BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rattles?

02-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #243
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
just started getting a rattle in the back seat at about 8000km it only happens when i go over a bump, super annoying. I tried putting the seats down and it didn't fix it. I'm going to have to take her in.
This sounds like what I'm experiencing. Any luck fixing it?
BMW replaced the rear area behind the trunk (twice). It's a known issue in the m2. Covered under warranty.
      02-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #244
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
just started getting a rattle in the back seat at about 8000km it only happens when i go over a bump, super annoying. I tried putting the seats down and it didn't fix it. I'm going to have to take her in.
BMW replaced the rear area behind the trunk (twice). It's a known issue in the m2. Covered under warranty.
Do you mean some of the panels in the trunk?
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #245
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean some of the panels in the trunk?
It's the cloth thing right behind the rear headrests.
      03-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #246
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
This is a good thread. I'll add mine.
There is rattling/buzzing noise coming from the rear, somewhere along the roof. The car vibrates around 3000RPMs (MPE) and that's what triggers it.
I'll take a look at the third brake light cover as someone mentioned but it sounds like it's coming from the roofliner light or inside of the roof (I have sunroof).
have you ever fixed this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #247
annabellapizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8oldmarsh View Post
Dear all, my 2017 330i recently has some weird things happened to her ... when I charge my mobile phone I got warning saying the “front high beam light malfunction” and “SOS calls disabled”. When I parked the car and shut the power down, I heard thumping noise like heartbeat, the noise went away after a few minutes. The next morning when I started the car all is normal, but when I starting plug my mobile phone charge via USB port, the same warning signals come back in a few minutes. It is so weird and wonder why? I took the car to a local BMW repair shop, they could not find anything wrong with the electrical system. Does anyone here experience similar thing? Otherwise the car runs great . I only put 32K on it. Thanks a lot. George
maybe try a different charging cable lol
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #248
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
have you ever fixed this issue?
Not completely but found the source. I bought the car used (with 3k miles) but apparently the sunroof was previously shattered and replaced. The glass shards were not completely cleaned from the liner so now they rattle.
One of these days I'll take the headliner down and clean it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #249
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

My car just developed this rattle sound around the area of the passenger’s door (LHD). Does someone have any idea what can cause this and how to fix it?

Last edited by squixs; 04-08-2021 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #250
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

One month before my warranty ran out the car developed a cold start rattle. Took it in, they found a crack, looks like I'm getting a new muffler!
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #251
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I got rattles. 2016 car.

Generally accepting of them for what the car is though
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #252
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I’ve got one under the car that sounds like something shakes when I step on the clutch. Any idea guys?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #253
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
behind the rear headrests.
I have a small rattle in this area are but on passenger side only. What cloth thing?
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #254
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
For anyone that still has the high frequency wasp like noise when under say 2krpm Coming from the passenger seat think I have fixed it by putting two cable ties around the white ecu under the passenger seat.

The rattle seemed to be coming from the ecu casing rattling with its insides, so I just tied the cable ties around the whole unit to compress it ever so slightly and it seems to have fixed it
The dreaded passenger seat rattle.

The dealer took a swing at it that stopped it for half a day.

My first swing at stopping this was using a foam pad to put pressure on the cables that are directly behind this white box as that provided the best results on mine. I’m about to try your tactic as well as I also noticed that the guts of the white box appear to be the culprit.

Sadly, I seem to have all the common issues mentioned in this thread but the most annoying is the HVAC/NAV Rattle.

I thought I remembered someone posting a video of that one a while back but I can’t seem to find it now. Has anyone else successfully addressed this one?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:11 AM   #255
Andy.M2
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Rattles in mine are mainly from lower passenger door and rear deck lid from the left side (I guess this is the plastic cover of that hided mount point that rattles when the car shakes - the plastic cover is very thin and it bounce making that noise...I guess)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #256
IREALITY
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 and x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Hey, just wondering if anybody has any rattles so far on their M2. I have been hearing a tiny "click" sound on the front passenger side (door perhaps?) every time the the front wheel on that side goes over a small bump. Its not always the case though as I only hear it from time to time. I have removed everything on the car. Noise is still there. Aside from that, the car is rock solid and amazing to drive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Hey, just wondering if anybody has any rattles so far on their M2. I have been hearing a tiny "click" sound on the front passenger side (door perhaps?) every time the the front wheel on that side goes over a small bump. Its not always the case though as I only hear it from time to time. I have removed everything on the car. Noise is still there. Aside from that, the car is rock solid and amazing to drive!
Be safe man!
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #257
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

I had a lot of rattles/buzzing that would sound off inside the car just from the exhaust noise/rumble or a shitty road surface causing vibrations. EXTREMELY annoying. I find that most rattles come from the door panels & passenger side trim (a LOT come from there.)

Couple of others:

Annoying buzz that I thought was coming from the passenger door or footwell. Turns out it wasn't there at all. It was coming from the plastic housing behind the rearview mirror.

Took this off & installed that sticky door insulation foam you get at home depot inside the plastic parts. Went around the perimeter that sits against the glass, with the foam mounted so it sits slightly above the edge by the glass so the plastic doesn't touch it. Also put one strip on the inside of one half, down the middle where the 2 pieces join. That way when they are joined back together, the foam dampens the joint. Totally got rid of the last buzz/rattle!!!

The CF center console - big rattle/buzz coming from this. Took that off, foam around the edges where it abuts the plastic trim.

Took off the A-pillar trim & again, installed the same foam along the edges.

Passenger side kick panel in the footwell. Took that off, lined the back with Kilmat. Again, installed that foam insulation where it meets other plastic parts.

Panel below the glove box. Took that off, Kilmat & used the foam insulation strips again. No more rattle against other plastic.

Passenger & driver door (when I installed the new speakers) Tightened all of the nuts that are on the door behind the trim panel. Not sure those were the source of any rattles, but tightened them since I was there.

When I installed the stereo & ran wires, etc... I also checked all plastic parts where they met & if by tapping lightly I heard a rattle, I put that foam insulating strip there.

I discovered these recently & by accident really, as one of the last sources of rattles. The fastener in the door that holds the screw behind the door handle. Both of these were very, very loose & spun when I tried to take the screw out. Eventually got the screw out - but the fastener was shot. Bought new ones, reinstalled, and the last rattle is gone.

Only noise in my cabin now come from the road, the exhaust, the stereo & my squeals of delight.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 06:53 PM   #258
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Photos? 😷

I put my extra cuts deadening mats behind the doors too when I changed my front speakers too. Especially behind the cup holders, rather thin and hollow there.

What’s that foam you’ve used though? Was it easy popping that panel behind the rear view mirror?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:13 PM   #259
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Photos? 😷

I put my extra cuts deadening mats behind the doors too when I changed my front speakers too. Especially behind the cup holders, rather thin and hollow there.

What’s that foam you’ve used though? Was it easy popping that panel behind the rear view mirror?
I WISH I took pics when I installed all of the Kilmat! I put it under the rear seat & the rear floor. Lined the trunk with it too. On the doors, I put it on the door itself; it really did deaden the door. Went from sounding hollow to a nice solid thud. I removed the glove box & lined the back of that as well - another source of buzz/rattle. It sounds great when you close it. LOL Whodathunk something so stupid would be so gratifying.

I attached a pic of the foam door seal stuff. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot - Frost King makes it. The adhesive side is way stickier than it feels to your fingers - it holds well.

It is pretty easy to disassemble the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror. YouTube video of a dude disassembling - FF to 2:11:

Once you have the 2 pieces apart you will understand how I described where I put the foam. For real - it totally shuts that thing up, no more rattle.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
vrooooom325.00
      01-13-2022, 10:31 PM   #260
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

looks like those used for sealing drafty windows. Thanks.

U may have added another 100 lbs into the car? . I used the thinnest deadening material available locally. Yeah I understand what u mean about being gratifying.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 1
MASHCT618.00
      02-14-2022, 12:35 AM   #261
sfjm2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI 2018

Recently I've gotten a slight buzz/rattle at the cockpit area. Can't seem to identify where exactly it is coming from but it mostly happens when I am driving along rough road or speed strips.

Bringing it in to the dealership tomorrow to get stuff fixed and also will highlight to them this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #262
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
I had a horrrrrrible rattle from my center console. The dealer ended up replacing the entire unit at a point because they couldn't fix it. Other then that, nothing really. Occasional rattles happen from time to time
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #263
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfjm2 View Post
Recently I've gotten a slight buzz/rattle at the cockpit area. Can't seem to identify where exactly it is coming from but it mostly happens when I am driving along rough road or speed strips.

Bringing it in to the dealership tomorrow to get stuff fixed and also will highlight to them this issue.
Was the dealer able to find it - and if yes, what was it?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 11:38 PM   #264
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Rattles on passenger backseats when going into ugly roads or bumps. Anyone have the same problem?
Appreciate 0