BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > UK - OG M2 road & track

06-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #23
Sam-R
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Oh and i forgot to mention the M2 modded is now 8 whole seconds quicker than stock, with a virtual best another 4 seconds quicker than that
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #24
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Absolutely love this build. I do have one question though, and it's been a topic of debate and I'm sorry if I'm opening a can of worms.

The Schroth 4 points, I thought they were designed for stock seats. Is there an increased safety concern using them on your Recaros? I understand the whole ASM technology and not arguing about that here, but I was under the impression they were only tested and approved for use with the OEM BMW seats.

Keep up the amazing work! The track photos are also phenomenal.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      06-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #25
HELROTM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1995 e36 M3

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #26
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Was that an Estoril e46 M3?!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #27
MikeD9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Great job and driving! Also thank you for listing your mods, ordering the same front splitter tonight
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #28
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Absolutely love this build. I do have one question though, and it's been a topic of debate and I'm sorry if I'm opening a can of worms.

The Schroth 4 points, I thought they were designed for stock seats. Is there an increased safety concern using them on your Recaros? I understand the whole ASM technology and not arguing about that here, but I was under the impression they were only tested and approved for use with the OEM BMW seats.

Keep up the amazing work! The track photos are also phenomenal.
Not that I'm aware of, don't usually fit a harness to a reclining factory seat.
Think you may be confused with the quick-fit kit that is for the e46 ? This is just an off the shelf 4 point saloon car kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELROTM3 View Post
Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Was that an Estoril e46 M3?!
Yes it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD9 View Post
Great job and driving! Also thank you for listing your mods, ordering the same front splitter tonight
Glad could be of help.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #29
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Sam

I am not a tracker, but I have enjoyed the hell out of your journey as someone who takes tracking seriously . . . and has clearly gone the distance toward making his M2 a "track car."

Just out of curiosity, have you had the opportunity to compare your original time with stock set-up compared to your current set-up? Compared to your best times in the M3?

My apologies if you mentioned this in one of your posts, but I get a bit lost in the technical talk . . . admittedly, just took mostly a pictorial tour of your posts and journey.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #30
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Hey thanks for such a great write up!

Did the powerflex bushing do a lot to how the car feels? Did a lot of the side to side sway go away on corner exit and acceleration?

How about the K&Ws... bounciness gone?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #31
Flashstar
Brand New
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I thought the Internet would end while all the photos were uploaded.
      06-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #32
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Great build.

Have you thought about upgrading to a more track-focused suspension like Ohlins or Moton?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #33
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

That was enjoyable to read, nice writeup!
I was expecting you to say it still wouldn't be as fast as your E46 so was very surprised to read that after those few modifications it was already faster! Would the lap be quicker due to mainly being faster down the straights or is the M2 as fast as the 46 through the twists too?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #34
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

super cool OP!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #35
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Awesome build. I love these kind of builds.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:48 AM   #36
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-R View Post
April 2020

Chucked some Powerflex bushes in before the coilovers went on, front ARB bush in black series & front radius arm bush (these only come in black) there was also the option that adds half a degree of caster but felt that would be more hassle than it was worth to set up and keep in check.

Came up against a bit of a fitting hurdle on the front arm, here's how they're suppose to go to save me explaining

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/1-5-4001 FI-min.pdf

Pressed the bushes into the arm then the steel insert/sleeve and noticed that the sleeve sat proud of the bush on both sides.
Turns out the insert was too long meaning you couldn't get the supplied washers in either side, by this point there was no return so had to fit them and hope for the best.... typically my best hopes didn't come true.

Untitled by M2 ClubSport, on Flickr

Was a 5mm gap meaning the arm could move, both sides had shot forward and stayed there but I wasn't prepared to leave it at that.

Had 2 options to get over this problem, didn't fancy trying to loose 5mm off the metal sleeve with my angle grinder as it would need to be 100% flat/straight so I opted to drill out the washer to 25mm so they could slip over the sleeve and fill the void.

Worked a treat

Emailed the director of Powerlfex to bring the problem to light. They're going to shorten the sleeves by 5mm (how they were meant to be in the first place) they were also willing to post me out some new washers and sleeves but we were both confident my fix would have the same end result, saves me doing the job for the 3rd time, and as they offer a good warranty I can always address it again down the line if need be.
Does this make a huge difference?

I found real geo made biggest diff w c/o and corner weighing.

Before any of this car drove like vw bus.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #37
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Awesome build! Definitely inspiring. So If I'm reading correctly, you can run the KW clubsport directly on an M2c without any further modification due to the M4 CF strut? Are you running the recommended M4 settings or adjusted anything for the M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:44 AM   #38
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Aluminum Brace

Awesome modifications, just wanted to note that the aluminum strut brace fits in without cutting or other modifications, at least for those on the other side of the pond with left hand steering. So at least for those of us in the US who are making this improvement it is probably best to install the aluminum brace intact.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #39
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Sam

I am not a tracker, but I have enjoyed the hell out of your journey as someone who takes tracking seriously . . . and has clearly gone the distance toward making his M2 a "track car."

Just out of curiosity, have you had the opportunity to compare your original time with stock set-up compared to your current set-up? Compared to your best times in the M3?

My apologies if you mentioned this in one of your posts, but I get a bit lost in the technical talk . . . admittedly, just took mostly a pictorial tour of your posts and journey.

///AVM
Thank you, yes have all the times

Bedford GT -

M2 stock - 2:52
M2 modified - 2:44
(virtual best of 2:40 showing I need a lot more seat time)

M3 with decent LSD and road tyres - 2:45
M3 with disappointing under performing Wavtrac diff on slicks - 2:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Hey thanks for such a great write up!

Did the powerflex bushing do a lot to how the car feels? Did a lot of the side to side sway go away on corner exit and acceleration?

How about the K&Ws... bounciness gone?
To be honest all the differences has come from KW's, the powerflex are there to make sure bushes can take the abuse.

Ride is still a bit choppy to be expected but probably no worse than stock. Softening the damper from track setup really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashstar View Post

I thought the Internet would end while all the photos were uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
Great build.

Have you thought about upgrading to a more track-focused suspension like Ohlins or Moton?
Came from a track focused setup on my M3 and I hated using it on the road. M2 had to be enjoyable on both and the KW clubsports do that perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
That was enjoyable to read, nice writeup!
I was expecting you to say it still wouldn't be as fast as your E46 so was very surprised to read that after those few modifications it was already faster! Would the lap be quicker due to mainly being faster down the straights or is the M2 as fast as the 46 through the twists too?
I'd say with some more seat time the car and I will have M3 corner speed if not more.
Combo of the straight speed, DCT and the fact it can ride curbs smoother and faster all my benchmark M3 times should get beaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
super cool OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Awesome build. I love these kind of builds.
Thank you
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      07-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #40
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Does this make a huge difference?

I found real geo made biggest diff w c/o and corner weighing.

Before any of this car drove like vw bus.
As said above not massive from just bushes, especially as stock were still in good condition.

A good geo can make the world of difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Awesome build! Definitely inspiring. So If I'm reading correctly, you can run the KW clubsport directly on an M2c without any further modification due to the M4 CF strut? Are you running the recommended M4 settings or adjusted anything for the M2?
KW clubsport 2-way for an F80/F82 M3/M4 on an original M2

Believe this kit fits with the stock steel M2 brace as well, but yes it enabled me to run the carbon brace.

Went for the M4 kit as seems the M2 kit only comes in 3-way which is £1200 more and more adjustment that I need for a road/track day car.

And yes KW click recommendations for the M4 as weight is not much between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
Awesome modifications, just wanted to note that the aluminum strut brace fits in without cutting or other modifications, at least for those on the other side of the pond with left hand steering. So at least for those of us in the US who are making this improvement it is probably best to install the aluminum brace intact.
Probably the case there being LHD if the ABS unit and piping is in a different placement to mine as that was the main foul on mine
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      07-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #41
OzWoz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 6MT

Great read Sam, good to see the journey from stock to now.

Of all the work you've done, I'll ask the lamest question but..that front lip is something I want. Could you tell me the ground clearance at the middle of it and how low you've taken the KW setup. Driving here in Sydney can be like doing 70mph over a goat track, not to mention speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #42
Sam-R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWoz View Post
Great read Sam, good to see the journey from stock to now.

Of all the work you've done, I'll ask the lamest question but..that front lip is something I want. Could you tell me the ground clearance at the middle of it and how low you've taken the KW setup. Driving here in Sydney can be like doing 70mph over a goat track, not to mention speed bumps.
Thank you

Splitter is from here : https://restore44.co.uk/products/bmw...er-coming-soon

As for all the measurements I'm with the car at the moment but I can confirm it can take a beating and still looks good as new.
Appreciate 1
OzWoz75.00
      07-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #43
Micke_B
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Nice car! I'm thinking about a similar wheel/tire setup as you. Do you think a square Protrac ONE 18x10 ET25 265 or even 275 would fit the M2 Competition with only some additional negative camber?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:00 PM   #44
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-R View Post
KW clubsport 2-way for an F80/F82 M3/M4 on an original M2

Believe this kit fits with the stock steel M2 brace as well, but yes it enabled me to run the carbon brace.

Went for the M4 kit as seems the M2 kit only comes in 3-way which is £1200 more and more adjustment that I need for a road/track day car.

And yes KW click recommendations for the M4 as weight is not much in between
Would this also be the case if I were to get a F82 V3 kit for my OG M2?
Appreciate 0