BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Creaking brakes on the CS

04-21-2021, 01:47 AM   #1
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Creaking brakes on the CS

I suspect, due to the big sports brakes. Squeaking brakes in dry weather and when braking at low speed. Not on all wheels. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
Durham M2 CS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I suspect, due to the big sports brakes. Squeaking brakes in dry weather and when braking at low speed. Not on all wheels. Anyone else?
Me too.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Of course. But it is G rated squealing. In the distant past I ran race pads and sounded like a garbage truck pulling up at lights. I wanted to duck it was so embarrassing.

These are just the right amount of annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #4
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Do a few hard brakes, it seems to work for me. I haven't heard any noise in the last 3-4 times I've been out with the CS. I have the standard brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #5
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I have no squeaking at all on my CCB
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I have so much squeaking at slow speeds. First M car so I just accept it with a smile.

I need to do some brake bedding / hard stops
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
heusing240i
2018 M240i / BMS CAI / JB4 / Catless VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Misano Blue M2CS

I second this, a few things I've tried to help. Brake later (heavier), not safe for idiot drivers who don't pay attention so I only do it when I'm the only car around. Downshift to a stop if possible (brake less). Wash the car more often, eliminating brake dust (drive car around the block after to get rid of rust covering rotors). All SEEM to be helpful so far.

Hope this helps others
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - daily driver
HEUSING240i
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
dsforman13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

same as everyone else but i've also noticed if you do some hard braking it seems to go away. doesn't need to be crazy just wait a few extra seconds before braking for a red light. Also make sure there's not a moron behind you texting and not paying attention before attempting. ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
The very mild squeal is nothing compared to track brake pads, and just audible enough to make sure anyone nearby who's a car enthusiast knows that you are properly equipped, LOL
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      04-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #10
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Thanks for the responses. Good thing I'm not alone. I'll test your tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Sometimes a rough dragging noise (no squeal) of my 2NH brakes (M2C) during the first seconds when softly applying the brakes after long-term parking (several days or weeks), especially if the previous drive was in the rain. But that noise vanishes (back to normal) after braking a couple of times.

Sometimes even a "pop" when putting the car in motion in reverse (the sound of ending the 'kiss' between brake pads and rotors). You feel that the car doesn't move, so you apply the brakes a couple of times, apply a bit more power/force on the throttle followed by a 'pop' release + the car backing out of the long-term parking space.

I recall that in the past a forum member inquired how to avoid that 'pop'. It bothered him. The thread is somewhere in the archives.

Edit: retrieved the referenced thread: here.
      04-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
dsforman13
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Sometimes a rough dragging noise (no squeal) of my 2NH brakes (M2C) during the first seconds when softly applying the brakes after long-term parking (several days or weeks), especially if the previous drive was in the rain. But that noise vanishes (back to normal) after braking a couple of times.

Sometimes even a "pop" when putting the car in motion in reverse (the sound of ending the 'kiss' between brake pads and rotors). You feel that the car doesn't move, so you apply the brakes a couple of times, apply a bit more power/force in the throttle followed by a 'pop' release + the car backing out of the long-term parking space.

I recall that in the past a forum member inquired how to avoid that 'pop'. It bothered him. The thread is somewhere in the archives.

If we're talking about the same thing, I get the same noise "pop" only after washing the car and letting it sit over night. I put the car in drive and it doesn't move. Give it a little more gas and it "pops" free. almost like something was locked. Thought i broke the cars. Everything is fine afterwards. no dash lights or strange noises while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #13
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

Sometimes even a "pop" when putting the car in motion in reverse (the sound of ending the 'kiss' between brake pads and rotors). You feel that the car doesn't move, so you apply the brakes a couple of times, apply a bit more power/force in the throttle followed by a 'pop' release + the car backing out of the long-term parking space.

I think that the rough dragging noise is corrosion on the disks. It wears off after a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:

I've posted about the sound before. It's just the anti-rollback feature.
In DCT cars, if you shut off the engine almost as soon as you come to a stop, it will never happen.
The calipers engage when you come to a stop and hold the brake pedal (not sure of the exact time duration; and doesn't have to be on an incline). The 'pop' is just the 'sticky-ness' between the calipers and rotors coming undone when you try to move the car next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #15
dsforman13
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
I've posted about the sound before. It's just the anti-rollback feature.
In DCT cars, if you shut off the engine almost as soon as you come to a stop, it will never happen.
The calipers engage when you come to a stop and hold the brake pedal (not sure of the exact time duration; and doesn't have to be on an incline). The 'pop' is just the 'sticky-ness' between the calipers and rotors coming undone when you try to move the car next time.
i think what we are referring to is different than this. For me, its not when im driving. this is starting the car for the first time after being washed. not while im driving. if my car sit over night after being washed, when i start the car in the morning, put it in drive, the car rev's but doesnt move. when i apply more power, it pops and seems to break free. i read the link posted above and seem to understand what it is. Seems like something BMW should have addressed. I'm sure they experienced it while either driving in the rain or cold weather testing snow. Seems like im not the only one. Not that worried about it guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsforman13 View Post
If we're talking about the same thing, I get the same noise "pop" only after washing the car and letting it sit over night. I put the car in drive and it doesn't move. Give it a little more gas and it "pops" free. almost like something was locked. Thought i broke the cars. Everything is fine afterwards. no dash lights or strange noises while driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsforman13 View Post
For me, its not when im driving. this is starting the car for the first time after being washed. not while im driving. if my car sit over night after being washed, when i start the car in the morning, put it in drive, the car rev's but doesnt move. when i apply more power, it pops and seems to break free. i read the link posted above and seem to understand what it is. Seems like something BMW should have addressed. I'm sure they experienced it while either driving in the rain or cold weather testing snow. Seems like im not the only one. Not that worried about it guess.
Affirmative. The 'pop' only happens when I take my car for a drive after a couple of days or weeks after having parked my car with wet brakes (after washing or a drive in the rain/drizzle/snow). As I said before, the 'pop' (or 'bang') is the sound of 'ending the kiss' between brake pads and rotors.

The cringy part is when you feel that, after firing up the engine, the car does not move despite the gentle tick on the throttle for triggering the 'Low Speed Assistant' (activating 'creep mode' with an M-DCT) in reverse. You give a bit more gas and you know that the 'pop' is about to happen, setting you free (release). As if you're breaking something. But there is no alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think that the rough dragging noise is corrosion on the disks. It wears off after a few seconds.
Affirmative.

You'll notice folks around you with the facial expression "oops, that ain't sounding right", while that initial dragging noise is nothing to worry about. It rubs off after some regular braking - doesn't take long before things get back to normal and no aggressive braking required. It's more outspoken with the 2NH brakes than with the regular OG M2 and standard M2C brakes.

To get you an idea about the size difference between 2NH brakes (standard on M2 CS - optional on M2C) and standard brakes on the OG M2/M2C (all made by Brembo):
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
Braking: M2 CS steel brakes are much better than M3 CS and M2C.
I guess your M2C featured standard brakes (blue) ?

OG M2 brakes and standard M2C brakes are identical (blue).

M2 CS 2NH brakes (standard) and M2C 2NH brakes (optional) are identical, except for the caliper color (red versus grey).

BMW/Brembo 2NH front brake calipers (optional on M2C - standard on M2 CS)

Size difference of the 2NH front brake pads (made by Brembo & Pagid for BMW):

Rear:

Differences (video):