BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Got my first ticket, what's your experience.

04-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #45
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Nobody cares about your car.
Follow the rules and don't be like others. You are making the roads unsafe for others too.

I have an M2C and it is tempting to push the car and if I do I always keep it within the speed limits and only when it's completely safe.
I have noticed others can get offended too, even when you accelerate hard within speed limits I have had old people yell at me for nothing.

So I try to avoid provoking others but always stay in speed limits.
I don't even think the regular speed of traffic in San Diego is within the speed limit?
Sure but it doesn't mean that we all drive like those idiots. You can drive within limits, you have a choice.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #46
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
In Europe they run average speed cameras along highways . If you get from A to B too quickly you will get a nice bill in the mail.

They even sent me a ticket internationally months after the fact lol.

Basically set cruise to the speed limit in those places.
On my ED trip I was really careful everywhere but the autobahn. During the next 6 months I still received 3 tickets in the mail from Switzerland. Apparently BMW passes on the tickets...with an extra surcharge of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #47
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
Got swarmed by three cops the other night for "Accelerating and my exhaust being loud" (I was not speeding, "accelerating" or anything mind you but I did have it in sport mode"

After they talked amongst themselves for 10 minutes I got a fix it ticket for the window tint lol

La is really cracking down on street racing and modified cars so they had a bit of a hard on

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805010
Appreciate 2
KevinC3085.00
      04-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #48
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFEA View Post
Got swarmed by three cops the other night for "Accelerating and my exhaust being loud" (I was not speeding, "accelerating" or anything mind you but I did have it in sport mode"

After they talked amongst themselves for 10 minutes I got a fix it ticket for the window tint lol

La is really cracking down on street racing and modified cars so they had a bit of a hard on
I'll be sure to not open my exhaust valves in LA!
Appreciate 2
GFEA228.50
      04-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #49
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
On my ED trip I was really careful everywhere but the autobahn. During the next 6 months I still received 3 tickets in the mail from Switzerland. Apparently BMW passes on the tickets...with an extra surcharge of course.
Lol, if you have no reason to go back never pay. after 36 months it will disappear. Swiss is such BS w/ cameras and WAZE rules.
      04-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #50
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangaroo View Post
Just over a year ago right before the pandemic I was test driving an OG M2 at a dealer. Had a mate with me so the sales guy decided to just let us go alone so he didn't have to squeeze in the back. We take it out on some back roads and do a few little pulls. Just as I crest a hill I see a trooper come the other way. He immediately whipped around and turn on the lights. Wrote me up for 65 in a 45. The start of the pandemic pushed back my court date by 3 months. Eventually had my day in court and the judge looks at the ticket and asks me why I was going so fast. I tell him I was unfamiliar with the power of the car and wasn't paying attention to my speed. He looks back at the ticket and noticed it said BMW M2 and asks, "That's a nice car, so did you end up buying it?" I tell him, "No your honor, it was too much car for me." He smiled, told me he didn't want to ruin my record and downgraded it to a non-moving violation with no points.

A year later I ended up with my own M2 Competition and one of the first things I made sure to get was a radar detector.
Reminded me of my meeting with a state trooper on a test drive. I was test driving an M235i before I got mine and was doing some “let’s see what she can do within a reason” and passed by a state trooper on the median. I let off the accelerator, and got ready to find a safe spot to pull over and I was right by the dealership. I saw no lights on the trooper’s car so I proceed to the dealership, the trooper followed me. I pulled into a parking spot. The trooper was right behind me. I was a bit confused at this point, should I stay in the car? Should I go about my business? So I just decided to lower the windows, shut the car off and wait. Maybe a minute later the salesman came out, and the trooper came out of his vehicle. At this point I got out. I was about to open my mouth and start apologizing for being a bit of happy back there, and the trooper fires “So, how much is this thing?” The sales man “We can work out the numbers”. Me: “Can I get a discount bringing you new customers?”. The trooper told me just be careful.
      04-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #51
chefczyk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alfa 4C, Z3MC, S3 Fulvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
Reminded me of my meeting with a state trooper on a test drive. I was test driving an M235i before I got mine and was doing some “let’s see what she can do within a reason” and passed by a state trooper on the median. I let off the accelerator, and got ready to find a safe spot to pull over and I was right by the dealership. I saw no lights on the trooper’s car so I proceed to the dealership, the trooper followed me. I pulled into a parking spot. The trooper was right behind me. I was a bit confused at this point, should I stay in the car? Should I go about my business? So I just decided to lower the windows, shut the car off and wait. Maybe a minute later the salesman came out, and the trooper came out of his vehicle. At this point I got out. I was about to open my mouth and start apologizing for being a bit of happy back there, and the trooper fires “So, how much is this thing?” The sales man “We can work out the numbers”. Me: “Can I get a discount bringing you new customers?”. The trooper told me just be careful.

thats funny!

I pulled out on a wide, but 35-MPH road yesterday, ripped 1-2-50% of 3...was slowing down but saw a cop. AH CRAP I thought.

He followed me, pulled me over, but only got me for no front plate or inspection sticker (car was bought in a state that has neither). PHEW.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #52
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
This car in LBB is more of a cop magnet than say an F-350 4x4, but every cop is different. Some are out there for traffic enforcement (and income generation), others are out for different stuff. Although, I've never been let off in the 3 times I've been pulled over with the M2, I feel it's the luck of the draw. I've been let go 4 times by CHP in other vehicles. I also got let go for 95 in a 65 in my wife's Snapper Rocks Blue (similar to LBB) 440i with the top down after passing this same cop on the highway...but the wife was with me and I think he was more interested how an enlisted dude had a car and chick like I did. Play the cards you got!

Also, don't speed and you won't get pulled over.........
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #53
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
i was pulled over the 1st week of ownership. the i-drive system was more up to date than the roads! the officer told me it was a 45mph zone, but it wasn't posted, and that the last posted sign was 35, but the car told me I was in a 45mph zone, so he let me go.

2nd time, I didn't stop to turn on a red (apparently the law is to stop first, not yield). funny/dumb thing about that one is that the cop ran a red through a busy intersection to pull me over then give me a warning.

3rd time, i was driving "spiritedly" on a local back-road, that just happens to be in a national park. The roads are great(much better maintained than anything in town), it was 11:30pm, i was the only traffic. i was actually having so much fun earlier that night that i told myself "ill take the ticket today" (big mistake lol) i was clocked at 31mph over, had to go to court for being 30+ over.. i learned it costs about $450 to use national parks as your racetrack.

Track-days are much cheaper and safer than speeding on the local roads..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #54
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Yoda View Post
i was pulled over the 1st week of ownership. the i-drive system was more up to date than the roads! the officer told me it was a 45mph zone, but it wasn't posted, and that the last posted sign was 35, but the car told me I was in a 45mph zone, so he let me go.

2nd time, I didn't stop to turn on a red (apparently the law is to stop first, not yield). funny/dumb thing about that one is that the cop ran a red through a busy intersection to pull me over then give me a warning.

3rd time, i was driving "spiritedly" on a local back-road, that just happens to be in a national park. The roads are great(much better maintained than anything in town), it was 11:30pm, i was the only traffic. i was actually having so much fun earlier that night that i told myself "ill take the ticket today" (big mistake lol) i was clocked at 31mph over, had to go to court for being 30+ over.. i learned it costs about $450 to use national parks as your racetrack.

Track-days are much cheaper and safer than speeding on the local roads..
That cop was a real d*ck for not letting you slide the 2 mph that pushed you over the threshold.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #55
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInNewMexico View Post
Quote:
One thing that I think is important to remember is that speeding enforcement can vary a lot. While visiting relatives in the midwest I noticed how slow cars were going on the interstate (the speed limit). It didn't take me long to figure out why, I saw cars getting pulled over for going 6 or 7 mph over the speed limit. On SoCal freeways cars routinely drive 85 to 90 mph as a cruising speed. I'm talking about multiple lanes of traffic flowing that fast. In many places in Europe it's just impossible to speed without getting tickets. There are radar flashers all over the place. The upside is that in most places in Europe they don't have the driving record points system. You just pay and go unless you're racing or driving really fast. In that case you can bend over and kiss your license goodbye.
Interesting that other Midwest areas are so slow (Ohio I am looking at you). When I lived in Michigan prior to 2011, I was a consultant, so driving long distances around Detroit was part of the job. I would see folks going 100+ every single day. Most folks there speed that I have seen. If you are going the speed limit, you are impeding traffic and will cause complete chaos.
Truth here. It's kinda funny when driving south out of Michigan. As soon as you cross into Ohio every Michigan driver knows to take it down to 65mph. Those Ohio highway patrol cops love to pull over people from Michigan.

Also, can confirm that the lodge freeway is basically a race track.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2021, 04:03 AM   #56
dmcM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
One thing that I think is important to remember is that speeding enforcement can vary a lot. While visiting relatives in the midwest I noticed how slow cars were going on the interstate (the speed limit). It didn't take me long to figure out why, I saw cars getting pulled over for going 6 or 7 mph over the speed limit. On SoCal freeways cars routinely drive 85 to 90 mph as a cruising speed. I'm talking about multiple lanes of traffic flowing that fast. In many places in Europe it's just impossible to speed without getting tickets. There are radar flashers all over the place. The upside is that in most places in Europe they don't have the driving record points system. You just pay and go unless you're racing or driving really fast. In that case you can bend over and kiss your license goodbye.
Interesting that other Midwest areas are so slow (Ohio I am looking at you). When I lived in Michigan prior to 2011, I was a consultant, so driving long distances around Detroit was part of the job. I would see folks going 100+ every single day. Most folks there speed that I have seen. If you are going the speed limit, you are impeding traffic and will cause complete chaos.
Truth here. It's kinda funny when driving south out of Michigan. As soon as you cross into Ohio every Michigan driver knows to take it down to 65mph. Those Ohio highway patrol cops love to pull over people from Michigan.

Central Ohioan here, our stateys are always out in full force. One of the reasons is because quite a few of the highways are considered drug pipelines. Their is a task force for just US route 23 alone. Specially in the southern part of the state where I live.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #57
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Once I got ticket for doing 63 in a 55 in BFE North Dakota...cost $16 bucks....that's my cool story for the day.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #58
GregInNewMexico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! I won't post what speeds I did on the Lodge!
2006 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #59
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

late update: Lawyer got the case dismissed due to the cop not using radar or following to track my speed. cop assumed speed so he lost the case.
      04-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #60
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

I've never gotten pulled over in the M2 (knock on wood) yet.
But, I did get ticketed in just the 2nd day in the GT-R. Was having some fun with a GT3 until we both got lit up.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #61
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Anybody in SoCal who can refer me to a good lawyer/law firm? I got a speeding ticket, 65 in a 45, early in the year. He got me with radar and cut me zero slack. Seems like they started cracking down in the New Year (meanwhile criminals in California loot at will without repurcussions...).

I could either pay the fine and sign up for traffic school (so no points) or try and fight it/hope the cop doesn't show up to court and have it dismissed. If I choose the first option though, then I'd have to drive with my butt clenched for the next 15 or so months since I won't qualify for traffic school for another 15 months.

Now I stay within 5mph over on main roads. Hwy 80 tops. I'm more worried about my occasional canyon runs now, since I'd be f'ed with another ticket. It's difficult to enjoy those roads and my car as much now as a result.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-02-2022 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #62
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosao View Post
Funny this thread pops up. I got on a deserted small town road yesterday, with lots of twisties. Coming out of a turn, I punched it. Whoop whoop, comes a unmarked car with lights on behind me. Asked me why I was acting like a jackass (I wasn't besides having fun for approx. 5 seconds). Wound up letting me roll.

Usually when I get lit up, I pull over immediately, turn off my vehicle, put both hands on the wheel and don't fidget around. The police around here usually appreciate that enough to let you roll. I also conceal carry, so I always alert them that I have a firearm on me (as you're obligated to do) and I think they appreciate the gesture. YMMV.
Yah, I carry concealed in FL. Pulled over, hands on wheel. There's no obligation to tell the man, but I always do. So I tell him. His reply was, "OK, if you don't show me yours, I won't show you mine."
Let me go...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:09 PM   #63
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

With all the "Instant On" radars these days, I was told that all the radar detectors really do is tell you when to start pulling out your wallet... Sigh.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1265.00
      04-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #64
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

This is true if you are on an empty road, there will be no warning.
On a road with other traffic there should be some warning.

I don’t go more than 10mph over the limit when the road is clear.
I always love to have a car 1/2 mile up pushing the limit, I will follow them all day waiting to see if my detector goes off.

Don’t forget to look back at freeway entrances, sometimes the law looks down from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Comp/x7 View Post
With all the "Instant On" radars these days, I was told that all the radar detectors really do is tell you when to start pulling out your wallet... Sigh.

Last edited by Suds; 04-02-2022 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:39 PM   #65
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I never drive anywhere without Waze running, lost count how many times it's allowed me to slow down before seeing police. I don't even bother with a radar detector anymore.

IIRC, a couple radar detectors have crowd sourced apps as well, but no experience with them (Escort Live?)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #66
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Not necessarily true. Depends on where you are but most cops, at least around here don’t use instant on. They just leave it running. Also with instant on they still have to turn it on so if its a busier road then you have a rabbit (someone that is in front of you and got lit up), a good radar detector is very sensitive and will pick up the signal of instant on ahead and briefly warn you. Now for sure instant on is definitely hard one to detect but I rather run into I/O over laser. Laser, unless you have jammers (and even then) you are screwed
Appreciate 0