BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Oil Catch Can

06-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #45
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Supposedly people remove the can without removing the brace. Based on removal yesterday I think it's possible but I personally don't trust myself since I'm flimsy.

It took me 5-10min or so to remove the brace and I don't see an issue with removing the brace each time as it's super easy. I guess maybe not everyone has the tools and torque wrench handy.

I'm considering installing the Mishimoto drain plug/line and using the line to drain when needed.
Thanks. I just don't want to have to remove the brace every time. It would be nice if you could just unscrew the can. Do you think this is possible?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #46
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Quote:
Supposedly people remove the can without removing the brace. Based on removal yesterday I think it's possible but I personally don't trust myself since I'm flimsy.

It took me 5-10min or so to remove the brace and I don't see an issue with removing the brace each time as it's super easy. I guess maybe not everyone has the tools and torque wrench handy.

I'm considering installing the Mishimoto drain plug/line and using the line to drain when needed.
Thanks. I just don't want to have to remove the brace every time. It would be nice if you could just unscrew the can. Do you think this is possible?
I think it's possible to unscrew the can in the photo I took, and pull the can toward the camera/front of the car and bring it up in that gap. My hands are too big and I drop things easily so I didn't try.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #47
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Quote:
Smelled of oil, had some sludge in the bottom. This was on for maybe 2 months but only 1k miles or so.

Edit: Mishimoto oil catch can on an M2C
Can the Mishimoto OCC be removed (for draining/cleaning/inspection) without removing the carbon fiber strut brace??

Are the bolts for the brace single use only and need new ones every time removed?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #48
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
After running the BMS OCC for 3~months now with some mixed city/highway/aggressive driving, for my N55 M2 the inside was bone dry. It had a slight oil smell to it but there wasn't even 1 drop accumulated in the catch can.. Honestly don't know know how I feel about it in terms of if the OCC just isn't working or the N55 got no blow by LOL. I guess it's good news?
Appreciate 1
KevM2720.00
      07-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #49
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
After running the BMS OCC for 3~months now with some mixed city/highway/aggressive driving, for my N55 M2 the inside was bone dry. It had a slight oil smell to it but there wasn't even 1 drop accumulated in the catch can.. Honestly don't know know how I feel about it in terms of if the OCC just isn't working or the N55 got no blow by LOL. I guess it's good news?
Yep I've had the same experience with both N55 and the S55. Think they don't produce too much blow by. Maybe also depends on driving habits?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #50
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Yep I've had the same experience with both N55 and the S55. Think they don't produce too much blow by. Maybe also depends on driving habits?
Yea seems to be that way. I guess it is good news. My buddy has a 1M and even on his N54 his BMS OCC has always been bone dry like mine. Which surprised me TBH LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #51
debug
Rep
Drives: m2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Yea seems to be that way. I guess it is good news. My buddy has a 1M and even on his N54 his BMS OCC has always been bone dry like mine. Which surprised me TBH LOL.
Yesterday, I decided to unscrew the can to visually check for any residue because a week ago I used the petcock valve to drain the can and got nothing draining. For the past two weeks, I assumed I would have some oil collecting in the can.

To my surprise, my can was dry - not even a drop of oil. My Type R has an insane amount of blow-by (1k will leave about 2 ounces in the can, easily). Secondly, my driving has been a mix of city and highway driving, with about 80% of this total consisting of city driving

I am wondering if BMW made some changes to correct blow-by.
Appreciate 2
tenkies147.00
      07-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #52
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by debug View Post
Yesterday, I decided to unscrew the can to visually check for any residue because a week ago I used the petcock valve to drain the can and got nothing draining. For the past two weeks, I assumed I would have some oil collecting in the can.

To my surprise, my can was dry - not even a drop of oil. My Type R has an insane amount of blow-by (1k will leave about 2 ounces in the can, easily). Secondly, my driving has been a mix of city and highway driving, with about 80% of this total consisting of city driving

I am wondering if BMW made some changes to correct blow-by.
I'm pretty sure they did. When I was looking to buy the OCC I think I saw a lot of people say it is not really an issue on the N55. But I decided to do it anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:12 AM   #53
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Very informative thread.

The MMR OCC looks so dope but heard it won't be a direct fit (plus shipping to AU)...

I found mishimoto has local branches and sells OCC for 335i/135i (2011-2013) which I believe is the base N55 variations, should it fit the F87 OG M2 without issues?

I'd like to hear feedback from mishimoto OCCs. TIA.

https://www.mishimoto.com.au/bmw-n55...2011-2013.html
      04-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #54
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Don't forget the pcv system on these cars have 2 routes, one is in the valve cover to turbo inlet. The next is in the head ports which pull vapors from the crank case directly into the valve area. So overall blow by is split between these two routes.

But if you don't see any blow by at all then it is likely your piston rings are sealed quite well and your car doesn't produce all that much blow by. That combined with the splitting effect of blow by between the head ports and the pcv valve makes it so oil catch cans don't catch anything because there is so little blow by in the first place even before splitting. This is why some N55's have super clean valves even at high mileage.
dli28610.50
      04-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #55
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
Very informative thread.

The MMR OCC looks so dope but heard it won't be a direct fit (plus shipping to AU)...

I found mishimoto has local branches and sells OCC for 335i/135i (2011-2013) which I believe is the base N55 variations, should it fit the F87 OG M2 without issues?

I have the MMR OCC installed to my 2017 LCI and it is direct fit.

Only the gap between the plastic engine cover and the engine block for the vent hose is a bit tight.

Also to disconnect and reconnect the return hose from the OCC is really PITA. I dropped the screw onto the stiffening plate. But this should be a common problem for all OCC installations.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:39 AM   #56
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Very informative thread.

Any catch can will work, as they simply function to separate the oil blow by vapors from the air. They do this by having baffles to change the air flow direction and thus force the oil out of suspension, and grates to help condense oil along with again trying to drop it out of suspension by allowing the air to flow faster than any oil vapor.

The problem is making those cans fit. IMO the best solution now would be the turner motorsports can, their reverse flow baffle is the best design not only making the air flow reverse direction really forcing that oil to drop out, but it integrates grates as well for even more oil separation. The hoses also sit in a way where water doesn't pool and freeze in the winter. The MMR can imo is not the best designed the baffling is pretty poor, iirc it is just a grate on a hole. The hose design also allows water to pool imo so not the best.

So yeah make sure you not only get a can with good baffling and air flow design otherwise the oil catch can will be essentially just for show and not able to catch anything.
      04-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #57
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Any catch can will work, as they simply function to separate the oil blow by vapors from the air. They do this by having baffles to change the air flow direction and thus force the oil out of suspension, and grates to help condense oil along with again trying to drop it out of suspension by allowing the air to flow faster than any oil vapor.

The problem is making those cans fit. IMO the best solution now would be the turner motorsports can, their reverse flow baffle is the best design not only making the air flow reverse direction really forcing that oil to drop out, but it integrates grates as well for even more oil separation. The hoses also sit in a way where water doesn't pool and freeze in the winter. The MMR can imo is not the best designed the baffling is pretty poor, iirc it is just a grate on a hole. The hose design also allows water to pool imo so not the best.

So yeah make sure you not only get a can with good baffling and air flow design otherwise the oil catch can will be essentially just for show and not able to catch anything.
Funny you should mention Turner. I just picked up Turner's OCC and was going to ask if adding some Steele wool into the can would help with separation or if it's not necessary?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #58
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
Funny you should mention Turner. I just picked up Turner's OCC and was going to ask if adding some Steele wool into the can would help with separation or if it's not necessary?
Yeah it'll help, I personally would only out it on the can inlet and not the outlet side so it would never get sucked into the motor.
tenkies147.00
      05-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #59
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Very informative thread.

I doubt the Mishimoto one would fit, looking at their pictures where it is mounted looks very very different compared to the M2. I would advise against it.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2022, 01:58 AM   #60
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Long term OCC updates anyone?

Reviving old thread! Can anyone comment as to their experience with long term use of OCC on either the N55 or the S55? Also if you've noticed any difference in what's in the OCC based on what engine oil it's used (ie NOACK score).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:43 AM   #61
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Reviving old thread! Can anyone comment as to their experience with long term use of OCC on either the N55 or the S55? Also if you've noticed any difference in what's in the OCC based on what engine oil it's used (ie NOACK score).
For the n55 the results are varying, some cars have alot of blow by, some cars have none. For the S55 it typically looks like there is always some blow by produced, it could be a result of the higher boost pressures it runs.

In terms of blow by vs. NOACK of oil this is very hard to quantify. Generally good oils are only a few percentage points different from one another so in a low mileage oil change interval the difference might be very small and hard to quantify. But it is still absolutely worth it to run a high quality oil with a low NOACK rating to ensure that long term effects do not add up.

Also these cars have head ports so some blow by does by pass the main pcv route and get sucked right into the intake tract, so results will always flucctuate. An oil catch can will still help reduce the carbon build up though, as it will catch the blow by produced via the standard pcv tract.

In summary an oil catch can doesn't hurt to have, especially if your car is one of the few that makes alot of blow by or you're starting to tune and increase boost as that will generally increase blow by production.
KevM2720.00
jefe2000716.00
      06-07-2022, 07:41 AM   #62
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Quote:
2017 with about 11k miles on it and I've never had to empty the canister. I have just a few dots of oil on the canister dipstick when I check it but not even enough to accumulate.
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
jefe2000716.00
      06-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #63
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Are these things any good at catching Snake Oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:21 PM   #64
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post

Revisited the thread before placing an order for the Turner F87 M2 OCC kit.

Thanks for the comment on the other thread (oil drain plug). I'd install the Turner OCC just for peace of mind even if the N55B30T0 does not produce much blow-by and suffer from carbon deposit (Direct Injection by design problem).

Fun fact: OCC on Fritz's M235i: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/z1BWR3yM7V8