BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Front license plate "solution"

07-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Front license plate "solution"

Obviously, many of us want to avoid drilling into the front bumper. Now, I realize this topic has been beat to death and yes, I pretty much looked through all the current solutions offered, such as carbonio, sto n sho, magnets behind the bumper, etc.

However, I prefer simpler solutions, which is why I narrowed it down to double-sided tape. From a lot of the reading I've done in the last week or so, it appears that 3M double-sided tape should do the trick. After all, that's what BMW uses to attach EU delivery plates and those suckers are on there tight. I was thinking about pairing it with the 3M adhesive promoter, as is recommended by 3M. Several people said that it will be impossible to remove without damaging the paint, but if it's anything like spoiler/emblem removal, then I don't think it should be a problem. In my experience, fishing line or dental floss does the trick paired with goo gone.

I narrowed it down to this tape, but I'm open to other recommendations: https://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether there will be enough backing support to hold the US plate securely in place due to that part of the bumper not having enough surface area. This is where the EU plates have an advantage. They are wider, but shorter. I hope people don't mind me borrowing their photos for the purpose of illustrating what I meant:

Last edited by 19x; 07-12-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

You don't need adhesive promoter. 3M makes different hold ratings of double sided tape, 5-lbs, 15-lbs, etc. Obviously the higher the weight the more holding power. The paint needs to be prepped by removing any wax/sealant for optimal adhesion. FYI, STO N SHO uses double sided tape and they don't fall off.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You don't need adhesive promoter. 3M makes different hold ratings of double sided tape, 5-lbs, 15-lbs, etc. Obviously the higher the weight the more holding power. The paint needs to be prepped by removing any wax/sealant for optimal adhesion. FYI, STO N SHO uses double sided tape and they don't fall off.
I realize that maybe I don’t need the promoter, but I’d rather be safe, given that there isn’t much surface area to hold the US plate attached to the bumper.

Also, as far as I know, sto n sho still requires one to drill a hole underneath the bumper. I’d like to avoid any holes. I don’t see how their mount can be attached safely from the bottom using just that tiny strip of tape they provide.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
I realize that maybe I don’t need the promoter, but I’d rather be safe, given that there isn’t much surface area to hold the US plate attached to the bumper.

Also, as far as I know, sto n sho still requires one to drill a hole underneath the bumper. I’d like to avoid any holes. I don’t see how their mount can be attached safely from the bottom using just that tiny strip of tape they provide.
US plates have more than enough surface area. STO N SHO for the F8x does not require any holes drilled. It's got a a small footprint, 1.5" x 2.25" that's got double sided tape and attaches to the bumper area just underneath the grilles. It also weighs more than just a plate. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, I'm just telling you the facts. GL
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
US plates have more than enough surface area. STO N SHO for the F8x does not require any holes drilled. It's got a a small footprint, 1.5" x 2.25" that's got double sided tape and attaches to the bumper area just underneath the grilles. It also weighs more than just a plate. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, I'm just telling you the facts. GL
Got any photos to back that up? - The Sto n sho website clearly shows the hole that has to be drilled. Their instructions videos show the same thing. There is a small area with tape and a hole in the middle of that area that is suppose to be drilled.

I think you misunderstood what I meant about the surface area. I’m saying that if you want to attach the US plate directly to the front m2 comp bumper with double-sided tape, only about 1/3 of the plate’s surface area will actually Be fastened to the bumper. The Euro plate is shorter and as you can see in the photo, half of it adheres to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
5150d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I keep the front plate in my glove compartment and put it on the dash when I park on public street. SOLVED!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150d View Post
I keep the front plate in my glove compartment and put it on the dash when I park on public street. SOLVED!
Unfortunately, that’s not an option for me. It will get you a no-front-plate parking ticket in most states, I guarantee it. Also, many states don’t let you “fix it”. In short, I don’t want to deal with getting harassed by police and meter maids over not having a front plate mounted. I’ve gotten nailed for it so many times throughout the years, I lost count.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
My solution is to not use a front plate. Boom, your welcome.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
BlkSVT388.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      07-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Got any photos to back that up? - The Sto n sho website clearly shows the hole that has to be drilled. Their instructions videos show the same thing. There is a small area with tape and a hole in the middle of that area that is suppose to be drilled.
https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...20BMW%20M4.pdf

I wonder why they show using 3M tape *and* securing with a screw. Perhaps many folks get away without the screw. When I first looked at the Sto n Sho, I thought it was dumb because I don't want to drill a hole in the underside of the bumper either!

I find it a little disingenuous to say:

"Never requires holes to be drilled into the front of your bumper"
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...20BMW%20M4.pdf

I wonder why they show using 3M tape *and* securing with a screw. Perhaps many folks get away without the screw. When I first looked at the Sto n Sho, I thought it was dumb because I don't want to drill a hole in the underside of the bumper either!

I find it a little disingenuous to say:

"Never requires holes to be drilled into the front of your bumper"
Right. I believe that’s exactly what they mean: you don’t have to drill the FRONT of the bumper (but you still have to drill the bottom).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
My solution is to not use a front plate. Boom, your welcome.

How old are you again?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #12
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150d View Post
Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. It will get you a no-front-plate parking ticket in most states, I guarantee it. Also, many states don't let you "fix it". In short, I don't want to deal with getting harassed by police and meter maids over not having a front plate mounted. I've gotten nailed for it so many times throughout the years, I lost count.
What state are you in? In the 10 years I've been driving I've never had a front plate

I'm 27 and I've never even heard of anyone around me or in my life getting that ticket
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
What state are you in? In the 10 years I've been driving I've never had a front plate
I wish it was that easy around here. I’m in IL and like I mentioned before, I’ve gotten nailed for it more times than I can remember. I’ve spent thousands on parking tickets due to not having a front plate. I’ve been pulled over for it many times, as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm 27 and I've never even heard of anyone around me or in my life getting that ticket
Funny how that works. I’m 38 and never heard of anyone around me or in my life not getting a ticket for it.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
BlkSVT388.50
      07-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #15
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

why not a tow hook mounted front plate?
Appreciate 1
Brandt51887.50
      07-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #16
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I had the tow hook mounted front plate for a few years on my other BMW's, but I always secretly despised that look. It looks like crap IMO. I'd rather just drill the damn holes and mount the OE bracket in the center. I prefer symmetrical solutions, which is why double-sided tape is the only clean OE-like option I could think of that doesn't involve drilling.
Appreciate 2
jkoral1023.00
      07-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #17
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

i guess thats fair. I just run without a plate even though i'm in CA and its required. I havent had an issue so far though in the 5 years ive run all my cars without front plate. But i also dont drive like a hooligan so i think that helps
Appreciate 1
Brandt51887.50
      07-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #18
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Quote:
Funny how that works. I’m 38 and never heard of anyone around me or in my life not getting a ticket for it.
same here. In DC or VA you will get a ticket more times than not when street parking.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

$75 ticket in Denver. I'll take my chances.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #20
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I had the tow hook mounted front plate for a few years on my other BMW's, but I always secretly despised that look. It looks like crap IMO. I'd rather just drill the damn holes and mount the OE bracket in the center. I prefer symmetrical solutions, which is why double-sided tape is the only clean OE-like option I could think of that doesn't involve drilling.
the side mount does look like crap. for all these guys who obsess over their cars looking perfect, having an off center plate never made sense.

realize you said you researched this, but i went with carbonio and have had zero issues.

https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-m2...se-plate-mount
Appreciate 1
19x459.50
      07-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #21
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Let me guess - Chicago and their infamous "parking tax"?

If you live in the city, proper, you'll get a parking ticket for something at least 3-4 times per year. They'll get the f*cking ruler out and ticket you if 1 wheel is more than 6" away if it's a slow night... No plate and parked, even in OHare or Midway garages, and you might as well put a red flashing light on your car.

Suburbs are much more lenient. I'm sure to get 1 tomorrow now that I'm tempting fate, but I've been pulled over once in Bartlett (let me go w/a "warning"), and once in Schaumburg ~15 years ago. Other than that, no probs.

When I go to the city in the Audi, I use the tow-hook plate mount. It works if it's more of a parking issue.

Also, what color is your car? The all black Sox plate on a black car is actually really low-key and almost cool looking.

That's all I got... Now prepping for my ticket tomorrow
Appreciate 2
19x459.50
      07-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #22
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
the side mount does look like crap. for all these guys who obsess over their cars looking perfect, having an off center plate never made sense.

realize you said you researched this, but i went with carbonio and have had zero issues.

https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-m2...se-plate-mount
Me, too. Going on 21 months with it, and it's been great.
Appreciate 0