BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS: will it be like M3/M4 CS sitting on dealer lots or not ?

04-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #89
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Selling out in 6 months is not flying off dealer lots? Thats about the cadence that 1Ms sold out. I do remember having a good 6-8 months to buy 1Ms as they appeared. I think it was definitely harder, as there was never a glut of them at any one time, but there were cars available for a longer period.
Even more impressive, I would say that MOST (read a vast majority) have sold in the last 3 months in the US.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      04-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #90
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
They certainly did not fly off the lots....

I think people who bought them
a) had the cash
b) wanted the car
and most importantly
c) didn't care about the "value" proposition

and let's be real here - that's the perfect buyer and there is nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck View Post
Even more impressive, I would say that MOST (read a vast majority) have sold in the last 3 months in the US.
I'm sure everyone has a different opinion of flying off the lots, but only a fifth of the cars ever showed up for sale online/at dealers.
The others were all P1 and pre-sold. Some of these were also listed online giving the illusion of inventory.
In all, there were only 102 priority 3 and 4 cars; and those sold in the last 2-3 months as they reached dealers.

Last edited by f80_MG; 04-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Corrected priority numbers
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
MDuckie93.00
      04-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #91
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
I'm sure everyone has a different opinion of flying off the lots, but only a fifth of the cars ever showed up for sale online/at dealers.
The others were all P1 and pre-sold. Some of these were also listed online giving the illusion of inventory.
In all, there were only 102 priority 2 and 3 cars; and those sold in the last 2-3 months as they reached dealers.
Good point. That was essentially what I was getting at, regarding the cars that were not already accounted for as P1.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #92
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
In all, there were only 102 priority 2 and 3 cars; and those sold in the last 2-3 months as they reached dealers.
I'm not sure every P1 car was an actual customer order, FYI. The car I intercepted that was in transit to a dealer was marked as P1, but the customer name was just the name of the dealership, and it had base options.

I think some dealers just put the orders in as P1 even though they really weren't.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #93
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
They certainly did not fly off the lots....

I think people who bought them
a) had the cash
b) wanted the car
and most importantly
c) didn't care about the "value" proposition

and let's be real here - that's the perfect buyer and there is nothing wrong with that.
Value proposition....that's one of the main reasons why a lot of people bought these cars. Because the value was there.

You guys crack me up.

Last edited by ptgltw; 04-16-2021 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 6
      04-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #94
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
I'm not sure every P1 car was an actual customer order, FYI. The car I intercepted that was in transit to a dealer was marked as P1, but the customer name was just the name of the dealership, and it had base options.

I think some dealers just put the orders in as P1 even though they really weren't.
True. ~55 P1 cars were listed online, no real way to tell which ones were presold and which ones were ordered that way because they knew they were going to ask for ADMs.
Both Bloomfield cars were P1's (not pre sold), same with Alexandria, Sterling etc. - all who asked for 10k ADM or over.
It's an estimate at best.
On the other hand, not every P3, P4 sat at the dealer, some were sold while in transit/while being built.
Somewhat evens out.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #95
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Value proposition....that's one of the reasons why a lot of people bought these cars. Because the value was there.

You guys crack me up.
I am glad you said it, as I easily think the $20K difference from the Comp I would have speced is a bargain even without accounting for the driving and handling characteristics. In addition, something a lot of people tend to forget is the depreciation being far more flat on the CS vs Comp, in the long term.
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      04-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #96
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
True. ~55 P1 cars were listed online, no real way to tell which ones were presold and which ones were ordered that way because they knew they were going to ask for ADMs.
Both Bloomfield cars were P1's (not pre sold), same with Alexandria, Sterling etc. - all who asked for 10k ADM or over.
It's an estimate at best.
On the other hand, not every P3, P4 sat at the dealer, some were sold while in transit/while being built.
Somewhat evens out.
Yeah i think if a limited run car is completely sold out within 3-4 months (which is what basically happened here), that is the definition of "flew off of dealer lots" in my opinion.

There are always going to be people who think this car is overpriced and express that opinion via these threads, but it sold out quickly and new buyers are asking to buy second hand cars, so these detractors will shift more and more to the minority.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #97
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck View Post
I am glad you said it, as I easily think the $20K difference from the Comp I would have speced is a bargain even without accounting for the driving and handling characteristics. In addition, something a lot of people tend to forget is the depreciation being far more flat on the CS vs Comp, in the long term.
I wish they would have made a $150,000 M2 CS.

1/2 cage
CF seats
CF Body Panels
Better Brakes etc.
Limit it to 300 ish cars worldwide.

I would have bought that.

But they made a more standard car for the masses to to speak and obviously I'm ok with that also. Because it's a limited run, performer.
      04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #98
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
I wish they would have made a $150,000 M2 CS.

1/2 cage
CF seats
CF Body Panels
Better Brakes etc.
Limit it to 300 ish cars worldwide.

I would have bought that.

But they made a more standard car for the masses to to speak and obviously I'm ok with that also. Because it's a limited run, performer.
The million dollar ($400k) question is... if they made the CSL with those specs next month, would you buy it and own all three versions of the M2 CS?
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      04-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #99
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

The cars are sold, and we were able to buy them and most of us got the configuration we wanted. Who cares about all the other noise. Did I like to concept of the M2 since it came out? Yes, but I found it also somewhat lackluster for MY personal taste. The CS was just what I wanted and I knew exactly what combo .... or bust. I could've gotten a different color locally but I wanted Misano. What will happen in the future, I don't know and don't care because it will take away from the sheer fun this car provides.
Appreciate 4
      04-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #100
6CylindersEveryDay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS, VW Golf R

Quote:
That's pretty crazy, I'm actually shocked that I somehow ended up with a manual at MSRP in the MB/Gold configuration that I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #101
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmed Out View Post
Ah, you are the one.
Or should I say more valuable transmission....but....prices of 1970 SS Chevelles are all over place regardless of the vaunted M-22 4 speed option being selected...or convertible or what big block engine it has. I think overall the manuals will be more 'valuable', but if they're hard to find, people that still want the car of their dreams will settle for the automatic and still pay a premium.

It seems that the CS didn't really sit on lots all that much though. It may be expensive, but compared to other M2s. The CS still costs less than loaded up M4s and P-cars. I think it's a good deal and worth the cost.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #102
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylindersEveryDay View Post
That's pretty crazy, I'm actually shocked that I somehow ended up with a manual at MSRP in the MB/Gold configuration that I wanted.
I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think the majority of CS' sold at MSRP or a slight discount.
The ADM cars get highlighted because that's what people seem to remember just like bad reviews.
The last remaining cars aren't going for a discount, but instead I know a few early buyers who were able to secure healthy discounts because some dealers were still hesitant and did not know how the market would react (likely also remembering their experiences with the M3/4 CS/GTS days).
Oh well, congratulations for securing your desired spec at the right price.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #103
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think the majority of CS' sold at MSRP or a slight discount.
The ADM cars get highlighted because that's what people seem to remember just like bad reviews.
The last remaining cars aren't going for a discount, but instead I know a few early buyers who were able to secure healthy discounts because some dealers were still hesitant and did not know how the market would react (likely also remembering their experiences with the M3/4 CS/GTS days).
Oh well, congratulations for securing your desired spec at the right price.
The ADMs came in at the end as more YouTube videos came out and well known motoring personalities (Rokr and Chris Harris) bought one. You had plenty of time between EVO Car of the Year magazine issue and the ADMs to buy one for MSRP or even a discount.

I guess people don't read magazines anymore
Appreciate 1
f80_MG562.50
      04-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #104
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

You could pretty easily get one through most of January at MSRP if you wanted one, and that was after a few solid reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #105
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

You all are lucky bastards!

You all got your desired spec in the car that many are calling the best M car of all time.

I also think it's gotta be incredibly satisfying to own something that many pooh-pooh'ed, only to have your original vision validated. I can only imagine how great it is to be someone who bought the 1M when it originally came out.

"That thing? It's ugly. It's not a real M car. It has what engine? Oh, please... Does it even have a carbon roof? Go buy a REAL M car." And now they sell for more than they cost when new.

(Inb4 "If you want a real investment, put your money in a mutual fund." No! That's stupid! That ignores human utility. We buy things, we collect things, because we love those things, and they bring us joy. And when those things appreciate over time, in spite of the inexorable laws of depreciation, it serves as further social proof and validation of our love of that thing!)

I briefly thought about buying the M2CS. Problem is that we're about to spend $200k renovating the house. Wife would kill me if one day she looked at the bank account and realized I'd spent the money for kids' room on another car.

Y'all are lucky bastards.
Appreciate 8
f80_MG562.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
Tornado1M1209.00
Brandt51868.00
Davil6482.50
2taCoS279.00
Fuji550i389.50
      04-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #106
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
(Inb4 "If you want a real investment, put your money in a mutual fund." No! That's stupid! That ignores human utility. We buy things, we collect things, because we love those things, and they bring us joy. And when those things appreciate over time, in spite of the inexorable laws of depreciation, it serves as further social proof and validation of our love of that thing!)
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      04-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #107
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
I think most of the ADM cars never even get mentioned. People who pay ADM are often not BP members/readers. And if they are, they don't want to get flamed for paying ADM, so they don't "out" themselves.
Appreciate 1
f80_MG562.50
      04-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #108
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Selling out in 6 months is not flying off dealer lots? Thats about the cadence that 1Ms sold out. I do remember having a good 6-8 months to buy 1Ms as they appeared. I think it was definitely harder, as there was never a glut of them at any one time, but there were cars available for a longer period.
No - selling (and they are not sold out yet) in 6 months for how many cars? That is certainly NOT flying off the lot.

And you are mistaken - that is not the cadence the 1M sold out. 1Ms were NOT available for that long - by the time people even started to realize what was out there it was too late (ahem, I was one of them who this happened to).

Quote:
Value proposition....that's one of the main reasons why a lot of people bought these cars. Because the value was there.

You guys crack me up.
Wow, the M2CS is a good value? Maybe here on the M2CS board it is, but most of the rest of the world would not agree with that. The M2C was a better value by far. You can add up all the things the M2CS had, but seriously, a carbon hood/roof is not of "value" to sane folks
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #109
jessief29812
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmed Out View Post
Quote:
I think most of the ADM cars never even get mentioned. People who pay ADM are often not BP members/readers. And if they are, they don't want to get flamed for paying ADM, so they don't "out" themselves.
I paid ADM ~$2,000 but I honestly didn't have a choice. It was one of the last few MB with Gold wheels in the Bay Area. A lot of west coast dealers were marking up these cars anywhere from $5,000-$40,000 which IMO is insane. My car was being marked up $10,000 and the lowest I could talk them down was at that price but financing was amazing giving me a great interest rate so I bit my tongue and ended up buying. Looking back, I have 0 regrets as I wouldn't have been able to get this spec for any less. And now they're sold out. Used market is already seems strong for these but I honestly don't think I could sell this car even if someone offered me more than what I paid. It brings so much joy to drive it.
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      04-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #110
jessief29812
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
No - selling (and they are not sold out yet) in 6 months for how many cars? That is certainly NOT flying off the lot.

And you are mistaken - that is not the cadence the 1M sold out. 1Ms were NOT available for that long - by the time people even started to realize what was out there it was too late (ahem, I was one of them who this happened to).

Quote:

You guys crack me up.
Wow, the M2CS is a good value? Maybe here on the M2CS board it is, but most of the rest of the world would not agree with that. The M2C was a better value by far. You can add up all the things the M2CS had, but seriously, a carbon hood/roof is not of "value" to sane folks
I disagree with this statement. I've got nothing but love from many car enthusiasts who own cars of all types who say the CS is the last great BMW. This car will go down in BMWs history.

Lastly, I was going to buy a Comp but when I added up the mods I wanted to get, the price was close to 80k+. Those mods don't add a ton of value to the car either. You'll have to part out or sell the car as is and take a hit on the resale, vs a CS. This car will hold its value over time and won't depreciate at the same rate. So there is value here.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50