BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's talk dash cams..

04-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #23
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Completed the wire routing and camera mounting last night. Need to do the fuse taps yet as the ones in the kit didn't work with the fuse box. Will add some pics later.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #24
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Found this fuse and function list super useful when completing the wiring.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #25
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

I've had Rexing cams in my other two cars and went with the V1P this time to add 4k and wifi access. They've also added a parking mode that I'm curious to see how it does with the BMW electronics. The theory is that the cam runs off the ignition switched line and then shuts off with the car, but the g sensor in either the wiring harness or the cam will detect parking hits and powers on to record the next twenty seconds. Also has a low battery voltage cutoff protection built in. Hopefully I don't get any battery drain warnings off this setup. We'll see!
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #26
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I went with the blackboxmycar extended battery and hid it under the trunk cover. Utilizing the rear 12v socket rather than tapping into the fuse. Tapping the fuse isn't difficult at all either, but just didn't feel like it at the moment. Maybe I'll do it in a week when I have more free time.

Eitherway, doing it this way, when you run the cable, you will be short about 6in. when your'e tucking the main power cable, but nothing that a splice the cable and adding an extra ft and posi tapping the connections can't do.

Nevertheless, I think it came out great, and now I have a battery backup that'll allow over 36 hrs of continuous recording w/o having to utilize the main vehicle battery at all.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/c3s005K/63918611877...-C96687-E8.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/vZ3dwg6/63918611125...97-F744255.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/YyyYPtk/63918595241...C44-F476-A.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/5h3x9J4/63918594540...-D94-F6-DF.jpg[/img]
I see you have that $100 rear view mirror mount vs. sticking it on your window. How is the quality? Hold the Blackvue well without any shakes?

I am repurposing my Blackvue 900s 1-ch and also found the included 15' cigarette lighter cable less than a foot short when snaking it to the trunk DC adapter. Getting an extension as a fix.

Snaking the cord to the trunk cleanly is relatively easy and the power seems to remain live for 10 mins after the ignition is off so will skip the battery pack. Did you snake it to the drivers or passengers side?

I see that mount is new and expensive but may actually work well. Curious to hear your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #27
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

We always disconnect dashcams and do not plug them back in when we are done with working on a car. We let our customer's know and if they don't want it they can unplug it themselves or not have their car worked on.. simple as that.

It is not done for any other reason than to follow privacy laws in Europe and to secondly to ensure nothing is shown or said that could be proprietary or confidential. Lastly, I don't need a location getting bad reviews because a curse word was dropped and it's caught on camera. Everything/Anything ends up on social nowadays.

EDIT: I would flog one of my guys if they ever did anything more than a necessary test drive after repair or for diagnostics.

Last edited by M2C-NLUSA; 04-16-2021 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I've had Rexing cams in my other two cars and went with the V1P this time to add 4k and wifi access. They've also added a parking mode that I'm curious to see how it does with the BMW electronics. The theory is that the cam runs off the ignition switched line and then shuts off with the car, but the g sensor in either the wiring harness or the cam will detect parking hits and powers on to record the next twenty seconds. Also has a low battery voltage cutoff protection built in. Hopefully I don't get any battery drain warnings off this setup. We'll see!
I never noticed that my car has a 3rd breaklight there. Report back on how you like it. At some point I think I'm going to install a dashcam. I'd like a wifi feature that uploads content to cloud when I get home and it connects to network.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #29
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
I see you have that $100 rear view mirror mount vs. sticking it on your window. How is the quality? Hold the Blackvue well without any shakes?

I am repurposing my Blackvue 900s 1-ch and also found the included 15' cigarette lighter cable less than a foot short when snaking it to the trunk DC adapter. Getting an extension as a fix.

Snaking the cord to the trunk cleanly is relatively easy and the power seems to remain live for 10 mins after the ignition is off so will skip the battery pack. Did you snake it to the drivers or passengers side?

I see that mount is new and expensive but may actually work well. Curious to hear your thoughts!
I hate seeing anything stuck to my front windshield, so I've had a blendmount on all my cars. Heavy price to pay for the CS, but has to be done. I do wish it would mount higher and more forward, but because the mirror stalk has a sense/camera in it already, no way around that I suppose.

You can get 10mins, sure, but the battery pack will allow you to keep it running in parking mode while it's unattended. So if there were anything to occur in that time that you're away, you lost that protection by not hardwiring it, or running the extra battery.

I just bought a cigarette lighter extention, so I'll be putting the battery pack under my passenger seat. The nice thing about it is that it has a USB port on it, so at least I can have a charging cable connected to that rather than using the weirdly placed usb port on the CS center console behind the hand brake.

And, I snaked it all on the passenger side.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #30
kellyzerx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Completed the wire routing and camera mounting last night. Need to do the fuse taps yet as the ones in the kit didn't work with the fuse box. Will add some pics later.
On my old car I ran the cable all the way down to the 12v volt outlet. Then I measured the voltage at the dashcam end and realized I could cut the adapter off and wire straight into the mirror. There's an article somewhere on here about which pins to use.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #31
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I hate seeing anything stuck to my front windshield, so I've had a blendmount on all my cars. Heavy price to pay for the CS, but has to be done. I do wish it would mount higher and more forward, but because the mirror stalk has a sense/camera in it already, no way around that I suppose.

You can get 10mins, sure, but the battery pack will allow you to keep it running in parking mode while it's unattended. So if there were anything to occur in that time that you're away, you lost that protection by not hardwiring it, or running the extra battery.

I just bought a cigarette lighter extention, so I'll be putting the battery pack under my passenger seat. The nice thing about it is that it has a USB port on it, so at least I can have a charging cable connected to that rather than using the weirdly placed usb port on the CS center console behind the hand brake.

And, I snaked it all on the passenger side.
So I bought the blendmount for the blackvue but the grip that goes around the rearview mirror is too thick. I can install it ok with the mirror square but when I go to tilt/adjust there's just not enough space with the mount installed. Did you have this issue installing yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #32
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
So I bought the blendmount for the blackvue but the grip that goes around the rearview mirror is too thick. I can install it ok with the mirror square but when I go to tilt/adjust there's just not enough space with the mount installed. Did you have this issue installing yours?
I'm not a fan of this particular blendmount this time around. You have to unscrew a bunch of the bolts just to adjust it each time to center the camera or adjust the angle. So you really have to take it apart just to put it on and then start the camera up and check to see if the video is centered and such.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #33
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzerx View Post
Quote:
On my old car I ran the cable all the way down to the 12v volt outlet. Then I measured the voltage at the dashcam end and realized I could cut the adapter off and wire straight into the mirror. There's an article somewhere on here about which pins to use.
You can do this if not doing parking mode. There's no constant 12v power there when the car is off for longer periods of time.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #34
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not a fan of this particular blendmount this time around. You have to unscrew a bunch of the bolts just to adjust it each time to center the camera or adjust the angle. So you really have to take it apart just to put it on and then start the camera up and check to see if the video is centered and such.
Yeah I am having the same issue. Looks like it's getting returned. That's unfortunate. Yeah, I'm able to adjust the blendmount after I get my rearview mirror position perfect but then the camera sits at an off angle which doesn't fly for me. If I were to readjust the rearview for whatever reason, it will throw the whole thing off. Nice implementation, just unusable.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #35
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

I have BlackVue 2 channels in most of my other cars but went with a 3 channel Viofo this time around: https://www.viofo.com/en/home/207-a1...sh-camera.html

The install was easy enough, maybe half an hour of effort. The front camera is bigger than the Blackvues but hidden from the drivers sight by the mirror anyway. The quality is good.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #36
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

What are the types of fuses you need to tap for the camera (front + rear) usually? Mini?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #37
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

After an incident today I’m definitely going to get mine soon. I’m normally a pretty defensive driver and it’s been elevated with my cs, I avoided two accidents today. I was trying to merge into a turning lane and someone behind me wanting to go straight only missed hitting my car at a high rate of speed cause I caught him in my rear view and swerved out of the way before he even noticed I was there. Super close call. That would have been a hit and run

Some other guy parking his huge truck in reverse hit reverse infront of me and was oblivious to my presence/ had to hit reverse myself to avoid collision

Last edited by gemini.m3; 05-05-2021 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #38
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevesteve View Post
I have BlackVue 2 channels in most of my other cars but went with a 3 channel Viofo this time around: https://www.viofo.com/en/home/207-a1...sh-camera.html

The install was easy enough, maybe half an hour of effort. The front camera is bigger than the Blackvues but hidden from the drivers sight by the mirror anyway. The quality is good.
How do you like it so far? This is the brand I was leaning towards. What did you use for power supply?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #39
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How do you like it so far? This is the brand I was leaning towards. What did you use for power supply?
I like it more than the 2 channel Blackvue setups I have in most cars. The quality is good, grabbing videos is easy enough.

You can use the cigarette lighter adapter it comes with and connect that in the trunk but I purchased a wiring kit from Amazon for around 15 bucks and tapped into the battery and fuse block directly.

The GPS works right out of the box, something the Blackvues can be finnicky about.

Here is an example of the front camera, note that Youtube does compress it a bit of course:
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #40
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Is it possible to connect it to a battery and battery backup without ever tapping into the fuse box? I'm trying to minimize any tapping or splicing. I've never installed a dashcam. I guess I could check out some YouTube videos
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #41
Peterometer
Private First Class
Rep

So I used a 3 wire kit which is a little different. Instructions for that are here: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/...e-hardwire-kit

You should be able to find answers for all of this on youtube as you mentioned. I would really suggest you buy some fuse taps: https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Add-c.../dp/B01DYQM6EO

You can find them at your local auto parts store too. The installation appears more difficult than it really is. Hiding the wires is very straight forward and easy too.

The difference between a 2 camera and a three camera system is minimal in terms of installation. I would very much recommend going with a 2 channel or camera system with the back camera located in the rear window. The real advantage of the three camera setup will be capturing video of myself trying to stay composed on track days when my teenaged daughter is driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #42
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

That is very neat. I had know idea these add-a-fuse things existed
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #43
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That is very neat. I had know idea these add-a-fuse things existed
They are perfect with the open topped trunk fuse box especially. Some fuse boxes they can be a little tall for, but no issue on the CS
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #44
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

stevestevesteve I was debating between the a139, the vantrue n4 and the new 750x plus from blackvue.

I didn't go with the vantrue because with my blendmount for radar detector the in cabin camera would be useless.

where did you place the in camera with the a139? honestly, i see as much if not more value for the dash camera with all the stupidity police officers are doing these days.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0