United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
MyBMW vs Connected drive

Hey y'all,

I just posted this on the 3 and 4'er forum and wanted to spread my post so everyone can get a quick look at the new app

The new app just released and you can get it at this link if you scan it off another device

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bmw...w-app.amp.html

I've been playing around with it and here's my findings so far

1. Responsiveness is roughly the same if not a little better. With connected drive it could take as little as 15 seconds, or as much as 2 or 3 minutes if I'm really paying attention to send remote actions to the car

2. Still no customization
The biggest thing I wanted was the ability to change the way my car looked. Something as simple as changing the wheels or just being able to say the car isn't stock anymore would be awesome. I know it's not hard as many of us do OEM upgrades like 437m wheels or adding a little spoiler or even m sport conversion kits. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could change our cars in the app to reflect that change?

3. It's just a UI change
So with connected drive I only had access to the remote services and the most basic of access. No mileage counter, I can't see my fuel levels, or even what I was most excited about, seeing the status of my car like maintenance schedules or if a door is open. I think this is due to my car being a 2014 so maybe it's just not possible, or because the app is brand new to the US, but the rest of the world has it!!

Other than that I think #3 is the most indicative of how this app is. To me at least it's no more than a UI change to look newer and more related to current bmw styling. While I'm not mad that there's no new options available to me like mentioned previously, I'm simply disappointed that the app marketed to replace that godforsaken connected drive is literally the same and that they've had YEARS to fix

I hope you all with newer vehicles have better luck with it, I will have to wait and see if more features are rolled out later.
Attached Images

Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
So with connected drive I only had access to the remote services and the most basic of access. No mileage counter, I can't see my fuel levels, or even what I was most excited about, seeing the status of my car like maintenance schedules or if a door is open. I think this is due to my car being a 2014 so maybe it's just not possible, or because the app is brand new to the US, but the rest of the world has it!!
My '15 F30 is the same, only shows basic features. My '17 M2 showed more like fuel level, current mileage, etc.

I say showed (past tense) because once my M2 crossed the 4 year warranty period it stopped showing all that information and asked me to pay $50 a year for remote services. With cars newer than 2016 (I think) connected features (even the basic ones) are no longer free for life, and after the warranty expires connected drive becomes a subscription-based service. So seemingly one benefit our older cars have is that the basic remote features are free and won't ever expire. I'm not 100% sure but perhaps that $50 yearly subscription would give you all of the connected drive features you want:

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...#/portal/store
Appreciate 2
djacinto343.00
      04-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:
My '15 F30 is the same, only shows basic features. My '17 M2 showed more like fuel level, current mileage, etc.

I say showed (past tense) because once my M2 crossed the 4 year warranty period it stopped showing all that information and asked me to pay $50 a year for remote services. With cars newer than 2016 (I think) connected features (even the basic ones) are no longer free for life, and after the warranty expires connected drive becomes a subscription-based service. So seemingly one benefit our older cars have is that the basic remote features are free and won't ever expire. I'm not 100% sure but perhaps that $50 yearly subscription would give you all of the connected drive features you want:

Hey Andrew,

Your 2015 3 Series uses the older 3G telematics unit, which At&t is due to sunset on February 2022, then all the remote ConnectDrive services will be permanently disable. The fact that it's still working now is just BMW throwing you a bone and it's cheaper for them to maintain 3G service as a courtesy, I guess.

https://www.business.att.com/explore...he-switch.html

Any BMW built after 07/2015 has the newer 4G LTE telematics unit and there service is much more faster and supports more comprehensive services (such as remote gas level, mileage, window status, ect) but does require a minimum $50 annual subscription, after the first four years from your original in-service date.

The high tier 4G LTE plans range from $150 and above but including free regional map updates and Advance RTTI.

Hope this clear up some of the confusion..
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
cptobvious2531.50
      04-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Hey Andrew,

Your 2015 3 Series uses the older 3G telematics unit, which At&t is due to sunset on February 2022, then all the remote ConnectDrive services will be permanently disable. The fact that it's still working now is just BMW throwing you a bone and it's cheaper for them to maintain 3G service as a courtesy, I guess.

Any BMW built after 07/2015 has the newer 4G LTE telematics unit and there service is much more faster and supports more comprehensive services (such as remote gas level, mileage, window status, ect) but does require a minimum $50 annual subscription, after the first four from your original in-service date.

The high tier 4G LTE plans range from $150 and above but including free regional map updates and Advance RTTI.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying.

Bummer about not having anymore connected drive services on the daily driver.
      04-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Quote:

Hey Andrew,

Any BMW built after 07/2015 has the newer 4G LTE telematics unit and there service is much more faster and supports more comprehensive services (such as remote gas level, mileage, window status, ect) but does require a minimum $50 annual subscription, after the first four years from your original in-service date.

My mind is blown!

Dude! We need you working in biotech. If you spent 1/2 the time researching viruses as you do on BMWs, we wouldn't have infectious diseases anymore.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

You lose the ability to honk the horn... which iz bizarre because i see that as far more valuable than flashing the lights.
      08-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Hey y'all, something I noticed in an update about 3 weeks ago a was a feature that "displays vehicle status for older vehicle generations via Bluetooth/us" for things such as fuel level and range. I have been trying to figure this one out as I have a 2014 f32, probably one of the cars they are talking about since many of the newer 16-19 are able to see those if I recall.

Does this have to do with the 3g discontinuation? If not, has anyone else gotten this to work?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
You lose the ability to honk the horn... which iz bizarre because i see that as far more valuable than flashing the lights.
I agree except for my horn broke so now I need to get that stupid freaking twin set of pathetic honkers replaced