meetup out there
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoshotz View Post
I'm going on my own short trip in this area on October 24th with some friends. Showing hem around a bit, most have never been. Currently have Skyway, Dragon, 28 to Bridal Veil Falls, Wayah Road planned. Any other recommendations in the area we should add? Would also be up for an M2 meetup out there
Where are you starting the route? Day or overnight trip? I have some routes recorded on REVER. From knoxville I'd go into maryville and hit foothills parkway, then up the dragon, "moonshiners 28" then get on big 4 lane and take a right onto 28 heading into franklin, NC (good stopping point for lunch) or keep going towards cashiers. Wayah rd is magical and usually empty

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewstd View Post
Where are you starting the route? Day or overnight trip? I have some routes recorded on REVER. From knoxville I'd go into maryville and hit foothills parkway, then up the dragon, "moonshiners 28" then get on big 4 lane and take a right onto 28 heading into franklin, NC (good stopping point for lunch) or keep going towards cashiers. Wayah rd is magical and usually empty
We've got the whole weekend Friday-Sunday based in Robbinsville. I'm from Knoxville however. I was thinking of including foothills, and over to gaitlinburg, down to bryson city via 441, then into robbinsville for the early arrivers Friday. Plan was run up skyway from Robbinsville, south down the dragon, follow 28 to franklin as you mentioned, continue onto bridal veil falls, then skip up to Wayah rd, which brings us mostly back to Robbinsville. Looking for Sunday routes that head south to kick off their drive home to atl. I've done those routes I mentioned plenty of times in my old 370 (minus Wayah road, this will be new to me) but I know there are other great roads undiscovered by me in the area. Will also be the first time out there in the M2
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoshotz View Post
We've got the whole weekend Friday-Sunday based in Robbinsville. I'm from Knoxville however. I was thinking of including foothills, and over to gaitlinburg, down to bryson city via 441, then into robbinsville for the early arrivers Friday. Plan was run up skyway from Robbinsville, south down the dragon, follow 28 to franklin as you mentioned, continue onto bridal veil falls, then skip up to Wayah rd, which brings us mostly back to Robbinsville. Looking for Sunday routes that head south to kick off their drive home to atl. I've done those routes I mentioned plenty of times in my old 370 (minus Wayah road, this will be new to me) but I know there are other great roads undiscovered by me in the area. Will also be the first time out there in the M2
the M2 was made for these roads,

Be careful going anywhere near Gatlinburg during this time of year, lots oftourists clogging the roads for the leaves falling

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
TT M2C
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
NC Hwy 80 (AKA The Devil's Whip) begins in Marion NC - Climbs 2500 ft and has challenging curves and switchbacks. Great Drive!
Appreciate 0