BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CFRP roof of my M2 CS features a deformity - Replacement proposed

04-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #23
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.lor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to get some feedback and advice. I noticed today that the cfrp roof on my m2cs has a ripple/bulge deformity in it. It's hard to see in pictures but if you run your finger across the top of the roof you can definitely feel the bulge. Any other cs owners come across this? I park it in the garage at home and in a parking deck at work so it's not really exposed to any harsh conditions. I've made an appointment at my local bmw service center to get it checked out on Tuesday 04/20/21. I'll also try and call bmw USA customer support on Monday. I would think any repairs would be covered under warranty but it's scary to think that my whole roof might need to get replaced and I'm really bummed out about this. I'll follow up once I get more info from bmw.
Yikes! Was this something that developed over time or do you think it was delivered this way, but you just didn't notice it?
It was fine when I took delivery. I noticed it after I had left it out in the sun for a few hours while I was visiting friends. The roof panel was very hot to the touch. I'm thinking the carbon warped because of the heat? I didn't think this could happen, how does bmw expect us to enjoy our cars if we can't even leave it outside for a few hours.
If this is true and common or worse yet, widespread, BMW may have a class action on its hands. I mean, you don't pay all this money not to drive it on a beautiful sunny day
      04-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
It was fine when I took delivery. I noticed it after I had left it out in the sun for a few hours while I was visiting friends. The roof panel was very hot to the touch. I'm thinking the carbon warped because of the heat? I didn't think this could happen, how does bmw expect us to enjoy our cars if we can't even leave it outside for a few hours.
Was your car detailed ? Just asking to know whether some liquids may have been of any influence (possible adverse chemical reaction). I know that it's a (very) long shot, but just to rule out that possibility in the search for a sound explanation for a slightly/minorly 'warped' CF roof.

Remember that, according to insider info, BMW walked the extra mile for the M2 CS roof (see post #1 of this thread). We don't know what the roof received as treatment during the production stage till the car left the factory for transport, but apparently things didn't work out as initially planned.

Lots of M2 CS owners worldwide in all sorts of climates (hot/cold - dry/humid - regular/salty). Not heard about similar cases as yours.

Do you notice traces of scuffing or possible repairs on the car roof ? (hit during transport between factory and point of delivery ?).
      04-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #25
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

M2 CS. Biggest success ---> Biggest BMW buy back
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
No, the minorly warped roof of the M2 CS of forum member g.lor is likely a one-off. Cause yet to be determined.

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to get some feedback and advice. I noticed today that the cfrp roof on my m2cs has a ripple/bulge deformity in it. It's hard to see in pictures but if you run your finger across the top of the roof you can definitely feel the bulge. Any other cs owners come across this? I park it in the garage at home and in a parking deck at work so it's not really exposed to any harsh conditions. I've made an appointment at my local bmw service center to get it checked out on Tuesday 04/20/21. I'll also try and call bmw USA customer support on Monday. I would think any repairs would be covered under warranty but it's scary to think that my whole roof might need to get replaced and I'm really bummed out about this. I'll follow up once I get more info from bmw.

04-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #27
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Was your car detailed ? Just asking to know whether some liquids may have been of any influence (possible adverse chemical reaction). I know that it's a (very) long shot, but just to rule out that possibility in the search for a sound explanation for a slightly/minorly 'warped' CF roof.

Remember that, according to insider info, BMW walked the extra mile for the M2 CS roof (see post #1 of this thread). We don't know what the roof received as treatment during the production stage till the car left the factory for transport, but apparently things didn't work out as initially planned.

Lots of M2 CS owners worldwide in all sorts of climates (hot/cold - dry/humid - regular/salty). Not heard about similar cases as yours.

Do you notice traces of scuffing or possible repairs on the car roof ? (hit during transport between factory and point of delivery ?).
These are good points.. that def looks like a chemical reaction or a repair job gone bad.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Could always contact bmw NA to see what they say
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #29
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Very strange , since this is the only case known with such problems.
      04-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #30
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

So drive the car for two years and get a buy back . Got it 🥺👉🏽👈🏽
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep

g.lor, other hypothetical:

Name:  Running_Over_Lambo.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  Standing_RaceCar.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  96.2 KB

Though not as extraordinary as this one:

04-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #32
g.lor
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, no scuffing of any kind. No visible scratches. The roof looks perfect except for the bulges. I haven't had the car detailed yet though it really needs one with all the pollen.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:55 AM   #33
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Can you please take some photos outside the garage ? Under a clear sky with sun? g.lor
      04-22-2021, 03:12 AM   #34
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Just exiting a sydney summer when on occasion the temps hit 110F. CS Roof is schmick and the business.

I notably can't comment on cold weather but not expecting any issues with our light-ass winter coming up.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #35
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Just exiting a sydney summer when on occasion the temps hit 110F. CS Roof is schmick and the business.
I was going to mention this. Unlikely anything to do with weather.

It is a ridiculously cold 12° C (53° F) at 11pm now though. Winter in Autumn. I blame all cold weather on too much wind from the people of Melbourne. I will check my roof in the morning.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #36
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for all the helpful info!
Any update on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #37
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

A normal panel wouldn't have any issues with temp unless you're talking very extreme temps that would be burning the panel, like around an exhaust. That won't happen on this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #38
g.lor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Quote:
Thank you for all the helpful info!
Any update on this issue?
I dropped the car off at my service center yesterday, no updates yet
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #39
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevesteve View Post
It will be interesting to see what they say. It is difficult to speculate based on Internet pictures but your roof sure presents like a manufacturing defect and a rather large one. How they address it will be interesting to see, I know I would not want to be responsible for trying to source another panel, even more so the removal and installation process that would follow.

Metal to CF bonding is not a fun process the first time around, I can't imagine the headaches of removing the old panel and trying to get a new one in there cleanly and evenly.

This reminds me of why I have always been weary of the Lotus Elise. Lot's of bonded aluminum. Bonding works great when you do it in a sterile and temperature controlled environment with lot's of attention paid in the cleaning and prep phases. Do you trust some Joe Schmoe in the middle of England to really care enough to do this properly? I don't.
C8 is like that. I don't trust GM at all to execute that properly in the first couple years.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:11 AM   #40
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm sure there would be many who would refuse to send it back; count me as the first
      04-23-2021, 06:18 AM   #41
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I was going to mention this. Unlikely anything to do with weather.

It is a ridiculously cold 12° C (53° F) at 11pm now though. Winter in Autumn. I blame all cold weather on too much wind from the people of Melbourne. I will check my roof in the morning.
I was reading an article the other day suggesting Tasmania is getting closer to the mainland.

Apparently, Victoria really sucks, which goes to say you might very well be right Davil
Davil6464.50
      04-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I'm sure there would be many who would refuse to send it back; count me as the first
Not sure if you should jump into that conclusion that quick. The M2 CS is a way too damn good automotive gem to let go because of this. Ask yourself, would you break up with your all-new great 'love interest' after she tattooed a hideous beaver kidney grille with your name on her arm ?

If confirmed to be merely an aesthetic gremlin that happened prior to g.lor taking delivery, without adverse impact from a structural/functional point of view, I'd keep that M2 CS, but would inquire for a compensation in money or in kind (let BMW come forward with an offer).

For example, if a brand new BMW car incurs hail damage and gets repaired prior to taking delivery, BMW usually compensates the customer regardless the fact that the car got properly repaired (often a discount and extended warranty get granted).

If the phenomenon occurred post delivery, the situation becomes more complicated: what caused this weird phenomenon ? Is the irregularity related to some external factor post delivery, or does it consist of an intrinsic/inner 'defect' that was present before delivery (impossible or hard to notice back then) and that occurred post delivery (easy to notice now) ? Also, what to expect for the future: status quo or will it worsen ?

Hail damage ("Like a golf ball, it's more aerodynamic now..."):
Name:  Lambo_HailDamage.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  317.4 KB

Name:  M235i_HailDamage.png
Views: 621
Size:  1.27 MB
Poochie9103.00
      04-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #43
g.lor
Rep

Ok just spoke with my service advisor and they said my car will have to be sent to their body shop to have the roof replaced under warranty. Should I go ahead with this?
Appreciate 3
Jimjamz4560.50
Wah2778.50
      04-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #44
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Ok just spoke with my service advisor and they said my car will have to be sent to their body shop to have the roof replaced under warranty. Should I go ahead with this?
Sorry to hear. I was afraid that that was gonna be the verdict.

Very likely a PuMA has been or will be issued because of your car.

Any info about the possible cause ?

Almost certainly they'll also need to remove the front window and rear window during the operation.

Remember that, unlike other BMW M CF roofs, the M2 CS CF roof is a structurally integrated part of the car. The operation involves some invasive surgery.

Also inquire about option B: leave it the way it is, but get compensated. Value depreciation: if you ever sell the car with the existing roof, potential buyers will point out this aspect, likely requiring you to drop the resale price a couple of grand. Even also with the roof replaced, resale price of your car risks not to be the same as the one of an M2 CS that does not feature a roof replacement operation (the operation will be registered). The work and materials involved will set back BMW several grand. You could save them the complete operation and avoid long-term worries, by negotiating a trade-off (some money).